EX-10.1 3 ex10-1.htm
SECURITIES PURCHASE AGREEMENT
THIS SECURITIES PURCHASE AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”) is made as of January 11, 2019 between MGT Capital Investments, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), and [____] (the “Investor”).
WHEREAS, upon the terms and conditions stated in the Agreement and pursuant to Section 4(a)(2) of the 1933 Act (as defined below) and Rule 506 of Regulation D promulgated thereunder, the Investor wishes to purchase, and the Company wishes to sell a promissory note in the original principal amount of $120,000, in the form attached hereto as Exhibit A (the “Note”);
WHEREAS, upon the terms and conditions stated in the Agreement and pursuant to Section 4(a)(2) of the 1933 Act (as defined below) and Rule 506 of Regulation D promulgated thereunder, the Investor wishes to purchase, and the Company wishes to sell 1,000 shares of Series B Preferred Stock with the rights and features as enumerated in the form of Certificate of Designation attached hereto as Exhibit B (the “Preferred”).
WHEREAS, the parties have agreed that the obligation to repay the Note shall be senior unsecured obligations of the Company; and
WHEREAS, the Note and the Preferred, are collectively referred to herein as the “Securities” and the offering contemplated hereby is referred to herein as the “Offering.”
NOW, THEREFORE, for good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, and in consideration of the premises and the mutual agreements, representations and warranties, provisions and covenants contained herein, the parties hereto, intending to be legally bound hereby, agree as follows:
1. Purchase and Sale of Securities. On the Closing Date (as hereinafter defined), subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the Investor hereby agrees to purchase, and the Company hereby agrees to sell and issue, the Securities.
2. Purchase Price. The aggregate purchase price for the Securities to be purchased by the Investor at the Closing shall be $90,000 (the “Purchase Price”). At the Closing, the Investor shall fund the Purchase Price by wire transfer of immediately available funds to the account specified in writing by the Company prior to the date hereof.
3. The Closing. Subject to the conditions set forth below, the purchase and sale of the Securities shall take place at a mutually agreeable location, on or about the date hereof (the “Closing” and the “Closing Date”). At the Closing, the Company shall deliver to the Investor: (i) this Agreement duly executed by the Company and (ii) the Securities purchased hereby duly executed by the Company and registered in the name of the Investor, At the Closing, the Investor shall deliver to the Company (x) this Agreement duly executed by the Investor and (y) the Purchase Price for the Securities.
4. Closing Conditions; Certain Covenants.
4.1 Conditions to the Investor’s Obligations. The obligation of the Investor to purchase the Securities to the Investor at the Closing is subject to the fulfillment, to the Investor’s reasonable satisfaction, prior to or at the Closing, of each of the following conditions:
(a) Representations and Warranties. The representations and warranties of the Company contained in this Agreement shall be true and correct in all respects on the date hereof (except for representations and warranties that speak as of a specific date, which shall be true and correct as of such specific date).
(b) Covenants. The Company shall have performed, satisfied and complied in all respects with the covenants, agreements and conditions required to be performed, satisfied or complied with by the Company at or prior to the Closing Date.
(c) Note. At the Closing, the Company shall have duly executed and delivered to the Investor the Note purchased hereby, duly executed by the Company and registered in the name of the Investor.
(d) Preferred. At the Closing, the Company shall have duly executed and delivered to the Investor the certificate representing the Preferred purchased hereby, duly executed by the Company and registered in the name of the Investor.
(e) No Actions. No action, proceeding, investigation, regulation or legislation shall have been instituted, threatened or proposed before any court, governmental agency or authority or legislative body to enjoin, restrain, prohibit or obtain substantial damages in respect of, this Agreement or the consummation of the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
(f) Proceedings and Documents. All proceedings in connection with the transactions contemplated hereby and all documents and instruments incident to such transactions shall be reasonably satisfactory in substance and form to the Investor, and the Investor shall have received all such counterpart originals or certified or other copies of such documents as they may reasonably request.
(g) No Consents. The Company shall have obtained all governmental, regulatory or third-party consents and approvals, if any, necessary for the sale of the Securities.
4.2 Conditions to the Company’s Obligations. The obligation of the Company to sell and issue the Securities to the Investor at the Closing is subject to the fulfillment, to the Company’s reasonable satisfaction, prior to or at the Closing, of each of the following conditions:
(a) Representations and Warranties. The representations and warranties of the Investor contained in this Agreement shall be true and correct in all respects on the date hereof (except for representations and warranties that speak as of a specific date, which shall be true and correct as of such specific date).
(b) Purchase Price. At the Closing, the Investor shall have tendered to the Company the Purchase Price by wire transfer of immediately available funds to the account specified in writing by the Company prior to the date hereof.
(c) No Actions. No action, proceeding, investigation, regulation or legislation shall have been instituted, threatened or proposed before any court, governmental agency or authority or legislative body to enjoin, restrain, prohibit, or obtain substantial damages in respect of, this Agreement or the consummation of the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
(d) Proceedings and Documents. All proceedings in connection with the transactions contemplated hereby and all documents and instruments incident to such transactions shall be satisfactory in substance and form to the Company and the Company shall have received all such counterpart originals or certified or other copies of such documents as the Company may reasonably request.
4.3 Securities Law Disclosure; Publicity. If the Company determines in its sole discretion that a Form 8-K disclosing the material terms of the transactions contemplated hereby is required, then it will file such Form 8-K timely. The Company represents to the Investor that the Company has publicly disclosed all material, non-public information delivered to the Investor by the Company or any of its Subsidiaries, or any of their respective officers, directors, employees or agents in connection with the transactions contemplated by this Agreement. The Company shall not, and the Company shall cause each of its Subsidiaries and each of its and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents not to, provide the Investor with any material, non-public information regarding the Company or any of its Subsidiaries from and after the date hereof without the express prior written consent of the Investor (which may be granted or withheld in the Investor’s sole discretion).
5. Representations and Warranties of the Company. Except as set forth in the Disclosure Schedules or the Public Reports (as defined herein), which Disclosure Schedules shall be deemed a part hereof and shall qualify any representation or otherwise made herein to the extent of the disclosure contained in the corresponding section of the Disclosure Schedules, the Company hereby makes the following representations and warranties to the Investor:
5.1 Organization, Good Standing and Qualification. The Company is a corporation duly organized, validly existing and in good standing under the laws of the State of Delaware. The Company is duly qualified to transact business and is in good standing in each jurisdiction in which the failure to so qualify would have a Material Adverse Effect.
5.3 Authorization; Enforcement. All corporate action on the part of the Company, its officers, directors and stockholders necessary for the authorization, execution and delivery of this Agreement, the Note, the Preferred, and the performance of all obligations of the Company, and the authorization (or reservation for issuance), sale and issuance of the Securities have been taken on or prior to the date hereof. Each of this Agreement, the Note, and the Preferred have been duly executed by the Company and, when delivered in accordance with the terms hereof and thereof, will constitute the valid and binding obligation of the Company enforceable against the Company in accordance with its terms, except: (i) as limited by general equitable principles and applicable bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, moratorium and other laws of general application affecting enforcement of creditors’ rights generally, (ii) as limited by laws relating to the availability of specific performance, injunctive relief or other equitable remedies and (iii) insofar as indemnification and contribution provisions may be limited by applicable law.
5.4 Valid Issuance of the Securities. The Note and the Preferred are duly authorized and, when issued and paid for in accordance with this Agreement, will be duly and validly issued, and free and clear of all Liens imposed by the Company other than restrictions on transfer under this Agreement and under applicable state and federal securities laws.
5.5 Offering. Subject to the truth and accuracy of the Investor’s representations set forth in Section 6 of this Agreement, the offer and sale of the Securities, as contemplated by this Agreement are exempt from the registration requirements of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “1933 Act”), and the qualification or registration requirements of state securities laws or other applicable blue sky laws. Neither the Company nor any authorized agent acting on its behalf will take any action hereafter that would cause the loss of such exemptions.
5.6 Public Reports. The Company is current in its filing obligations under the 1934 Act, including without limitation as to its filings of Annual Reports on Form 10-K, Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q and Current Reports on Form 8-K (collectively, the “Public Reports”). The Public Reports do not contain any untrue statement of a material fact or omit to state any fact necessary to make any statement therein not misleading. The financial statements included within Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2017 and for each quarterly period thereafter (the “Financial Statements”) have been prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”) applied on a consistent basis throughout the periods indicated and with each other, except that unaudited Financial Statements may not contain all footnotes required by GAAP. The Financial Statements fairly present, in all material respects, the financial condition and operating results of the Company as of the dates, and for the periods, indicated therein, subject in the case of unaudited Financial Statements to normal year-end audit adjustments.
5.7 Compliance with Laws. The Company has not violated any law or any governmental regulation or requirement which violation has had or would reasonably be expected to have a Material Adverse Effect on its business and the Company has not received written notice of any such violation. The Company is not in violation of the requirements of the Trading Market and has no knowledge of any facts or circumstances which could reasonably lead to delisting or suspension of the Common Shares in the foreseeable future.
5.8 Acknowledgment Regarding Investor’s Purchase of Securities. The Company acknowledges and agrees that the Investor is acting solely in the capacity of an arm’s length purchaser with respect to this Agreement and the transactions contemplated hereby and that such Investor is not (i) an officer or director of the Company or any of its Subsidiaries, (ii) an “affiliate” (as defined in Rule 144) of the Company or any of its Subsidiaries, except as may be attributed to the Investor’s ownership of the Preferred at Closing, or (iii) to its knowledge, a “beneficial owner” of more than 10% of the Common Shares (as defined for purposes of Rule 13d-3 of the 1934 Act), except as may be attributed to the Investor’s ownership of the Preferred at Closing. The Company further acknowledges that such Investor is not acting as a financial advisor or fiduciary of the Company or any of its Subsidiaries (or in any similar capacity) with respect to this Agreement and the transactions contemplated hereby, and any advice given by such Investor or any of its representatives or agents in connection with this Agreement and the transactions contemplated hereby is merely incidental to such Investor’s purchase of the Securities. The Company further represents to such Investor that the Company’s decision to enter into this Agreement has been based solely on the independent evaluation by the Company and its representatives.
6. Representations and Warranties of the Investor. The Investor hereby represents, warrants and covenants, as to itself only and not the other Investor, that:
6.1 Organization,. The Investor is a limited liability company duly organized, validly existing and in good standing under the laws of the State of Florida.
6.2 Authorization. The Investor has full power and authority to enter into this Agreement, to perform its obligations hereunder and to consummate the transactions contemplated hereby and has taken all action necessary to authorize the execution and delivery of this Agreement, the performance of its obligations hereunder and thereunder and the consummation of the transactions contemplated hereby and thereby.
6.3 No Public Sale or Distribution. The Investor is (i) acquiring the Securities for its own account, not as a nominee or agent, and not with a view towards, or for resale in connection with, the public sale or distribution of any part thereof, except pursuant to sales registered or exempted under the 1933 Act. The Investor is acquiring the Securities hereunder in the ordinary course of its business. The Investor does not presently have any contract, agreement, undertaking, arrangement or understanding, directly or indirectly, with any individual, a limited liability company, a partnership, a joint venture, a corporation, a trust, an unincorporated organization and a government or any department or agency thereof (a “Person”) to sell, transfer, pledge, assign or otherwise distribute any of the Securities.
6.4 Accredited Investor Status; Investment Experience. The Investor is an “accredited investor” as that term is defined in Rule 501(a) of Regulation D. The Investor can bear the economic risk of its investment in the Securities and has such knowledge and experience in financial and business matters that it is capable of evaluating the merits and risks of an investment in the Securities.
6.5 Reliance on Exemptions. The Investor understands that the Securities are being offered and sold to it in reliance on specific exemptions from the registration requirements of United States federal and state securities laws and that the Company is relying in part upon the truth and accuracy of, and the Investor’s compliance with, the representations, warranties, agreements, acknowledgments and understandings of the Investor set forth herein in order to determine the availability of such exemptions and the eligibility of the Investor to acquire the Securities.
6.6 Information. The Investor and its advisors, if any, have been furnished with all materials relating to the business, finances and operations of the Company and materials relating to the offer and sale of the Securities which have been requested by the Investor. The Investor and its advisors, if any, have been afforded the opportunity to ask questions of the Company. Neither such inquiries nor any other due diligence investigations conducted by the Investor or its advisors, if any, or its representatives shall modify, amend or affect the Investor’s right to rely on the Company’s representations and warranties contained herein. The Investor understands that its investment in the Securities involves a high degree of risk. The Investor has sought such accounting, legal and tax advice as it has considered necessary to make an informed investment decision with respect to its acquisition of the Securities. The Investor is relying solely on its own accounting, legal and tax advisors, and not on any statements of the Company or any of its agents or representatives, for such accounting, legal and tax advice with respect to its acquisition of the Securities and the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
7. Use of Proceeds. The Company shall use the proceeds from the sale of the Securities for general working capital purposes.
8. Indemnification. In consideration of the Investor’s execution and delivery of this Agreement and acquiring the Securities hereunder and in addition to all of the Company’s other obligations under this Agreement, the Note, and the Preferred, the Company shall defend, protect, indemnify and hold harmless the Investor and each holder of any Securities and all of their stockholders, partners, members, officers, directors or employees and any of the foregoing Persons’ agents or other representatives (including, without limitation, those retained in connection with the transactions contemplated by this Agreement) (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) from and against any and all actions, causes of action, suits, claims, losses, costs, penalties, fees, liabilities and damages, and expenses in connection therewith (irrespective of whether any such Indemnitee is a party to the action for which indemnification hereunder is sought), and including reasonable attorneys’ fees and disbursements (the “Indemnified Liabilities”), incurred by any Indemnitee as a result of, or arising out of, or relating to (a) any misrepresentation or breach of any representation or warranty made by the Company in this Agreement or the Securities or (b) any breach of any covenant, agreement or obligation of the Company contained in any of this Agreement or the Securities. To the extent that the foregoing undertaking by the Company may be unenforceable for any reason, the Company shall make the maximum contribution to the payment and satisfaction of each of the Indemnified Liabilities which is permissible under applicable law.
9.1 Successors and Assigns. Except as otherwise provided herein, the terms and conditions of this Agreement shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the respective successors and assigns of the parties (including transferees of the Securities). Nothing in this Agreement, express or implied, is intended to confer upon any party, other than the parties hereto or their respective successors and assigns, any rights, remedies, obligations or liabilities under or by reason of this Agreement, except as expressly provided in this Agreement.
9.2 Governing Law; Jurisdiction; Jury Trial. All questions concerning the construction, validity, enforcement and interpretation of this Agreement shall be governed by the internal laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law provision or rule (whether of the State of New York or any other jurisdictions) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdictions other than the State of New York. Each party hereby irrevocably submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in New York County, New York, for the adjudication of any dispute hereunder or in connection herewith or with any transaction contemplated hereby or discussed herein, and hereby irrevocably waives, and agrees not to assert in any suit, action or proceeding, any claim that it is not personally subject to the jurisdiction of any such court, that such suit, action or proceeding is brought in an inconvenient forum or that the venue of such suit, action or proceeding is improper. Each party hereby irrevocably waives personal service of process and consents to process being served in any such suit, action or proceeding by mailing a copy thereof to such party at the address for such notices to it under this Agreement and agrees that such service shall constitute good and sufficient service of process and notice thereof. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to limit in any way any right to serve process in any manner permitted by law. EACH PARTY HEREBY IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ANY RIGHT IT MAY HAVE, AND AGREES NOT TO REQUEST, A JURY TRIAL FOR THE ADJUDICATION OF ANY DISPUTE HEREUNDER OR IN CONNECTION WITH OR ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT OR ANY TRANSACTION CONTEMPLATED HEREBY.
9.3 Titles and Subtitles. The titles and subtitles used in this Agreement are used for convenience only and are not to be considered in construing or interpreting this Agreement.
9.4 Notices. All notices required or permitted hereunder shall be in writing and shall be deemed effectively given: (a) upon personal delivery to the party to be notified, (b) when sent by confirmed telex or facsimile or email if sent during normal business hours of the recipient; if not, then on the next Trading Day, (c) five (5) Trading Days after having been sent by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, postage prepaid, or (d) one (1) day after deposit with a nationally recognized overnight courier, specifying next day delivery, with written verification of receipt. All communications shall be sent to (a) in the case of the Company, to MGT Capital Investments, Inc., 512 S. Mangum Street, Suite #408, Durham, NC 27701 and (b) in the case of the Investor, to [__].
9.5 Amendments and Waivers. No provision of this Agreement may be amended other than by a written instrument signed by both parties hereto. No provision of this Agreement may be waived other than in a written instrument signed by the party against whom enforcement of such waiver is sought. No failure or delay in the exercise of any power, right or privilege hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any such power, right or privilege preclude other or further exercises thereof or of any other right, power or privilege.
9.6 Brokers or Finder’s Fees. The Company shall indemnify and hold harmless the Investor from any liability for any commission or compensation in the nature of a broker’s or finders’ fee (and the costs and expenses of defending against such liability or asserted liability) for which the Company or any of its officers, employees or representatives is responsible.
9.7 Severability. If one or more provisions of this Agreement are held to be unenforceable under applicable law, such provision shall be excluded from this Agreement and the balance of the Agreement shall be interpreted as if such provision were so excluded and shall be enforceable in accordance with its terms.
9.8 Entire Agreement. This Agreement and the documents referred to herein constitute the entire agreement among the parties and no party shall be liable or bound to any other party in any manner by any warranties, representations or covenants except as specifically set forth herein or therein.
9.9 Counterparts. This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument.
9.10 Interpretation. Unless the context of this Agreement clearly requires otherwise, (a) references to the plural include the singular, the singular the plural, the part the whole, (b) references to any gender include all genders, (c) “including” has the inclusive meaning frequently identified with the phrase “but not limited to” and (d) references to “hereunder” or “herein” relate to this Agreement.
9.11 Remedies. In addition to being entitled to exercise all rights provided herein or granted by law, including recovery of damages, the Investor and the Company will be entitled to specific performance under this Agreement. The parties agree that monetary damages may not be adequate compensation for any loss incurred by reason of any breach of obligations contained in this Agreement and hereby agree to waive and not to assert in any action for specific performance of any such obligation the defense that a remedy at law would be adequate.
10. Additional Defined Terms. In addition to the terms defined elsewhere in this Agreement and the Securities, the following terms have the meanings set forth in this Section 18:
10.1 “1934 Act” means the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder.
10.2 “Common Shares” means the common stock, par value $0.001 per share, of the Company.
10.3 “Liens” means a lien, charge pledge, security interest, encumbrance, right of first refusal, preemptive right or other restriction.
10.4 “Material Adverse Effect” means (i) a material adverse effect on the legality, validity or enforceability of this Agreement or the Securities, (ii) a material adverse effect on the results of operations, assets, business or condition (financial or otherwise) of the Company and its Subsidiaries, taken as a whole, or (iii) a material adverse effect on the Company’s ability to perform in any material respect on a timely basis its obligations under this Agreement or the Securities.
10.5 “Subsidiary” means any corporation or other entity of which at least a majority of the securities or other ownership interest having ordinary voting power for the election of directors or other persons performing similar functions are at the time owned directly or indirectly by the Company and/or any of its other Subsidiaries.
10.6 “Trading Day” means any day on which the Common Shares are traded on the Trading Market, provided that “Trading Day” shall not include any day on which the Common Shares are scheduled to trade on the Trading Market for less than 4.5 hours or any day that the Common Shares are suspended from trading during the final hour of trading on the Trading Market (or if the Trading Market does not designate in advance the closing time of trading on the Trading Market, then during the hour ending at 4:00:00 p.m., Eastern time) unless such day is otherwise designated as a Trading Day in writing by the Investor.
10.8 “Trading Market” means the OTCQB operated by the OTC Markets Group, Inc. (or any nationally recognized successor thereto); provided, however, that in the event the Company’s Common Shares are ever listed or traded on The NASDAQ Capital Market, The NASDAQ Global Market, The NASDAQ Global Select Market, the New York Stock Exchange, the NYSE MKT, or the OTCQX operated by the OTC Markets Group, Inc. (or any nationally recognized successor to any of the foregoing), then the “Trading Market” shall mean such other market or exchange on which the Company’s Common Shares are then listed or traded.
[SIGNATURES ON THE FOLLOWING PAGE]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties have caused this Agreement to be duly executed and delivered as of the date provided above.
| || |
| ||MGT CAPITAL INVESTMENTS, INC.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| ||Name: ||Robert Lowrey|
| ||Title: ||Chief Financial Officer|
[SIGNATURE PAGE TO SPA JANUARY 11, 2019]
FORM OF NOTE
NEITHER THIS NOTE NOR THE SECURITIES INTO WHICH THIS NOTE IS PROMISSORY HAVE BEEN REGISTERED WITH THE SECURITIES AND EXCHANGE COMMISSION OR THE SECURITIES COMMISSION OF ANY STATE. THESE SECURITIES HAVE BEEN SOLD IN RELIANCE UPON AN EXEMPTION FROM REGISTRATION UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE “SECURITIES ACT”), AND, ACCORDINGLY, MAY NOT BE OFFERED OR SOLD EXCEPT PURSUANT TO AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR PURSUANT TO AN AVAILABLE EXEMPTION FROM, OR IN A TRANSACTION NOT SUBJECT TO, THE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS OF THE SECURITIES ACT AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS.
MGT Capital Investments, Inc.
| ||Issuance Date: January 11, 2019 ||Original Principal Amount: $120,000 || |
FOR VALUE RECEIVED, MGT Capital Investments, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), hereby promises to pay to the order of [____] or registered assigns (the “Holder”) the amount set out above as the Original Principal Amount (as reduced pursuant to the terms hereof pursuant to redemption, conversion or otherwise, the “Principal”) when due, whether upon the Maturity Date (as defined below), acceleration, redemption or otherwise (in each case in accordance with the terms hereof).
The Original Principal Amount is $120,000 (one hundred twenty thousand dollars) plus any other fees in accordance with the terms hereof. The consideration is $90,000 (ninety thousand dollars) payable by wire transfer. The Holder shall pay $90,000 representing the consideration upon closing of this Note. For purposes hereof, the term “Outstanding Balance” means the Original Principal Amount, as reduced or increased, as the case may be, pursuant to the terms hereof, breach hereof or otherwise, plus any collection and enforcements costs, and any other fees or charges incurred under this Note.
(1) GENERAL TERMS
(a) Payment of Principal. The “Maturity Date” shall be August 1, 2019 and may be extended at the option of the Holder.
(b) Interest. The Original Principal Amount shall not bear interest.
(c) Security. This Note is not secured.
(d) Seniority. While any obligations of the Note shall remain outstanding, the obligations of the Company hereunder shall rank senior to all other unsecured indebtedness of the Company, whether now or hereinafter existing.
(e) Pre-Payment. The Company will be allowed to pre-pay the note to the Holder in whole or in part at any time without any pre-payment penalty.
(2) EVENTS OF DEFAULT.
(a) An “Event of Default”, wherever used herein, means any one of the following events (whatever the reason and whether it shall be voluntary or involuntary or effected by operation of law or pursuant to any judgment, decree or order of any court, or any order, rule or regulation of any administrative or governmental body):
(i) The Company’s failure to pay to the Holder any amount of Principal or other amounts when and as due under this Note (including, without limitation, the Company’s failure to pay any redemption payments or amounts hereunder);
(ii) The Company or any subsidiary of the Company shall commence, or there shall be commenced against the Company or any subsidiary of the Company under any applicable bankruptcy or insolvency laws as now or hereafter in effect or any successor thereto, or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company commences any other proceeding under any reorganization, arrangement, adjustment of debt, relief of debtors, dissolution, insolvency or liquidation or similar law of any jurisdiction whether now or hereafter in effect relating to the Company or any subsidiary of the Company or there is commenced against the Company or any subsidiary of the Company any such bankruptcy, insolvency or other proceeding which remains undismissed for a period of 61 days; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company is adjudicated insolvent or bankrupt; or any order of relief or other order approving any such case or proceeding is entered; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company suffers any appointment of any custodian, private or court appointed receiver or the like for it or any substantial part of its property which continues undischarged or unstayed for a period of sixty one (61) days; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company makes a general assignment for the benefit of creditors; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company shall fail to pay, or shall state that it is unable to pay, or shall be unable to pay, its debts generally as they become due; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company shall call a meeting of its creditors with a view to arranging a composition, adjustment or restructuring of its debts; or the Company or any subsidiary of the Company shall by any act or failure to act expressly indicate its consent to, approval of or acquiescence in any of the foregoing; or any corporate or other action is taken by the Company or any subsidiary of the Company for the purpose of effecting any of the foregoing;
(iii) The Company or any subsidiary of the Company shall default in any of its obligations under any other Note or any mortgage, credit agreement or other facility, indenture agreement, factoring agreement or other instrument under which there may be issued, or by which there may be secured or evidenced any indebtedness for borrowed money or money due under any long term leasing or factoring arrangement of the Company or any subsidiary of the Company in an amount exceeding $100,000, whether such indebtedness now exists or shall hereafter be created; and
(iv) The Company shall have issued or reserved the entire number of common shares as authorized under its articles of incorporation.
(b) Upon the occurrence of any Event of Default, the Outstanding Balance shall immediately increase to 120% of the Outstanding Balance immediately prior to the occurrence of the Event of Default (the “Default Effect”). The Default Effect shall automatically apply upon the occurrence of an Event of Default without the need for any party to give any notice or take any other action. Upon the occurrence of any Event of Default, the Note shall become immediately due and payable and the Borrower shall pay to the Holder, in full satisfaction of its obligations hereunder, the Outstanding Balance, all without demand, presentment or notice, all of which hereby are expressly waived, together with all costs, including, without limitation, reasonable and documented legal fees and expenses, of collection, and the Holder shall be entitled to exercise all other rights and remedies available at law or in equity.
(3) MANDATORY MONTHLY PAYMENTS. Beginning on March 1, 2019 and continuing on the 1st of every consecutive calendar month, the Company shall make a cash payment in the amount of $20,000.00 to the Holder (the “Monthly Payment”), which Monthly Payment shall represent a repayment of Principal. If the 1st of any calendar month is not a business day, then the Company shall make the Monthly Payment on the next business day.
(4) REISSUANCE OF THIS NOTE.
(a) Assignability. The Company may not assign this Note. This Note will be binding upon the Company and its successors and will inure to the benefit of the Holder and its successors and assigns and may be assigned by the Holder with the Company’s approval.
(b) Lost, Stolen or Mutilated Note. Upon receipt by the Company of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of the loss, theft, destruction or mutilation of this Note, and, in the case of loss, theft or destruction, of any indemnification undertaking by the Holder to the Company in customary form and, in the case of mutilation, upon surrender and cancellation of this Note, the Company shall execute and deliver to the Holder a new Note representing the outstanding Principal.
(5) NOTICES. Any notices, consents, waivers or other communications required or permitted to be given under the terms hereof must be in writing and will be deemed to have been delivered: (i) upon receipt, when delivered personally; (ii) upon receipt, when sent by facsimile (provided confirmation of transmission is mechanically or electronically generated and kept on file by the sending party) (iii) upon receipt, when sent by email; or (iv) one (1) Business Day after deposit with a nationally recognized overnight delivery service, in each case properly addressed to the party to receive the same. The addresses and facsimile numbers for such communications shall be those set forth in the communications and documents that each party has provided the other immediately preceding the issuance of this Note or at such other address and/or facsimile number and/or to the attention of such other person as the recipient party has specified by written notice given to each other party three (3) Business Days prior to the effectiveness of such change. Written confirmation of receipt (i) given by the recipient of such notice, consent, waiver or other communication, (ii) mechanically or electronically generated by the sender’s facsimile machine containing the time, date, recipient facsimile number and an image of the first page of such transmission or (iii) provided by a nationally recognized overnight delivery service, shall be rebuttable evidence of personal service, receipt by facsimile or receipt from a nationally recognized overnight delivery service in accordance with clause (i), (ii) or (iii) above, respectively.
The addresses for such communications shall be:
If to the Company, to:
MGT Capital Investments, Inc.
512 S. Mangum Street — Suite 408
Durham, NC 27701
Attn: Robert Lowrey
If to the Holder:
(6) APPLICABLE LAW AND VENUE. This Note shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to conflicts of laws thereof. Any action brought by either party against the other concerning the transactions contemplated by this Agreement shall be brought only in the state courts of New York or in the federal courts located in the city and county of New York, in the State of New York. Both parties and the individuals signing this Agreement agree to submit to the jurisdiction of such courts.
(a) WAIVER. Any waiver by the Holder of a breach of any provision of this Note shall not operate as or be construed to be a waiver of any other breach of such provision or of any breach of any other provision of this Note. The failure of the Holder to insist upon strict adherence to any term of this Note on one or more occasions shall not be considered a waiver or deprive that party of the right thereafter to insist upon strict adherence to that term or any other term of this Note. Any waiver must be in writing.
Remainder of Page Intentionally Blank
Signature page follows
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has caused this Promissory Note to be duly executed by a duly authorized officer as of the date set forth above.
| || |
| ||MGT Capital Investments, Inc.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| ||Name: ||Robert Lowrey|
| ||Title: ||Chief Financial Officer|
Signature Page to Promissory Note
CERTIFICATE OF DESIGNATION
CERTIFICATE OF DESIGNATION OF
12% SERIES B PREFERRED STOCK OF
MGT CAPITAL INVESTMENTS, INC.
MGT Capital Investments, Inc., a corporation organized and existing under the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware (the “Company”), DOES HEREBY CERTIFY:
That, pursuant to authority vested in the Board of Directors of the Company by its Restated Certificate of Incorporation, and pursuant to the provisions of Section 151 of the General Corporation Law of the State of Delaware (the “DGCL”), the Board of Directors of the Company has adopted the following resolution providing for the issuance of a series of Preferred Stock:
RESOLVED, that pursuant to the authority expressly granted in the Board of Directors of the Company by the Restated Certificate of Incorporation of the Company, a series of Preferred Stock, par value $0.001 per share, of the Company be, and it hereby is, created, and that the designation and amount thereof and the powers, designations, preferences and relative, participating, optional and other special rights of the shares of such series, and the qualifications, limitations or restrictions thereof are as follows:
1. Designation and Number of Shares. There shall hereby be created and established by this Certificate of Designation (this “Certificate of Designation”) a series of preferred stock of the Company designated as “12% Series B Preferred Stock” (the “Preferred Shares”). The authorized number of Preferred Shares shall be 10,000 shares. Each Preferred Share shall have $0.001 par value.
2. Ranking. With respect to the payment of dividends and distribution of amounts of the Company’s net assets upon a dissolution, liquidation or winding up of the Company, the Series B Preferred ranks senior to the Common Stock and any other class or series of the Company’s stock over which the Series B Preferred has preference or priority in the payment of dividends or in the distribution of assets on liquidation, as the case may be, to which is referred to herein as “Junior Stock”, equally with any other class or series of Company stock that ranks on a par with the Series B Preferred in the payment of dividends or in the distribution of assets on liquidation, as the case may be, which is referred to herein as “Parity Stock,” and junior, in all matters expressly provided, to any class or series of Preferred Stock specifically ranking by its terms senior to the Series B Preferred in the payment of dividends or in the distribution of assets on liquidation, as the case may be, which is referred to herein as “Senior Stock”.
3. Dividends. From and after the date of issuance of any Preferred Shares (the “Initial Issuance Date”), each holder of a Preferred Share (each, a “Holder” and, collectively, the “Holders”) shall be entitled to receive, when, as and if declared by the Board of Directors of the Company, out of funds legally available for such purpose, dividends (“Dividends”) in cash at the rate of 12% of the Stated Value per annum on each of the Preferred Share, paid quarterly in arrears. Such dividends shall be cumulative and shall accrue without interest from the date of issuance of the respective share of Preferred Shares.
4. Voting Rights. Except as otherwise expressly required by law, each Holder shall be entitled to vote on all matters submitted to stockholders of the Company and shall be entitled to 55,000 votes for each Preferred Share owned at the record date for the determination of stockholders entitled to vote on such matter or, if no such record date is established, at the date such vote is taken or any written consent of stockholders is solicited. Except as otherwise required by law, the Holders shall vote together with the holders of Common Stock on all matters and shall not vote as a separate class.
5. Liquidation, Dissolution, Winding-Up. In the event of a Liquidation Event, following any required payments to holders of any shares of Senior Stock, the Holder shall be entitled to receive, for each Preferred Share, the Stated Value in cash out of the assets of the Company, whether from capital or from earnings available for distribution to its stockholders, which payment shall be made equally with any payments to be made to holders of any shares of Parity Stock, before any amount shall be paid to the holders of any of shares of Junior Stock.
6. Optional Redemption by Company. At any time after the Initial Issuance Date, the Company may offer to buy, and the Holder shall be required to sell, any Preferred Shares at the Stated Value, plus any accrued but unpaid dividends.
7. Optional Redemption by Holder. At any time after the one year anniversary of the Initial Issuance Date, the Holder may offer to sell, and the Company shall be required to buy, any Preferred Shares at one-half of the Stated Value, plus any accrued but unpaid dividends.
8. Conversion. The Preferred Shares are not convertible in to shares of Common Stock.
9. Non-transferable. Neither the Preferred Shares nor an rights, powers, preferences or privileges thereunder shall be transferable, in whole or in part, without the consent of the Company.
10. Lost or Stolen Certificates. Upon receipt by the Company of evidence reasonably satisfactory to the Company of the loss, theft, destruction or mutilation of any certificates representing Preferred Shares (as to which a written certification and the indemnification contemplated below shall suffice as such evidence), and, in the case of loss, theft or destruction, of an indemnification undertaking by the applicable Holder to the Company in customary and reasonable form and, in the case of mutilation, upon surrender and cancellation of the certificate(s), the Company shall execute and deliver new certificate(s) of like tenor and date.
11. Remedies, Characterizations, Other Obligations, Breaches and Injunctive Relief. The remedies provided in this Certificate of Designation shall be cumulative and in addition to all other remedies available under this Certificate of Designation and any other remedies as shall be available to the holder of Preferred Shares, at law or in equity (including a decree of specific performance and/or other injunctive relief), and no remedy contained herein shall be deemed a waiver of compliance with the provisions giving rise to such remedy. Nothing herein shall limit any Holder’s right to pursue actual and consequential damages for any failure by the Company to comply with the terms of this Certificate of Designation. The Company covenants to each Holder that there shall be no characterization concerning this instrument other than as expressly provided herein. Amounts set forth or provided for herein with respect to payments, conversion and the like (and the computation thereof) shall be the amounts to be received by a Holder and shall not, except as expressly provided herein, be subject to any other obligation of the Company (or the performance thereof). The Company acknowledges that a breach by it of its obligations hereunder will cause irreparable harm to the Holders and that the remedy at law for any such breach may be inadequate. The Company therefore agrees that, in the event of any such breach or threatened breach, each Holder shall be entitled, in addition to all other available remedies, to seek an injunction restraining any such breach or any such threatened breach, without the necessity of showing economic loss and without any bond or other security being required. The Company shall provide all information and documentation to a Holder that is reasonably requested by such Holder to enable such Holder to confirm the Company’s compliance with the terms and conditions of this Certificate of Designation.
12. Noncircumvention. The Company hereby covenants and agrees that the Company will not, by amendment of its Certificate of Incorporation, bylaws or through any reorganization, transfer of assets, consolidation, merger, scheme of arrangement, dissolution, issue or sale of securities, or any other voluntary action, avoid or seek to avoid the observance or performance of any of the terms of this Certificate of Designation, and will at all times in good faith carry out all of the provisions of this Certificate of Designation and take all action as may be required to protect the rights of the Holders.
13. Failure or Indulgence Not Waiver. No failure or delay on the part of a Holder in the exercise of any power, right or privilege hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof, nor shall any single or partial exercise of any such power, right or privilege preclude other or further exercise thereof or of any other right, power or privilege. No waiver shall be effective unless it is in writing and signed by an authorized representative of the waiving party. This Certificate of Designation shall be deemed to be jointly drafted by the Company and all Holders and shall not be construed against any Person as the drafter hereof.
14. Notices. The Company shall provide each Holder of Preferred Shares with prompt written notice of all actions taken pursuant to the terms of this Certificate of Designation, including in reasonable detail a description of such action and the reason therefor.
15. Preferred Shares Register. The Company shall maintain at its principal executive offices (or such other office or agency of the Company as it may designate and provide notice to the Holders thereof), a register for the Preferred Shares, in which the Company shall record the name, address and facsimile number of the Persons in whose name the Preferred Shares have been issued, as well as the name, address, facsimile number and tax identification number of each transferee. The Company may treat the Person in whose name any Preferred Shares is registered on the register as the owner and holder thereof for all purposes, notwithstanding any notice to the contrary, but in all events recognizing any properly made transfers.
16. Stockholder Matters; Amendment.
(a) Stockholder Matters. Any stockholder action, approval or consent required, desired or otherwise sought by the Company pursuant to the DGCL, the Certificate of Incorporation, this Certificate of Designation or otherwise with respect to the issuance of Preferred Shares may be effected by written consent of the Company’s stockholders or at a duly called meeting of the Company’s stockholders, all in accordance with the applicable rules and regulations of the DGCL. This provision is intended to comply with the applicable sections of the DGCL permitting stockholder action, approval and consent affected by written consent in lieu of a meeting.
(b) Amendment. This Certificate of Designation or any provision hereof may be amended by obtaining the affirmative vote at a meeting duly called for such purpose, or written consent without a meeting in accordance with the DGCL, of the Required Holders, voting separate as a single class, and with such other stockholder approval, if any, as may then be required pursuant to the DGCL and the Certificate of Incorporation.
17. Certain Defined Terms. For purposes of this Certificate of Designation, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(a) “Common Stock” means (i) the Company’s shares of common stock, par value $0.001 per share, and (ii) any capital stock into which such common stock shall have been changed or any share capital resulting from a reclassification of such common stock.
(b) “Liquidation Event” means, whether in a single transaction or series of transactions, the voluntary or involuntary liquidation, dissolution or winding-up of the Company or such subsidiaries the assets of which constitute all or substantially all of the assets of the business of the Company and its subsidiaries, taken as a whole.
(c) “Person” means an individual, a limited liability company, a partnership, a joint venture, a corporation, a trust, an unincorporated organization, any other entity or a government or any department or agency thereof.
(d) “Stated Value” shall mean $120 per share, subject to adjustment for stock splits, stock dividends, recapitalizations, reorganizations, reclassifications, combinations, subdivisions or other similar events occurring after the Initial Issuance Date with respect to the Preferred Shares.
(e) “Unpaid Dividend Amount” means, as of the applicable date of determination, with respect to each Preferred Share, all accrued and unpaid Dividends on such Preferred Share.
(a) The headings herein are for convenience only, do not constitute a part of this Certificate of Designation and shall not be deemed to limit or affect any of the provisions hereof.
(b) No provision of this Certificate of Designations may be amended, except in a written instrument signed by the Company and the holders of at least a majority of the outstanding Preferred Shares (the “Required Holders”). Any of the rights of the Holders set forth herein may be waived by the affirmative vote or by written consent of the Required Holders, except that each Holder may waive its own rights as provided in this Certificate of Designation. No waiver of any default with respect to any provision, condition or requirement of this Certificate of Designation shall be deemed to be a continuing waiver in the future or a waiver of any subsequent default or a waiver of any other provision, condition or requirement hereof, nor shall any delay or omission of either party to exercise any right hereunder in any manner impair the exercise of any such right.
* * * * *
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Corporation has caused this Certificate of Designation of 12% Series B Preferred Stock of MGT Capital Investments, Inc. to be signed by its Chief Executive Officer on this [___] day of January, 2019.
| ||MGT CAPITAL INVESTMENTS, INC.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| ||Name: || |
| ||Title: || |