Employee Offer Letter, by and between Rekha Hemrajani and RAPT Therapeutics, Inc., dated March 17, 2016
March 17th, 2016
On behalf of FLX Bio, Inc. (the Company), I am pleased to invite you to join the Company as Chief Operating Officer. FLX is an ambitious undertaking focused on the creation, development and commercialization of breakthrough therapies for cancer patients. We believe that this offer represents an extraordinary opportunity and we look forward to the possibility of you joining our team. This letter sets forth the terms of your employment:
1. Position. Your title will be Chief Operating Officer, and you will report to the CEO. While you render services to the Company, you will not engage in any other employment, consulting or other business activity (whether full-time or part-time) that would create a conflict of interest with the Company. By signing this letter agreement, you confirm to the Company that you have no contractual commitments or other legal obligations that would prohibit you from performing your duties for the Company.
2. Salary. The Company will pay you a starting salary at the rate of $310,000 per year, payable in accordance with the Companys standard payroll schedule. This salary will be subject to adjustment pursuant to the Companys employee compensation policies in effect from time to time.
3. Bonus. Each year, you will be eligible to earn an annual bonus targeted at thirty (30%) of your annual base salary, which will allow you to participate in the success of the Company. Whether you receive a bonus for any given year, and the amount of any such bonus, shall be determined by the Board of Directors (the Board) in its sole discretion, and shall be based upon achievement of individual and Company performance objectives as determined by the Board and other criteria to be determined by the Board. Any bonus shall be paid within thirty (30) days after the Boards determination that a bonus shall be awarded. Bonuses are typically determined in January and paid within 30-60 days afterwards. You must be employed on the day that your bonus (if any) is paid in order to earn the bonus. Therefore, if your employment is terminated either by you or the Company for any reason prior to the bonus being paid, you will not have earned the bonus and no partial or prorated bonus will be paid.
March 17th, 2016
4. Employee Benefits. As a regular employee of the Company, you will be eligible to participate in a number of Company-sponsored benefits. In addition, you will be entitled to paid vacation in accordance with the Companys vacation policy, as in effect from time to time.
5. Stock Option. Subject to the approval of the Board, you will be granted an option to purchase 550,000 shares of the Companys Common Stock (the Option). The exercise price per share of the Option will equal to the fair market value on the date of grant, and the Option shall be early exercisable. The Option will be subject to the terms and conditions of the Companys 2015 Stock Plan (the Plan) and the applicable Stock Option Agreement. You will vest in 25% of the shares subject to the Option after 12 months of continuous service, and the balance will vest in equal monthly installments over the next 36 months of continuous service, as described in the applicable Stock Option Agreement
In addition, Subject to the approval of the Board, you will be granted a second option (the Second Option) to purchase 200,000 shares of the Companys Common Stock. The exercise price per share of the Second Option will be equal to the fair market value on the date of grant, and the Second Option shall be early exercisable. Open completion of a business development goal set forth and agreed to by the Board, you will vest 25% of the shares, and the balance will vest in equal monthly installments over the next 36 months of continuous service, as described in the applicable Stock Option Agreement.
If you are subject to an Involuntary Termination (as defined below) within 12 months after a Change in Control (as defined below), then the Company shall accelerate the vesting of the Option and Second Option such that 100% of the shares subject to the Option and Second Option shall become fully vested.
(a) General. If you are subject to an Involuntary Termination, then you will be entitled to the benefits described in this Section 6. However, this Section 6 will not apply unless you (i) have returned all Company property in your possession, (ii) have resigned as a member of the Board and all of its subsidiaries, to the extent applicable, and (iii) have executed a general release of all claims that you may have against the Company or persons affiliated with the Company. The release must be in the form prescribed by the Company, without alterations. You must execute and return the release on or before the date specified by the Company in the prescribed form (the Release Deadline). The Release Deadline will in no event be later than 50 days after your Separation. If you fail to return the release on or before the Release Deadline, or if you revoke the release, then you will not be entitled to the benefits described in this Section
March 17th, 2016
(i) If you are subject to an Involuntary Termination, then the Company will pay you severance equal to three (3) months of your base salary. This severance will be paid in the form of salary continuation at the rate in effect at the time of your Separation and in accordance with the Companys standard payroll procedures. The salary continuation payments will commence within 60 days after your Separation and, once they commence, will include any unpaid amounts accrued from the date of your Separation. However, if the 60-day period described in the preceding sentence spans two calendar years, then the payments will in any event begin in the second calendar year.
(ii) In addition, if you are subject to an Involuntary Termination, and you timely elect continued coverage under COBRA, then the Company will pay your COBRA premiums for the same period of time that you are receiving the salary continuation described in Section 7(b)(i) above. This benefit will cease in the event you become eligible for group health insurance coverage through a new employer or cease to be eligible for COBRA continuation coverage for any reason.
7. Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement. Like all Company employees, you will be required, as a condition of your employment with the Company, to sign the Companys standard Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement, a copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit A.
8. Employment Relationship. Employment with the Company is for no specific period of time. Your employment with the Company will be at will, meaning that either you or the Company may terminate your employment at any time and for any reason, with or without cause. Any contrary representations that may have been made to you are superseded by this letter agreement. This is the full and complete agreement between you and the Company on this term. Although your job duties, title, compensation and benefits, as well as the Companys personnel policies and procedures, may change from time to time, the at will nature of your employment may only be changed in an express written agreement signed by you and a duly authorized officer of the Company (other than you).
9. Tax Matters.
(a) Withholding. All forms of compensation referred to in this letter agreement are subject to reduction to reflect applicable withholding and payroll taxes and other deductions required by law.
(b) Section 409A. For purposes of Section 409A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended (the Code), each salary continuation payment under Section 4(b) is hereby designated as a separate payment. If the Company determines that you are a specified employee under Section 409A(a)(2)(B)(i) of the Code at the time of your Separation, then (i) the salary continuation payments under Section 7(b), to the extent that they are subject to Section 409A of the Code, will commence on the first business day following (A) expiration of the six-month period measured from your Separation or (B) the date of your death and (ii) the installments that otherwise would have been paid prior to such date will be paid in a lump sum when the salary continuation payments commence.
March 17th, 2016
(c) Tax Advice. You are encouraged to obtain your own tax advice regarding your compensation from the Company. You agree that the Company does not have a duty to design its compensation policies in a manner that minimizes your tax liabilities, and you will not make any claim against the Company or the Board related to tax liabilities arising from your compensation.
10. Interpretation, Amendment and Enforcement. This letter agreement and Exhibit A supersede and replace any prior agreements, representations or understandings (whether written, oral, implied or otherwise) between you and the Company and constitute the complete agreement between you and the Company regarding the subject matter set forth herein. This letter agreement may not be amended or modified, except by an express written agreement signed by both you and a duly authorized officer of the Company. The terms of this letter agreement and the resolution of any disputes as to the meaning, effect, performance or validity of this letter agreement or arising out of, related to, or in any way connected with, this letter agreement, your employment with the Company or any other relationship between you and the Company (the Disputes) will be governed by California law, excluding laws relating to conflicts or choice of law. You and the Company submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in San Mateo County, California in connection with any Dispute or any claim related to any Dispute.
11. Definitions. The following terms have the meaning set forth below wherever they are used in this letter agreement:
Cause means (a) your unauthorized use or disclosure of the Companys confidential information or trade secrets, which use or disclosure causes material harm to the Company, (b) your material breach of any agreement between you and the Company, (c) your material failure to comply with the Companys written policies or rules, (d) your conviction of, or your plea of guilty or no contest to, a felony under the laws of the United States or any State, (e) your gross negligence or willful misconduct, (f) your continuing failure to perform assigned duties after receiving written notification of the failure from the Board; (g) unsatisfactory job performance after receiving written notification of such from the Board; or (h) your failure to cooperate in good faith with a governmental or internal investigation of the Company or its directors, officers or employees, if the Company has requested your cooperation.
Change in Control means: (a) the acquisition of the Company by another entity by means of any transaction or series of related transactions to which the Company is party (including, without limitation, any stock acquisition, reorganization, merger or consolidation but excluding any sale of stock for capital raising purposes) other than a transaction or series of transactions in which the holders of the voting securities of the Company outstanding immediately prior to such transaction continue to retain (either by such voting securities remaining outstanding or by such voting securities being converted into voting securities of the surviving entity), as a result of shares in the Company held by such holders prior to such transaction, at least fifty percent (50%) of the total voting power represented by the voting securities of the Company or such surviving entity outstanding immediately after such transaction or series of transactions; or (b) a sale, lease or other conveyance of all or substantially all of the assets of the Company.
March 17th, 2016
Involuntary Termination means either (a) your Termination Without Cause or (b) your Resignation for Good Reason.
Resignation for Good Reason means a Separation as a result of your resignation after one of the following conditions has come into existence without your consent:
(a) A reduction in your base salary by more than 10%, excluding an across-the-board salary reduction that affects all senior management;
(b) A material diminution of your authority, duties or responsibilities; or
(c) A relocation of your principal workplace that increases your one-way commute by more than 30 miles.
A Resignation for Good Reason will not be deemed to have occurred unless you give the Company written notice of the condition within 90 days after the condition comes into existence, the Company fails to remedy the condition within 30 days after receiving your written notice, and you resign within thirty days after the expiration of this cure period.
Separation means a separation from service, as defined in the regulations under Section 409A of the Code.
Termination Without Cause means a Separation as a result of a termination of your employment by the Company without Cause, provided you are willing and able to continue performing services within the meaning of Treasury Regulation 1.409A-l(n)(l).
* * * * *
We look forward to working with you as part of the FLX team. You may indicate your agreement with these terms and accept this offer by signing and dating both the enclosed duplicate original of this letter agreement and the enclosed Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement and retuning them to me no later than March 21st, 2016.
Upon acceptance of this offer, you mutually agree to a start date on or before March 31st, 2016.
If you do not return this fully signed letter and the signed Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement within this deadline, the Companys offer will expire. As required by law, your employment with the Company is contingent upon your providing legal proof of your identity and authorization to work in the United States.
March 17th, 2016
|Very truly yours,|
|FLX BIO, INC.|
|Brian R. Wong, M.D., Ph.D.|
|Chief Executive Officer|
I have read and accept this employment offer:
|Signature of Rekha Hemrajani|
Exhibit A: Proprietary Information and Inventions Agreement
PROPRIETARY INFORMATION AND INVENTIONS AGREEMENT
The following confirms and memorializes an agreement that FLX BIO, INC., a Delaware corporation (the Company) and I (Rekha Hemrajani) have had since the commencement of my employment (which term, for purposes of this agreement, shall be deemed to include any relationship of service to the Company that I may have had prior to actually becoming an employee) with the Company in any capacity and that is and has been a material part of the consideration for my employment by Company:
1. I have not entered into, and I agree I will not enter into, any agreement either written or oral in conflict with this Agreement or my employment with Company. I will not violate any agreement with or rights of any third party or, except as expressly authorized by Company in writing hereafter, use or disclose my own or any third partys confidential information or intellectual property when acting within the scope of my employment or otherwise on behalf of Company. Further, I have not retained anything containing any confidential information of a prior employer or other third party, whether or not created by me.
2. Company shall own all right, title and interest (including patent rights, copyrights, trade secret rights, mask work rights, sui generis database rights and all other intellectual property rights of any sort throughout the world) relating to any and all inventions (whether or not patentable), works of authorship, mask works, designs, know-how, ideas and information made or conceived or reduced to practice, in whole or in part, by me during the term of my employment with Company to and only to the fullest extent allowed by California Labor Code Section 2870 (which is attached as Appendix A) (collectively Inventions) and I will promptly disclose all Inventions to Company. Without disclosing any third party confidential information, I will also disclose anything I believe is excluded by Section 2870 so that the Company can make an independent assessment. I hereby make all assignments necessary to accomplish the foregoing. I shall further assist Company, at Companys expense, to further evidence, record and perfect such assignments, and to perfect, obtain, maintain, enforce, and defend any rights specified to be so owned or assigned. I hereby irrevocably designate and appoint Company as my agent and attorney-in-fact, coupled with an interest and with full power of substitution, to act for and in my behalf to execute and file any document and to do all other lawfully permitted acts to further the purposes of the foregoing with the same legal force and effect as if executed by me. Without limiting Section 1 or Companys other rights and remedies, if, when acting within the scope of my employment or otherwise on behalf of Company, I use or disclose my own or any third partys confidential information or intellectual property (or if any Invention cannot be fully made, used, reproduced, distributed and otherwise exploited without using or violating the foregoing), Company will have and I hereby grant Company a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide royalty-free, non-exclusive, sublicensable right and license to exploit and exercise all such confidential information and intellectual property rights.
3. To the extent allowed by law, paragraph 2 includes all rights of paternity, integrity, disclosure and withdrawal and any other rights that may be known as or referred to as moral rights, artists rights, droit moral, or the like (collectively Moral Rights). To the extent I retain any such Moral Rights under applicable law, I hereby ratify and consent to any action that may be taken with respect to such Moral Rights by or authorized by Company and agree not to assert any Moral Rights with respect thereto. I will confirm any such ratifications, consents and agreements from time to time as requested by Company.
4. I agree that all Inventions and all other business, technical and financial information (including, without limitation, the identity of and information relating to customers or employees) I develop, learn or obtain during the term of my employment that relate to Company or the business or demonstrably anticipated business of Company or that are received by or for Company in confidence, constitute Proprietary Information. I will hold in confidence and not disclose or, except within the scope of my employment, use any Proprietary Information. However, I shall not be obligated under this paragraph with respect to information I can document is or becomes readily publicly available without restriction through no fault of mine. Upon termination of my employment, I will promptly return to Company all items containing or embodying Proprietary Information (including all copies), except that I may keep my personal copies of (i) my compensation records, (ii) materials distributed to shareholders generally and (iii) this Agreement. I also recognize and agree that I have no expectation of privacy with respect to Companys telecommunications, networking or information processing systems (including, without limitation, stored computer files, email messages and voice messages) and that my activity and any files or messages on or using any of those systems may be monitored at any time without notice.
5. Until one year after the term of my employment, I will not encourage or solicit any employee or consultant of Company to leave Company for any reason (except for the bona fide firing of Company personnel within the scope of my employment).
6. I agree that during the term of my employment with Company (whether or not during business hours), I will not engage in any activity that is in any way competitive with the business or demonstrably anticipated business of Company, and I will not assist any other person or organization in competing or in preparing to compete with any business or demonstrably anticipated business of Company.
7. I agree that this Agreement is not an employment contract for any particular term and that I have the right to resign and Company has the right to terminate my employment at will, at any time, for any or no reason, with or without cause. In addition, this Agreement does not purport to set forth all of the terms and conditions of my employment, and, as an employee of Company, I have obligations to Company which are not set forth in this Agreement. However, the terms of this Agreement govern over any inconsistent terms and can only be changed by a subsequent written agreement signed by the President of Company.
8. I agree that my obligations under paragraphs 2, 3, 4, 5 and 9 of this Agreement shall continue in effect after termination of my employment, regardless of the reason or reasons for termination, and whether such termination is voluntary or involuntary on my part, and that Company is entitled to communicate my obligations under this Agreement to any future employer or potential employer of mine. My obligations under paragraphs 2, 3 and 4 also shall be binding upon my heirs, executors, assigns, and administrators and shall inure to the benefit of Company, it subsidiaries, successors and assigns.
9. Any dispute in the meaning, effect or validity of this Agreement shall be resolved in accordance with the laws of the State of California without regard to the conflict of laws provisions thereof. I further agree that if one or more provisions of this Agreement are held to be illegal or unenforceable under applicable California law, such illegal or unenforceable portion(s) shall be limited or excluded from this Agreement to the minimum extent required so that this Agreement shall otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable in accordance with its terms. This Agreement is fully assignable and transferable by Company, but any purported assignment or transfer by me is void. I also understand that any breach of this Agreement will cause irreparable harm to Company for which damages would not be an adequate remedy, and, therefore, Company will be entitled to injunctive relief with respect thereto in addition to any other remedies and without any requirement to post bond.
I HAVE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY AND I UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT THE OBLIGATIONS WHICH IT IMPOSES UPON ME WITHOUT RESERVATION. NO PROMISES OR REPRESENTATIONS HAVE BEEN MADE TO ME TO INDUCE ME TO SIGN THIS AGREEMENT. I SIGN THIS AGREEMENT VOLUNTARILY AND FREELY, IN DUPLICATE, WITH THE UNDERSTANDING THAT THE COMPANY WILL RETAIN ONE COUNTERPART AND THE OTHER COUNTERPART WILL BE RETAINED BY ME.
|March 18, 2016||Employee|
Accepted and Agreed to:
FLX BIO, INC.
Brian Wong, CEO
California Labor Code Section 2870. Application of provision providing that employee shall assign or offer to assign rights in invention to employer.
(a) Any provision in an employment agreement which provides that an employee shall assign, or offer to assign, any of his or her rights in an invention to his or her employer shall not apply to an invention that the employee developed entirely on his or her own time without using the employers equipment, supplies, facilities, or trade secret information except for those inventions that either:
(1) Relate at the time of conception or reduction to practice of the invention to the employers business, or actual or demonstrably anticipated research or development of the employer; or
(2) Result from any work performed by the employee for his employer.
(b) To the extent a provision in an employment agreement purports to require an employee to assign an invention otherwise excluded from being required to be assigned under subdivision (a), the provision is against the public policy of this state and is unenforceable.