Forms of Option Agreement, Stock Option Grant Notice and Notice of Exercise under the Metromile, Inc. Amended and Restated 2011 Equity Incentive Plan (included as Exhibit 10.18 to Legacy Metromiles Registration Statement on Form S-4/A, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on December 31, 2020)
2011 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT — EARLY EXERCISE
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the 2011 Equity Incentive Plan (the “Plan”) shall have the same defined meanings in this Stock Option Agreement – Early Exercise (the “Option Agreement”).
I. NOTICE OF STOCK OPTION GRANT
The undersigned Participant has been granted an Option to purchase Common Stock of the Company, subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Option Agreement, as follows:
Date of Grant:
Vesting Commencement Date:
Exercise Price per Share:
Total Number of Shares Granted:
Total Exercise Price:
Type of Option:
Incentive Stock Option
Nonstatutory Stock Option
This Option shall be exercisable, in whole or in part, according to the following vesting schedule:
Twenty-five percent (25%) of the Shares subject to the Option shall vest on the one (1) year anniversary of the Vesting Commencement Date, and one forty-eighth (1/48th) of the Shares subject to the Option shall vest each month thereafter on the same day of the month as the Vesting Commencement Date (and if there is no corresponding day, on the last day of the month), subject to Participant continuing to be a Service Provider through each such date.
This Option shall be exercisable for three (3) months after Participant ceases to be a Service Provider, unless such termination is due to Participant’s death or Disability, in which case this Option shall be exercisable for twelve (12) months after Participant ceases to be a Service Provider. Notwithstanding the foregoing sentence, in no event may this Option be exercised after the Term/Expiration Date as provided above and this Option may be subject to earlier termination as provided in Section 13 of the Plan.
1. Grant of Option. The Administrator of the Company hereby grants to the Participant named in the Notice of Stock Option Grant in Part I of this Agreement (“Participant”), an option (the “Option”) to purchase the number of Shares set forth in the Notice of Stock Option Grant, at the exercise price per Share set forth in the Notice of Stock Option Grant (the “Exercise Price”), and subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan, which is incorporated herein by reference. Subject to Section 18 of the Plan, in the event of a conflict between the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Option Agreement, the terms and conditions of the Plan shall prevail.
If designated in the Notice of Stock Option Grant as an Incentive Stock Option (“ISO”), this Option is intended to qualify as an Incentive Stock Option as defined in Section 422 of the Code. Nevertheless, to the extent that it exceeds the $100,000 rule of Code Section 422(d), this Option shall be treated as a Nonstatutory Stock Option (“NSO”). Further, if for any reason this Option (or portion thereof) shall not qualify as an ISO, then, to the extent of such nonqualification, such Option (or portion thereof) shall be regarded as a NSO granted under the Plan. In no event shall the Administrator, the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary or any of their respective employees or directors have any liability to Participant (or any other person) due to the failure of the Option to qualify for any reason as an ISO.
2. Exercise of Option. This Option shall be exercisable during its term in accordance with the provisions of Section 6 of the Plan as follows:
(a) Right to Exercise.
(i) Subject to subsections 2(a)(ii) and 2(a)(iii) below, this Option shall be exercisable cumulatively according to the vesting schedule set forth in the Notice of Stock Option Grant. Alternatively, at the election of Participant, this Option may be exercised in whole or in part at any time as to Shares that have not yet vested. Vested Shares shall not be subject to the Company’s repurchase right (as set forth in the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement, attached hereto as Exhibit C-1).
(ii) As a condition to exercising this Option for unvested Shares, Participant shall execute the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement.
(iii) This Option may not be exercised for a fraction of a Share.
(b) Method of Exercise. This Option shall be exercisable by delivery of an exercise notice in the form attached as Exhibit A (the “Exercise Notice”) or in a manner and pursuant to such procedures as the Administrator may determine, which shall state the election to exercise the Option, the number of Shares with respect to which the Option is being exercised (the “Exercised Shares”), and such other representations and agreements as may be required by the Company. The Exercise Notice shall be accompanied by payment of the aggregate Exercise Price as to all Exercised Shares, together with any applicable tax withholding, an executed joinder agreement to that certain Amended and Restated Voting Agreement, by and among the Company and certain stockholders dated April 16, 2013, as may be amended from time to time, in substantially the form attached hereto as Exhibit D, and, to the extent that the Participant holds at least 2% of the outstanding common stock of the Company, an executed joinder agreement to that certain Amended and Restated Right of First Refusal and Co-Sale Agreement, by and among the Company and certain stockholders dated April 16, 2013 and as may be amended from time to time, in substantially the form attached hereto as Exhibit E. This Option shall be deemed to be exercised upon receipt by the Company of such fully executed Exercise Notice accompanied by the aggregate Exercise Price, together with any applicable tax withholding.
No Shares shall be issued pursuant to the exercise of an Option unless such issuance and such exercise comply with Applicable Laws. Assuming such compliance, for income tax purposes the Shares shall be considered transferred to Participant on the date on which the Option is exercised with respect to such Shares.
3. Participant’s Representations. In the event the Shares have not been registered under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “Securities Act”), at the time this Option is exercised, Participant shall, if required by the Company, concurrently with the exercise of all or any portion of this Option, deliver to the Company his or her Investment Representation Statement in the form attached hereto as Exhibit B.
4. Lock-Up Period. Participant hereby agrees that Participant shall not offer, pledge, sell, contract to sell, sell any option or contract to purchase, purchase any option or contract to sell, grant any option, right or warrant to purchase, lend, or otherwise transfer or dispose of, directly or indirectly, any Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company or enter into any swap, hedging or other arrangement that transfers to another, in whole or in part, any of the economic consequences of ownership of any Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company held by Participant (other than those included in the registration) for a period specified by the representative of the underwriters of Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company not to exceed one hundred and eighty (180) days following the effective date of any registration statement of the Company filed under the Securities Act (or such other period as may be requested by the Company or the underwriters to accommodate regulatory restrictions on (i) the publication or other distribution of research reports and (ii) analyst recommendations and opinions, including, but not limited to, the restrictions contained in NASD Rule 2711(f)(4) or NYSE Rule 472(f)(4), or any successor provisions or amendments thereto).
Participant agrees to execute and deliver such other agreements as may be reasonably requested by the Company or the underwriter which are consistent with the foregoing or which are necessary to give further effect thereto. In addition, if requested by the Company or the representative of the underwriters of Common Stock (or other securities) of the Company, Participant shall provide, within ten (10) days of such request, such information as may be required by the Company or such representative in connection with the completion of any public offering of the Company’s securities pursuant to a registration statement filed under the Securities Act. The obligations described in this Section 4 shall not apply to a registration relating solely to employee benefit plans on Form S-1 or Form S-8 or similar forms that may be promulgated in the future, or a registration relating solely to a Commission Rule 145 transaction on Form S-4 or similar forms that may be promulgated in the future. The Company may impose stop-transfer instructions with respect to the shares of Common Stock (or other securities) subject to the foregoing restriction until the end of said one hundred and eighty (180) day (or other) period. Participant agrees that any transferee of the Option or shares acquired pursuant to the Option shall be bound by this Section 4.
5. Method of Payment. Payment of the aggregate Exercise Price shall be by any of the following, or a combination thereof, at the election of the Participant:
(c) consideration received by the Company under a formal cashless exercise program adopted by the Company in connection with the Plan; or
(d) surrender of other Shares which (i) shall be valued at its Fair Market Value on the date of exercise, and (ii) must be owned free and clear of any liens, claims, encumbrances or security interests, if accepting such Shares, in the sole discretion of the Administrator, shall not result in any adverse accounting consequences to the Company.
6. Restrictions on Exercise. This Option may not be exercised until such time as the Plan has been approved by the stockholders of the Company, or if the issuance of such Shares upon such exercise or the method of payment of consideration for such shares would constitute a violation of any Applicable Law.
7. Non-Transferability of Option.
(a) This Option may not be transferred in any manner otherwise than by will or by the laws of descent or distribution and may be exercised during the lifetime of Participant only by Participant. The terms of the Plan and this Option Agreement shall be binding upon the executors, administrators, heirs, successors and assigns of Participant.
(b) Further, until the Company becomes subject to the reporting requirements of Section 13 or 15(d) of the Exchange Act, or after the Administrator determines that it is, will, or may no longer be relying upon the exemption from registration of Options under the Exchange Act as set forth in Rule 12h-1(f) promulgated under the Exchange Act (the “Reliance End Date”), Participant shall not transfer this Option or, prior to exercise, the Shares subject to this Option, in any manner other than (i) to persons who are “family members” (as defined in Rule 701(c)(3) of the Securities Act) through gifts or domestic relations orders, or (ii) to an executor or guardian of Participant upon the death or disability of Participant. Until the Reliance End Date, the Options and, prior to exercise, the Shares subject to this Option, may not be pledged, hypothecated or otherwise transferred or disposed of, including by entering into any short position, any “put equivalent position” or any “call equivalent position” (as defined in Rule 16a-1(h) and Rule 16a-1(b) of the Exchange Act, respectively), other than as permitted in clauses (i) and (ii) of this paragraph.
8. Term of Option. This Option may be exercised only within the term set out in the Notice of Stock Option Grant, and may be exercised during such term only in accordance with the Plan and the terms of this Option Agreement.
9. Tax Obligations.
(a) Tax Withholding. Participant agrees to make appropriate arrangements with the Company (or the Parent or Subsidiary employing or retaining Participant) for the satisfaction of all Federal, state, local and foreign income and employment tax withholding requirements applicable to the Option exercise. Participant acknowledges and agrees that the Company may refuse to honor the exercise and refuse to deliver the Shares if such withholding amounts are not delivered at the time of exercise.
(b) Notice of Disqualifying Disposition of ISO Shares. If the Option granted to Participant herein is an ISO, and if Participant sells or otherwise disposes of any of the Shares acquired pursuant to the ISO on or before the later of (i) the date two (2) years after the Date of Grant, or (ii) the date one (1) year after the date of exercise, Participant shall immediately notify the Company in writing of such disposition. Participant agrees that Participant may be subject to income tax withholding by the Company on the compensation income recognized by Participant.
(c) Code Section 409A. Under Code Section 409A, an Option that vests after December 31, 2004 (or that vested on or prior to such date but which was materially modified after October 3, 2004) that was granted with a per Share exercise price that is determined by the Internal Revenue Service (the “IRS”) to be less than the Fair Market Value of a Share on the date of grant (a “discount option”) may be considered “deferred compensation.” An Option that is a “discount option” may result in (i) income recognition by Participant prior to the exercise of the Option, (ii) an additional twenty percent (20%) federal income tax, and (iii) potential penalty and interest charges. The “discount option” may also result in additional state income, penalty and interest tax to the Participant. Participant acknowledges that the Company cannot and has not guaranteed that the IRS will agree that the per Share exercise price of this Option equals or exceeds the Fair Market Value of a Share on the date of grant in a later examination. Participant agrees that if the IRS determines that the Option was granted with a per Share exercise price that was less than the Fair Market Value of a Share on the date of grant, Participant shall be solely responsible for Participant’s costs related to such a determination.
10. Entire Agreement; Governing Law. The Plan is incorporated herein by reference. The Plan and this Option Agreement constitute the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Participant with respect to the subject matter hereof, and may not be modified adversely to the Participant’s interest except by means of a writing signed by the Company and Participant. This Option Agreement is governed by the internal substantive laws but not the choice of law rules of California.
11. No Guarantee of Continued Service. PARTICIPANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE VESTING OF SHARES PURSUANT TO THE VESTING SCHEDULE HEREOF IS EARNED ONLY BY CONTINUING AS A SERVICE PROVIDER AT THE WILL OF THE COMPANY (OR THE PARENT OR SUBSIDIARY EMPLOYING OR RETAINING PARTICIPANT) AND NOT THROUGH THE ACT OF BEING HIRED, BEING GRANTED THIS OPTION OR ACQUIRING SHARES HEREUNDER. PARTICIPANT FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THIS AGREEMENT, THE TRANSACTIONS CONTEMPLATED HEREUNDER AND THE VESTING SCHEDULE SET FORTH HEREIN DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED PROMISE OF CONTINUED ENGAGEMENT AS A SERVICE PROVIDER FOR THE VESTING PERIOD, FOR ANY PERIOD, OR AT ALL, AND SHALL NOT INTERFERE IN ANY WAY WITH PARTICIPANT’S RIGHT OR THE RIGHT OF THE COMPANY (OR THE PARENT OR SUBSIDIARY EMPLOYING OR RETAINING PARTICIPANT) TO TERMINATE PARTICIPANT’S RELATIONSHIP AS A SERVICE PROVIDER AT ANY TIME, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE.
Participant acknowledges receipt of a copy of the Plan and represents that he or she is familiar with the terms and provisions thereof, and hereby accepts this Option subject to all of the terms and provisions thereof. Participant has reviewed the Plan and this Option in their entirety, has had an opportunity to obtain the advice of counsel prior to executing this Option and fully understands all provisions of the Option. Participant hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Administrator upon any questions arising under the Plan or this Option. Participant further agrees to notify the Company upon any change in the residence address indicated below.
Dan R. Preston
Chief Executive Officer
2011 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
690 Folsom St, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94107
Attention: Chief Financial Officer
1. Exercise of Option. Effective as of today, ________________, ____, the undersigned (“Participant”) hereby elects to exercise Participant’s option (the “Option”) to purchase ________________ shares of the Common Stock (the “Shares”) of MetroMile, Inc. (the “Company”) under and pursuant to the 2011 Equity Incentive Plan (the “Plan”) and the Stock Option Agreement – Early Exercise dated ________(the “Option Agreement”).
2. Delivery of Payment. Participant herewith delivers to the Company the full purchase price of the Shares, as set forth in the Option Agreement, and any and all withholding taxes due in connection with the exercise of the Option.
3. Representations of Participant. Participant acknowledges that Participant has received, read and understood the Plan and the Option Agreement and agrees to abide by and be bound by their terms and conditions.
4. Rights as Stockholder. Until the issuance of the Shares (as evidenced by the appropriate entry on the books of the Company or of a duly authorized transfer agent of the Company), no right to vote or receive dividends or any other rights as a stockholder shall exist with respect to the Common Stock subject to an Award, notwithstanding the exercise of the Option. The Shares shall be issued to Participant as soon as practicable after the Option is exercised in accordance with the Option Agreement. No adjustment shall be made for a dividend or other right for which the record date is prior to the date of issuance except as provided in Section 13 of the Plan.
5. Company’s Right of First Refusal. Before any Shares held by Participant or any transferee (either being sometimes referred to herein as the “Holder”) may be sold or otherwise transferred (including transfer by gift or operation of law), the Company or its assignee(s) shall have a right of first refusal to purchase the Shares on the terms and conditions set forth in this Section 5 (the “Right of First Refusal”).
(a) Notice of Proposed Transfer. The Holder of the Shares shall deliver to the Company a written notice (the “Notice”) stating: (i) the Holder’s bona fide intention to sell or otherwise transfer such Shares; (ii) the name of each proposed purchaser or other transferee (“Proposed Transferee”); (iii) the number of Shares to be transferred to each Proposed Transferee; and (iv) the bona fide cash price or other consideration for which the Holder proposes to transfer the Shares (the “Offered Price”), and the Holder shall offer the Shares at the Offered Price to the Company or its assignee(s).
(b) Exercise of Right of First Refusal. At any time within thirty (30) days after receipt of the Notice, the Company and/or its assignee(s) may, by giving written notice to the Holder, elect to purchase all, but not less than all, of the Shares proposed to be transferred to any one or more of the Proposed Transferees, at the purchase price determined in accordance with subsection (c) below.
(c) Purchase Price. The purchase price (“Purchase Price”) for the Shares purchased by the Company or its assignee(s) under this Section 5 shall be the Offered Price. If the Offered Price includes consideration other than cash, the cash equivalent value of the non-cash consideration shall be determined by the Board of Directors of the Company in good faith.
(d) Payment. Payment of the Purchase Price shall be made, at the option of the Company or its assignee(s), in cash (by check), by cancellation of all or a portion of any outstanding indebtedness of the Holder to the Company (or, in the case of repurchase by an assignee, to the assignee), or by any combination thereof within thirty (30) days after receipt of the Notice or in the manner and at the times set forth in the Notice.
(e) Holder’s Right to Transfer. If all of the Shares proposed in the Notice to be transferred to a given Proposed Transferee are not purchased by the Company and/or its assignee(s) as provided in this Section 5, then the Holder may sell or otherwise transfer such Shares to that Proposed Transferee at the Offered Price or at a higher price, provided that such sale or other transfer is consummated within one hundred and twenty (120) days after the date of the Notice, that any such sale or other transfer is effected in accordance with any applicable securities laws and that the Proposed Transferee agrees in writing that the provisions of this Section 5 shall continue to apply to the Shares in the hands of such Proposed Transferee. If the Shares described in the Notice are not transferred to the Proposed Transferee within such period, a new Notice shall be given to the Company, and the Company and/or its assignees shall again be offered the Right of First Refusal before any Shares held by the Holder may be sold or otherwise transferred.
(f) Exception for Certain Family Transfers. Anything to the contrary contained in this Section 5 notwithstanding, the transfer of any or all of the Shares during the Participant’s lifetime or on the Participant’s death by will or intestacy to the Participant’s immediate family or a trust for the benefit of the Participant’s immediate family shall be exempt from the provisions of this Section 5. “Immediate Family” as used herein shall mean spouse, lineal descendant or antecedent, father, mother, brother or sister. In such case, the transferee or other recipient shall receive and hold the Shares so transferred subject to the provisions of this Section 5, and there shall be no further transfer of such Shares except in accordance with the terms of this Section 5.
(g) Termination of Right of First Refusal. The Right of First Refusal shall terminate as to any Shares upon the earlier of (i) the first sale of Common Stock of the Company to the general public, or (ii) a Change in Control in which the successor corporation has equity securities that are publicly traded.
6. Tax Consultation. Participant understands that Participant may suffer adverse tax consequences as a result of Participant’s purchase or disposition of the Shares. Participant represents that Participant has consulted with any tax consultants Participant deems advisable in connection with the purchase or disposition of the Shares and that Participant is not relying on the Company for any tax advice.
7. Restrictive Legends and Stop-Transfer Orders.
(a) Legends. Participant understands and agrees that the Company shall cause the legends set forth below or legends substantially equivalent thereto, to be placed upon any certificate(s) evidencing ownership of the Shares together with any other legends that may be required by the Company or by state or federal securities laws:
THE SECURITIES REPRESENTED HEREBY HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933 (THE “ACT”) AND MAY NOT BE OFFERED, SOLD OR OTHERWISE TRANSFERRED, PLEDGED OR HYPOTHECATED UNLESS AND UNTIL REGISTERED UNDER THE ACT OR, IN THE OPINION OF COUNSEL SATISFACTORY TO THE ISSUER OF THESE SECURITIES, SUCH OFFER, SALE OR TRANSFER, PLEDGE OR HYPOTHECATION IS IN COMPLIANCE THEREWITH.
THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS ON TRANSFER AND A RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL HELD BY THE ISSUER OR ITS ASSIGNEE(S) AS SET FORTH IN THE EXERCISE NOTICE BETWEEN THE ISSUER AND THE ORIGINAL HOLDER OF THESE SHARES, A COPY OF WHICH MAY BE OBTAINED AT THE PRINCIPAL OFFICE OF THE ISSUER. SUCH TRANSFER RESTRICTIONS AND RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL ARE BINDING ON TRANSFEREES OF THESE SHARES.
THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO RESTRICTIONS ON TRANSFER FOR A PERIOD OF TIME FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE UNDERWRITTEN PUBLIC OFFERING OF THE COMPANY’S SECURITIES SET FORTH IN AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE ISSUER AND THE ORIGINAL HOLDER OF THESE SHARES AND MAY NOT BE SOLD OR OTHERWISE DISPOSED OF BY THE HOLDER PRIOR TO THE EXPIRATION OF SUCH PERIOD WITHOUT THE CONSENT OF THE COMPANY OR THE MANAGING UNDERWRITER.
(b) Stop-Transfer Notices. Participant agrees that, in order to ensure compliance with the restrictions referred to herein, the Company may issue appropriate “stop transfer” instructions to its transfer agent, if any, and that, if the Company transfers its own securities, it may make appropriate notations to the same effect in its own records.
(c) Refusal to Transfer. The Company shall not be required (i) to transfer on its books any Shares that have been sold or otherwise transferred in violation of any of the provisions of this Exercise Notice or (ii) to treat as owner of such Shares or to accord the right to vote or pay dividends to any purchaser or other transferee to whom such Shares shall have been so transferred.
8. Successors and Assigns. The Company may assign any of its rights under this Exercise Notice to single or multiple assignees, and this Exercise Notice shall inure to the benefit of the successors and assigns of the Company. Subject to the restrictions on transfer herein set forth, this Exercise Notice shall be binding upon Participant and his or her heirs, executors, administrators, successors and assigns.
9. Interpretation. Any dispute regarding the interpretation of this Exercise Notice shall be submitted by Participant or by the Company forthwith to the Administrator, which shall review such dispute at its next regular meeting. The resolution of such a dispute by the Administrator shall be final and binding on all parties.
10. Governing Law; Severability. This Exercise Notice is governed by the internal substantive laws, but not the choice of law rules, of California. In the event that any provision hereof becomes or is declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, unenforceable or void, this Exercise Notice shall continue in full force and effect.
11. Entire Agreement. The Plan and Option Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. This Exercise Notice, the Plan, the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement, the Option Agreement and the Investment Representation Statement constitute the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Participant with respect to the subject matter hereof, and may not be modified adversely to the Participant’s interest except by means of a writing signed by the Company and Participant.
INVESTMENT REPRESENTATION STATEMENT
In connection with the purchase of the above-listed Securities, the undersigned Participant represents to the Company the following:
(a) Participant is aware of the Company’s business affairs and financial condition and has acquired sufficient information about the Company to reach an informed and knowledgeable decision to acquire the Securities. Participant is acquiring these Securities for investment for Participant’s own account only and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, any “distribution” thereof within the meaning of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “Securities Act”).
(b) Participant acknowledges and understands that the Securities constitute “restricted securities” under the Securities Act and have not been registered under the Securities Act in reliance upon a specific exemption therefrom, which exemption depends upon, among other things, the bona fide nature of Participant’s investment intent as expressed herein. In this connection, Participant understands that, in the view of the Securities and Exchange Commission, the statutory basis for such exemption may be unavailable if Participant’s representation was predicated solely upon a present intention to hold these Securities for the minimum capital gains period specified under tax statutes, for a deferred sale, for or until an increase or decrease in the market price of the Securities, or for a period of one (1) year or any other fixed period in the future. Participant further understands that the Securities must be held indefinitely unless they are subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available. Participant further acknowledges and understands that the Company is under no obligation to register the Securities. Participant understands that the certificate evidencing the Securities shall be imprinted with any legend required under applicable state securities laws.
(c) Participant is familiar with the provisions of Rule 701 and Rule 144, each promulgated under the Securities Act, which, in substance, permit limited public resale of “restricted securities” acquired, directly or indirectly from the issuer thereof, in a non-public offering subject to the satisfaction of certain conditions. Rule 701 provides that if the issuer qualifies under Rule 701 at the time of the grant of the Option to Participant, the exercise shall be exempt from registration under the Securities Act. In the event the Company becomes subject to the reporting requirements of Section 13 or 15(d) of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, ninety (90) days thereafter (or such longer period as any market stand-off agreement may require) the Securities exempt under Rule 701 may be resold, subject to the satisfaction of the applicable conditions specified by Rule 144, including in the case of affiliates (1) the availability of certain public information about the Company, (2) the amount of Securities being sold during any three (3) month period not exceeding specified limitations, (3) the resale being made in an unsolicited “broker’s transaction”, transactions directly with a “market maker” or “riskless principal transactions” (as those terms are defined under the Securities Exchange Act of 1934) and (4) the timely filing of a Form 144, if applicable.
In the event that the Company does not qualify under Rule 701 at the time of grant of the Option, then the Securities may be resold in certain limited circumstances subject to the provisions of Rule 144, which may require (i) the availability of current public information about the Company; (ii) the resale to occur more than a specified period after the purchase and full payment (within the meaning of Rule 144) for the Securities; and (iii) in the case of the sale of Securities by an affiliate, the satisfaction of the conditions set forth in sections (2), (3) and (4) of the paragraph immediately above.
(d) Participant further understands that in the event all of the applicable requirements of Rule 701 or 144 are not satisfied, registration under the Securities Act, compliance with Regulation A, or some other registration exemption shall be required; and that, notwithstanding the fact that Rules 144 and 701 are not exclusive, the Staff of the Securities and Exchange Commission has expressed its opinion that persons proposing to sell private placement securities other than in a registered offering and otherwise than pursuant to Rules 144 or 701 shall have a substantial burden of proof in establishing that an exemption from registration is available for such offers or sales, and that such persons and their respective brokers who participate in such transactions do so at their own risk. Participant understands that no assurances can be given that any such other registration exemption shall be available in such event.
2011 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
RESTRICTED STOCK PURCHASE AGREEMENT
THIS RESTRICTED STOCK PURCHASE AGREEMENT (the “Agreement”) is made between ______________ (the “Purchaser”) and MetroMile, Inc. (the “Company”) or its assignees of rights hereunder as of __________________, ____.
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the 2011 Equity Incentive Plan shall have the same defined meanings in this Agreement.
A. Pursuant to the exercise of the option granted to Purchaser under the Plan and pursuant to the Stock Option Agreement – Early Exercise (the “Option Agreement”) dated __________ by and between the Company and Purchaser with respect to such grant (the “Option”), which Plan and Option Agreement are hereby incorporated by reference, Purchaser has elected to purchase _________ of those shares of Common Stock which have not become vested under the vesting schedule set forth in the Option Agreement (“Unvested Shares”). The Unvested Shares and the shares subject to the Option Agreement, which have become vested are sometimes collectively referred to herein as the “Shares.”
B. As required by the Option Agreement, as a condition to Purchaser’s election to exercise the option, Purchaser must execute this Agreement, which sets forth the rights and obligations of the parties with respect to Shares acquired upon exercise of the Option.
1. Repurchase Option.
(a) If Purchaser’s status as a Service Provider is terminated for any reason, including for death and Disability, the Company shall have the right and option for ninety (90) days from such date to purchase from Purchaser, or Purchaser’s personal representative, as the case may be, all of the Purchaser’s Unvested Shares as of the date of such termination at the price paid by the Purchaser for such Shares (the “Repurchase Option”).
(b) Upon the occurrence of such termination, the Company may exercise its Repurchase Option by delivering personally or by registered mail, to Purchaser (or his or her transferee or legal representative, as the case may be) with a copy to the escrow agent described in Section 2 below, a notice in writing indicating the Company’s intention to exercise the Repurchase Option AND, at the Company’s option, (i) by delivering to the Purchaser (or the Purchaser’s transferee or legal representative) a check in the amount of the aggregate repurchase price, or (ii) by the Company canceling an amount of the Purchaser’s indebtedness to the Company equal to the aggregate repurchase price, or (iii) by a combination of (i) and (ii) so that the combined payment and cancellation of indebtedness equals such aggregate repurchase price. Upon delivery of such notice and payment of the aggregate repurchase price in any of the ways described above, the Company shall become the legal and beneficial owner of the Unvested Shares being repurchased and the rights and interests therein or relating thereto, and the Company shall have the right to retain and transfer to its own name the number of Unvested Shares being repurchased by the Company.
(c) Whenever the Company shall have the right to repurchase Unvested Shares hereunder, the Company may designate and assign one or more employees, officers, directors or stockholders of the Company or other persons or organizations to exercise all or a part of the Company’s Repurchase Option under this Agreement and purchase all or a part of such Unvested Shares.
(d) If the Company does not elect to exercise the Repurchase Option conferred above by giving the requisite notice within ninety (90) days following the termination, the Repurchase Option shall terminate.
(e) The Repurchase Option shall terminate in accordance with the vesting schedule contained in Purchaser’s Option Agreement.
2. Transferability of the Shares; Escrow.
(a) Purchaser hereby authorizes and directs the Secretary of the Company, or such other person designated by the Company, to transfer the Unvested Shares as to which the Repurchase Option has been exercised from Purchaser to the Company.
(b) To insure the availability for delivery of Purchaser’s Unvested Shares upon repurchase by the Company pursuant to the Repurchase Option under Section 1, Purchaser hereby appoints the Secretary, or any other person designated by the Company as escrow agent (the “Escrow Agent”), as its attorney-in-fact to sell, assign and transfer unto the Company, such Unvested Shares, if any, repurchased by the Company pursuant to the Repurchase Option and shall, upon execution of this Agreement, deliver and deposit with the Escrow Agent, the share certificates representing the Unvested Shares, together with the stock assignment duly endorsed in blank, attached hereto as Exhibit C-2. The Unvested Shares and stock assignment shall be held by the Escrow Agent in escrow, pursuant to the Joint Escrow Instructions of the Company and Purchaser attached as Exhibit C-3 hereto, until the Company exercises its Repurchase Option, until such Unvested Shares are vested, or until such time as this Agreement no longer is in effect. Upon vesting of the Unvested Shares, the Escrow Agent shall promptly deliver to the Purchaser the certificate or certificates representing such Shares in the Escrow Agent’s possession belonging to the Purchaser, and the Escrow Agent shall be discharged of all further obligations hereunder; provided, however, that the Escrow Agent shall nevertheless retain such certificate or certificates as Escrow Agent if so required pursuant to other restrictions imposed pursuant to this Agreement.
(c) Neither the Company nor the Escrow Agent shall be liable for any act it may do or omit to do with respect to holding the Shares in escrow and while acting in good faith and in the exercise of its judgment.
(d) Transfer or sale of the Shares is subject to restrictions on transfer imposed by any applicable state and federal securities laws. Any transferee shall hold such Shares subject to all the provisions hereof and the Exercise Notice executed by the Purchaser with respect to any Unvested Shares purchased by Purchaser and shall acknowledge the same by signing a copy of this Agreement.
3. Ownership, Voting Rights, Duties. This Agreement shall not affect in any way the ownership, voting rights or other rights or duties of Purchaser, except as specifically provided herein.
4. Legends. The share certificate evidencing the Shares issued hereunder shall be endorsed with the following legend (in addition to any legend required under applicable federal and state securities laws):
THE SHARES REPRESENTED BY THIS CERTIFICATE ARE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN RESTRICTIONS UPON TRANSFER AND RIGHTS OF REPURCHASE AS SET FORTH IN AN AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE COMPANY AND THE STOCKHOLDER, A COPY OF WHICH IS ON FILE WITH THE SECRETARY OF THE COMPANY.
5. Adjustment for Stock Split. All references to the number of Shares and the purchase price of the Shares in this Agreement shall be appropriately adjusted to reflect any stock split, stock dividend or other change in the Shares, which may be made by the Company pursuant to Section 13 of the Plan after the date of this Agreement.
6. Notices. Notices required hereunder shall be given in person or by registered mail to the address of Purchaser shown on the records of the Company, and to the Company at their respective principal executive offices.
7. Survival of Terms. This Agreement shall apply to and bind Purchaser and the Company and their respective permitted assignees and transferees, heirs, legatees, executors, administrators and legal successors.
8. Section 83(b) Election. Purchaser hereby acknowledges that he or she has been informed that, with respect to the exercise of an Option for Unvested Shares, an election (the “Election”) may be filed by the Purchaser with the Internal Revenue Service, within thirty (30) days of the purchase of the exercised Shares, electing pursuant to Section 83(b) of the Code to be taxed currently on any difference between the purchase price of the exercised Shares and their Fair Market Value on the date of purchase. In the case of a Nonstatutory Stock Option, this will result in the recognition of taxable income to the Purchaser on the date of exercise, measured by the excess, if any, of the Fair Market Value of the exercised Shares, at the time the Option is exercised over the purchase price for the exercised Shares. Absent such an Election, taxable income will be measured and recognized by Purchaser at the time or times on which the Company’s Repurchase Option lapses. In the case of an Incentive Stock Option, such an Election will result in a recognition of income to the Purchaser for alternative minimum tax purposes on the date of exercise, measured by the excess, if any, of the Fair Market Value of the exercised Shares, at the time the option is exercised, over the purchase price for the exercised Shares. Absent such an Election, alternative minimum taxable income will be measured and recognized by Purchaser at the time or times on which the Company’s Repurchase Option lapses.
This discussion is intended only as a summary of the general United States income tax laws that apply to exercising Options as to Shares that have not yet vested and is accurate only as of the date this form Agreement was approved by the Board. The federal, state and local tax consequences to any particular taxpayer will depend upon his or her individual circumstances. Purchaser is strongly encouraged to seek the advice of his or her own tax consultants in connection with the purchase of the Shares and the advisability of filing of the Election under Section 83(b) of the Code. A form of Election under Section 83(b) is attached hereto as Exhibit C-4 for reference.
PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT IT IS PURCHASER’S SOLE RESPONSIBILITY AND NOT THE COMPANY’S TO FILE TIMELY THE ELECTION UNDER SECTION 83(b) OF THE CODE, EVEN IF PURCHASER REQUESTS THE COMPANY OR ITS REPRESENTATIVE TO MAKE THIS FILING ON PURCHASER’S BEHALF.
9. Representations. Purchaser has reviewed with his or her own tax advisors the federal, state, local and foreign tax consequences of this investment and the transactions contemplated by this Agreement. Purchaser is relying solely on such advisors and not on any statements or representations of the Company or any of its agents. Purchaser understands that he or she (and not the Company) shall be responsible for his or her own tax liability that may arise as a result of this investment or the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
10. Entire Agreement; Governing Law. The Plan and Option Agreement are incorporated herein by reference. The Plan, the Option Agreement, the Exercise Notice, this Agreement, and the Investment Representation Statement constitute the entire agreement of the parties with respect to the subject matter hereof and supersede in their entirety all prior undertakings and agreements of the Company and Purchaser with respect to the subject matter hereof, and may not be modified adversely to the Purchaser’s interest except by means of a writing signed by the Company and Purchaser. This Agreement is governed by the internal substantive laws but not the choice of law rules of California.
Purchaser represents that he or she has read this Agreement and is familiar with its terms and provisions. Purchaser hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Board upon any questions arising under this Agreement.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, this Agreement is deemed made as of the date first set forth above.
ASSIGNMENT SEPARATE FROM CERTIFICATE
FOR VALUE RECEIVED I, __________, hereby sell, assign and transfer unto MetroMile, Inc. _____________ shares of the Common Stock of MetroMile, Inc. standing in my name of the books of said corporation represented by Certificate No. _____ herewith and do hereby irrevocably constitute and appoint __________________________ to transfer the said stock on the books of the within named corporation with full power of substitution in the premises.
This Stock Assignment may be used only in accordance with the Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement between MetroMile, Inc. and the undersigned dated ______________, _____ (the “Agreement”).
INSTRUCTIONS: Please do not fill in any blanks other than the signature line. The purpose of this assignment is to enable the Company to exercise its “repurchase option,” as set forth in the Agreement, without requiring additional signatures on the part of the Purchaser.
JOINT ESCROW INSTRUCTIONS
690 Folsom St, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94107
Dear Corporate Secretary:
As Escrow Agent for both MetroMile, Inc. (the “Company”), and the undersigned purchaser of stock of the Company (the “Purchaser”), you are hereby authorized and directed to hold the documents delivered to you pursuant to the terms of that certain Restricted Stock Purchase Agreement (the “Agreement”) between the Company and the undersigned, in accordance with the following instructions:
1. In the event the Company and/or any assignee of the Company (referred to collectively for convenience herein as the “Company”) exercises the Company’s repurchase option set forth in the Agreement, the Company shall give to Purchaser and you a written notice specifying the number of shares of stock to be purchased, the purchase price, and the time for a closing hereunder at the principal office of the Company. Purchaser and the Company hereby irrevocably authorize and direct you to close the transaction contemplated by such notice in accordance with the terms of said notice.
2. At the closing, you are directed (a) to date the stock assignments necessary for the transfer in question, (b) to fill in the number of shares being transferred, and (c) to deliver the stock assignments, together with the certificate evidencing the shares of stock to be transferred, to the Company or its assignee, against the simultaneous delivery to you of the purchase price (by cash, a check, or some combination thereof) for the number of shares of stock being purchased pursuant to the exercise of the Company’s repurchase option.
3. Purchaser irrevocably authorizes the Company to deposit with you any certificates evidencing shares of stock to be held by you hereunder and any additions and substitutions to said shares as defined in the Agreement. Purchaser does hereby irrevocably constitute and appoint you as Purchaser’s attorney-in-fact and agent for the term of this escrow to execute with respect to such securities all documents necessary or appropriate to make such securities negotiable and to complete any transaction herein contemplated, including but not limited to the filing with any applicable state blue sky authority of any required applications for consent to, or notice of transfer of, the securities. Subject to the provisions of this paragraph 3, Purchaser shall exercise all rights and privileges of a stockholder of the Company while the stock is held by you.
4. Upon written request of the Purchaser, but no more than once per calendar year, unless the Company’s repurchase option has been exercised, you shall deliver to Purchaser a certificate or certificates representing so many shares of stock as are not then subject to the Company’s repurchase option. Within one hundred and twenty (120) days after cessation of Purchaser’s continuous employment by or services to the Company, or any parent or subsidiary of the Company, you shall deliver to Purchaser a certificate or certificates representing the aggregate number of shares held or issued pursuant to the Agreement and not purchased by the Company or its assignees pursuant to exercise of the Company’s repurchase option.
5. If at the time of termination of this escrow you should have in your possession any documents, securities, or other property belonging to Purchaser, you shall deliver all of the same to Purchaser and shall be discharged of all further obligations hereunder.
6. Your duties hereunder may be altered, amended, modified or revoked only by a writing signed by all of the parties hereto.
7. You shall be obligated only for the performance of such duties as are specifically set forth herein and may rely and shall be protected in relying or refraining from acting on any instrument reasonably believed by you to be genuine and to have been signed or presented by the proper party or parties. You shall not be personally liable for any act you may do or omit to do hereunder as Escrow Agent or as attorney-in-fact for Purchaser while acting in good faith, and any act done or omitted by you pursuant to the advice of your own attorneys shall be conclusive evidence of such good faith.
8. You are hereby expressly authorized to disregard any and all warnings given by any of the parties hereto or by any other person or corporation, excepting only orders or process of courts of law and are hereby expressly authorized to comply with and obey orders, judgments or decrees of any court. In case you obey or comply with any such order, judgment or decree, you shall not be liable to any of the parties hereto or to any other person, firm or corporation by reason of such compliance, notwithstanding any such order, judgment or decree being subsequently reversed, modified, annulled, set aside, vacated or found to have been entered without jurisdiction.
9. You shall not be liable in any respect on account of the identity, authorities or rights of the parties executing or delivering or purporting to execute or deliver the Agreement or any documents or papers deposited or called for hereunder.
10. You shall not be liable for the outlawing of any rights under the Statute of Limitations with respect to these Joint Escrow Instructions or any documents deposited with you.
11. You shall be entitled to employ such legal counsel and other experts as you may deem necessary properly to advise you in connection with your obligations hereunder, may rely upon the advice of such counsel, and may pay such counsel reasonable compensation therefor.
12. Your responsibilities as Escrow Agent hereunder shall terminate if you shall cease to be an officer or agent of the Company or if you shall resign by written notice to each party. In the event of any such termination, the Company shall appoint a successor Escrow Agent.
13. If you reasonably require other or further instruments in connection with these Joint Escrow Instructions or obligations in respect hereto, the necessary parties hereto shall join in furnishing such instruments.
14. It is understood and agreed that should any dispute arise with respect to the delivery and/or ownership or right of possession of the securities held by you hereunder, you are authorized and directed to retain in your possession without liability to anyone all or any part of said securities until such disputes shall have been settled either by mutual written agreement of the parties concerned or by a final order, decree or judgment of a court of competent jurisdiction after the time for appeal has expired and no appeal has been perfected, but you shall be under no duty whatsoever to institute or defend any such proceedings.
15. Any notice required or permitted hereunder shall be given in writing and shall be deemed effectively given upon personal delivery or upon deposit in the United States Post Office, by registered or certified mail with postage and fees prepaid, addressed to each of the other parties thereunto entitled at the following addresses or at such other addresses as a party may designate by ten (10) days’ advance written notice to each of the other parties hereto.
16. By signing these Joint Escrow Instructions, you become a party hereto only for the purpose of said Joint Escrow Instructions; you do not become a party to the Agreement.
17. This instrument shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the parties hereto, and their respective successors and permitted assigns.
18. These Joint Escrow Instructions shall be governed by the internal substantive laws, but not the choice of law rules, of California.
ELECTION UNDER SECTION 83(b)
OF THE INTERNAL REVENUE CODE OF 1986
The undersigned taxpayer hereby elects, pursuant to Sections 55 and 83(b) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, to include in taxpayer’s gross income or alternative minimum taxable income, as the case may be, for the current taxable year the amount of any compensation taxable to taxpayer in connection with taxpayer’s receipt of the property described below.
The name, address, taxpayer identification number and taxable year of the undersigned are as follows:
TAX ID NO.:
The property with respect to which the election is made is described as follows: __________ shares (the “Shares”) of the Common Stock of MetroMile, Inc. (the “Company”).
The date on which the property was transferred is:___________________ ,______.
The property is subject to the following restrictions:
The Shares may not be transferred and are subject to forfeiture under the terms of an agreement between the taxpayer and the Company. These restrictions lapse upon the satisfaction of certain conditions contained in such agreement.
The Fair Market Value at the time of transfer, determined without regard to any restriction other than a restriction which by its terms shall never lapse, of such property is: $_________________.
The amount (if any) paid for such property is: $_________________.
The undersigned has submitted a copy of this statement to the person for whom the services were performed in connection with the undersigned’s receipt of the above-described property. The transferee of such property is the person performing the services in connection with the transfer of said property.
The undersigned understands that the foregoing election may not be revoked except with the consent of the Commissioner.
Dated: ______________________, _____
The undersigned spouse of taxpayer joins in this election.
Dated: ______________________, _____
Spouse of Taxpayer
AMENDED AND RESTATED VOTING AGREEMENT
By executing this counterpart signature page, the undersigned hereby becomes a Common Holder (as defined in the Voting Agreement) under that certain Amended and Restated Voting Agreement dated as of April 16, 2013, as may be amended from time to time, by and among MetroMile, Inc. and certain of its stockholders (the “Voting Agreement”). The undersigned acknowledges that s/he has received and reviewed a copy of the Voting Agreement.
For all purposes under the Voting Agreement, the execution and delivery of this Joinder Agreement by the undersigned shall constitute the execution and delivery of a counterpart signature page to the Voting Agreement, and the undersigned shall have all rights and be subject to the obligations thereunder effective as of the date hereof.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Voting Agreement has been executed by the undersigned as of the date set forth below.
AMENDED AND RESTATED RIGHT OF FIRST REFUSAL AND CO-SALE AGREEMENT
By executing this counterpart signature page, the undersigned hereby becomes a Common Holder (as defined in the ROFR Agreement) under that certain Amended and Restated Right of First Refusal and Co-Sale Agreement dated as of April 16, 2013, as may be amended from time to time, by and among MetroMile, Inc. and certain of its stockholders (the “ROFR Agreement”). The undersigned acknowledges that s/he has received and reviewed a copy of the ROFR Agreement.
For all purposes under the ROFR Agreement, the execution and delivery of this Joinder Agreement by the undersigned shall constitute the execution and delivery of a counterpart signature page to the ROFR Agreement, and the undersigned shall have all rights and be subject to the obligations thereunder effective as of the date hereof.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the ROFR Agreement has been executed by the undersigned as of the date set forth below.