Deferred Stock Unit Agreement, dated August 31, 2020, between Galectin Therapeutics Inc. and Joel Lewis
DEFERRED STOCK UNIT AGREEMENT
UNDER THE GALECTIN THERAPEUTICS INC.
2019 OMNIBUS EQUITY COMPENSATION PLAN
August 31, 2020
Pursuant to the terms of the Galectin Therapeutics Inc. 2019 Omnibus Equity Compensation Plan (the Plan), Galectin Therapeutics Inc., a Nevada corporation (the Company) will issue the number of shares of the Companys common stock equal to the number of Deferred Stock Units (DSUs) granted in accordance with the terms set forth in this agreement (the Agreement).
Notwithstanding anything in this Agreement to the contrary, the grant of the DSUs pursuant to this Agreement and the issuance of shares of the Companys common stock in settlement of such DSUs shall be subject to, and governed by, all the terms and conditions of the Plan. To the extent there is any inconsistency between the terms of the Plan and of this Agreement, the terms of the Plan shall control.
All capitalized terms used in this Agreement and not otherwise defined shall have the respective meanings given such terms in the Plan.
1. General. Each DSU represents a right to receive one share of the Companys common stock (a Share) in accordance with and subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement and the Plan. By execution of this Award Agreement, the Grantee agrees to be bound by all of the terms and provisions of the Plan, the rules and regulations under the Plan adopted from time to time, and the decisions and determinations of the Board made from time to time.
2. Number of DSU. Pursuant to the terms of the Grantees employment agreement with the Company dated September 2, 2020 (the Employment Agreement), 80% of the Grantees base salary and annual performance bonus earned during the period beginning on September 2, 2020 and ending on December 31, 2022 shall be paid in the form of DSUs which will settle in accordance with the terms of this Agreement.
(a) Base Salary DSUs. The number of whole and fractional DSUs credited to the Grantees Account (as defined in Section 3 below) with respect to his base salary each payroll period shall equal the quotient obtained by dividing (i) 80% of the gross amount of the Grantees base salary earned during such payroll period by (ii) the closing price of the Companys Common Stock on the date he receives the cash portion of his base salary.
(b) Annual Performance Bonus DSUs. The number of whole and fractional DSUs credited to the Grantees Account with respect to any annual performance bonus earned during any fiscal year ending on or after the date of this Agreement and on or before December 31, 2022 shall equal the quotient obtained by dividing (i) 80% of the gross amount of the annual performance bonus earned by the Grantee for such fiscal year by (ii) the closing price of the Companys Common Stock on the date he receives the cash portion of his annual performance bonus for such fiscal year.
3. Account for Grantee. The Company shall maintain a bookkeeping account for the Grantee (the Account) reflecting the number of whole and fractional DSUs credited to the Grantee pursuant to Section 2.
4. Nontransferability. The Grantee may not transfer DSUs or any rights hereunder to any third party other than by will or the laws of descent and distribution.
5. Vesting. The DSUs credited to the Grantees Account as of any date shall be fully vested and nonforfeitable at all times.
6. Settlement - Delivery of Shares. The Company shall issue the Shares underlying the outstanding whole number of DSUs credited to the Grantees Account (along with any cash credited to the Grantees Account) as follows: twenty five (25%) percent shall be issued and/or paid on March 1, 2023, twenty five (25%) percent shall be issued and/or paid on September 1, 2023, and fifty (50%) percent shall be issued and/or paid on March 1, 2024; provided however, that all remaining whole Shares underlying the DSUs credited to the Grantees Account (and any remaining cash credited to the Grantees Account) will be distributed to the Grantee on the earlier of (i) the first business day of the seventh (7th) month following the Grantees Separation from Service, and (ii) the date of the Grantees death. Each date on which the Grantee is schedule to receive Shares and cash in an installment payment or in a lump sum is referred to herein as a Settlement Date. The Fair Market Value of any fractional DSU determined as of the applicable Settlement Date, along with any other cash credited to the Grantees Account pursuant to the following paragraph shall be paid to the Grantee in cash on or as soon as reasonably practicable after the Settlement Date.
In the event a Change in Control of the Company occurs prior to the Settlement Date, the Grantees Account will be credited with the consideration payable in such Change in Control with respect to the Shares subject to the DSUs then credited to the Grantees Account immediately prior to such Change in Control. If the Grantees employment with the Company continues after a Change in Control, the Grantees Account will be credited with the cash value of the portion of his base salary and annual performance bonus that would have been credited in the form of DSUs but for the Change in Control. The portion of the Grantees Account denominated in cash pursuant to the preceding sentence (i.e., the amount attributable to base salary and annual performance bonuses credited to the Grantees Account after the Change in Control) shall be credited with interest at three (3%) percent compounded annually. For avoidance of doubt, a Change in Control shall not result in acceleration of the settlement of the Grantees Account and the payment of all amounts or other property credited to the Grantees Account in connection with the Change in Control shall be paid or delivered to the Grantee on as soon as reasonably practicable after the Settlement Date.
(a) Change and Modifications. This Agreement may not be orally changed, modified or terminated, nor shall any oral waiver of any of its terms be effective. This Agreement may be changed, modified or terminated only by an agreement in writing signed by the Company and the Grantee. Any amendment or modification to Section 2 of this Agreement will become effective with respect to the Grantees base salary and annual performance bonus earned in the calendar year following the calendar year in which such amendment is executed.
(b) Tax Withholding. The Grantee agrees to make appropriate arrangements with the Company for the satisfaction of all applicable Federal, state and local income tax withholding requirements, if any, arising in connection with the delivery of Shares or other property and payment of any cash to the Grantee in accordance with this Agreement.
(c) Notices. All notices, requests, consents and other communications shall be in writing and be deemed given when delivered personally, by telex or facsimile transmission or when received if mailed by first class registered or certified mail, postage prepaid. Notices to the Company or the Grantee shall be addressed as set forth underneath their signatures below, or to such other address or addresses as may have been furnished by such party in writing to the other.
(d) Counterparts. For the convenience of the parties and to facilitate execution, this Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which shall constitute one and the same document.
The foregoing Agreement is hereby accepted and the terms and conditions thereof hereby agreed to by the undersigned as of the date first above written.
|GALECTIN THERAPEUTICS INC.|
|Name:||Kevin D. Freeman|
|Title:||Vice-Chairman and Authorized Director|
4960 Peachtree Industrial
|Norcross, GA 30071|
The undersigned hereby acknowledges receiving and reviewing a copy of the Plan and understands that the DSUs granted herein are subject to the terms of the Plan and of this Agreement. This Agreement is hereby accepted, and the terms and conditions thereof and of the Plan hereby agreed to, by the undersigned as of the date first above written.
|Name: Joel Lewis|
DESIGNATION OF BENEFICIARY: [*]