Letter Agreement, dated July 10, 2019, as amended, by and between the Registration and Anthony Coyle, Ph.D
VIA HAND DELIVERY
July 10, 2019 (as amended July 18, 2019 and sent via electronic mail)
As we discussed, your employment with Pandion Therapeutics, Inc. (the Company) will end effective July 17, 2019 (the Separation Date). As we also discussed, the period between the date of this letter agreement and the Separation Date will be a transition period, during which you will use your best efforts to, at the direction of the Company, professionally transition your duties, including cooperating with the Companys announcement of your separation. Provided you do so, you will be eligible to receive the severance benefits described in paragraph 2 below if you sign and return this letter agreement to me by August 1, 2019 (but no earlier than the Separation Date) and do not revoke your acceptance (as described below). By signing and returning this letter agreement and not revoking your acceptance, you will be entering into a binding agreement with the Company and will be agreeing to the terms and conditions set forth in the numbered paragraphs below, including the release of claims set forth in paragraph 4. Therefore, you are advised to consult with an attorney before signing this letter agreement and you have been given at least twenty-one (21) days to do so. If you sign this letter agreement, you may change your mind and revoke your agreement during the seven (7) day period after you have signed it (the Revocation Period) by notifying me in writing. If you do not so revoke, this letter agreement will become a binding agreement between you and the Company upon the expiration of the Revocation Period.
Although your receipt of the severance benefits is expressly conditioned on your entering into this letter agreement, the following will apply regardless of whether or not you timely enter into this letter agreement:
As of the Separation Date, all salary payments from the Company will cease and any benefits you had as of the Separation Date under Company-provided benefit plans, programs, or practices will terminate, except as required by federal or state law.
You will receive on the Separation Date payment for your final wages and any unused vacation time accrued through the Separation Date.
You may, if eligible and at your own cost, elect to continue receiving group medical insurance pursuant to the COBRA law. Please consult the COBRA materials to be provided under separate cover for details regarding these benefits.
You are obligated to keep confidential and not to use or disclose any and all non-public information concerning the Company that you acquired during the course of your employment with the Company, including any non-public information concerning the Companys business affairs, business prospects, and financial condition, except as otherwise permitted by paragraph 11 below. Further, you remain subject to your continuing obligations to the Company as set forth in the Invention and Non-Disclosure and Non-Competition and Non-Solicitation Agreements you previously executed for the benefit of the Company, which remain in full force and effect.
You must return to the Company on the Separation Date all Company property.
The following numbered paragraphs set forth the terms and conditions that will apply if you timely sign and return this letter agreement and do not revoke your acceptance:
1. Resignations You hereby resign, effective as of the Separation Date, from any and all positions that you hold as an officer and/or director of the Company, its subsidiaries, or parent, including, without limitation, your positions as a President and Treasurer, and as a member of the Board of Directors, of the Company, Pandion Programco 1, Inc., and Pandion Therapeutics Holdco, LLC, and agree that you will execute and deliver any documents reasonably necessary to effectuate such resignations.
2. Severance Benefits The Company will provide you with the following severance benefits (the severance benefits):
Severance Pay. The Company will pay to you $420,784, less all applicable taxes and withholdings, as severance pay (an amount equivalent to twelve (12) months of your current base salary). This severance pay will be paid in installments in accordance with the Companys regular payroll practices, but in no event shall payments begin earlier than the Companys first payroll date following expiration of the Revocation Period.
COBRA Benefits. Should you timely elect and be eligible to continue receiving group health insurance pursuant to the COBRA law, the Company will, for twelve (12) months following the Separation Date (the COBRA Contribution Period), continue to pay the share of the premiums for such coverage to the same extent it was paying such premiums on your behalf immediately prior to the Separation Date. The remaining balance of any premium costs during the COBRA Contribution Period, and all premium costs thereafter, shall be paid by you on a monthly basis for as long as, and to the extent that, you remain eligible for COBRA continuation.
You will not be eligible for, nor shall you have a right to receive, any payments or benefits from the Company following the Separation Date other than as set forth in this paragraph.
3. Equity As of the Separation Date, you hold 2,000,000 Common Shares of Pandion Therapeutics Holdco LLC (the Total Shares), 958,326 of which are vested based on your vesting commencement date of August 1, 2017 (the Vested Shares). Pandion Therapeutics Holdco LLC intends to repurchase from you, in accordance with the terms of the Restricted Common Share Agreement dated January 1, 2019, an aggregate of 1,041,674 Common Shares, which amount constitutes the number of Total Shares that are not Vested Shares as of the Separation Date (the Unvested Shares). You hereby acknowledge and agree that (i) the Vested Shares constitute all equity rights you have in the Company, its subsidiaries, or parent, and (ii) Pandion Therapeutics Holdco LLC has advised you of its intention to repurchase the Unvested Shares, which it will accomplish within ninety (90) days following the Separation Date in accordance with the terms set forth in the Restricted Common Share Agreement.
4. Release of Claims In consideration of the severance benefits, which you acknowledge you would not otherwise be entitled to receive, you hereby fully, forever, irrevocably and unconditionally release, remise and discharge the Company, its affiliates, subsidiaries, parent companies, predecessors, and successors, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, stockholders, partners, members, employees, agents, representatives, plan administrators, attorneys, insurers and fiduciaries (each in their individual and corporate
- 2 -
capacities) (collectively, the Released Parties) from any and all claims, charges, complaints, demands, actions, causes of action, suits, rights, debts, sums of money, costs, accounts, reckonings, covenants, contracts, agreements, promises, doings, omissions, damages, executions, obligations, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys fees and costs), of every kind and nature that you ever had or now have against any or all of the Released Parties, whether known or unknown, including, but not limited to, any and all claims arising out of or relating to your employment with and/or separation from the Company, including, but not limited to, all claims under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans With Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, the Rehabilitation Act, Executive Order 11246, Executive Order 11141, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, all as amended; all claims arising out of the Massachusetts Fair Employment Practices Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 151B, § 1 et seq., the Massachusetts Wage Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 149, § 148 et seq. (Massachusetts law regarding payment of wages and overtime), the Massachusetts Civil Rights Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 12, §§ 11H and 11I, the Massachusetts Equal Rights Act, Mass. Gen. Laws. ch. 93, § 102, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 214, § 1C (Massachusetts right to be free from sexual harassment law), the Massachusetts Labor and Industries Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 149, § 1 et seq., Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 214, § 1B (Massachusetts right of privacy law), the Massachusetts Maternity Leave Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 149, § 105D, and the Massachusetts Small Necessities Leave Act, Mass. Gen. Laws ch. 149, § 52D, all as amended; all common law claims including, but not limited to, actions in defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress, misrepresentation, fraud, wrongful discharge, and breach of contract (including, without limitation, all claims arising under or relating to your May 8, 2017 offer letter); all claims to any non-vested ownership interest in the Company, contractual or otherwise; all state and federal whistleblower claims to the maximum extent permitted by law; and any claim or damage arising out of your employment with and/or separation from the Company (including a claim for retaliation) under any common law theory or any federal, state or local statute or ordinance not expressly referenced above; provided, however, that this release of claims does not prevent you from filing a charge with, cooperating with, or participating in any investigation or proceeding before, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or a state fair employment practices agency (except that you acknowledge that you may not recover any monetary benefits in connection with any such charge, investigation, or proceeding, and you further waive any rights or claims to any payment, benefit, attorneys fees or other remedial relief in connection with any such charge, investigation or proceeding).
5. Continuing Obligations You acknowledge and reaffirm your confidentiality and non-disclosure obligations discussed on page 1 of this letter agreement, as well as the obligations set forth in the Invention and Non-Disclosure and Non-Competition and Non-Solicitation Agreements, which survive your separation from employment with the Company.
6. Non-Disparagement You understand and agree that, to the extent permitted by law and except as otherwise permitted by paragraph 11 below, you will not, in public or private, make any false, disparaging, derogatory or defamatory statements, online (including, without limitation, on any social media, networking, or employer review site) or otherwise, to any person or entity, including, but not limited to, any media outlet, industry group, financial institution or current or former employee, board member, consultant, client or customer of the Company, regarding the Company or any of the other Released Parties, or regarding the Companys business affairs, business prospects, or financial condition. The Company, in turn, agrees to instruct those with knowledge of this letter agreement not to, in public or private, make any false, disparaging, derogatory or defamatory statements about you.
- 3 -
7. Company Affiliation You agree that, following the Separation Date, you will not hold yourself out as an officer, employee, or otherwise as a representative of the Company, its subsidiaries or parent.
8. Return of Company Property You confirm that you have returned to the Company all keys, files, records (and copies thereof), equipment (including, but not limited to, computer hardware, software, printers, flash drives and other storage devices, wireless handheld devices, cellular phones, tablets, etc.), Company identification, and any other property of the Company, its subsidiaries or parent in your possession or control, and that you have left intact all, and have otherwise not destroyed, deleted, or made inaccessible, any electronic documents, including, but not limited to, those that you developed or helped to develop during your employment, and that you have not (a) retained any copies in any form or media; (b) maintained access to any copies in any form, media, or location; (c) stored any copies in any physical or electronic locations that are not readily accessible or not known to the Company or that remain accessible to you; or (d) sent, given, or made accessible any copies to any persons or entities that the Company has not authorized to receive such electronic or hard copies. You further confirm that you have cancelled all accounts for your benefit, if any, in the Companys name, including but not limited to, credit cards, telephone charge cards, cellular phone accounts, and computer accounts.
9. Business Expenses and Final Compensation You acknowledge that you have been reimbursed by the Company for all business expenses incurred in conjunction with the performance of your employment and that no other reimbursements are owed to you. You further acknowledge that you have received payment in full for all services rendered in conjunction with your employment by the Company, including payment for all wages, bonuses, and accrued, unused vacation time, and that no other compensation is owed to you except as provided herein.
10. Confidentiality You understand and agree that, to the extent permitted by law and except as otherwise permitted by paragraph 11 below, the terms and contents of this letter agreement, and the contents of the negotiations and discussions resulting in this letter agreement, shall be maintained as confidential by you and your agents and representatives and shall not be disclosed except as otherwise agreed to in writing by the Company.
11. Scope of Disclosure Restrictions Nothing in this letter agreement or elsewhere prohibits you from communicating with government agencies about possible violations of federal, state, or local laws or otherwise providing information to government agencies, filing a complaint with government agencies, or participating in government agency investigations or proceedings. You are not required to notify the Company of any such communications; provided, however, that nothing herein authorizes the disclosure of information you obtained through a communication that was subject to the attorney-client privilege. Further, notwithstanding your confidentiality and nondisclosure obligations, you are hereby advised as follows pursuant to the Defend Trade Secrets Act: An individual shall not be held criminally or civilly liable under any Federal or State trade secret law for the disclosure of a trade secret that (A) is made (i) in confidence to a Federal, State, or local government official, either directly or indirectly, or to an attorney; and (ii) solely for the purpose of reporting or investigating a suspected violation of law; or (B) is made in a complaint or other document filed in a lawsuit or other proceeding, if such filing is made under seal. An individual who files a lawsuit for retaliation by an employer for reporting a suspected violation of law may disclose the trade secret to the attorney of the individual and use the trade secret information in the court proceeding, if the individual (A) files any document containing the trade secret under seal; and (B) does not disclose the trade secret, except pursuant to court order.
- 4 -
12. Cooperation You agree that, to the extent permitted by law, you shall cooperate fully with the Company, its subsidiaries and parent in the investigation, defense or prosecution of any claims or actions which already have been brought, are currently pending, or which may be brought in the future against the Company, its subsidiaries or parent by a third party or by or on behalf of the Company, its subsidiaries or parent against any third party, whether before a state or federal court, any state or federal government agency, or a mediator or arbitrator. Your full cooperation in connection with such claims or actions shall include, but not be limited to, being available to meet with counsel for the Company, its subsidiaries or parent, at reasonable times and locations designated by the Company, its subsidiaries or parent, to investigate or prepare the claims or defenses of the Company, its subsidiaries or parent, to prepare for trial or discovery or an administrative hearing, mediation, arbitration or other proceeding and to act as a witness when requested by the Company, its subsidiaries or parent. You further agree that, to the extent permitted by law, you will notify the Company promptly in the event that you are served with a subpoena (other than a subpoena issued by a government agency), or in the event that you are asked to provide a third party (other than a government agency) with information concerning any actual or potential complaint or claim against the Company, its subsidiaries or parent.
13. Amendment and Waiver This letter agreement shall be binding upon the parties and may not be modified in any manner, except by an instrument in writing of concurrent or subsequent date signed by duly authorized representatives of the parties hereto. This letter agreement is binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the parties and their respective agents, assigns, heirs, executors, successors and administrators. No delay or omission by the Company in exercising any right under this letter agreement shall operate as a waiver of that or any other right. A waiver or consent given by the Company on any one occasion shall be effective only in that instance and shall not be construed as a bar to or waiver of any right on any other occasion.
14. Validity Should any provision of this letter agreement be declared or be determined by any court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal or invalid, the validity of the remaining parts, terms or provisions shall not be affected thereby and said illegal or invalid part, term or provision shall be deemed not to be a part of this letter agreement.
15. Nature of Agreement You understand and agree that this letter agreement is a severance agreement and does not constitute an admission of liability or wrongdoing on the part of the Company, its subsidiaries or parent.
16. Acknowledgments You acknowledge that you have been given at least twenty-one (21) days to consider this letter agreement, and that the Company is hereby advising you to consult with an attorney of your own choosing prior to signing this letter agreement. You acknowledge that the changes made to the initial July 10, 2019 letter agreement were made at your request and that such changes, whether material or immaterial, did not restart the twenty-one (21) day review period. You understand that you may revoke this letter agreement for a period of seven (7) days after you sign this letter agreement by notifying me in writing, and the letter agreement shall not be effective or enforceable until the expiration of this seven (7) day revocation period. You understand and agree that by entering into this letter agreement, you are waiving any and all rights or claims you might have under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, as amended by the Older Workers Benefit Protection Act, and that you have received consideration beyond that to which you were previously entitled.
17. Voluntary Assent You affirm that no other promises or agreements of any kind have been made to or with you by any person or entity whatsoever to cause you to sign this letter agreement, and that you fully understand the meaning and intent of this letter agreement. You further state and represent that you have carefully read this letter agreement, understand the contents herein, freely and voluntarily assent to all of the terms and conditions hereof, and sign your name of your own free act.
- 5 -
18. Applicable Law This letter agreement shall be interpreted and construed by the laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, without regard to conflict of laws provisions. You hereby irrevocably submit to and acknowledge and recognize the jurisdiction of the courts of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, or if appropriate, a federal court located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts (which courts, for purposes of this letter agreement, are the only courts of competent jurisdiction), over any suit, action or other proceeding arising out of, under or in connection with this letter agreement or the subject matter hereof.
19. Entire Agreement This letter agreement contains and constitutes the entire understanding and agreement between the parties hereto with respect to your severance benefits and the settlement of claims against the Company and cancels all previous oral and written negotiations, agreements, and commitments in connection therewith.
20. Tax Acknowledgement In connection with the severance benefits provided to you pursuant to this letter agreement, the Company shall withhold and remit to the tax authorities the amounts required under applicable law, and you shall be responsible for all applicable taxes with respect to such severance benefits under applicable law. You acknowledge that you are not relying upon the advice or representation of the Company with respect to the tax treatment of any of the severance benefits set forth in paragraph 2 of this letter agreement.
If you have any questions about the matters covered in this letter agreement, please call me.
|Very truly yours,|
|By:||/s/ Alan Crane|
Chairman of the Board
I hereby agree to the terms and conditions set forth above. I have been given at least twenty-one (21) days to consider this letter agreement, and I have chosen to execute this on the date below. I acknowledge that the changes made to the initial July 10, 2019 letter agreement were made at my request and that such changes, whether material or immaterial, did not restart the twenty-one (21) day review period. I intend that this letter agreement will become a binding agreement between me and the Company if I do not revoke my acceptance in seven (7) days.
|/s/ Anthony Coyle||07/23/2019|
To be returned in a timely manner as set forth on the first page of this letter agreement.
- 6 -