Form of Nonqualified Stock Option Award Notice and Agreement under the 2019 Omnibus Incentive Plan
VELOCITY FINANCIAL, INC.
2019 OMNIBUS INCENTIVE PLAN
NONQUALIFIED STOCK OPTION AWARD NOTICE
Participant has been granted a stock option to purchase shares of Common Stock with the terms set forth in this Award Notice, and subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan and the Nonqualified Stock Option Agreement to which this Award Notice is attached. Capitalized terms used and not defined in this Award Notice will have the meanings set forth in the Nonqualified Stock Option Agreement and the Plan. In the event the IPO is not consummated within thirty (30) days following the Date of Grant this Award Notice shall be null and void and of no further force or effect.
Number of Shares
Subject to Option
|[______]||[______] Shares||[______]||[__]% vests on each of the first four (4) anniversaries of the Date of Grant||[______]|
Vesting of the Option as specified in the chart above is subject to Participants continued employment or service through the applicable vesting date. If the number of Shares is not evenly divisible by four (4), then no fractional Share will vest and the installments will be as equal as possible with the smaller installment(s) vesting first. Each such right of purchase will be cumulative and will continue, unless sooner exercised or terminated as herein provided, during the remaining period of the Option Period.
VELOCITY FINANCIAL, INC.
2019 OMNIBUS INCENTIVE PLAN
NONQUALIFIED STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT
This Nonqualified Stock Option Agreement, effective as of the Date of Grant (as defined below), is between Velocity Financial, Inc., a Delaware corporation (together with its successors and assigns, the Company), and the individual listed in the Award Notice as the Participant. Capitalized terms have the meaning set forth in Section 1, or, if not otherwise defined herein, in the Velocity Financial, Inc. 2019 Omnibus Incentive Plan (as it may be amended, the Plan).
1. Definitions. The following terms have the following meanings for purposes of this Agreement:
(a) Agreement means this Nonqualified Stock Option Agreement including (unless the context otherwise requires) the Award Notice.
(b) Award Notice means the notice pursuant to which Participant was granted the Option.
(c) Exercise Price means the Exercise Price listed in the Award Notice.
(d) Date of Grant means the Date of Grant listed in the Award Notice.
(e) IPO means the initial public offering of Velocity Financial, Inc.
(f) Officer means officer as defined under Rule 16a-1(f) of the Exchange Act.
(g) Participant means the Participant listed in the Award Notice.
(h) Restrictive Covenant Violation means Participants breach of any covenant regarding confidential information and trade secrets, solicitation of the Company Groups employees, ownership of intellectual property, nondisparagement or any other restrictive covenant in favor of the Company Group applicable to or agreed to by Participant.
(i) Shares means the number of shares of Common Stock listed in the Award Notice as Number of Shares Subject to Option, as adjusted in accordance with the Plan.
2. Grant of Option.
(a) Effective as of the Date of Grant, the Company hereby irrevocably grants to Participant the right and option (the Option) to purchase all or any part of the Shares, subject to and in accordance with the terms, conditions and restrictions set forth in the Plan, the Award Notice, and this Agreement. The Option will vest in accordance with the schedule set forth on the Award Notice. Any fractional Share underlying the Option shall be settled in cash within two and one-half (21⁄2) months from the Date of Grant.
(b) The Option is not intended to qualify as an Incentive Stock Option within the meaning of Section 422 of the Code.
(c) This Agreement will be construed in accordance and consistent with, and subject to, the terms of the Plan (the provisions of which are incorporated hereby by reference). In the event of any conflict between one or more of this Agreement, the Award Notice and the Plan, the Plan will govern this Agreement and the Award Notice, and this Agreement (to the extent not in conflict with the Plan) will govern the Award Notice.
3. Exercise Price. The price at which Participant will be entitled to purchase the Shares upon the exercise of the Option will be the Exercise Price per Share, subject to adjustment as provided in Section 11.
4. Exercisability of Option. The Option will become vested and exercisable in accordance with the schedule set forth on the Award Notice.
5. Duration of Option. The Option will be exercisable to the extent and in the manner provided herein for a period of ten (10) years from the Date of Grant (the Option Period); provided, that the Option may be earlier terminated as provided in Section 7.
6. Manner of Exercise and Payment.
(a) Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the Plan, the Option may be exercised by delivery of written or electronic notice to the Company in the manner prescribed in Section 7(d) of the Plan and as otherwise set forth by the Committee from time to time. Such notice will set forth the number of Shares in respect of which the Option is being exercised and will be signed by the person or persons exercising the Option. In the event the Company has designated an Award Administrator (as defined below), the Option may also be exercised by giving notice (including through electronic means) in accordance with the procedures established from time to time by the Award Administrator. Any exercisable portion of the Option or the entire Option, if then wholly exercisable, may be exercised in whole or in part, provided that partial exercise will be for whole Shares only.
(b) Upon exercise of the Option pursuant to Section 6(a), unless otherwise determined by the Committee, the Company will withhold a number of Shares otherwise deliverable to Participant to pay (i) the full purchase price for the Shares in respect of which the Option is being exercised and (ii) an amount necessary to satisfy applicable U.S. and non-U.S. Federal, state or local tax or other withholding requirements, if any (Withholding Taxes) in accordance with Section 14(d) of the Plan (or, if Participant is subject to Section 16 of the Exchange Act at such time, such amount which would not result in adverse consequences under
GAAP), unless otherwise agreed to in writing by Participant and the Company. The number of Shares to be withheld or otherwise used for payment will be calculated using the closing price per Share on the New York Stock Exchange (or other principal exchange on which the Shares then trade) on the date of determination, and will be rounded up to the nearest whole Share.
(c) Upon receipt of the notice of exercise and any payment or other documentation as may be necessary pursuant to Sections 6(a) and 6(b) relating to the Shares in respect of which the Option is being exercised, the Company will, subject to the Plan and this Agreement, take such action as may be necessary to effect the transfer to Participant of the number of Shares as to which such exercise was effective.
(d) Participant will not be deemed to be the holder of, or to have any of the rights and privileges of a stockholder of the Company (including the right to vote or receive dividends) in respect of, Shares purchased upon exercise of the Option until (i) the Option has been exercised pursuant to the terms of this Agreement and Participant has paid the full purchase price for the number of Shares in respect of which the Option was exercised and any applicable Withholding Taxes and (ii) the Company has issued the Shares in connection with such exercise. Notwithstanding the foregoing, unless otherwise determined by the Committee, Participant may otherwise elect to make all or a portion of such payments in cash, check, cash equivalent, and/or Shares, or as provided in Section 14(d) of the Plan.
7. Termination of Employment or Service.
(a) Subject to Section 7(c) below, in the event that Participants employment or service with the Company Group terminates for any reason, any unvested portion of the Option will be forfeited and all of Participants rights under this Agreement will terminate as of the effective date of Termination (the Termination Date) (unless otherwise provided for by the Committee in accordance with the Plan).
(b) If Participants employment or service is terminated by the Company Group for Cause or by Participant when grounds existed for Cause at the time thereof, the vested and unvested portions of the Option will terminate as of the Termination Date.
(c) In the event (i) Participants employment or service with the Company Group is terminated by the Company due to death or Disability, the vested portion of the Option will remain exercisable for one (1) year thereafter (but in no event beyond the Option Period) or (ii) Participants employment or service with the Company Group is terminated for any other reason (subject to Section 7(b)), the vested portion of the Option will remain exercisable for ninety (90) days thereafter (but in no event beyond the Option Period); provided, that, in each case, the Option Period will expire immediately upon the occurrence of a Restrictive Covenant Violation.
(d) Participants rights with respect to the Option will not be affected by any change in the nature of Participants employment or service so long as Participant continues to be an employee or service provider of the Company Group. Whether (and the circumstances under which) employment or service has terminated and the determination of the Termination Date for the purposes of this Agreement will be determined by the Committee (or, with respect to any Participant who is not a director or Officer, its designee, whose good faith determination will be final, binding and conclusive; provided, that such designee may not make any such determination with respect to the designees own employment or service for purposes of the Option).
8. Restrictions on Transfer. Participant may not assign, alienate, pledge, attach, sell or otherwise transfer or encumber the Option or Participants right under the Option to receive Shares, other than to Permitted Transferees as may be permitted by the Committee from time to time in accordance with applicable laws and Section 14(b) of the Plan. Except as otherwise provided herein, no assignment or transfer of the Option, or of the rights represented thereby, whether voluntary or involuntary, by operation of law or otherwise, shall vest in the assignee or transferee any interest or right herein whatsoever, but immediately upon such assignment or transfer the Option shall terminate and become of no further effect.
[FOR IPO GRANTS: Participant further hereby agrees that Participant shall, without further action on the part of Participant, be bound by the provisions of the lock-up letter executed by the executive officers of the Company to the same extent as if Participant had directly executed such lock-up letter himself or herself. Such lock-up letter will provide that Participant shall not, subject to specified exceptions, dispose of or hedge any shares of Common Stock of the Company or securities convertible into or exchangeable for shares of Common Stock of the Company during the period from the date of the final prospectus relating to the IPO and continuing through the date one hundred eighty (180) days after the date of such prospectus, except with the prior written consent of the representatives of the underwriters.]
9. Repayment of Proceeds; Clawback Policy. The Option and all proceeds related to the Option are subject to the clawback and repayment terms set forth in Section 14(v) and 14(w) of the Plan and the Companys clawback policy, as in effect from time to time, to the extent Participant is a director or Officer. In addition, if a Restrictive Covenant Violation occurs or the Company discovers after Participants Termination that grounds existed for Cause at the time thereof, then Participant will be required, in addition to any other remedy available (on a non-exclusive basis), to pay to the Company, within ten (10) business days of the Companys request to Participant therefor, an amount equal to the excess, if any, of (a) the aggregate after-tax proceeds (taking into account all amounts of tax that would be recoverable upon a claim of loss for payment of such proceeds in the year of repayment) Participant received upon the sale or other disposition of, or distributions in respect of, the Option and any Shares acquired in respect thereof over (b) the aggregate Cost (if any) of such Shares. For purposes of this Agreement, Cost means, in respect of any Share, the Exercise Price, to the extent paid by Participant for such Share, as proportionately adjusted for all subsequent distributions on the Shares and other recapitalizations and less the amount of any distributions made with respect to the Share pursuant to the Companys organizational documents; provided, that Cost may not be less than zero (0). Any reference in this Agreement to grounds existing for a Termination for Cause will be determined without regard to any notice period, cure period, or other procedural delay or event required prior to a finding of or Termination for Cause.
10. No Right to Continued Employment or Engagement. Neither the Plan nor this Agreement nor Participants receipt of the Option hereunder will impose any obligation on the Company Group to continue the employment or engagement of Participant. Further, the Company Group may at any time terminate the employment or engagement of Participant, free from any liability or claim under the Plan or this Agreement, except as otherwise expressly provided herein.
11. Adjustments. The terms of this Agreement, including, without limitation, (a) the number of Shares subject to the Option and (b) the Exercise Price specified herein, will be subject to adjustment in accordance with Section 12 of the Plan.
12. Award Subject to Plan. The Option granted hereunder is subject to the Plan and the terms of the Plan are hereby incorporated into this Agreement. By accepting the Option, Participant acknowledges that Participant has received and read the Plan and agrees to be bound by the terms, conditions, and restrictions set forth in the Plan, this Agreement, and the Companys policies, as in effect from time to time, relating to the Plan. In the event of a conflict between any term or provision contained herein and a term or provision of the Plan, the applicable terms and provisions of the Plan will govern and prevail.
13. Severability. Should any provision of this Agreement be held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be unenforceable or invalid for any reason, the remaining provisions of this Agreement will not be affected by such holding and will continue in full force in accordance with their terms.
14. Governing Law; Venue; Language. This Agreement will be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Delaware applicable to contracts made and performed wholly within the State of Delaware, without giving effect to the conflict of laws provisions thereof. Any suit, action or proceeding with respect to this Agreement (or any provision incorporated by reference), or any judgment entered by any court in respect of any thereof, will be brought in any court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Delaware or the State of California, and each of Participant, the Company, and any Permitted Transferees who hold a portion of the Option pursuant to a valid assignment, hereby submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of such courts for the purpose of any such suit, action, proceeding, or judgment. Each of Participant, the Company, and any Permitted Transferees who hold a portion of the Option pursuant to a valid assignment hereby irrevocably waives (a) any objections which it may now or hereafter have to the laying of the venue of any suit, action, or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement brought in any court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Delaware or the State of California, (b) any claim that any such suit, action, or proceeding brought in any such court has been brought in any inconvenient forum and (c) any right to a jury trial. If Participant has received a copy of this Agreement (or the Plan or any other document related hereto or thereto) translated into a language other than English, such translated copy is qualified in its entirety by reference to the English version thereof, and in the event of any conflict the English version will govern. Participant acknowledges that Participant is sufficiently proficient in English to understand the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
15. Successors in Interest. Any successor to the Company will have the benefits of the Company under, and be entitled to enforce, this Agreement. Likewise, Participants legal representative will have the benefits of Participant under, and be entitled to enforce, this Agreement. All obligations imposed upon Participant and all rights granted to the Company under this Agreement will be final, binding and conclusive upon Participants heirs, executors, administrators and successors.
16. Data Privacy Acknowledgement.
(a) General. Participant hereby explicitly and unambiguously acknowledges and agrees to the collection, use and transfer, in electronic or other form, of Participants personal data as described in this Agreement and any other Option grant materials by and among, as applicable, Participants employer or contracting party (the Employer) and the Company for the exclusive purpose of implementing, administering and managing Participants participation in the Plan. Participant understands that the Company may hold certain personal information about Participant, including, but not limited to, Participants name, home address, email address and telephone number, work location and phone number, date of birth, social insurance number, passport or other identification number, salary, nationality, job title, hire date, any shares of stock or directorships held in the Company, details of all awards or any other entitlement to shares awarded, cancelled, exercised, vested, unvested or outstanding in Participants favor, for the purpose of implementing, administering and managing Participants participation in the Plan (Personal Data).
(b) Use of Personal Data; Retention. Participant understands that Personal Data may be transferred to Fidelity or any other third parties assisting in the implementation, administration and management of the Plan, now or in the future, that these recipients may be located in Participants country or elsewhere, and that a recipients country may have different data privacy laws and protections than Participants country. Participant understands that Participant may request a list with the names and addresses of any potential recipients of the Personal Data by contacting Participants local human resources representative. Participant authorizes the recipients to receive, possess, use, retain and transfer the Personal Data, in electronic or other form, for the purposes of implementing, administering and managing Participants participation in the Plan. Participant understands that Personal Data will be held only as long as is necessary to implement, administer and manage Participants participation in the Plan. Participant understands that Participant may, at any time, view Personal Data, request additional information about the storage and processing of Personal Data, require any necessary amendments to Personal Data or refuse or withdraw the consents herein, in any case without cost, by contacting in writing Participants local human resources representative.
(c) Withdrawal of Consent. Participant understands that Participant is providing the consents herein on a purely voluntary basis. If Participant does not consent, or if Participant later seeks to revoke Participants consent, Participants employment status or service with the Employer will not be affected; the only consequence of Participants refusing or withdrawing Participants consent is that the Company would not be able to grant options or other equity awards to Participant or administer or maintain such awards. Therefore, Participant understands that refusing or withdrawing Participants consent may affect Participants ability to participate in the Plan. For more information on the consequences of Participants refusal to consent or withdrawal of consent, Participant understands that Participant may contact Participants local human resources representative.
17. Prior Agreements; Restrictive Covenants. Participant agrees that, unless Participant has previously executed the Confidentiality, Non-Interference and Invention Assignment Agreement, Participant is required, as a condition to the grant of the Option, to execute and return to the Company a copy of the Confidentiality, Non-Interference and Invention Assignment Agreement attached hereto as Appendix A (the restrictive covenants contained in the Confidentiality, Non-Interference and Invention Assignment Agreement are referred to in this Agreement as the Restrictive Covenants). Participant acknowledges and agrees that the Companys remedies at law for a breach or threatened breach of any of the Restrictive Covenants would be inadequate and the Company Group would suffer irreparable damages as a result of such breach or threatened breach. In recognition of this fact, Participant agrees that, in the event of such a breach or threatened breach, in addition to any remedies at law, the Company, without posting any bond, shall be entitled to cease making any payments or providing any benefit otherwise required by this Agreement and obtain equitable relief in the form of specific performance, temporary restraining order, temporary or permanent injunction or any other equitable remedy which may then be available. For the avoidance of doubt, the Restrictive Covenants contained in the Confidentiality, Non-Interference and Invention Assignment Agreement are in addition to, and not in lieu of, any other restrictive covenants or similar covenants or agreements between Participant and the Company Group. For purposes of this Agreement, Restrictive Covenant Violation shall include Participants breach of any of the Restrictive Covenants or any similar provision applicable to Participant.
18. Limitation on Rights; No Right to Future Grants; Extraordinary Item of Compensation. By accepting this Agreement and the grant of the Option evidenced hereby, Participant expressly acknowledges that (a) the Plan is established voluntarily by the Company, it is discretionary in nature and may be suspended or terminated by the Company at any time to the extent permitted by the Plan; (b) the grant of the Option is exceptional, voluntary and occasional and it does not create any contractual or other right to receive future grants of options, or benefits in lieu of options, even if options have been granted in the past; (c) all determinations with respect to future option grants, if any, including the grant date, the number of Shares granted, the exercise price and the exercise date or dates, will be at the sole discretion of the Company; (d) Participants participation in the Plan is voluntary and not a condition of employment or service, and Participant may decline to accept the Option without adverse consequences to Participants continued employment or service relationship with the Company Group; (e) the value of the Option is an extraordinary item that is outside the scope of Participants employment or service contract, if any, and nothing can or must automatically be inferred from such employment or service contract or its consequences; (f) Options and any Shares acquired under the Plan, and the income from and value of same, are not part of normal or expected compensation for any purpose and are not to be used for calculating any severance, resignation, redundancy, end of service payments, bonuses, long-service awards, pension or retirement benefits or similar payments, Participant waives any claim on such basis and, for the avoidance of doubt, the Option will not constitute an acquired right under the applicable law of any jurisdiction; (g) if the underlying Shares do not increase in value, the Option will have no value; (h) if Participant exercises the Option and acquires Shares, the value of such Shares may increase or decrease in value, even below the Exercise Price; and (i) the future value of the underlying Shares is unknown and cannot be predicted with certainty. In addition, Participant understands, acknowledges and agrees that Participant will have no rights to compensation or damages related to Option proceeds in consequence of Participants Termination for any reason whatsoever and whether or not in breach of contract.
19. Award Administrator. The Company may from time to time designate a third party (an Award Administrator) to assist the Company in the implementation, administration and management of the Plan and any Options granted thereunder, including by sending award notices on behalf of the Company to Participants, and by facilitating through electronic means acceptance of Agreement by Participants and Option exercises by Participants.
20. Book Entry Delivery of Shares. Whenever reference in this Agreement is made to the issuance or delivery of certificates representing one or more Shares, the Company may elect to issue or deliver such Shares in book entry form in lieu of certificates.
21. Electronic Delivery and Acceptance. This Agreement may be executed electronically and in counterparts. The Company may, in its sole discretion, decide to deliver any documents related to the Plan by electronic means. Participant hereby consents to receive such documents by electronic delivery and agrees to participate in the Plan through an on-line or electronic system established and maintained by the Company or a third party designated by the Company.
22. Acceptance and Agreement by Participant; Forfeiture upon Failure to Accept. Participants rights under the Option will lapse ninety (90) days from the Date of Grant, and the Option will be forfeited on such date if Participant will not have accepted this Agreement by such date. For the avoidance of doubt, Participants failure to accept this Agreement will not affect Participants continuing obligations under any other agreement between the Company and Participant.
23. No Advice Regarding Grant. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, Participant acknowledges and agrees that the Company is not providing any tax, legal or financial advice, nor is the Company making any recommendations regarding Participants participation in the Plan, or Participants acquisition or sale of the underlying Shares. Participant is hereby advised to consult with Participants own personal tax, legal and financial advisors regarding Participants participation in the Plan before taking any action related to the Plan.
24. Imposition of Other Requirements. The Company reserves the right to impose other requirements on Participants participation in the Plan, on the Option and on any Shares acquired under the Plan, to the extent the Company determines it is necessary or advisable for legal or administrative reasons, and to require Participant to sign any additional agreements or undertakings that may be necessary to accomplish the foregoing.
25. Waiver. Participant acknowledges that a waiver by the Company of breach of any provision of this Agreement will not operate or be construed as a waiver of any other provision of this Agreement, or of any subsequent breach by Participant or any other participant in the Plan.
26. Notices. Any notice necessary under this Agreement shall be addressed to the Company in care of its Corporate Secretary at the principal executive office of the Company and to Participant at the address appearing in the personnel records of the Company for such Participant or to either party at such other address as either party hereto may hereafter designate in writing to the other. Any such notice shall be deemed effective upon receipt thereof by the addressee.
[Signature Page Follows]
|VELOCITY FINANCIAL, INC.|
Acknowledged and Agreed
as of the date first written above: