Promissory Note, dated May 21, 2021, issued by East Stone Acquisition Corporation to JHD Holdings (Cayman) Limited
THIS PROMISSORY NOTE (“NOTE”) HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE “SECURITIES ACT”). THIS NOTE HAS BEEN ACQUIRED FOR INVESTMENT ONLY AND MAY NOT BE SOLD, TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED IN THE ABSENCE OF REGISTRATION OF THE RESALE THEREOF UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OR AN OPINION OF COUNSEL REASONABLY SATISFACTORY IN FORM, SCOPE AND SUBSTANCE TO THE COMPANY THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED.
|Dated as of May 21, 2021|
|Principal Amount: $1,380,000||New York, New York|
East Stone Acquisition Corporation, a British Virgin Islands business company and blank check company (the “Maker”), promises to pay to the order of JHD Holdings (Cayman) Limited, a Cayman Islands company or its registered assigns or successors in interest (the “Payee”), or order, the principal sum of One Million Three Hundred Eighty Thousand U.S. Dollars ($1,380,000) in lawful money of the United States of America, on the terms and conditions described below. All payments on this Note shall be made by check or wire transfer of immediately available funds or as otherwise determined by the Maker to such account as the Payee may from time to time designate by written notice in accordance with the provisions of this Note. This Note is entered into in accordance with that certain Business Combination Agreement, dated as of February 16, 2021 (the “Business Combination Agreement”), by and among the Maker, Navy Sail International Limited, a British Virgin Islands company, as Purchaser Representative, JHD Technologies Limited, a Cayman Islands company (“Pubco”), Yellow River MergerCo Limited, a British Virgin Islands company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Pubco, the Payee, Yellow River (Cayman) Limited, a Cayman Islands company, and each of the holders of the Payee’s capital shares that become parties to the Business Combination Agreement from time to time, and, Double Ventures Holdings Limited, a British Virgin Islands business company and the Maker’s sponsor, solely with respect to certain sections thereof. Capitalized terms used and not otherwise defined herein have the respective meanings given to them in the Business Combination Agreement.
1. Principal. The principal balance of this Note shall be due and payable by the Maker on the earlier of (such date, the “Maturity Date”), subject to Section 11 below, (a) the date that Maker consummates the Maker’s Business Combination and (b) the date of the liquidation of the Maker. Under no circumstances shall any individual, including, but not limited to, any officer, director, employee or shareholder of the Maker, be obligated personally for any obligations or liabilities of the Maker hereunder.
2. Interest. No interest shall accrue on the unpaid principal balance of this Note.
3. Application of Payments. All payments shall be applied first to payment in full of any costs incurred in the collection of any sum due under this Note, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees, and then to the payment in full of any late charges and finally to the reduction of the unpaid principal balance of this Note.
4. Events of Default. The following shall constitute an event of default (“Event of Default”):
(a) Failure to Make Required Payments. Failure by the Maker to pay the principal amount due pursuant to this Note within five (5) business days of the Maturity Date.
(b) Voluntary Bankruptcy, Etc. The commencement by the Maker of a voluntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, rehabilitation or other similar law, or the consent by it to the appointment of or taking possession by a receiver, liquidator, assignee, trustee, custodian, sequestrator (or other similar official) of the Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or the making by it of any assignment for the benefit of creditors, or the failure of the Maker generally to pay its debts as such debts become due, or the taking of corporate action by the Maker in furtherance of any of the foregoing.
(c) Involuntary Bankruptcy, Etc. The entry of a decree or order for relief by a court having jurisdiction in the premises in respect of the Maker in an involuntary case under any applicable bankruptcy, insolvency or other similar law, or appointing a receiver, liquidator, assignee, custodian, trustee, sequestrator (or similar official) of the Maker or for any substantial part of its property, or ordering the winding-up or liquidation of its affairs, and the continuance of any such decree or order unstayed and in effect for a period of 60 consecutive days.
(a) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Section 4(a) hereof, the Payee may, by written notice to the Maker, declare this Note to be due immediately and payable, whereupon the unpaid principal amount of this Note, and all other amounts payable hereunder, shall become immediately due and payable without presentment, demand, protest or other notice of any kind, all of which are hereby expressly waived, anything contained herein or in the documents evidencing the same to the contrary notwithstanding.
(b) Upon the occurrence of an Event of Default specified in Sections 4(b) and 4(c), the unpaid principal balance of this Note, and all other sums payable with regard to this Note, shall automatically and immediately become due and payable, in all cases without any action on the part of the Payee.
6. Waivers. The Maker and all endorsers and guarantors of, and sureties for, this Note waive presentment for payment, demand, notice of dishonor, protest, and notice of protest with regard to this Note, all errors, defects and imperfections in any proceedings instituted by the Payee under the terms of this Note, and all benefits that might accrue to the Maker by virtue of any present or future laws exempting any property, real or personal, or any part of the proceeds arising from any sale of any such property, from attachment, levy or sale under execution, or providing for any stay of execution, exemption from civil process, or extension of time for payment, and the Maker agrees that any real estate that may be levied upon pursuant to a judgment obtained by virtue hereof or any writ of execution issued hereon, may be sold upon any such writ in whole or in part in any order desired by the Payee.
7. Unconditional Liability. The Maker hereby waives all notices in connection with the delivery, acceptance, performance, default, or enforcement of the payment of this Note, and agrees that its liability shall be unconditional, without regard to the liability of any other party, and shall not be affected in any manner by any indulgence, extension of time, renewal, waiver or modification granted or consented to by the Payee, and consents to any and all extensions of time, renewals, waivers, or modifications that may be granted by the Payee with respect to the payment or other provisions of this Note, and agrees that additional makers, endorsers, guarantors, or sureties may become parties hereto without notice to the Maker or affecting the Maker’s liability hereunder.
8. Notices. All notices, statements or other documents which are required or contemplated by this Note shall be made in writing and delivered: (a) personally or sent by first class registered or certified mail, overnight courier service or facsimile or electronic transmission to the address designated in writing, (b) by facsimile to the number most recently provided to such party or such other address or fax number as may be designated in writing by such party or (c) by electronic mail, to the electronic mail address most recently provided to such party or such other electronic mail address as may be designated in writing by such party. Any notice or other communication so transmitted shall be deemed to have been given on the day of delivery, if delivered personally, on the business day following receipt of written confirmation, if sent by facsimile or electronic transmission, one (1) business day after delivery to an overnight courier service or five (5) days after mailing if sent by mail.
9. Construction. THIS NOTE SHALL BE CONSTRUED AND ENFORCED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE LAWS OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS, WITHOUT REGARD TO CONFLICT OF LAW PROVISIONS THEREOF.
10. Severability. Any provision contained in this Note which is prohibited or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such prohibition or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions hereof, and any such prohibition or unenforceability in any jurisdiction shall not invalidate or render unenforceable such provision in any other jurisdiction.
11. Trust Waiver. Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, the Payee hereby waives any and all right, title, interest or claim of any kind (“Claim”) in or to any distribution of or from the trust account (the “Trust Account”) established in which the proceeds of the initial public offering (“the “IPO”) conducted by the Maker (including the deferred underwriters’ discounts and commissions) and the proceeds of the sale of the warrants issued in a private placement that occurred prior to the closing of the IPO were deposited, as described in greater detail in Maker’s Registration Statement on Form S-1 (333-235949) filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission in connection with the IPO, and hereby agrees not to seek recourse, reimbursement, payment or satisfaction for any Claim against the Trust Account for any reason whatsoever. The provisions of this Section 11 shall be in addition to, and not in limitation of, any releases of Claims provided by the Payee pursuant to any other agreement among the Payee and the Maker, including, without limitation, the Business Combination Agreement.
12. Amendment; Waiver. Any amendment hereto or waiver of any provision hereof may be made with, and only with, the written consent of the Maker and the Payee.
13. Assignment. No assignment or transfer of this Note or any rights or obligations hereunder may be made by the Maker (by operation of law or otherwise) without the prior written consent of the Payee and any attempted assignment without the required consent shall be void.
[Remainder of page intentionally left blank. Signature page follows.]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Maker, intending to be legally bound hereby, has caused this Note to be duly executed by the undersigned as of the day and year first above written.
|East Stone Acquisition Corporation|
|By:||/s/ Xiaoma (Sherman) Lu|
|Name: Xiaoma (Sherman) Lu|
|Title: Chief Executive Officer|