Form of Outside Director Restricted Stock Unit Agreement for 2012 Equity Incentive Plan
Form of Outside Director Restricted Stock Unit Agreement
2012 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
RESTRICTED STOCK UNIT AGREEMENT
Unless otherwise defined herein, the terms defined in the Intevac, Inc. 2012 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) will have the same defined meanings in this Restricted Stock Unit Agreement (the Agreement), which includes the Notice of Restricted Stock Unit Grant (the Notice of Grant) and Terms and Conditions of Restricted Stock Unit Grant, attached hereto as Exhibit A.
I. NOTICE OF RESTRICTED STOCK UNIT GRANT
Participant has been granted the right to receive an Award of Restricted Stock Units, subject to the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Agreement, as follows:
Date of Grant
Vesting Commencement Date
Number of Restricted Stock Units
Subject to any acceleration provisions contained in the Plan or set forth below, the Restricted Stock Units will vest in accordance with the following schedule:
One hundred percent (100%) of the Restricted Stock Units will vest on the one (1) year anniversary of the Date of Grant (the One-Year Anniversary), provided Participant remains a Director through such date.
Except as provided by the following paragraph, in the event Participant ceases to be a Director for any or no reason before Participant vests in the Restricted Stock Units, the Restricted Stock Units and Participants right to acquire any Shares hereunder will immediately terminate.
Notwithstanding anything in the Plan or this Agreement to the contrary, if, on or following the six (6)-month anniversary of the Date of Grant, Participants service as a Director terminates under honorable circumstances and such termination is a separation from service within the meaning of Section 409A (as defined below), one hundred percent (100%) of the Restricted Stock Units will vest immediately prior to such separation from service. The Board, excluding Participant for this purpose, will determine in its sole, good faith discretion, whether Participants termination as a Director was under honorable circumstances; provided, however, that the Boards determination that Participant willfully breached the Companys Director Code of Ethics, as in effect at the time of such breach, automatically will be deemed to be a determination that any termination of Participants service as a Director is not under honorable circumstances. For the avoidance of doubt, that Participants termination as a Director was not under honorable circumstances may be determined after Participants termination as a Director, and any Shares issued pursuant to this Agreement shall, upon such a determination, be immediately forfeited to the Company for no consideration.
By Participants signature and the signature of the representative of Intevac, Inc. (the Company) below, Participant and the Company agree that this Award of Restricted Stock Units is granted under and governed by the terms and conditions of the Plan and this Agreement, including the Terms and Conditions of Restricted Stock Unit Grant, attached hereto as Exhibit A, all of which are made a part of this document. Participant has reviewed the Plan and this Agreement in their entirety, has had an opportunity to obtain the advice of counsel prior to executing this Agreement and fully understands all provisions of the Plan and Agreement. Participant hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Administrator upon any questions relating to the Plan and Agreement. Participant further agrees to notify the Company upon any change in the residence address indicated below.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF RESTRICTED STOCK UNIT GRANT
1. Grant. The Company hereby grants to the individual named in the Notice of Grant attached as Part I of this Agreement (the Participant) under the Plan an Award of Restricted Stock Units, subject to all of the terms and conditions in this Agreement and the Plan, which is incorporated herein by reference. Subject to Section 20 of the Plan, in the event of a conflict between the terms and conditions of the Plan and the terms and conditions of this Agreement, the terms and conditions of the Plan will prevail.
2. Companys Obligation to Pay. Each Restricted Stock Unit represents the right to receive a Share on the date it vests. Unless and until the Restricted Stock Units will have vested in the manner set forth in Section 3 or 4, Participant will have no right to payment of any such Restricted Stock Units. Prior to actual payment of any vested Restricted Stock Units, such Restricted Stock Units will represent an unsecured obligation of the Company, payable (if at all) only from the general assets of the Company. Any Restricted Stock Units that vest in accordance with Sections 3 or 4 will be paid to Participant (or in the event of Participants death, to his or her estate) in whole Shares, subject to Participant satisfying any applicable tax withholding obligations as set forth in Section 7. Subject to the provisions of Section 4, such vested Restricted Stock Units will be paid in whole Shares as soon as practicable after vesting, but in each such case within thirty (30) days following the vesting date. In no event will Participant be permitted, directly or indirectly, to specify the taxable year of the payment of any Restricted Stock Units payable under this Agreement. No fractional Shares will be issued under this Agreement.
3. Vesting Schedule. Except as provided in Section 4, and subject to any acceleration provisions contained in the Plan or set forth in this Agreement, and subject to Section 5, the Restricted Stock Units awarded by this Agreement will vest in accordance with the vesting provisions set forth in the Notice of Grant. Except as provided in the Notice of Grant, Restricted Stock Units scheduled to vest on a certain date or upon the occurrence of a certain condition will not vest in Participant in accordance with any of the provisions of this Agreement, unless Participant will have been continuously a Director from the Date of Grant until the date such vesting occurs.
4. Administrator Discretion. The Administrator, in its discretion, may accelerate the vesting of the balance, or some lesser portion of the balance, of the unvested Restricted Stock Units at any time, subject to the terms of the Plan. If so accelerated, such Restricted Stock Units will be considered as having vested as of the date specified by the Administrator. The payment of Shares vesting pursuant to this Section 4 shall in all cases be paid at a time or in a manner that is exempt from or complies with Section 409A.
Notwithstanding anything in the Plan or this Agreement to the contrary, if the vesting of the balance, or some lesser portion of the balance, of the Restricted Stock Units is accelerated in connection with Participants termination as a Director (provided that such termination is a separation from service within the meaning of Section 409A, as determined by the Company), other than due to death, and if (x) Participant is a specified employee within the meaning of Section 409A at the time of such separation from service and (y) the payment of such accelerated Restricted Stock Units will result in the imposition of additional tax under Section 409A if paid to Participant on or within the six (6) month period following Participants separation from service, then the payment of such accelerated Restricted Stock Units will not be made until the date six (6) months and one (1) day following the date of Participants separation from service, unless the Participant dies following his or her termination as a Director, in which case, the Restricted Stock Units will be paid in Shares to the Participants estate as soon as practicable following his or her death. It is the intent of this Agreement that it and all payments and benefits hereunder be exempt from or comply with the requirements of Section 409A so that none of the Restricted Stock Units provided under this Agreement or Shares issuable thereunder will be subject to the additional tax imposed under Section 409A, and any ambiguities herein will be interpreted to be so exempt or so comply. Each payment payable under this Agreement is intended to constitute a separate payment for purposes of Treasury Regulation Section 1.409A-2(b)(2). For purposes of this Agreement, Section 409A means Section 409A of the Code, and any final Treasury Regulations and Internal Revenue Service guidance thereunder, as each may be amended from time to time.
5. Forfeiture upon Termination of Status as a Director. Except as provided in the Notice of Grant, the balance of the Restricted Stock Units that have not vested as of the time of Participants termination as a Director for any or no reason and Participants right to acquire any Shares hereunder will immediately terminate.
6. Death of Participant. Any distribution or delivery to be made to Participant under this Agreement will, if Participant is then deceased, be made to Participants designated beneficiary, or if no beneficiary survives Participant, the administrator or executor of Participants estate. Any such transferee must furnish the Company with (a) written notice of his or her status as transferee, and (b) evidence satisfactory to the Company to establish the validity of the transfer and compliance with any laws or regulations pertaining to said transfer.
7. Withholding of Taxes. Currently, the Company typically is not required to withhold taxes from non-employee directors. However, applicable rules may change, Participants non-employee status may change, and/or special circumstances may require withholding. Regardless of any action the Company or Participants employer (the Employer) takes with respect to any or all income tax, social insurance, payroll tax, payment on account or other tax-related withholding which the Company determines must be withheld or collected with respect to this Award and/or the Shares thereunder (Tax-Related Items), Participant acknowledges that the ultimate liability for all Tax-Related Items legally due by him or her is and remains Participants responsibility and that the Company and/or the Employer (1) make no representations or undertakings regarding the treatment of any Tax-Related Items in connection with any aspect of the Restricted Stock Unit grant, including the grant, vesting or settlement of the Restricted Stock Units, the subsequent sale of Shares acquired pursuant to such settlement and the receipt of any dividends; and (2) do not commit to structure the terms of the grant or any aspect of the Restricted Stock Units to reduce or eliminate Participants liability for Tax-Related Items.
Notwithstanding any contrary provision of this Agreement, no certificate representing the Shares will be issued to Participant, unless and until satisfactory arrangements (as determined by the Administrator) will have been made by Participant with respect to the payment of Tax-Related Items. Prior to vesting and/or settlement of the Restricted Stock Units, Participant will pay or make adequate arrangements satisfactory to the Company and/or the Employer to satisfy all obligations of the Company and/or the Employer for Tax-Related Items. In this regard, Participant authorizes the Company and/or the Employer to withhold all applicable Tax-Related Items legally payable by Participant from his or her wages or other cash compensation paid to Participant by the Company and/or the Employer or from proceeds of the sale of Shares. Alternatively, or in addition, if permissible under applicable local law, the Company may, in its sole discretion and pursuant to such procedures as it may specify from time to time, may permit or require Participant to satisfy such Tax-Related Items, in whole or in part (without limitation) by (a) paying cash, (b) electing to have the Company withhold otherwise deliverable Shares having a Fair Market Value equal to the minimum amount required to be withheld, (c) delivering to the Company already vested and owned Shares having a Fair Market Value equal to the amount required to be withheld for Tax-Related Items, or (d) selling a sufficient number of such Shares otherwise deliverable to Participant through such means as the Company may determine in its sole discretion (whether through a broker or otherwise) equal to the amount required to be withheld for Tax-Related Items. The Company in its sole discretion, will have the right (but not the obligation) to satisfy any Tax-Related Items by reducing the number of Shares otherwise deliverable to Participant and, until determined otherwise by the Company, this will be the method by which such obligations for Tax-Related Items are satisfied. If Participant fails to make satisfactory arrangements for the payment of any required Tax-Related Items hereunder at the time any applicable Restricted Stock Units otherwise are scheduled to vest pursuant to Sections 3 or 4 or Tax-Related Items related to the Restricted Stock Units otherwise are due, Participant will permanently forfeit such Restricted Stock Units and any right to receive Shares thereunder and the Restricted Stock Units will be returned to the Company at no cost to the Company.
(a) Participant acknowledges receipt of a copy of the Plan (including any applicable appendixes or sub-plans thereunder) and represents that he or she is familiar with the terms and provisions thereof, and hereby accepts this Award of Restricted Stock Units subject to all of the terms and provisions thereof. Participant has reviewed the Plan (including any applicable appendixes or sub-plans thereunder) and this Agreement in their entirety, has had an opportunity to obtain the advice of counsel prior to executing this Agreement and fully understands all provisions of the Award. Participant hereby agrees to accept as binding, conclusive and final all decisions or interpretations of the Administrator upon any questions arising under the Plan or this Agreement. Participant further agrees to notify the Company upon any change in the residence address indicated in the Notice of Grant.
(b) The Company (which may or may not be Participants Employer) is granting the Restricted Stock Units. The Company may administer the Plan from outside Participants country of residence, and United States law will govern all Restricted Stock Units granted under the Plan.
(c) Participant acknowledges that benefits and rights provided under the Plan are wholly discretionary and, although provided by the Company, do not constitute regular or periodic payments. Unless otherwise required by Applicable Laws, the benefits and rights provided under the Plan are not to be considered part of Participants salary or compensation for purposes of calculating any severance, resignation, redundancy or other end of service payments, vacation, bonuses, long-term service awards, indemnification, pension or retirement benefits, or any other payments, benefits or rights of any kind. Participant waives any and all rights to compensation or damages as a result of the termination of employment with the Company for any reason whatsoever insofar as those rights result or may result from:
(i) the loss or diminution in value of such rights under the Plan, or
(ii) Participant ceasing to have any rights under, or ceasing to be entitled to any rights under the Plan as a result of such termination.
(d) The grant of the Restricted Stock Units, and any future grant of Restricted Stock Units under the Plan is entirely voluntary, and at the complete discretion of the Company. Neither the grant of the Restricted Stock Units nor any future grant of Restricted Stock Units by the Company will be deemed to create any obligation to grant any further Restricted Stock Units, whether or not such a reservation is explicitly stated at the time of such a grant. The Company has the right, at any time to amend, suspend or terminate the Plan.
(e) The Plan will not be deemed to constitute, and will not be construed by Participant to constitute, part of the terms and conditions of employment, and the Company will not incur any liability of any kind to Participant as a result of any change or amendment, or any cancellation, of the Plan at any time.
(f) Participation in the Plan will not be deemed to constitute, and will not be deemed by Participant to constitute, an employment or labor relationship of any kind with the Company.
9. Data Privacy. By entering into this Agreement, and as a condition of the grant of the Restricted Stock Units, Participant hereby explicitly and unambiguously consents to the collection, use and transfer, in electronic or other form, of his or her personal data as described in this document by and among, as applicable, the Employer, and Company and its Subsidiaries and affiliates for the exclusive purpose of implementing, administering and managing Participants participation in the Plan.
Participant understands that the Company and the Employer, its Parent or any Subsidiary may hold certain personal information about Participant, including, but not limited to, Participants name, home address and telephone number, date of birth, social insurance number or other identification number, salary, nationality, job title, any Shares or directorships held in the Company, details of all Restricted Stock Units or any other entitlement to Shares awarded, canceled, exercised, vested, unvested or outstanding in Participants favor, for the purpose of implementing, administering and managing the Plan (Data). Participant understands that Data may be transferred to any third parties assisting in the implementation, administration and management of the Plan, that these recipients may be located in Participants country or elsewhere, and that the recipients country (e.g., the United States) may have different data privacy laws and protections than Participants country. Participant understands that he or she may request a list with the names and addresses of any potential recipients of the Data by contacting Participants local human resources representative. Participant authorizes the recipients to receive, possess, use, retain and transfer the Data, in electronic or other form, for the sole purpose of implementing, administering and managing Participants participation in the Plan, including any requisite transfer of such Data as may be required to a broker or other third party with whom Participant may elect to deposit any shares of stock acquired upon settlement of the Restricted Stock Units. Participant understands that Data will be held only as long as is necessary to implement, administer and manage Participants participation in the Plan. Participant understands that he or she may, at any time, view Data, request additional information about the storage and processing of Data, require any necessary amendments to Data or refuse or withdraw the consents herein, in any case without cost, by contacting in writing Participants local human resources representative. Participant understands, however, that refusing or withdrawing his or her consent may affect Participants ability to participate in the Plan. For more information on the consequences of Participants refusal to consent or withdrawal of consent, Participant understands that he or she may contact his or her local human resources representative.
10. English Language. Participant has received the terms and conditions of this Agreement and any other related communications, and Participant consents to having received these documents in English. If Participant has received this Agreement or any other document related to the Plan translated into a language other than English and if the translated version is different than the English version, the English version will control.
11. Rights as Stockholder. Neither Participant nor any person claiming under or through Participant will have any of the rights or privileges of a stockholder of the Company in respect of any Shares deliverable hereunder unless and until certificates representing such Shares will have been issued, recorded on the records of the Company or its transfer agents or registrars, and delivered to Participant. After such issuance, recordation and delivery, Participant will have all the rights of a stockholder of the Company with respect to voting such Shares and receipt of dividends and distributions on such Shares.
12. No Guarantee of Continued Service. PARTICIPANT ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THE VESTING OF THE RESTRICTED STOCK UNITS PURSUANT TO THE VESTING SCHEDULE HEREOF IS EARNED ONLY BY CONTINUING AS A DIRECTOR AT THE WILL OF THE COMPANY (OR THE PARENT OR SUBSIDIARY EMPLOYING OR RETAINING PARTICIPANT) AND NOT THROUGH THE ACT OF BEING HIRED, BEING GRANTED THIS AWARD OF RESTRICTED STOCK UNITS OR ACQUIRING SHARES HEREUNDER. PARTICIPANT FURTHER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THIS AGREEMENT, THE TRANSACTIONS CONTEMPLATED HEREUNDER AND THE VESTING SCHEDULE SET FORTH HEREIN DO NOT CONSTITUTE AN EXPRESS OR IMPLIED PROMISE OF CONTINUED ENGAGEMENT AS A DIRECTOR FOR THE VESTING PERIOD, FOR ANY PERIOD, OR AT ALL, AND WILL NOT
INTERFERE IN ANY WAY WITH PARTICIPANTS RIGHT OR THE RIGHT OF THE COMPANY (OR THE PARENT OR SUBSIDIARY EMPLOYING OR RETAINING PARTICIPANT) TO TERMINATE PARTICIPANTS RELATIONSHIP AS A DIRECTOR AT ANY TIME, WITH OR WITHOUT CAUSE.
13. Address for Notices. Any notice to be given to the Company under the terms of this Agreement will be addressed to the Company, in care of its Secretary at Intevac, Inc., 3560 Bassett Street, Santa Clara CA 95054, or at such other address as the Company may hereafter designate in writing.
14. Grant is Not Transferable. Except to the limited extent provided in Section 6, this grant and the rights and privileges conferred hereby will not be transferred, assigned, pledged or hypothecated in any way (whether by operation of law or otherwise) and will not be subject to sale under execution, attachment or similar process. Upon any attempt to transfer, assign, pledge, hypothecate or otherwise dispose of this grant, or any right or privilege conferred hereby, or upon any attempted sale under any execution, attachment or similar process, this grant and the rights and privileges conferred hereby immediately will become null and void.
15. Binding Agreement. Subject to the limitation on the transferability of this grant contained herein, this Agreement will be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the heirs, legatees, legal representatives, successors and assigns of the parties hereto.
16. Additional Conditions to Issuance of Stock. If at any time the Company will determine, in its discretion, that the listing, registration, qualification or rule compliance of the Shares upon any securities exchange or under any state, federal or foreign law, the tax code and related regulations or the consent or approval of any governmental regulatory authority is necessary or desirable as a condition to the issuance of Shares to Participant (or his or her estate) hereunder, such issuance will not occur unless and until such listing, registration, qualification, rule compliance, consent or approval will have been completed, effected or obtained free of any conditions not acceptable to the Company. Where the Company determines that the delivery of the payment of any Shares will violate federal securities laws or other applicable laws, the Company will defer delivery until the earliest date at which the Company reasonably anticipates that the delivery of Shares will no longer cause such violation. The Company will make all reasonable efforts to meet the requirements of any such state, federal or foreign law or securities exchange and to obtain any such consent or approval of any such governmental authority or securities exchange.
17. Plan Governs. This Agreement is subject to all terms and provisions of the Plan. In the event of a conflict between one or more provisions of this Agreement and one or more provisions of the Plan, the provisions of the Plan will govern. Capitalized terms used and not defined in this Agreement will have the meaning set forth in the Plan.
18. Administrator Authority. The Administrator will have the power to interpret the Plan and this Agreement and to adopt such rules for the administration, interpretation and application of the Plan as are consistent therewith and to interpret or revoke any such rules (including, but not limited to, the determination of whether or not any Restricted Stock Units have vested). All actions taken and all interpretations and determinations made by the Administrator in good faith will be final and binding upon Participant, the Company and all other interested persons. No member of the Administrator will be personally liable for any action, determination or interpretation made in good faith with respect to the Plan or this Agreement.
19. Electronic Delivery. The Company may, in its sole discretion, decide to deliver any documents related to Restricted Stock Units awarded under the Plan or future Restricted Stock Units that may be awarded under the Plan by electronic means or request Participants consent to participate in the Plan by electronic means. Participant hereby consents to receive such documents by electronic delivery and agrees to participate in the Plan through any on-line or electronic system established and maintained by the Company or another third party designated by the Company.
20. Captions. Captions provided herein are for convenience only and are not to serve as a basis for interpretation or construction of this Agreement.
21. Agreement Severable. In the event that any provision in this Agreement will be held invalid or unenforceable, such provision will be severable from, and such invalidity or unenforceability will not be construed to have any effect on, the remaining provisions of this Agreement.
22. Modifications to the Agreement. This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding of the parties on the subjects covered. Participant expressly warrants that he or she is not accepting this Agreement in reliance on any promises, representations, or inducements other than those contained herein. Modifications to this Agreement or the Plan can be made only in an express written contract executed by a duly authorized officer of the Company. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in the Plan or this Agreement, the Company reserves the right to revise this Agreement as it deems necessary or advisable, in its sole discretion and without the consent of Participant, to comply with Section 409A or to otherwise avoid imposition of any additional tax or income recognition under Section 409A in connection to this Award of Restricted Stock Units.
23. Amendment, Suspension or Termination of the Plan. By accepting this Award, Participant expressly warrants that he or she has received an Award of Restricted Stock Units under the Plan, and has received, read and understood a description of the Plan. Participant understands that the Plan is discretionary in nature and may be amended, suspended or terminated by the Company at any time.
24. Governing Law. This Agreement will be governed by the laws of the State of California, without giving effect to the conflict of law principles thereof. For purposes of litigating any dispute that arises under this Award of Restricted Stock Units or this Agreement, the parties hereby submit to and consent to the jurisdiction of the State of California, and agree that such litigation will be conducted in the courts of Santa Clara County, California, or the federal courts for the United States for the Northern District of California, and no other courts, where this Award of Restricted Stock Units is made and/or to be performed.