Forms of Non-Employee Director Restricted Stock Unit Grant Notice and Award Agreement under the 2020 Equity Incentive Plan
Non-Employee Director Form
VITAL FARMS, INC.
RSU AWARD GRANT NOTICE
(2020 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN)
Vital Farms, Inc. (the Company) has awarded to you (the Participant) the number of restricted stock units specified and on the terms set forth below in consideration of your services (the RSU Award). Your RSU Award is subject to all of the terms and conditions as set forth herein and in the Companys 2020 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) and the Award Agreement (the Agreement), which are attached hereto and incorporated herein in their entirety. Capitalized terms not explicitly defined herein but defined in the Plan or the Agreement shall have the meanings set forth in the Plan or the Agreement.
|Date of Grant:|
|Vesting Commencement Date:|
|Number of Restricted Stock Units:|
|Vesting Schedule:||Subject to the Participants Continuous Service through each applicable vesting date, the RSU Award will vest as follows:|
|Issuance Schedule:||One share of Common Stock will be issued for each restricted stock unit which vests as set forth in Section 6 of the Agreement.|
Participant Acknowledgements: By your signature below or by electronic acceptance or authentication in a form authorized by the Company, you understand and agree that:
The RSU Award is governed by this RSU Award Grant Notice (the Grant Notice), and the provisions of the Plan and the Agreement, all of which are made a part of this document. Unless otherwise provided in the Plan, this Grant Notice and the Agreement (together, the RSU Award Agreement) may not be modified, amended or revised except in a writing signed by you and a duly authorized officer of the Company.
You have read and are familiar with the provisions of the Plan, the RSU Award Agreement and the Prospectus. In the event of any conflict between the provisions in the RSU Award Agreement, or the Prospectus and the terms of the Plan, the terms of the Plan shall control.
The RSU Award Agreement sets forth the entire understanding between you and the Company regarding the acquisition of Common Stock and supersedes all prior oral and written agreements, promises and/or representations on that subject with the exception of: (i) other equity awards previously granted to you, and (ii) any written employment agreement, offer letter, severance agreement, written severance plan or policy, or other written agreement between the Company and you in each case that specifies the terms that should govern this RSU Award.
|VITAL FARMS, INC.||PARTICIPANT:|
RSU Award Agreement, 2020 Equity Incentive Plan
VITAL FARMS, INC.
2020 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
AWARD AGREEMENT (RSU AWARD)
As reflected by your Restricted Stock Unit Grant Notice (Grant Notice) Vital Farms, Inc. (the Company) has granted you a RSU Award under its 2020 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) for the number of restricted stock units as indicated in your Grant Notice (the RSU Award). The terms of your RSU Award as specified in this Award Agreement for your RSU Award (the Agreement) and the Grant Notice constitute your RSU Award Agreement. Defined terms not explicitly defined in this Agreement but defined in the Grant Notice or the Plan shall have the same definitions as in the Grant Notice or Plan, as applicable.
The general terms applicable to your RSU Award are as follows:
1. GOVERNING PLAN DOCUMENT. Your RSU Award is subject to all the provisions of the Plan, including but not limited to the provisions in:
(a) Section 6 of the Plan regarding the impact of a Capitalization Adjustment, dissolution, liquidation, or Transaction on your RSU Award;
(b) Section 9(f) of the Plan regarding the Companys retained rights to terminate your Continuous Service notwithstanding the grant of the RSU Award; and
(c) Section 8(c) of the Plan regarding the tax consequences of your RSU Award.
Your RSU Award is further subject to all interpretations, amendments, rules and regulations, which may from time to time be promulgated and adopted pursuant to the Plan. In the event of any conflict between the RSU Award Agreement and the provisions of the Plan, the provisions of the Plan shall control.
2. GRANT OF THE RSU AWARD. This RSU Award represents your right to be issued on a future date the number of shares of the Companys Common Stock that is equal to the number of restricted stock units indicated in the Grant Notice as modified to reflect any Capitalization Adjustment and subject to your satisfaction of the vesting conditions set forth therein (the Restricted Stock Units). Any additional Restricted Stock Units that become subject to the RSU Award pursuant to Capitalization Adjustments as set forth in the Plan and the provisions of Section 4 below, if any, shall be subject, in a manner determined by the Board, to the same forfeiture restrictions, restrictions on transferability, and time and manner of delivery as applicable to the other Restricted Stock Units covered by your RSU Award.
(a) Your Restricted Stock Units will vest, if at all, in accordance with the vesting schedule provided in the Grant Notice, subject to the provisions contained herein and the
terms of the Plan. Vesting will cease upon the termination of your Continuous Service. Notwithstanding the foregoing, your Restricted Stock Units will accelerate vesting in full upon a Change in Control which occurs prior to, or at the time of, termination of your Continuous Service.
(b) If any payment or benefit you would receive from the Company or otherwise in connection with a Change in Control or other similar transaction (a 280G Payment) would (i) constitute a parachute payment within the meaning of Section 280G of the Code, and (ii) but for this sentence, be subject to the excise tax imposed by Section 4999 of the Code (the Excise Tax), then any such 280G Payment (a Payment) shall be equal to the Reduced Amount. The Reduced Amount shall be either (x) the largest portion of the Payment that would result in no portion of the Payment (after reduction) being subject to the Excise Tax or (y) the largest portion, up to and including the total, of the Payment, whichever amount (i.e., the amount determined by clause (x) or by clause (y)), after taking into account all applicable federal, state and local employment taxes, income taxes, and the Excise Tax (all computed at the highest applicable marginal rate), results in your receipt, on an after-tax basis, of the greater economic benefit notwithstanding that all or some portion of the Payment may be subject to the Excise Tax. If a reduction in a Payment is required pursuant to the preceding sentence and the Reduced Amount is determined pursuant to clause (x) of the preceding sentence, the reduction shall occur in the manner (the Reduction Method) that results in the greatest economic benefit for you. If more than one method of reduction will result in the same economic benefit, the items so reduced will be reduced pro rata (the Pro Rata Reduction Method).
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if the Reduction Method or the Pro Rata Reduction Method would result in any portion of the Payment being subject to taxes pursuant to Section 409A of the Code that would not otherwise be subject to taxes pursuant to Section 409A of the Code, then the Reduction Method and/or the Pro Rata Reduction Method, as the case may be, shall be modified so as to avoid the imposition of taxes pursuant to Section 409A of the Code as follows: (A) as a first priority, the modification shall preserve to the greatest extent possible, the greatest economic benefit for you as determined on an after-tax basis; (B) as a second priority, Payments that are contingent on future events (e.g., being terminated without cause), shall be reduced (or eliminated) before Payments that are not contingent on future events; and (C) as a third priority, Payments that are deferred compensation within the meaning of Section 409A of the Code shall be reduced (or eliminated) before Payments that are not deferred compensation within the meaning of Section 409A of the Code.
Unless you and the Company agree on an alternative accounting firm, the accounting firm engaged by the Company for general tax compliance purposes as of the day prior to the effective date of the change in control transaction triggering the Payment shall perform the foregoing calculations. If the accounting firm so engaged by the Company is serving as accountant or auditor for the individual, entity or group effecting the change in control transaction, the Company shall appoint a nationally recognized accounting firm to make the determinations required hereunder. The Company shall bear all expenses with respect to the determinations by such accounting firm required to be made hereunder. The Company shall use commercially reasonable efforts to cause the accounting firm engaged to make the determinations hereunder to provide its calculations, together with detailed supporting documentation, to you and the Company within fifteen (15) calendar days after the date on which your right to a 280G Payment becomes reasonably likely to occur (if requested at that time by you or the Company) or such other time as requested by you or the Company.
If you receive a Payment for which the Reduced Amount was determined pursuant to clause (x) of the first paragraph of this Section 3(b) and the Internal Revenue Service determines thereafter that some portion of the Payment is subject to the Excise Tax, you shall promptly return to the Company a sufficient amount of the Payment (after reduction pursuant to clause (x) of the first paragraph of this Section 3(b) so that no portion of the remaining Payment is subject to the Excise Tax. For the avoidance of doubt, if the Reduced Amount was determined pursuant to clause (y) in the first paragraph of this Section 3(b), you shall have no obligation to return any portion of the Payment pursuant to the preceding sentence.
4. DIVIDENDS. You may become entitled to receive payments equal to any cash dividends and other distributions paid with respect to a corresponding number of shares of Common Stock to be issued in respect of the Restricted Stock Units covered by your RSU Award. Any such dividends or distributions shall be subject to the same forfeiture restrictions as apply to the Restricted Stock Units and shall be paid at the same time that the corresponding shares are issued in respect of your vested Restricted Stock Units, provided, however that to the extent any such dividends or distributions are paid in shares of Common Stock, then you will automatically be granted a corresponding number of additional Restricted Stock Units subject to the RSU Award (the Dividend Units), and further provided that such Dividend Units shall be subject to the same forfeiture restrictions and restrictions on transferability, and same timing requirements for issuance of shares, as apply to the Restricted Stock Units subject to the RSU Award with respect to which the Dividend Units relate.
5. WITHHOLDING OBLIGATIONS. As further provided in Section 8 of the Plan, you hereby authorize withholding from payroll and any other amounts payable to you, and otherwise agree to make adequate provision for, any sums required to satisfy the federal, state, local and foreign tax withholding obligations, if any, which arise in connection with your RSU Award (the Withholding Obligation) in accordance with the withholding procedures established by the Company. Unless the Withholding Obligation is satisfied, the Company shall have no obligation to deliver to you any Common Stock in respect of the RSU Award. In the event the Withholding Obligation of the Company arises prior to the delivery to you of Common Stock or it is determined after the delivery of Common Stock to you that the amount of the Withholding Obligation was greater than the amount withheld by the Company, you agree to indemnify and hold the Company harmless from any failure by the Company to withhold the proper amount.
6. DATE OF ISSUANCE.
(a) Unless there is a Deferral Election (as described below), the issuance of shares in respect of the Restricted Stock Units is intended to comply with Treasury Regulations Section 1.409A-1(b)(4) and will be construed and administered in such a manner. Subject to the satisfaction of the Withholding Obligation, if any, in the event one or more Restricted Stock Units vests, the Company shall issue to you one (1) share of Common Stock for each Restricted Stock Unit that vests on the applicable vesting date(s) (subject to any adjustment under Section 4 above, and subject to any different provisions in the Grant Notice); provided that, if there is a Deferral Election (as described below) such issuance of Common Stock to you shall occur on the applicable date or event specified in such Deferral Election. Each issuance date determined by this paragraph is referred to as an Original Issuance Date.
(b) If the Original Issuance Date falls on a date that is not a business day, delivery shall instead occur on the next following business day. In addition, if:
(i) the Original Issuance Date does not occur (1) during an open window period applicable to you, as determined by the Company in accordance with the Companys then-effective policy on trading in Company securities, or (2) on a date when you are otherwise permitted to sell shares of Common Stock on an established stock exchange or stock market (including but not limited to under a previously established written trading plan that meets the requirements of Rule 10b5-1 under the Exchange Act and was entered into in compliance with the Companys policies (a 10b5-1 Arrangement)), and
(ii) either (1) a Withholding Obligation does not apply, or (2) the Company decides, prior to the Original Issuance Date, (A) not to satisfy the Withholding Obligation by withholding shares of Common Stock from the shares otherwise due, on the Original Issuance Date, to you under this Award, and (B) not to permit you to enter into a same day sale commitment with a broker-dealer (including but not limited to a commitment under a 10b5-1 Arrangement) and (C) not to permit you to pay your Withholding Obligation in cash,
(iii) then the shares that would otherwise be issued to you on the Original Issuance Date will not be delivered on such Original Issuance Date and will instead be delivered on the first business day when you are not prohibited from selling shares of the Companys Common Stock in the open public market, but in no event later than December 31 of the calendar year in which the Original Issuance Date occurs (that is, the last day of your taxable year in which the Original Issuance Date occurs), or, there is no Deferral Election and if and only if permitted in a manner that complies with Treasury Regulations Section 1.409A-1(b)(4), no later than the date that is the 15th day of the third calendar month of the applicable year following the year in which the shares of Common Stock under this Award are no longer subject to a substantial risk of forfeiture within the meaning of Treasury Regulations Section 1.409A-1(d).
For purposes of this Agreement, a Deferral Election means your effective and timely election, if any, to defer the shares of Common Stock issuable to you upon vesting of the Restricted Stock Units under this Agreement, provided such election is permitted by the Company, made by you in writing on a form provided by the Company and submitted to the Company on a timely basis in compliance with the requirements of Section 409A and the procedures and deadlines established by the Company. If there is a Deferral Election in place, the issuance of shares in respect of your Restricted Stock Units is intended to comply with the requirements of Section 409A (including any automatic issuance delay required if you are a specified employee as defined in Section 409A(a)(2)(B)(i) of the Code) so that the delivery of the shares to you will not trigger the additional tax imposed under Section 409A, and any ambiguities herein will be so interpreted.
(c) To the extent the RSU Award is a Non-Exempt RSU Award, the provisions of Section 11 of the Plan shall apply.
7. LOCK-UP PERIOD. By accepting your RSU Award, you agree that you will not sell, dispose of, transfer, make any short sale of, grant any option for the purchase of, or enter into any hedging or similar transaction with the same economic effect as a sale with respect to any shares of Common Stock or other securities of the Company held by you, for a period of one hundred eighty (180) days following the effective date of a registration statement of the Company filed under the Securities Act or such longer period as the underwriters or the Company will request to facilitate compliance with FINRA Rule 2241 or any successor or similar rules or regulation (the Lock-Up Period); provided, however, that nothing contained in this Section 7 will prevent the exercise of a repurchase option, if any, in favor of the Company during the Lock-Up Period. You further agree to execute and deliver such other agreements as may be reasonably requested by the Company or the underwriters that are consistent with the foregoing or that are necessary to give further effect thereto. In order to enforce the foregoing covenant, the Company may impose stop-transfer instructions with respect to your shares of Common Stock until the end of such period. You also agree that any transferee of any shares of Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company held by you will be bound by this Section 7. The underwriters of the Companys stock are intended third party beneficiaries of this Section 7 and will have the right, power and authority to enforce the provisions hereof as though they were a party hereto.
8. TRANSFERABILITY. Except as otherwise provided in the Plan, your RSU Award is not transferable, except by will or by the applicable laws of descent and distribution.
9. TRANSACTION. Your RSU Award is subject to the terms of any agreement governing a Transaction involving the Company, including, without limitation, a provision for the appointment of a stockholder representative that is authorized to act on your behalf with respect to any escrow, indemnities and any contingent consideration.
10. NO LIABILITY FOR TAXES. As a condition to accepting the RSU Award, you hereby (a) agree to not make any claim against the Company, or any of its Officers, Directors, Employees or Affiliates related to tax liabilities arising from the RSU Award or other Company compensation and (b) acknowledge that you were advised to consult with your own personal tax, financial and other legal advisors regarding the tax consequences of the RSU Award and have either done so or knowingly and voluntarily declined to do so.
11. SEVERABILITY. If any part of this Agreement or the Plan is declared by any court or governmental authority to be unlawful or invalid, such unlawfulness or invalidity will not invalidate any portion of this Agreement or the Plan not declared to be unlawful or invalid. Any Section of this Agreement (or part of such a Section) so declared to be unlawful or invalid will, if possible, be construed in a manner which will give effect to the terms of such Section or part of a Section to the fullest extent possible while remaining lawful and valid.
12. OTHER DOCUMENTS. You hereby acknowledge receipt of or the right to receive a document providing the information required by Rule 428(b)(1) promulgated under the Securities Act, which includes the Prospectus. In addition, you acknowledge receipt of the Companys Trading Policy.
13. QUESTIONS. If you have questions regarding these or any other terms and conditions applicable to your RSU Award, including a summary of the applicable federal income tax consequences please see the Prospectus.