Non-Competition and Confidentiality Agreement dated January 26, 2021 and effective February 1, 2021
NON-COMPETITION AND CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
THIS NON-COMPETITION and CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT (this Agreement) is entered into on January 26, 2021 and is effective as of February 1, 2021 between Myers Industries, Inc., an Ohio Corporation (the Company) and Sonal Robinson (the Employee).
1. The Company is a diversified international manufacturer of polymer products for the industrial, agricultural, automotive, commercial and consumer markets and distributor of tools, equipment and supplies for tire service and under vehicle repair. The business of the Company is operated by the Company itself and through its various operating divisions, subsidiaries and other affiliated entities, all together with the Company being collectively referred to in this Agreement as the Company Group.
2. Employee is being employed initially as Executive Vice President of Finance and ultimately as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of the Company effective in March 2021, and the execution of this Agreement is a condition of such employment.
3. The Company Group has acquired and established valuable and competitively sensitive information through its business, research, development and practices, which information is described more extensively herein, and is collectively referred to as the Confidential Information. To protect the interests of the Company Group and the competitive advantage derived from the Confidential Information, it is necessary that such Confidential Information be kept secret and confidential.
4. The Employee, from and after the commencement of employment, will be engaged in activities such that the Employee will have extensive access to and become familiar with, and may develop or contribute to, some or all of the Confidential Information. In addition, Employee will have extensive contact with; and/or receive Confidential Information concerning, the customers of the Company Group. The Employee recognizes that the Confidential Information and the Company Groups customer relationships are vital to the success of the Company and that extensive, irreparable harm would result were such Confidential Information to be disclosed outside the Company Group or if Employee were to engage in certain activity which competes with the Company Group members.
NOW, THEREFORE, in view of the above and in consideration for the mutual covenants and promises set forth below, the parties agree as follows:
1. Confidential Information: For purposes of this Agreement, Confidential Information includes, but is not limited to, business plans and strategies, marketing plans and strategies, customer lists, customer purchasing information, customer contact information, product design and development information, methods of operation, technical services, non-public financial information, business development plans and strategies, system analyses, quality control programs and information, computer programs, software and hardware configurations, information regarding the terms of the Company Groups relationships with suppliers, pricing information, processes and techniques, creations, innovations, and any other information which
the Company Group members may reasonably treat or designate as confidential from time to time. The Company believes that all Confidential Information constitutes trade secret information under applicable law. Employee shall, however, maintain the confidentiality of all Confidential Information whether or not ultimately determined to be a trade secret.
2. Confidentiality and Non-Competition:
(a) Employee acknowledges he/she is being provided access to the Confidential Information in order to enhance and maximize Employees performance in his/her position. Employee further acknowledges that the Company Group would be irreparably injured, and the good will of the Company Group would be irreparably damaged if Employee were to breach the covenants set forth in this Paragraph 2. Employee further acknowledges that the covenants set forth in this Paragraph 2 are reasonable in scope and duration and do not unreasonably restrict Employees association with other business entities, either as an employee or otherwise as set forth herein.
(b) During Employees employment and any time thereafter, except as may be required by law, Employee shall not, directly or indirectly, disclose, disseminate, reveal, divulge, discuss, copy or otherwise use or suffer to be used, any Confidential Information other than in the authorized scope of Employees employment. Upon termination of employment, no matter what the reason for such termination, and at any other time upon the request of any Company Group member, Employee shall immediately return any and all Confidential Information, and all other materials, property and information in tangible or electronic form concerning the business and affairs of the Company Group and/or its customers.
(c) Employee agrees that during Employees employment and for a period of twelve (12) months following the termination of such employment, no matter what the reason for such termination, Employee will not directly or indirectly, whether on Employees own behalf or on behalf of any other person or entity, do or suffer any of the following:
(i) Own, manage, control, participate in the ownership, management or control of, be employed or engaged by or otherwise affiliated or associated as a consultant, independent contractor or otherwise with, any person or business entity that competes with any member of the Company Group which Employee was employed by, provided services to and/or was otherwise sufficiently involved with to possess knowledge of its Confidential Information and/or its customer relationships (each a Protected Company Group Member) in the United States or in any geographic area(s) outside the United States in which any such Protected Company Group Member has operations or sells products or services (the Restricted Territory-). Without limiting the generality and scope of the foregoing, any business entity or person providing products or services competitive with those of a Protected Company Group Member in the Restricted Territory from either inside or outside the Restricted Territory is deemed to be competing within the
Restricted Territory. For purposes of this Agreement, the phrase competes with means providing services and products which are the same as, similar to, reasonably substitutable for, or otherwise capable of displacing the services and products of a Protected Company Group Member. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Employees passive investment ownership of not more than one percent (1%) of the stock of any publicly traded corporation shall not be deemed a violation of this provision.
(ii) Solicit, provide, sell, attempt to provide or sell, or otherwise deliver or supply any products or services which compete with the products or services of a Protected Company Group Member to any person or business entity which is or was a customer or prospective customer of such Protected Company Group Member at any time during the last thirty-six (36) months of Employees employment, nor shall Employee in any way assist any other person or entity in such activity. For purposes of this Agreement, (1) the phrase products or services which compete with the products or services of a Protected Company Group Member means products or services which are the same as, similar to, reasonably substitutable for, or otherwise capable of displacing the products or services of such Protected Company Group Member; and (2) the term prospective customer means any person or entity a Protected Company Group Member solicited, called on or otherwise specifically identified as a target for the sale of its products or services.
(iii) Solicit, hire or otherwise engage the services of any person who is or was at any time during the last thirty-six (36) months of Employees employment, an employee, individual consultant or individual independent contractor of any Company Group member with whom Employee has had material contact in the course of Employees employment, or otherwise encourage or induce any such person to discontinue his or her relationship with any Company Group member. Employee will not engage in any business relationship with any subcontractor, supplier or service provider of any Company Group member which interferes with such Company Group members relationship with such subcontractor, supplier or service provider, or in any way causes such subcontractor, supplier or service provider to reduce, alter, modify or discontinue the business it (they) do(es) with a Company Group member.
3. Inventions: Employee hereby expressly agrees that all research discoveries, inventions and innovations (whether or not reduced to practice or documented), improvements, developments, methods, designs, analyses, drawings, reports and all similar or related information (whether patentable or unpatentable, and whether or not reduced to writing), Confidential Information and copyrightable works, and similar and related information (in whatever form or medium), which (1) either (i) relate to actual or anticipated business, research and development or existing or future products or services of any Company Group member or (ii) result from or are suggested by any work performed by the Employee of any Company Group member and (2) are conceived, developed, made or contributed to in whole or in part by the Employee during his employment (Work Product-), shall be and remain the sole and exclusive property of the Company or of any Company Group member designated by the Company for such purpose.
(i) Work Made for Hire. The Employee acknowledges that, unless otherwise agreed in writing by the Company, all Work Product eligible for any form of copyright, trademark or patent protection made or contributed to in whole or in part by the Employee within the scope of Employees employment during the period of Employees employment shall be deemed a work made for hire and shall be owned by the applicable Company Group member.
(ii) Assignment of Proprietary Rights. The Employee hereby assigns, transfers and conveys to the applicable Company Group member any Work Product designed by the Company, and shall assign, transfer and convey thereto, all right, title and interest in and to all inventions, ideas, improvements, designs, processes, patent rights, copyrights, trademarks, service marks, trade names, trade secrets, trade dress, data, discoveries and other proprietary assets and proprietary rights in and of the Work Product (the Proprietary Rights) for the applicable Company Group members exclusive ownership and use, together with all rights to sue and recover for past and future infringement or misappropriation thereof
(iii) Further Instruments. At the request of the Company or any Company Group member during Employees employment and thereafter, the Employee will promptly and fully assist the Company Group member designated by the Company in effecting the purpose of the foregoing assignment, including but not limited to the further acts of executing any and all documents necessary to secure for the applicable Company Group member such Proprietary Rights and other rights to all Work Product and all confidential information related thereto, providing cooperation and giving testimony.
(iv) Inapplicability of Section 3 in Certain Circumstances. The Company expressly acknowledges and agrees that, and the Employee is hereby advised that, this Section 3 does not apply to any invention for which no equipment, supplies, facilities, trade secret information or Confidential Information of any Company Group member was used and which was developed entirely on the Employees own time, unless (i) the invention relates to the business of any Company Group member or its actual or demonstrably anticipated research or development or (ii) the invention results from or is suggested by any work performed or observed by the Employee for any Company Group member.
4. Remedies: Employee acknowledges that the restrictions contained in paragraphs 2 and 3 of this Agreement are reasonable in light of Employees position and are necessary to protect the Company Group from unfair competitive harm. Employee further acknowledges that any breach of this Agreement will result in immediate irreparable harm to the Company Group and that the Company shall be entitled to immediate injunctive relief upon any such breach, in addition to all other legal and equitable remedies the Company may have. This Agreement is to be construed as separate and independent from any other obligations and any claim by Employee asserted against the Company Group or any member thereof and shall not constitute a defense to the enforcement of this Agreement. In the event any court determines that the restrictions set forth herein are unreasonable or unenforceable for any reason, the court will enforce such restrictions to the fullest extent permitted by law.
5. Position of Employment: Employee expressly acknowledges that the obligations contained in paragraphs 2 and 3 of this Agreement shall remain in full force and effect during Employees employment in any position for any Company Group member and with respect to any Confidential Information.
6. Validity: In the event any provision of this Agreement, or portion thereof, is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be unreasonable, arbitrary, or against public policy, then such provision, or portion thereof, shall be enforced against the Employee to the extent the court deems to be reasonable or in accordance with public policy. In the event any provision of this Agreement shall for any reason be wholly invalid, or unenforceable in any respect, such invalidity shall not affect the validity of any remaining portion which shall remain in full force and effect as if the invalid portion was never part of this Agreement.
7. Miscellaneous: Employee acknowledges that the Employee has carefully read this entire Agreement and fully agrees with and understands all of the provisions hereof. This Agreement supersedes all prior agreements between any Company Group member and the Employee regarding the subject matter of this Agreement and constitutes the entire agreement between the parties with respect to such subject matter. The Employee further agrees that in executing this Agreement, the Employee has not relied on any written or oral representations, promises, conditions, or understandings of any Company Group member, express or implied, except as set forth herein. This Agreement may not be amended or modified other than in writing signed by the parties. This Agreement and any disputes arising thereunder shall be governed by the laws of the State of Ohio without regard to any States choice of law, rules or principles. Employee and the Company expressly agree that any legal action arising out of or related to this Agreement will be brought exclusively in the state or federal courts located in Summit County, Ohio, and each party expressly consents to the jurisdiction of such courts and waives any and all objections to the jurisdiction or venue thereof. This Agreement may be assigned to any successor-in-interest to the business of the Company or any Company Group member without the consent of Employee but may not be assigned by Employee to any third party. This Agreement is not a contract of employment for any definite period and Employee acknowledges that Employees employment is terminable at-will.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have hereunto executed this Agreement as of the date first set forth above.
|MYERS INDUSTRIES, INC.|
|Date: 01/26/21||By:||/s/ Michael McGaugh|
|President and Chief Executive Officer|
|Date: 01/26/21||/s/ Sonal Robinson|