Separation and Consulting Agreement, by and between Rekha Hemrajani and RAPT Therapeutics, Inc., dated March 19, 2019
March 19, 2019
This letter sets forth the substance of the separation and consulting agreement (the Agreement) that FLX Bio, Inc. (the Company) is offering to you.
1. SEPARATION. Pursuant to our discussions, you are resigning your employment with the Company effective today, March 19, 2019 (the Separation Date) and the Company has accepted your resignation as of the Separation Date. The Separation Date will be your last day of work for the Company and your employment termination date.
2. ACCRUED SALARY AND PAID TIME OFF. On the Separation Date, the Company will pay you all accrued salary, and all accrued and unused vacation earned through the Separation Date, subject to standard payroll deductions and withholdings. You are entitled to these payments by law.
3. HEALTH INSURANCE. To the extent provided by the federal COBRA law or, if applicable, state insurance laws, and by the Companys current group health insurance policies, you will be eligible to continue your group health insurance benefits at your own expense following the Separation Date. Later, you may be able to convert to an individual policy through the provider of the Companys health insurance, if you wish. You will be provided with a separate notice describing your rights and obligations under COBRA.
4. PROMISSORY NOTE. You entered into a Limited Recourse Promissory Note effective June 15, 2016 by which you became indebted to the Company in the amount of $255,000. The principal amount of the loan under the Promissory Note was reduced on February 13, 2018 in connection with the repurchase by the Company from The Sanjay Popli & Rekha Hemrajani Revocable Living Trust of 50,000 shares of common stock of the Company and on March 19, 2019 in connection with the repurchase by the Company from The Sanjay Popli & Rekha Hemrajani Revocable Living Trust of 321,876 shares of common stock of the Company. The amount of principal and accrued interest currently outstanding on the loan is $138,236.10. Pursuant to the Promissory Note, you must repay the outstanding principal amount of the loan, plus interest, immediately upon your voluntary termination of services to the Company. You acknowledge that you are voluntarily terminating your services to the Company as of the Separation Date and agree to repay the outstanding principal and interest to the Company within thirty (30) days after the Separation Date, in which case the Company agrees to reduce the amount of accrued interest payable by you under the Promissory Note by $4,669.15 (the Interest Reduction Amount). You acknowledge and agree that the Interest Reduction Amount will be a taxable benefit paid by the Company to you.
5. CONSULTING AGREEMENT. If you timely sign this Agreement, allow it to become effective, and comply with your obligations under this Agreement, including, but not limited to, your obligation to repay the loan described in Paragraph 4, then the Company will engage your S-Corp entity as a consultant under the terms set forth below.
a. Consulting Period. You will serve as a consultant to the Company beginning on March 20, 2019, and ending on June 20, 2019 (the Consulting Period) as a Senior Advisor to the CEO, unless terminated earlier pursuant to Section 5(j).
b. Consulting Services. As a consultant, you will be responsible for assisting the Company in any area of your expertise, as reasonably requested by the Company (the Consulting Services). It is anticipated that you will provide eight (8) hours of Consulting Services per week. You will conduct the Consulting Services at a location of your choosing. You will exercise the highest degree of professionalism and utilize your expertise and creative talents in performing the Consulting Services. You will exercise the highest degree of professionalism and utilize your expertise and creative talents in performing the Consulting Services.
c. Consulting Fee. Provided that you (i) perform the Consulting Services to the Companys satisfaction (as determined by the Company in its sole discretion), and (ii) comply with your contractual obligations to the Company (including, without limitation, the obligations set forth herein), then the Company will pay you consulting fees equal to $425.00 per hour.
d. Equity. During your employment with the Company, you were granted options to purchase shares of the Companys common stock pursuant to the Companys 2015 Stock Plan (the Plan). You agree that during the Consulting Period, the vesting on these options will cease. As a further benefit to you, however, the Company will extend the time period during which you may exercise your vested options such that you may exercise any shares that vested during your employment through June 20, 2020, subject to your continued compliance with all legal and contractual obligations you owe to the Company. You are encouraged to obtain independent tax advice concerning your options and how the terms of this Agreement may affect the tax treatment of the options. Except as expressly provided herein, the options shall continue to be governed in all respects by the governing plan documents and agreements.
e. Tax Treatment. The Company will not make any withholdings or deductions, and will issue you a form 1099, with respect to any consulting fees paid to you. You will be responsible for all taxes with respect to the consulting fees, and you agree to indemnify, hold harmless and defend the Company from any and all claims, liabilities, damages, taxes, fines or penalties sought or recovered by any governmental entity, including but not limited to the Internal Revenue Service or any state taxing authority, arising out of or in connection with the consulting fees.
f. Independent Contractor Status. You agree that during the Consulting Period, (i) you will be an independent contractor to the Company and not an employee of the Company, and (ii) the Company will not make payments for state or federal income tax, FICA (social security and Medicare), make unemployment insurance or disability insurance contributions, or obtain workers compensation insurance on your behalf.
g. Protection of Information. You agree that during the Consulting Period and thereafter, you will not use or disclose any confidential or proprietary information or materials of the Company that you obtain or develop in the course of performing consulting services for the Company. Any and all work product you create in the course of performing consulting services for the Company will be the sole and exclusive property of the Company. You hereby assign to the Company all right, title, and interest in all inventions, techniques, processes, materials, and other intellectual property developed in the course of performing consulting services for the Company.
h. Limitations on Authority. You will have no responsibilities or authority as a consultant to the Company other than as provided above. You agree not to represent or purport to represent the Company in any manner whatsoever to any third party except with my prior written consent.
i. Standards of Conduct; Noncompetition. You agree not to engage in any conduct during the Consulting Period that is detrimental to the interests of the Company. You further agree during the Consulting Period that you will not, directly or indirectly, as an officer, director, employee, consultant, owner, manager, member, partner, or in any other capacity solicit, perform, or provide, or attempt to perform or provide Conflicting Services in the United States, nor will you assist another person to solicit, perform or provide or attempt to perform or provide Conflicting Services in the United States. You and the Company agree that for purposes of this Agreement, Conflicting Services means any product, service, or process or the research and development thereof, of any person or organization other than the Company that is substantially similar to or competitive with a product, service, or process, including the research and development thereof, of the Company. Notwithstanding the above, you will not be deemed to be engaged directly or indirectly in any Conflicting Services if you participate in any such business solely as a passive investor in up to one percent (1%) of the equity securities of a company or partnership, the securities of which are publicly traded. The Company understands that you will be employed by Arcus Biosciences during the Consulting Period, which the Company does not consider to be Conflicting Services.
j. Termination of Consulting Period. Either you or the Company may terminate the Consulting Period, at any time and for any reason, upon thirty (30) days written notice to the other party. Upon termination of the Consulting Period by either party, the Company will have no further obligations to you, including any obligation to pay you further consulting fees.
6. OTHER COMPENSATION OR BENEFITS. You acknowledge that, except as expressly provided in this Agreement, you will not receive any additional compensation, severance, or benefits after the Separation Date. You further expressly acknowledge and agree that you are not entitled to any severance benefits from the Company under the terms of your Employment Agreement with the Company as your termination is not Involuntary as that term is defined in the Employment Agreement.
7. EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENTS. You agree that, within ten (10) days after the Separation Date, you will submit your final documented expense reimbursement statement reflecting all business expenses you incurred through the Separation Date, if any, for which you seek reimbursement. The Company will reimburse you for these expenses pursuant to its regular business practice.
8. RETURN OF COMPANY PROPERTY. By the Separation Date, you agree to return to the Company all Company documents (and all copies thereof) and other Company property within your possession, custody or control, including, but not limited to, Company files, notes, drawings, records, business plans and forecasts, financial information, specifications, computer-recorded information, tangible property (including, but not limited to), credit cards, entry cards, identification badges, and keys; and, any materials of any kind that contain or embody any proprietary or confidential information of the Company (and all reproductions thereof); provided, however, that you are permitted to retain any Company property that is necessary for the performance of your services under the Consulting Agreement. Your timely return of all such Company documents and other property is a condition precedent to your receipt of the benefits provided under this Agreement.
9. PROPRIETARY INFORMATION OBLIGATIONS. You acknowledge and agree to abide by your continuing obligations under your Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit A.
10. CONFIDENTIALITY. The provisions of this Agreement will be held in strictest confidence by you and will not be publicized or disclosed in any manner whatsoever; provided, however, that: (a) you may disclose this Agreement to your immediate family; (b) you may disclose this Agreement in confidence to your attorneys, accountants, auditors, tax preparers, and financial advisors; (c) you may disclose this Agreement, and any other documents or information (without notice to the Company) when communicating with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Securities and Exchange Commission or any other federal, state or local governmental agency or commission (Governmental Agencies), or during the course of an investigation or proceeding that may be conducted by any Government Agency; and (d) you may disclose this Agreement insofar as such disclosure may be necessary to enforce its terms or as otherwise required by law. In particular, and without limitation, you agree not to disclose the terms of this Agreement to any current or former Company employee. Nothing in this provision or this Agreement is intended to prohibit or restrain you in any manner from making disclosures that are protected under the whistleblower provisions of federal or state law or regulation.
11. NONDISPARAGEMENT. You agree not to disparage the Company and its officers, directors, employees, shareholders and agents, in any manner likely to be harmful to them or their business, business reputations or personal reputations, and the Companys officers and directors agree not to disparage you in any manner likely to be harmful to your personal or professional reputations; provided that both you and the Company may respond accurately and fully to any question, inquiry or request for information when required by legal process (e.g., a valid subpoena or other similar compulsion of law) or as part of a government investigation. In addition, nothing in this provision or this Agreement is intended to prohibit or restrain you in any manner from making disclosures that are protected under the whistleblower provisions of federal or state law or regulation.
12. NO ADMISSIONS. You understand and agree that the promises and payments in consideration of this Agreement shall not be construed to be an admission of any liability or obligation by the Company to you or to any other person, and that the Company makes no such admission.
13. RELEASE OF CLAIMS.
a. General Release. In exchange for the consideration under this Agreement to which you would not otherwise be entitled, you hereby generally and completely release the Company and its directors, officers, employees, shareholders, partners, agents, attorneys, predecessors, successors, parent or subsidiary entities, insurers, affiliates and assigns from any and all claims, liabilities and obligations, both known and unknown, that arise out of or are in any way related to events, acts, conduct, or omissions prior to or on the date you sign this Agreement.
b. Scope of Release. The Released Claims include, but are not limited to: (i) all claims arising out of or in any way related to your employment with the Company, or the termination of that employment; (ii) all claims related to your compensation or benefits from the Company, including salary, bonuses, commissions, vacation, paid time off, expense reimbursements, severance pay, fringe benefits, stock, stock options, or any other ownership, equity, or profits interests in the Company; (iii) all claims for breach of contract, wrongful termination, and breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing; (iv) all tort claims, including claims for fraud, defamation, emotional distress, and discharge in violation of public policy; and (v) all federal, state, and local statutory claims, including claims for discrimination, harassment, retaliation, attorneys fees, or other claims arising under the federal Civil Rights Act of 1964 (as amended), the federal Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, the federal Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (as amended) (the ADEA), the California Labor Code (as amended), and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (as amended).
c. ADEA Waiver. You acknowledge that you are knowingly and voluntarily waiving and releasing any rights you may have under the ADEA ( ADEA Waiver), and that the consideration given for the waiver and release in this Section is in addition to anything of value to which you are already entitled. You further acknowledge that you have been advised, as required by the ADEA, that: (i) your waiver and release do not apply to any rights or claims that may arise after the date that you sign this Agreement; (ii) you should consult with an attorney prior to signing this Agreement (although you may choose voluntarily not to do so); (iii) you have twenty-one (21) days to consider this Agreement (although you may choose voluntarily to sign it earlier); (iv) you have seven (7) days following the date you sign this Agreement to revoke the ADEA Waiver (by providing written notice of your revocation to me); and (v) the ADEA Waiver will not be effective until the date upon which the revocation period has expired unexercised, which will be the eighth day after you sign this Agreement (Effective Date).
d. Excluded Claims. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the following are not included in the Released Claims (the Excluded Claims): (i) any rights or claims for indemnification you may have pursuant to any written indemnification agreement with the
Company to which you are a party or under applicable law; (ii) any rights which are not waivable as a matter of law; and (iii) any claims for breach of this Agreement. You hereby represent and warrant that, other than the Excluded Claims, you are not aware of any claims you have or might have against any of the Released Parties that are not included in the Released Claims. You understand that nothing in this Agreement limits your ability to file a charge or complaint with any Governmental Agency. While this Agreement does not limit your right to receive an award for information provided to the Securities and Exchange Commission, you understand and agree that, to maximum extent permitted by law, you are otherwise waiving any and all rights you may have to individual relief based on any claims that you have released and any rights you have waived by signing this Agreement.
14. SECTION 1542 WAIVER. In granting the release herein, which includes claims that may be unknown to you at present, you acknowledge that you have read and understand Section 1542 of the California Civil Code: A general release does not extend to claims that the creditor or releasing party does not know or suspect to exist in his or her favor at the time of executing the release and that, if known by him or her, would have materially affected his or her settlement with the debtor or released party. You hereby expressly waive and relinquish all rights and benefits under that section and any law or legal principle of similar effect in any jurisdiction with respect to the releases granted herein, including but not limited to the release of unknown and unsuspected claims granted in this Agreement.
15. DISPUTE RESOLUTION. To ensure the timely and economical resolution of disputes that may arise in connection with your employment with the Company, you and the Company agree that any and all disputes, claims, or causes of action arising from or relating to the enforcement, breach, performance, negotiation, execution, or interpretation of this Agreement, your employment, or the termination of your employment, including but not limited to statutory claims, shall be resolved pursuant to the Federal Arbitration Act, 9 U.S.C. §1-16, and to the fullest extent permitted by law by final, binding and confidential arbitration, by a single arbitrator, conducted by JAMS, Inc. (JAMS) under the then applicable JAMS rules (which can be found at the following web address: https://www.jamsadr.com/rules-employment-arbitration/). By agreeing to this arbitration procedure, both you and the Company waive the right to resolve any such dispute through a trial by jury or judge or administrative proceeding. The Company acknowledges that you will have the right to be represented by legal counsel at any arbitration proceeding. In addition, all claims, disputes, or causes of action under this paragraph, whether by you or the Company, must be brought in an individual capacity, and shall not be brought as a plaintiff (or claimant) or class member in any purported class or representative proceeding, nor joined or consolidated with the claims of any other person or entity. The arbitrator may not consolidate the claims of more than one person or entity, and may not preside over any form of representative or class proceeding. To the extent that the preceding sentences regarding class claims or proceedings are found to violate applicable law or are otherwise found unenforceable, any claim(s) alleged or brought on behalf of a class shall proceed in a court of law rather than by arbitration. This paragraph shall not apply to an action or claim brought in court pursuant to the California Private Attorneys General Act of 2004, as amended. The arbitrator shall: (a) have the authority to compel adequate discovery for the resolution of the dispute and to award such relief as would otherwise be permitted by law; and (b) issue a written arbitration decision, to include the arbitrators essential findings and
conclusions and a statement of the award. The arbitrator shall be authorized to award any or all remedies that you or the Company would be entitled to seek in a court of law. The Company shall pay all JAMS arbitration fees in excess of the amount of court fees that would be required of you if the dispute were decided in a court of law. Nothing in this Agreement is intended to prevent either you or the Company from obtaining injunctive relief in court to prevent irreparable harm pending the conclusion of any such arbitration. Any awards or orders in such arbitrations may be entered and enforced as judgments in the federal and state courts of any competent jurisdiction.
16. MISCELLANEOUS. This Agreement, including Exhibit A, constitutes the complete, final and exclusive embodiment of the entire agreement between you and the Company with regard to the subject matter hereof. It is entered into without reliance on any promise or representation, written or oral, other than those expressly contained herein, and it supersedes any other agreements, promises, warranties or representations concerning its subject matter. This Agreement may not be modified or amended except in a writing signed by both you and a duly authorized officer of the Company. This Agreement will bind the heirs, personal representatives, successors and assigns of both you and the Company, and inure to the benefit of both you and the Company, their heirs, successors and assigns. If any provision of this Agreement is determined to be invalid or unenforceable, in whole or in part, this determination shall not affect any other provision of this Agreement and the provision in question shall be modified so as to be rendered enforceable in a manner consistent with the intent of the parties insofar as possible under applicable law. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to conflicts of law principles. Any ambiguity in this Agreement shall not be construed against either party as the drafter. Any waiver of a breach of this Agreement, or rights hereunder, shall be in writing and shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any successive breach or rights hereunder. This Agreement may be executed in counterparts which shall be deemed to be part of one original, and facsimile and signatures transmitted by PDF shall be equivalent to original signatures.
If this Agreement is acceptable to you, please sign below and return the original to me within twenty-one (21) days. The Companys offer contained herein will automatically expire if we do not receive the fully signed Agreement within this timeframe.
|Brian Wong, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Chief Executive Officer|
Exhibit A Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement
I HAVE READ, UNDERSTAND AND AGREE FULLY TO THE FOREGOING AGREEMENT:
PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND INVENTIONS AGREEMENT