EX-10.1 6 fs12020a3ex10-1_edtechx.htm FORM OF LETTER AGREEMENT AMONG THE REGISTRANT AND OUR INITIAL STOCKHOLDERS, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND SPONSORS
EdtechX Holdings Acquisition Corp. II
c/o IBIS Capital Limited
22 Soho Square
London, W1D 4NS
520 Madison Avenue, 2nd Floor
New York, New York 10022
| ||Re: ||Initial Public Offering|
Ladies and Gentlemen:
This letter (this “Letter Agreement”) is being delivered to you in accordance with the Underwriting Agreement (the “Underwriting Agreement”) entered into by and between EdtechX Holdings Acquisition Corp. II, a Delaware corporation (the “Company”), and Jefferies LLC as representative (the “Representative”) of the several underwriters named in Schedule A thereto (the “Underwriters”), relating to an underwritten initial public offering (the “IPO”) of the Company’s units (the “Units”), each unit comprised of one share of the Company’s Class A common stock, par value $0.0001 per share (the “Class A Common Stock”), and one-half of one redeemable warrant, each whole warrant exercisable for one share of Class A Common Stock (each, a “Warrant”). Certain capitalized terms used herein are defined in paragraph 13 hereof.
In order to induce the Company and the Underwriters to enter into the Underwriting Agreement and to proceed with the IPO, and in recognition of the benefit that such IPO will confer upon the undersigned, and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the undersigned hereby agrees, severally but not jointly, with the Company as follows:
1. If the Company solicits approval of its stockholders of a Business Combination, the undersigned will vote all shares of Common Stock (including shares of Class B Common Stock and those shares of Class A Common Stock that may be issued to it upon conversion of Class B Common Stock) beneficially owned by it, him or her, whether acquired before, in, or after the IPO, in favor of such Business Combination.
2. (a) In the event that the Company fails to consummate a Business Combination within the time period set forth in the Company’s Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation, as the same may be further amended from time to time (the “Charter”), the undersigned will, as promptly as possible, take all necessary actions to cause the Company to (i) cease all operations except for the purpose of winding up, (ii) as promptly as reasonably possible, but not more than ten (10) business days thereafter, redeem the IPO Shares, at a per-share price, payable in cash, equal to the aggregate amount then on deposit in the Trust Account, including interest earned on funds held in the Trust Account (less up to $100,000 of interest to pay liquidation expenses and which interest shall be net of taxes payable), divided by the number of then outstanding IPO Shares, which redemption will completely extinguish public stockholders’ rights as stockholders (including the right to receive further liquidation distributions, if any), and (iii) as promptly as reasonably possible following such redemption, subject to the approval of the Company’s remaining stockholders and the Company’s board of directors, dissolve and liquidate, subject in the cases of clauses (ii) and (iii) to the Company’s obligations under Delaware law to provide for claims of creditors and other requirements of applicable law.
(b) The undersigned hereby waives any and all right, title, interest or claim of any kind in or to any distribution of the Trust Account (“Claim”) with respect to the shares of Class B Common Stock owned by the undersigned and hereby waives any Claim the undersigned may have in the future as a result of, or arising out of, any contracts or agreements with the Company and will not seek recourse against the Trust Account for any reason whatsoever. The undersigned acknowledges and agrees that there will be no distribution from the Trust Account with respect to any Warrants, all of which will terminate on the Company’s liquidation.
[(c) In the event of the liquidation of the Trust Account, undersigned agrees to be liable to the Company if and to the extent any claims by a third party (other than the Company’s independent public accountants) for services rendered or products sold to the Company, or a prospective target business with which the Company has entered into a written letter of intent, confidentiality or other similar agreement or business combination agreement, reduce the amount of funds in the Trust Account to below the lesser of (i) $10.00 per public share and (ii) the actual amount per share held in the Trust Account as of the date of the liquidation of the Trust Account, if less than $10.00 per share due to reductions in the value of the trust assets, less taxes payable, provided that such liability will not apply to any claims by a third party or prospective target business who executed a waiver of any and all rights to the monies held in the Trust Account (whether or not such waiver is enforceable) nor will it apply to any claims under the Company’s indemnity of the underwriters of the IPO against certain liabilities, including liabilities under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the “Securities Act”).][For sponsor letter only]
3. The undersigned acknowledges and agrees that prior to entering into a Business Combination with a target business that is affiliated with any Insiders of the Company or their affiliates, such transaction must be approved by a majority of the Company’s disinterested independent directors and the Company must obtain an opinion from an independent investment banking firm, or another independent valuation or appraisal firm that regularly renders valuation opinions, that such Business Combination is fair to the Company from a financial point of view.
4 The undersigned acknowledges and agrees that it will not be entitled to receive, and will not accept, any finder’s fees, reimbursements, consulting fee, non-cash payments, monies in respect of any payment of a loan or other compensation paid by us to the Company’s sponsors, initial stockholders, officers, directors or their affiliates prior to, or in connection with any services rendered in order to effectuate, the consummation of the Business Combination (regardless of the type of transaction that it is); provided that the Company shall be allowed to make the payments set forth in the Registration Statement under the caption “Prospectus Summary – The Offering – Limited payments to insiders,” none of which will be made from the proceeds of the IPO held in the Trust Account prior to the completion of the Business Combination.
5. [(a) The undersigned hereby agrees not to become an officer or director of any other special purpose acquisition company that has publicly filed a registration statement with the SEC until the Company has entered into a definitive agreement regarding an initial Business Combination or the Company has failed to complete an initial Business Combination within the time period required by the Charter.
(b) The undersigned hereby agrees and acknowledges that (i) each of the Underwriters and the Company may be irreparably injured in the event of a breach of any of the obligations contained in this letter, (ii) monetary damages may not be an adequate remedy for such breach and (iii) the non-breaching party shall be entitled to injunctive relief, in addition to any other remedy that such party may have in law or in equity, in the event of such breach.][For officer letters only]
6. (a) The undersigned agrees that the shares of Class B Common Stock may not be transferred, assigned or sold (except (a) to the Company’s officers or directors, any affiliates or family members of any of the Company’s officers or directors, any members of the sponsors (as defined in the Registration Statement), any affiliates of the sponsors, the initial stockholders (as defined in the Registration Statement) and any family members of the initial stockholders, if such initial stockholder is an individual, or any members of the initial stockholders or any affiliates of the initial stockholders, if such initial stockholder is an entity, (b) by gift to a charitable organization or in the case of an individual, by gift to a member of the holder’s immediate family or to a trust, the beneficiary of which is a member of one of the holder’s immediate family or an affiliate of such person; (c) in the case of an individual, by virtue of laws of descent and distribution upon death of the individual; (d) in the case of an individual, pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order; (e) by private sales or transfers made in connection with any forward purchase agreement or similar arrangement or in connection with the consummation of an initial business combination at prices no greater than the price at which the shares or warrants were originally purchased; (f) in the event of the Company’s liquidation prior to the completion of the initial business combination; (g) to Macquarie Capital (USA) Inc. or its affiliates, or (h) by virtue of the laws of Delaware or the organizational documents of the sponsors upon dissolution of the sponsors or any of the initial stockholders upon dissolution of such initial stockholder; provided, however, that in the case of clauses (a) through (e) or (h) these permitted transferees must enter into a written agreement agreeing to be bound by these transfer restrictions and the other restrictions contained in this Letter Agreement with respect to such securities (including provisions relating to voting, the trust account and liquidation distributions described elsewhere in the Registration Statement) until the earlier of (1) one year after the completion of the Company’s initial Business Combination or (B) subsequent to the Company’s initial Business Combination, (x) if the reported closing price of the Class A Common Stock equals or exceeds $12.00 per share (as adjusted for stock splits, stock dividends, reorganizations, recapitalizations and the like) for any 20 trading days within any 30-trading day period commencing at least 150 days after the Company’s initial Business Combination, or (y) the date on which the Company completes a liquidation, merger, capital stock exchange, reorganization or other similar transaction that results in all of the Company’s stockholders having the right to exchange their shares of Common Stock for cash, securities or other property.
(b) The undersigned will not, without the prior written consent of the Representative, offer, sell, contract to sell, hypothecate, pledge, hedge, grant any option to purchase or otherwise dispose of or agree to dispose of (or enter into any transaction that is designed to, or might reasonably be expected to, result in the disposition (whether by actual disposition or effective economic disposition due to cash settlement or otherwise) by the undersigned or any affiliate of the undersigned or any person in privity with the undersigned or any affiliate of the undersigned), directly or indirectly, including the filing (or participation in the filing) of a registration statement with the Securities and Exchange Commission in respect of, or establish or increase a put equivalent position or liquidate or decrease a call equivalent position within the meaning of Section 16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, and the rules and regulations of the Securities and Exchange Commission promulgated thereunder with respect to, any Units, Class A Common Stock, Class B Common Stock, Warrants or any securities convertible into, or exercisable, or exchangeable for, Common Stock or publicly announce an intention to effect any such transaction, for a period of 180 days after the date of the Underwriting Agreement. Each of the undersigned acknowledges and agrees that, prior to the effective date of any release or waiver, of the restrictions set forth in section 6 hereof, the Company shall announce the impending release or waiver by press release through a major news service at least two business days before the effective date of the release or waiver. Any release or waiver granted shall only be effective two business days after the publication date of such press release. The provisions of this paragraph will not apply if the release or waiver is effected solely to permit a transfer not for consideration and the transferee has agreed in writing to be bound by the same terms described in this Letter Agreement to the extent and for the duration that such terms remain in effect at the time of the transfer.
(c) The undersigned agrees that the Private Placement Warrants (including the shares of Class A Common Stock issuable upon exercise of the Private Placement Warrants) will not be transferable, assignable or salable (except to the same permitted transferees as described above with respect to the shares of Class B Common Stock) until 30 days after the completion of the Company’s initial Business Combination.
[7. The undersigned agrees to be an officer and/or director of the Company until the earlier of the consummation by the Company of a Business Combination or the liquidation of the Company. The undersigned’s biographical information previously furnished to the Company and the Representative is true and accurate in all respects and does not omit any material information with respect to the undersigned’s background. The undersigned’s FINRA Questionnaire previously furnished to the Company and the Representative is true and accurate in all respects. The undersigned represents and warrants that:
| ||(a) ||he/she has never had a petition under the federal bankruptcy laws or any state insolvency law been filed by or against (i) him/her or any partnership in which he/she was a general partner at or within two years before the time of filing; or (ii) any corporation or business association of which he/she was an executive officer at or within two years before the time of such filing;|
| ||(b) ||he/she has never had a receiver, fiscal agent or similar officer been appointed by a court for his/her business or property, or any such partnership;|
| ||(c) ||he/she has never been convicted of fraud in a civil or criminal proceeding;|
| ||(d) ||he/she has never been convicted in a criminal proceeding or named the subject of a pending criminal proceeding (excluding traffic violations and minor offenses);|
| ||(e) ||he/she has never been the subject of any order, judgment or decree, not subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated, of any court of competent jurisdiction, permanently or temporarily enjoining or otherwise limiting him/her from (i) acting as a futures commission merchant, introducing broker, commodity trading advisor, commodity pool operator, floor broker, leverage transaction merchant, any other person regulated by the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (“CFTC”) or an associated person of any of the foregoing, or as an investment adviser, underwriter, broker or dealer in securities, or as an affiliated person, director or employee of any investment company, bank, savings and loan association or insurance company, or from engaging in or continuing any conduct or practice in connection with any such activity; or (ii) engaging in any type of business practice; or (iii) engaging in any activity in connection with the purchase or sale of any security or commodity or in connection with any violation of federal or state securities or federal commodities laws;|
| ||(f) ||he/she has never been the subject of any order, judgment or decree, not subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated, of any federal or state authority barring, suspending or otherwise limiting for more than 60 days your right to engage in any activity described in 9(e)(i) above, or to be associated with persons engaged in any such activity;|
| ||(g) ||he/she has never been found by a court of competent jurisdiction in a civil action or by the SEC to have violated any federal or state securities law, where the judgment in such civil action or finding by the SEC has not been subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated;|
| ||(h) ||he/she has never been found by a court of competent jurisdiction in a civil action or by the CFTC to have violated any federal commodities law, where the judgment in such civil action or finding by the CFTC has not been subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated;|
| ||(i) ||he/she has never been the subject of, or a party to, any Federal or State judicial or administrative order, judgment, decree or finding, not subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated, relating to an alleged violation of (i) any Federal or State securities or commodities law or regulation, (ii) any law or regulation respecting financial institutions or insurance companies including, but not limited to, a temporary or permanent injunction, order of disgorgement or restitution, civil money penalty or temporary or permanent cease-and desist order, or removal or prohibition order or (iii) any law or regulation prohibiting mail or wire fraud or fraud in connection with any business entity;|
| ||(j) ||he/she has never been the subject of, or party to, any sanction or order, not subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated, or any self-regulatory organization, any registered entity, or any equivalent exchange, association, entity or organization that has disciplinary authority over its members or persons associated with a member;|
| ||(k) ||he/she has never been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor: (i) in connection with the purchase or sale of any security; (ii) involving the making of any false filing with the SEC; or (iii) arising out of the conduct of the business of an underwriter, broker, dealer, municipal securities dealer, investment advisor or paid solicitor of purchasers of securities;|
| ||(l) ||he/she was never subject to a final order of a state securities commission (or an agency of officer of a state performing like functions); a state authority that supervises or examines banks, savings associations, or credit unions; a state insurance commission (or an agency or officer of a state performing like functions); an appropriate federal banking agency; the Commodity Futures Trading Commission; or the National Credit Union Administration that is based on a violation of any law or regulation that prohibits fraudulent, manipulative, or deceptive conduct;|
| ||(m) ||he/she has never been subject to any order, judgment or decree of any court of competent jurisdiction, that, at the time of such sale, restrained or enjoined him/her from engaging or continuing to engage in any conduct or practice: (i) in connection with the purchase or sale of any security; (ii) involving the making of any false filing with the SEC; or (iii) arising out of the conduct of the business of an underwriter, broker, dealer, municipal securities dealer, investment adviser or paid solicitor of purchasers of securities;|
| ||(n) ||he/she has never been subject to any order of the SEC that orders him/her to cease and desist from committing or causing a future violation of: (i) any scienter-based anti-fraud provision of the federal securities laws, including, but not limited to, Section 17(a)(1) of the Securities Act, Section 10(b) of the Exchange Act and Rule 10b-5 thereunder, and Section 206(1) of the Advisers Act or any other rule or regulation thereunder; or (ii) Section 5 of the Securities Act;|
| ||(o) ||he/she has never been named as an underwriter in any registration statement or Regulation A offering statement filed with the SEC that was the subject of a refusal order, stop order, or order suspending the Regulation A exemption, or is, currently, the subject of an investigation or proceeding to determine whether a stop order or suspension order should be issued;|
| ||(p) ||he/she has never been subject to a United States Postal Service false representation order, or is currently subject to a temporary restraining order or preliminary injunction with respect to conduct alleged by the United States Postal Service to constitute a scheme or device for obtaining money or property through the mail by means of false representations;|
| ||(q) ||he/she is not subject to a final order of a state securities commission (or an agency of officer of a state performing like functions); a state authority that supervises or examines banks, savings associations, or credit unions; a state insurance commission (or an agency or officer of a state performing like functions); an appropriate federal banking agency; the Commodity Futures Trading Commission; or the National Credit Union Administration that bars the undersigned from: (i) association with an entity regulated by such commission, authority, agency or officer; (ii) engaging in the business of securities, insurance or banking; or (iii) engaging in savings association or credit union activities;|
| ||(r) ||he/she is not subject to an order of the SEC entered pursuant to section 15(b) or 15B(c) of the Exchange Act or section 203(e) or 203(f) of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 that: (i) suspends or revokes the undersigned’s registration as a broker, dealer, municipal securities dealer or investment adviser; (ii) places limitations on the activities, functions or operations of, or imposes civil money penalties on, such person; or (iii) bars the undersigned from being associated with any entity or from participating in the offering of any penny stock; and|
| ||(s) ||he/she has never been suspended or expelled from membership in, or suspended or barred from association with a member of, a securities self-regulatory organization (e.g., a registered national securities exchange or a registered national or affiliated securities association) for any act or omission to act constituting conduct inconsistent with just and equitable principles of trade.][For director and officer letters only]|
8. The undersigned has full right and power, without violating any agreement by which he or she is bound, to enter into this letter agreement [and to serve as an officer and/or director of the Company].
9. The undersigned hereby waives any right to exercise redemption rights with respect to any shares of the Common Stock owned or to be owned by the undersigned, directly or indirectly (or to sell such shares to the Company in a tender offer), whether such shares be part of the Class B Common Stock or shares purchased by the undersigned in the IPO or in the aftermarket, and agrees that he/she will not seek redemption with respect to such shares in connection with any vote to approve a Business Combination (or sell such shares to the Company in a tender offer in connection with such a Business Combination).
10. The undersigned hereby agrees to not propose, or vote in favor of, an amendment to the Charter to modify the ability of holders of IPO Shares to have their shares redeemed or sell their shares to the Company in connection with a Business Combination, modify the substance or timing of the Company’s obligation to redeem 100% of the IPO Shares if the Company does not complete an initial Business Combination within the time period required by the Charter or with respect to any other material provisions relating to stockholders’ rights or pre-initial business combination activity unless the Company provides public stockholders with the opportunity to have their IPO Shares redeemed upon such approval in accordance with the Charter.
11. This letter agreement shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to conflicts of law principles that would result in the application of the substantive laws of another jurisdiction. The undersigned hereby (i) agrees that any action, proceeding or claim against him arising out of or relating in any way to this letter agreement (a “Proceeding”) shall be brought and enforced in the courts of the State of New York of the United States of America for the Southern District of New York, and irrevocably submits to such jurisdiction, which jurisdiction shall be exclusive, (ii) waives any objection to such exclusive jurisdiction and that such courts represent an inconvenient forum and (iii) irrevocably agrees to appoint Graubard Miller as agent for the service of process in the State of New York to receive, for the undersigned and on his/her behalf, service of process in any Proceeding. If for any reason such agent is unable to act as such, the undersigned will promptly notify the Company and the Representative and appoint a substitute agent acceptable to each of the Company and the Representative within 30 days and nothing in this letter will affect the right of either party to serve process in any other manner permitted by law.
12. To the extent that the Underwriters do not exercise their over-allotment option to purchase up to an additional 1,500,000 Units within 45 days from the date of the Prospectus (and as further described in the Prospectus), the initial stockholders agree to forfeit, at no cost, a number of shares of Class B Common Stock in the aggregate equal to 375,000 multiplied by a fraction, (i) the numerator of which is 1,500,000 minus the number of Units purchased by the Underwriters upon the exercise of their over-allotment option, and (ii) the denominator of which is 1,500,000. The forfeiture will be adjusted to the extent that the over-allotment option is not exercised in full by the Underwriters so that the initial stockholders will own an aggregate of 20.0% of the Company’s issued and outstanding shares of Common Stock after the Public Offering.
13. As used herein, (i) a “Business Combination” means a merger, share exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, recapitalization, reorganization or other similar business combination with one or more businesses or entities; (ii) “Insiders” means all officers, directors, sponsors and initial stockholders of the Company immediately prior to the IPO; (iii) “IPO Shares” means the shares of Common Stock issued in the Company’s IPO; (iv) “Class B Common Stock” means the Company’s Class B common stock, par value $0.0001 per share; (v) “Common Stock” means the Class A Common Stock and Class B Common Stock; (vi) “initial stockholders” means all of the holders of Class B Common Stock; (vii) “Trust Account” means the trust account into which a portion of the net proceeds of the Company’s IPO and sale of private placement warrants will be deposited; (viii) “Registration Statement” means the Company’s registration statement on Form S-1 (SEC File No. 333-249098) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission; and (ix) “Private Placement Warrants” means the Warrants being sold in a private placement simultaneously with consummation of the IPO.
14. This Letter Agreement constitutes the entire agreement and understanding of the parties hereto in respect of the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior understandings, agreements, or representations by or among the parties hereto, written or oral, to the extent they relate in any way to the subject matter hereof or the transactions contemplated hereby. This Letter Agreement may not be changed, amended, modified or waived (other than to correct a typographical error) as to any particular provision, except by a written instrument executed by all parties hereto.
15. The undersigned acknowledges and understands that the Underwriters and the Company will rely upon the agreements, representations and warranties set forth herein in proceeding with the IPO. Nothing contained herein shall be deemed to render the Underwriters a representative of, or a fiduciary with respect to, the Company, its stockholders or any creditor or vendor of the Company with respect to the subject matter hereof.
16. This letter agreement shall be binding on the undersigned and such person’s respective successors, heirs, personal representatives and assigns. This letter agreement shall terminate on the earlier of (i) the expiration of the transfer restrictions on the Class B Common Stock contained in Section 6 hereof and (ii) the liquidation of the Company; provided, that such termination shall not relieve the undersigned from liability for any breach of this agreement prior to its termination.
[Signature Page Follows]
| || |
| ||Print Name of Insider|
| || |
| || |
| || |
| ||Acknowledged and Agreed:|
| || |
| ||EDTECHX HOLDINGS ACQUISITION CORP. II|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Name:|
| || ||Title:|