Indemnification agreement dated May 27, 2021
MONOLITHIC POWER SYSTEMS, INC.
This Indemnification Agreement (“Agreement”) is effective as of May 27, 2021 by and between Monolithic Power Systems, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), and the indemnitee listed on the signature page hereto (“Indemnitee”).
WHEREAS, the Company desires to attract and retain the services of highly qualified individuals, such as Indemnitee, to serve the Company and its related entities;
WHEREAS, in order to induce Indemnitee to continue to provide services to the Company, the Company wishes to provide for the indemnification of, and the advancement of expenses to, Indemnitee to the maximum extent permitted by law;
WHEREAS, the Company and Indemnitee recognize the continued difficulty in obtaining liability insurance for the Company’s directors, officers, employees, agents and fiduciaries, the significant increases in the cost of such insurance and the general reductions in the coverage of such insurance;
WHEREAS, the Company and Indemnitee further recognize the substantial increase in corporate litigation in general, subjecting directors, officers, employees, agents and fiduciaries to expensive litigation risks at the same time as the availability and coverage of liability insurance has been severely limited; and
WHEREAS, the Company and Indemnitee desire to continue to have in place the additional protection provided by an indemnification agreement and to provide indemnification and advancement of expenses to the Indemnitee to the maximum extent permitted by Delaware law.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration for Indemnitee’s services to the Company, the Company and Indemnitee hereby agree as follows:
1. Certain Definitions.
(a) “Change in Control” shall mean:
(1) Any “person” (as such term is used in Sections 13(d) and 14(d) of the Exchange Act) becomes the “beneficial owner” (as defined in Rule 13d-3 of the Exchange Act), directly or indirectly, of securities of the Company representing fifty percent (50%) or more of the total voting power represented by the Company’s then outstanding voting securities; or
(2) The consummation of the sale or disposition by the Company of all or substantially all of the Company’s assets; or
(3) Individuals who, as of the date hereof, constitute the Board of Directors (the “Incumbent Board”) cease for any reason to constitute at least a majority of the Board of Directors; provided, however, that any individual becoming a director subsequent to the date hereof whose election, or nomination for election by the stockholders, was approved by a vote of at least a majority of the directors then comprising the Incumbent Board shall be considered as though such individual were a member of the Incumbent Board, but excluding, for this purpose, any such individual whose initial assumption of office occurs as a result of an actual or threatened election contest with respect to the election or removal of directors or other actual or threatened solicitation of proxies or consents by or on behalf of a Person other than the Board of Directors; or
(4) The consummation of a merger or consolidation of the Company with any other corporation, other than a merger or consolidation which would result in the voting securities of the Company outstanding immediately prior thereto continuing to represent (either by remaining outstanding or by being converted into voting securities of the surviving entity or its parent) at least fifty percent (50%) of the total voting power represented by the voting securities of the Company or such surviving entity or its parent outstanding immediately after such merger or consolidation.
(b) “Claim” shall mean with respect to a Covered Event: any threatened, pending or completed action, suit, proceeding or alternative dispute resolution mechanism, or any hearing, inquiry or investigation that Indemnitee in good faith believes might lead to the institution of any such action, suit, proceeding or alternative dispute resolution mechanism, whether civil, criminal, administrative, investigative or other.
(c) References to the “Company” shall include, in addition to the Company, any constituent corporation (including any constituent of a constituent) absorbed in a consolidation or merger to which the Company (or any of its wholly owned subsidiaries) is a party which, if its separate existence had continued, would have had power and authority to indemnify its directors, officers, employees, agents or fiduciaries, so that if Indemnitee is or was a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary of such constituent corporation, or is or was serving at the request of such constituent corporation as a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary of another corporation, partnership, joint venture, employee benefit plan, trust or other enterprise, Indemnitee shall stand in the same position under the provisions of this Agreement with respect to the resulting or surviving corporation as Indemnitee would have with respect to such constituent corporation if its separate existence had continued.
(d) “Covered Event” shall mean any event or occurrence related to the fact that Indemnitee is or was a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary of the Company, or any subsidiary of the Company, or is or was serving at the request of the Company as a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary of another corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust or other enterprise, or by reason of any action or inaction on the part of Indemnitee while serving in such capacity.
(e) “Disinterested Director” shall mean a director of the Company who is not and was not a party to the matter in respect of which indemnification is sought by the Indemnitee.
(f) “Expenses” shall mean any and all expenses (including attorneys’ fees and all other costs, expenses and obligations incurred in connection with investigating, defending, being a witness in or participating in (including on appeal), or preparing to defend, to be a witness in or to participate in, any action, suit, proceeding, alternative dispute resolution mechanism, hearing, inquiry or investigation), judgments, fines, penalties and amounts paid in settlement (if such settlement is approved in advance by the Company, which approval shall not be unreasonably withheld), actually incurred, of any Claim and any federal, state, local or foreign taxes imposed on the Indemnitee as a result of the actual or deemed receipt of any payments under this Agreement.
(g) “Expense Advance” shall mean a payment to Indemnitee pursuant to Section 3 of Expenses in advance of the settlement of or final judgment in any action, suit, proceeding or alternative dispute resolution mechanism, hearing, inquiry or investigation which constitutes a Claim.
(h) “Independent Legal Counsel” shall mean a law firm, a member of a law firm, or an independent practitioner, that is experienced in matters of corporation law and shall include any person who, under the applicable standards of professional conduct then prevailing, would not have a conflict of interest in representing either the Company or the Indemnitee in an action to determine the Indemnitee’s rights under Section 2(d) hereof.
(i) References to “other enterprises” shall include employee benefit plans; references to “fines” shall include any excise taxes assessed on Indemnitee with respect to an employee benefit plan; and references to “serving at the request of the Company” shall include any service as a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary of the Company which imposes duties on, or involves services by, such director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary with respect to an employee benefit plan, its participants or its beneficiaries; and if Indemnitee acted in good faith and in a manner Indemnitee reasonably believed to be in the interest of the participants and beneficiaries of an employee benefit plan, Indemnitee shall be deemed to have acted in a manner “not opposed to the best interests of the Company” as referred to in this Agreement.
(j) “ Reviewing Party” shall have the meanings as set forth in Section 2(d).
(k) “Section” refers to a section of this Agreement unless otherwise indicated.
(a) Indemnification of Expenses. Subject to the provisions of Section 2(b) below, the Company shall indemnify Indemnitee for Expenses to the fullest extent permitted by law if Indemnitee was or is or becomes a party to or witness or other participant in, or is threatened to be made a party to or witness or other participant in, any Claim (whether by reason of or arising in part out of a Covered Event), including all interest, assessments and other charges paid or payable in connection with or in respect of such Expenses (and such interest, assessments and other charges shall be deemed to be “Expenses” for all purposes under this Agreement).
(b) Review of Indemnification Obligations. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event any Reviewing Party shall have determined (in a written opinion, in any case in which Independent Legal Counsel is the Reviewing Party) that Indemnitee is not permitted to be indemnified hereunder under applicable law, (i) the Company shall have no further obligation under Section 2(a) to make any payments to Indemnitee not made prior to such determination by such Reviewing Party, and (ii) the Company shall be entitled to be reimbursed by Indemnitee (who hereby agrees to reimburse the Company) for all Expenses theretofore paid in indemnifying Indemnitee; provided, however, that if Indemnitee has commenced or thereafter commences legal proceedings in a court of competent jurisdiction to secure a determination that Indemnitee is entitled to be indemnified hereunder under applicable law, any determination made by any Reviewing Party that Indemnitee is not entitled to be indemnified hereunder under applicable law shall not be binding and Indemnitee shall not be required to reimburse the Company for any Expenses theretofore paid in indemnifying Indemnitee until a final judicial determination is made with respect thereto (as to which all rights of appeal therefrom have been exhausted or lapsed). Indemnitee’s obligation to reimburse the Company for any Expenses shall be unsecured and no interest shall be charged thereon.
(c) Indemnitee Rights on Unfavorable Determination; Binding Effect. If any Reviewing Party determines that Indemnitee substantively is not entitled to be indemnified hereunder in whole or in part under applicable law, Indemnitee shall have the right to commence litigation seeking an initial determination by the court or challenging any such determination by such Reviewing Party or any aspect thereof, including the legal or factual bases therefor, and, subject to the provisions of Section 16, the Company hereby consents to service of process and to appear in any such proceeding. Absent such litigation, any determination by any Reviewing Party shall be conclusive and binding on the Company and Indemnitee.
(d) Reviewing Party; Change in Control. The determination of Indemnitee’s entitlement hereunder shall be made by the Reviewing Party as follows: (1) if requested by the Indemnitee, by Independent Legal Counsel, or (2) if no request is made by the Indemnitee for a determination by Independent Legal Counsel, (i) by the Board of Directors by a majority vote of a quorum consisting of Disinterested Directors, or (ii) if a quorum of the Board of Directors consisting of Disinterested Directors is not obtainable or, even if obtainable, such quorum of Disinterested Directors so directs, by Independent Legal Counsel in a written opinion to the Board of Directors, a copy of which shall be delivered to the Indemnitee. In the event the determination of the permissibility of indemnification under applicable law is to be made by Independent Legal Counsel at the request of the Indemnitee, the Independent Legal Counsel shall be selected by the Board of Directors unless there shall have occurred within two years prior to the date of the commencement of the Proceeding for which indemnification is claimed a “Change in Control” (as defined in Section 1(a)), in which case the Independent Legal Counsel shall be selected by the Indemnitee unless the Indemnitee shall request that such selection be made by the Board of Directors. Such counsel, among other things, shall render its written opinion to the Company and Indemnitee as to whether and to what extent Indemnitee would be permitted to be indemnified hereunder under applicable law and the Company agrees to abide by such opinion. The Company agrees to pay the reasonable fees of the Independent Legal Counsel referred to above and to indemnify fully such counsel against any and all expenses (including attorneys’ fees), claims, liabilities and damages arising out of or relating to this Agreement or its engagement pursuant hereto. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, the Company shall not be required to pay Expenses of more than one Independent Legal Counsel in connection with all matters concerning a single Indemnitee, and such Independent Legal Counsel shall be the Independent Legal Counsel in connection with any or all other Indemnitees unless (i) the Company otherwise determines or (ii) any Indemnitee shall provide a written statement setting forth in detail a reasonable objection to such Independent Legal Counsel representing other Indemnitees. If it is so determined that indemnification of the Indemnitee is permitted, payment to the Indemnitee shall be made within ten (10) days after such determination.
(e) Mandatory Payment of Expenses. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement other than Section 11 hereof, to the extent that Indemnitee has been successful on the merits or otherwise, including, without limitation, the dismissal of an action without prejudice, in defense of any Claim, Indemnitee shall be indemnified against all Expenses incurred by Indemnitee in connection therewith.
3. Expense Advances.
(a) Obligation to Make Expense Advances. Upon receipt of a written undertaking by or on behalf of the Indemnitee to repay such amounts if it shall ultimately be determined that the Indemnitee is not permitted to be indemnified therefor by the Company, the Company shall make Expense Advances to Indemnitee.
(b) Form of Undertaking. Any written undertaking by the Indemnitee to repay any Expense Advances hereunder shall be unsecured and no interest shall be charged thereon.
(c) Determination of Reasonable Expense Advances. The parties agree that for the purposes of any Expense Advance for which Indemnitee has made written demand to the Company in accordance with this Agreement, all Expenses included in such Expense Advance that are certified by affidavit of Indemnitee’s counsel as being reasonable shall be presumed conclusively to be reasonable.
4. Procedures for Indemnification and Expense Advances.
(a) Timing of Payments. All payments of Expenses (including without limitation Expense Advances) by the Company to the Indemnitee pursuant to this Agreement shall be made to the fullest extent permitted by law as soon as practicable after written demand by Indemnitee therefor is presented to the Company, but in no event later than ten (10) days after such written demand by Indemnitee is presented to the Company.
(b) Notice/Cooperation by Indemnitee. Indemnitee shall, as a condition precedent to Indemnitee’s right to be indemnified or Indemnitee’s right to receive Expense Advances under this Agreement, give the Company notice in writing as soon as practicable of any Claim made against Indemnitee for which indemnification will or could be sought under this Agreement, provided, however, that the failure or delay of an Indemnitee to so notify the Company shall relieve the Company of its obligations to indemnify Indemnitee for such Claim only to the extent that the defense of such Claim by the Company is actually prejudiced in such Claim as a direct result of such failure or delay. Notice to the Company shall be directed to the Secretary of the Company at the address shown on the signature page of this Agreement (or such other address as the Company shall designate in writing to Indemnitee). In addition, Indemnitee shall give the Company such information and cooperation as it may reasonably require and as shall be within Indemnitee’s power.
(c) Right of Indemnitee to Bring Suit. If Indemnitee is not paid in full by the Company within ten (10) days after a written notice has been presented to the Company, the Indemnitee may at any time thereafter bring suit against the Company to recover the unpaid amount of the Claim and, if successful in whole or in part, the Indemnitee shall be entitled to be paid also the expense (including attorneys’ fees) of prosecuting such claim. It shall be a defense to any such action (other than an action brought to enforce a claim for expenses incurred in defending a Proceeding in advance of its final disposition where the required undertaking has been tendered to the Company) that the Indemnitee has not met the standards of conduct that make it permissible under the Delaware General Corporation Law for the Company to indemnify the Indemnitee for the amount claimed. The burden of proving such a defense shall be on the Company. Neither the failure of the Company (including its Board of Directors or Independent Legal Counsel, as applicable) to have made a determination prior to the commencement of such action that indemnification of the Indemnitee is permitted under the circumstances because he has met the applicable standard of conduct set forth in the Delaware General Corporation Law, nor an actual determination by the Company (including its Board of Directors or Independent Legal Counsel, as applicable) that the Indemnitee had not met such applicable standard of conduct, shall be a defense to the action or create a presumption that Indemnitee has not met the applicable standard of conduct.
(d) No Presumptions; Burden of Proof. For purposes of this Agreement, the termination of any Claim by judgment, order, settlement (whether with or without court approval) or conviction, or upon a plea of nolo contendere, or its equivalent, shall not create a presumption that Indemnitee did not meet any particular standard of conduct or have any particular belief or that a court has determined that indemnification is not permitted by this Agreement or applicable law. In addition, neither the failure of any Reviewing Party to have made a determination as to whether Indemnitee has met any particular standard of conduct or had any particular belief, nor an actual determination by any Reviewing Party that Indemnitee has not met such standard of conduct or did not have such belief, prior to the commencement of legal proceedings by Indemnitee to secure a judicial determination that Indemnitee should be indemnified under this Agreement or applicable law, shall be a defense to Indemnitee’s claim or create a presumption that Indemnitee has not met any particular standard of conduct or did not have any particular belief. In connection with any determination by any Reviewing Party or otherwise as to whether the Indemnitee is entitled to be indemnified hereunder, the burden of proof shall be on the Company to establish that Indemnitee is not so entitled.
(e) Notice to Insurers. If, at the time of the receipt by the Company of a notice of a Claim pursuant to Section 4(b) hereof, the Company has liability insurance in effect which may cover such Claim, the Company shall give prompt notice of the commencement of such Claim to the insurers in accordance with the procedures set forth in the respective policies. The Company shall thereafter take all necessary or desirable action to cause such insurers to pay, on behalf of the Indemnitee, all amounts payable as a result of such Claim in accordance with the terms of such policies.
(f) Selection of Counsel. In the event the Company shall be obligated hereunder to provide indemnification for or make any Expense Advances with respect to the Expenses of any Claim, the Company, if appropriate, shall be entitled to assume the defense of such Claim with counsel approved by Indemnitee (which approval shall not be unreasonably withheld) upon the delivery to Indemnitee of written notice of the Company’s election to do so. After delivery of such notice, approval of such counsel by Indemnitee and the retention of such counsel by the Company, the Company will not be liable to Indemnitee under this Agreement for any fees or expenses of separate counsel subsequently employed by or on behalf of Indemnitee with respect to the same Claim; provided that, (i) Indemnitee shall have the right to employ Indemnitee’s separate counsel in any such Claim at Indemnitee’s expense and (ii) if (A) the employment of separate counsel by Indemnitee has been previously authorized by the Company, (B) Indemnitee shall have reasonably concluded that there may be a conflict of interest between the Company and Indemnitee in the conduct of any such defense, or (C) the Company shall not continue to retain such counsel to defend such Claim, then the fees and expenses of Indemnitee’s separate counsel shall be Expenses for which Indemnitee shall receive indemnification or Expense Advances hereunder.
5. Additional Indemnification Rights; Nonexclusivity.
(a) Scope. The Company hereby agrees to indemnify the Indemnitee to the fullest extent permitted by law, notwithstanding that such indemnification is not specifically authorized by the other provisions of this Agreement, the Company’s Certificate of Incorporation, the Company’s Bylaws or by statute. In the event of any change after the date of this Agreement in any applicable law, statute or rule which expands the right of a Delaware corporation to indemnify a member of its board of directors or an officer, employee, agent or fiduciary, it is the intent of the parties hereto that Indemnitee shall enjoy by this Agreement the greater benefits afforded by such change. In the event of any change in any applicable law, statute or rule which narrows the right of a Delaware corporation to indemnify a member of its board of directors or an officer, employee, agent or fiduciary, such change, to the extent not otherwise required by such law, statute or rule to be applied to this Agreement, shall have no effect on this Agreement or the parties’ rights and obligations hereunder except as set forth in Section 11(a) hereof.
(b) Nonexclusivity. The indemnification and the payment of Expense Advances provided by this Agreement shall be in addition to any rights to which Indemnitee may be entitled under the Company’s Certificate of Incorporation, its Bylaws, any other agreement, any vote of stockholders or disinterested directors, the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware, or otherwise. The indemnification and the payment of Expense Advances provided under this Agreement shall continue as to Indemnitee for any action taken or not taken while serving in an indemnified capacity even though subsequent thereto Indemnitee may have ceased to serve in such capacity.
6. No Duplication of Payments. The Company shall not be liable under this Agreement to make any payment in connection with any Claim made against Indemnitee to the extent Indemnitee has otherwise actually received payment (under any insurance policy of the Company or provision of the Company’s Certificate of Incorporation or Bylaws) of the amounts otherwise payable hereunder.
7. Indemnification of Affiliates of Indemnitee. If an Affiliate (as defined below), employee, family member, partner or agent of Indemnitee is, or is threatened to be made, a party to or a participant in any Claim, then the Affiliate, employee, family member, partner or agent of Indemnitee shall be entitled to all of the indemnification rights and remedies under this Agreement to the same extent as Indemnitee. For purposes of this Agreement, “Affiliate” shall mean with respect to Indemnitee any individual, corporation, partnership (including any partners of such partnership), limited liability company (including any members or managing members of such limited liability company), association, trust or other entity or organization directly or indirectly controlling, controlled by or under common control with such Indemnitee.
8. Partial Indemnification. If Indemnitee is entitled under any provision of this Agreement to indemnification by the Company for some or a portion of Expenses incurred in connection with any Claim, but not, however, for all of the total amount thereof, the Company shall nevertheless indemnify Indemnitee for the portion of such Expenses to which Indemnitee is entitled.
9. Mutual Acknowledgement. Both the Company and Indemnitee acknowledge that in certain instances, federal law or applicable public policy may prohibit the Company from indemnifying its directors, officers, employees, agents or fiduciaries under this Agreement or otherwise. Indemnitee understands and acknowledges that the Company has undertaken or may be required in the future to undertake with the Securities and Exchange Commission to submit the question of indemnification to a court in certain circumstances for a determination of the Company’s right under public policy to indemnify Indemnitee.
10. Liability Insurance. To the extent the Company maintains liability insurance applicable to directors, officers, employees, agents or fiduciaries, Indemnitee shall be covered by such policies in such a manner as to provide Indemnitee the same rights and benefits as are provided to the most favorably insured of the Company’s directors, if Indemnitee is a director; or of the Company’s officers, if Indemnitee is not a director of the Company but is an officer; or of the Company’s key employees, agents or fiduciaries, if Indemnitee is not an officer or director but is a key employee, agent or fiduciary.
11. Exceptions. Notwithstanding any other provision of this Agreement, the Company shall not be obligated pursuant to the terms of this Agreement:
(a) Excluded Action or Omissions. To indemnify Indemnitee for Expenses resulting from acts, omissions or transactions for which Indemnitee is prohibited from receiving indemnification by applicable law.
(b) Claims Initiated by Indemnitee. To indemnify or make Expense Advances to Indemnitee with respect to Claims initiated or brought voluntarily by Indemnitee and not by way of defense, counterclaim or cross-claim, except (i) with respect to actions or proceedings brought to establish or enforce a right to indemnification under this Agreement or any other agreement or insurance policy or under the Company’s Certificate of Incorporation or Bylaws now or hereafter in effect relating to Claims for Covered Events, (ii) in specific cases if the Board of Directors has approved the initiation or bringing of such Claim, or (iii) as otherwise required under Section 145 of the Delaware General Corporation Law, regardless of whether Indemnitee ultimately is determined to be entitled to such indemnification or insurance recovery, as the case may be.
(c) Lack of Good Faith. To indemnify Indemnitee for any Expenses incurred by the Indemnitee with respect to any action instituted (i) by Indemnitee to enforce or interpret this Agreement, if a court having jurisdiction over such action determines as provided in Section 14 that each of the material assertions made by the Indemnitee as a basis for such action was not made in good faith or was frivolous, or (ii) by or in the name of the Company to enforce or interpret this Agreement, if a court having jurisdiction over such action determines as provided in Section 14 that each of the material defenses asserted by Indemnitee in such action was made in bad faith or was frivolous.
(d) Claims Under Section 16(b). To indemnify Indemnitee for expenses and the payment of profits arising from the purchase and sale by Indemnitee of securities in violation of Section 16(b) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, or any similar successor statute.
12. Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in one or more counterparts, each of which shall constitute an original.
13. Binding Effect; Successors and Assigns. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of and be enforceable by the parties hereto and their respective successors, assigns (including any direct or indirect successor by purchase, merger, consolidation or otherwise to all or substantially all of the business or assets of the Company), spouses, heirs and personal and legal representatives. This Agreement shall continue in effect regardless of whether Indemnitee continues to serve as a director, officer, employee, agent or fiduciary (as applicable) of the Company or of any other enterprise at the Company’s request.
14. Expenses Incurred in Action Relating to Enforcement or Interpretation. In the event that any action is instituted by Indemnitee under this Agreement or under any liability insurance policies maintained by the Company to enforce or interpret any of the terms hereof or thereof, Indemnitee shall be entitled to be indemnified for all Expenses incurred by Indemnitee with respect to such action (including without limitation attorneys’ fees), regardless of whether Indemnitee is ultimately successful in such action, unless as a part of such action a court having jurisdiction over such action makes a final judicial determination (as to which all rights of appeal therefrom have been exhausted or lapsed) that each of the material assertions made by Indemnitee as a basis for such action was not made in good faith or was frivolous. In the event of an action instituted by or in the name of the Company under this Agreement to enforce or interpret any of the terms of this Agreement, Indemnitee shall be entitled to be indemnified for all Expenses incurred by Indemnitee in defense of such action (including without limitation costs and expenses incurred with respect to Indemnitee’s counterclaims and cross-claims made in such action), unless as a part of such action a court having jurisdiction over such action makes a final judicial determination (as to which all rights of appeal therefrom have been exhausted or lapsed) that each of the material defenses asserted by Indemnitee in such action was made in bad faith or was frivolous.
15. Notice. All notices, requests, demands and other communications under this Agreement shall be in writing and shall be deemed duly given (i) if delivered by hand and signed for by the party addressed, on the date of such delivery, (ii) if mailed by domestic certified or registered mail with postage prepaid, on the third business day after the date postmarked, (iii) one business day after the business day of deposit with Federal Express or similar overnight courier, freight prepaid, or (iv) one business day after the business day of delivery by facsimile transmission, if delivered by facsimile transmission, with copy by first class mail, postage prepaid. Addresses for notice to either party are as shown on the signature page of this Agreement, or as subsequently modified by written notice.
16. Consent to Jurisdiction. The Company and Indemnitee each hereby irrevocably consent to the jurisdiction of the courts of the State of Delaware for all purposes in connection with any action or proceeding which arises out of or relates to this Agreement and agree that any action instituted under this Agreement shall be commenced, prosecuted and continued only in the Court of Chancery of the State of Delaware in and for New Castle County, which shall be the exclusive and only proper forum for adjudicating such a claim.
17. Severability. The provisions of this Agreement shall be severable in the event that any of the provisions hereof (including any provision within a single section, paragraph or sentence) are held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, void or otherwise unenforceable, and the remaining provisions shall remain enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by law. Furthermore, to the fullest extent possible, the provisions of this Agreement (including without limitation each portion of this Agreement containing any provision held to be invalid, void or otherwise unenforceable, that is not itself invalid, void or unenforceable) shall be construed so as to give effect to the intent manifested by the provision held invalid, illegal or unenforceable.
18. Choice of Law. This Agreement, and all rights, remedies, liabilities, powers and duties of the parties to this Agreement, shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Delaware, as applied to contracts between Delaware residents, entered into and performed exclusively within the Delaware, without regard to principles of conflicts of laws.
19. Subrogation. In the event of payment under this Agreement, the Company shall be subrogated to the extent of such payment to all of the rights of recovery of Indemnitee, who shall execute all documents required and shall do all acts that may be necessary to secure such rights and to enable the Company effectively to bring suit to enforce such rights.
20. Amendment and Termination. No amendment, modification, termination or cancellation of this Agreement shall be effective unless it is in writing signed by both the parties hereto. No waiver of any of the provisions of this Agreement shall be deemed to be or shall constitute a waiver of any other provisions hereof (whether or not similar), nor shall such waiver constitute a continuing waiver.
21. Integration and Entire Agreement. This Agreement sets forth the entire understanding between the parties hereto and supersedes and merges all previous written and oral negotiations, commitments, understandings and agreements relating to the subject matter hereof between the parties hereto.
22. No Construction as Employment Agreement. Nothing contained in this Agreement shall be construed as giving Indemnitee any right to be retained in the employ of the Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliated entities.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties hereto have executed this Indemnification Agreement as of the date first above written.
|MONOLITHIC POWER SYSTEMS, INC.||AGREED TO AND ACCEPTED|
|By:||/s/ Michael Hsing||By:||/s/ Carintia Martinez|
|Name:||Michael Hsing||Name:||Carintia Martinez|
|Title:||President and CEO|