Forms of Notice of Stock Option Grant, Global Stock Option Agreement, and Exercise Notice under the 2021 Equity Incentive Plan
STOCK OPTION GRANT NOTICE
(2021 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN)
Confluent, Inc. (the Company), pursuant to its 2021 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan), has granted to you (Optionholder) an option to purchase the number of shares of the Class A Common Stock set forth below (the Option). Your Option is subject to all of the terms and conditions as set forth herein and in the Plan, the Global Stock Option Agreement, and the Notice of Exercise, all of which are attached hereto and incorporated herein in their entirety. Capitalized terms not explicitly defined herein but defined in the Plan or the Global Stock Option Agreement shall have the meanings set forth in the Plan or the Global Stock Option Agreement, as applicable.
|Date of Grant:|
|Vesting Commencement Date:|
|Number of Shares of Class A Common Stock Subject to Option:|
|Exercise Price (Per Share):|
|Total Exercise Price:|
|Type of Grant:||[Incentive Stock Option] OR [Nonstatutory Stock Option]|
|Vesting Schedule:||Subject to the Optionholders Continuous Service through each applicable vesting date, the Option will vest as follows:|
Optionholder Acknowledgements: By your signature below or by electronic acceptance or authentication in a form authorized by the Company, you understand and agree that:
The Option is governed by this Stock Option Grant Notice (the Grant Notice), and the provisions of the Plan and the Global Stock Option Agreement and the Notice of Exercise, all of which are made a part of this document. Unless otherwise provided in the Plan, this Grant Notice and the Global Stock Option Agreement (together, the Option Agreement) may not be modified, amended or revised except in a writing signed by you and a duly authorized officer of the Company.
If the Option is an Incentive Stock Option, it (plus other outstanding Incentive Stock Options granted to you) cannot be first exercisable for more than $100,000 in value (measured by exercise price) in any calendar year. Any excess over $100,000 is a Nonstatutory Stock Option.
You consent to receive this Grant Notice, the Global Stock Option Agreement, the Plan, the Prospectus and any other Plan-related documents by electronic delivery and to participate in the Plan through an on-line or electronic system established and maintained by the Company or another third party designated by the Company.
You have read and are familiar with the provisions of the Plan, the Global Stock Option Agreement, the Notice of Exercise and the Prospectus. In the event of any conflict between the provisions in this Grant Notice, the Option Agreement, the Notice of Exercise, or the Prospectus and the terms of the Plan, the terms of the Plan shall control.
The Option Agreement sets forth the entire understanding between you and the Company regarding the acquisition of Class A Common Stock and supersedes all prior oral and written agreements, promises and/or representations on that subject with the exception of other equity awards previously granted to you and any written employment agreement, offer letter, severance agreement, written severance plan or policy, or other written agreement between the Company and you in each case that specifies the terms that should govern this Option.
Counterparts may be delivered via facsimile, electronic mail (including pdf or any electronic signature complying with the U.S. federal ESIGN Act of 2000, Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or other applicable law) or other transmission method and any counterpart so delivered will be deemed to have been duly and validly delivered and be valid and effective for all purposes.
2021 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
GLOBAL STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT
As reflected by your Stock Option Grant Notice (Grant Notice), Confluent, Inc. (the Company) has granted you an option under its 2021 Equity Incentive Plan (the Plan) to purchase a number of shares of Class A Common Stock at the exercise price indicated in your Grant Notice (the Option). The terms of your Option are subject to the Plan, the Grant Notice and this Global Stock Option Agreement (collectively, the Option Agreement). Capitalized terms not explicitly defined in this Option Agreement but defined in the Grant Notice or the Plan shall have the meanings set forth in the Grant Notice or Plan, as applicable.
The general terms and conditions applicable to your Option are as follows:
1. GOVERNING PLAN DOCUMENT. Your Option is subject to all the provisions of the Plan. Your Option is further subject to all interpretations, amendments, rules and regulations, which may from time to time be promulgated and adopted pursuant to the Plan. In the event of any conflict between the Option Agreement and the provisions of the Plan, the provisions of the Plan shall control.
(a) You may generally exercise the vested portion of your Option for whole shares of Class A Common Stock at any time during its term by delivery of payment of the exercise price and applicable withholding taxes and other required documentation to the Plan Administrator in accordance with the exercise procedures established by the Plan Administrator, which may include an electronic submission. Please review the Plan, which may restrict or prohibit your ability to exercise your Option during certain periods.
(b) To the extent permitted by Applicable Law, you may pay your Option exercise price as follows:
(i) cash, check, bank draft or money order;
(ii) subject to Company and/or Committee consent at the time of exercise, pursuant to a cashless exercise program as further described in the Plan if at the time of exercise the Class A Common Stock is publicly traded;
(iii) subject to Company and/or Committee consent at the time of exercise, by delivery of previously owned shares of Class A Common Stock as further described in the Plan; or
(iv) subject to Company and/or Committee consent at the time of exercise, if the Option is a Nonstatutory Stock Option, by a net exercise arrangement as further described in the Plan.
3. TERM. You may not exercise your Option before the commencement of its term or after its term expires. The term of your option commences on the Date of Grant and expires upon the earliest of the following:
(a) immediately upon the termination of your Continuous Service for Cause;
(b) three months after the termination of your Continuous Service for any reason other than Cause, Disability or death;
(c) 12 months after the termination of your Continuous Service due to your Disability;
(d) 18 months after your death if you die during your Continuous Service;
(e) immediately upon a Corporate Transaction if the Board has determined that the Option will terminate in connection with a Corporate Transaction,
(f) the Expiration Date indicated in your Grant Notice; or
(g) the day before the 10th anniversary of the Date of Grant.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, if you die during the period provided in Section 3(b) or 3(c) above, the term of your Option shall not expire until the earlier of (i) eighteen months after your death, (ii) upon any termination of the Option in connection with a Corporate Transaction, (iii) the Expiration Date indicated in your Grant Notice, or (iv) the day before the tenth anniversary of the Date of Grant. Additionally, the Post-Termination Exercise Period of your Option may be extended as provided in the Plan.
To obtain the federal income tax advantages associated with an Incentive Stock Option, the Code requires that at all times beginning on the date of grant of your Option and ending on the day three months before the date of your Options exercise, you must be an employee of the Company or an Affiliate, except in the event of your death or Disability. If the Company provides for the extended exercisability of your Option under certain circumstances for your benefit, your Option will not necessarily be treated as an Incentive Stock Option if you exercise your Option more than three months after the date your employment terminates.
4. RESPONSIBILITY FOR TAXES.
(a) You acknowledge that, regardless of any action taken by the Company, or if different, the Affiliate employing you (the Employer), the ultimate liability for all income tax (including U.S. federal, state, and local taxes and/or non-U.S. taxes), social insurance, payroll tax, fringe benefits tax, payment on account or other tax-related items related to your participation in the Plan and legally applicable to you (Tax-Related Items) is and remains your responsibility and may exceed the amount, if any, actually withheld by the Company or the Employer. You further acknowledge that the Company and/or the Employer (i) make no representations or undertakings regarding the treatment of any Tax-Related Items in connection with any aspect of the Option, including the grant of the Option, the vesting of the Option, the exercise of the Option, the subsequent sale of any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired pursuant to the Option and the receipt of any dividends; and (ii) do not commit to and are under no obligation to reduce or eliminate your liability for Tax-Related Items. Further, if you become subject to taxation in more than one country, you acknowledge that the Company and/or the Employer (or former employer, as applicable) may be required to withhold or account for Tax-Related Items in more than one country.
(b) Prior to any relevant taxable or tax withholding event, as applicable, you agree to make adequate arrangements satisfactory to the Company and/or the Employer to satisfy all Tax-Related Items. In this regard, you authorize the Company and/or the Employer, or their respective agents, at their discretion, to satisfy any applicable withholding obligations with regard to all Tax-Related Items by one or a combination of the following: (i) withholding from your wages or other cash compensation paid to you by the Company and/or the Employer; (ii) allowing or requiring you to make a cash payment to cover the Tax-Related Items; (iii) withholding from proceeds of the sale of shares of Class A Common Stock acquired upon exercise of this Option either through a voluntary sale or through a mandatory sale arranged by the Company (on your behalf pursuant to this authorization without further consent); (iv) withholding from the shares of Class A Common Stock to be issued to you upon exercise of this Option; or (v) any other method of withholding determined by the Company and permitted by applicable law; provided, however, that that if you are a Section 16 officer of the Company under the Exchange Act, then the Plan Administrator shall establish the method of withholding from alternatives (i)-(iv) herein and, if the Plan Administrator does not exercise its discretion prior to the applicable withholding event, then you shall be entitled to elect the method of withholding from the alternatives above.
(c) The Company and/or the Employer may withhold or account for Tax-Related Items by considering applicable statutory withholding amounts or other applicable withholding rates, including minimum and maximum rates. In the event of over-withholding, you may receive a refund of any over-withheld amount in cash (with no entitlement to the equivalent amount in shares of Class A Common Stock) from the Company or the Employer; otherwise, you may be able to seek a refund from the local tax authorities. In the event of under-withholding, you may be required to pay any additional Tax-Related Items directly to the applicable tax authority or to the Company and/or Employer. If the obligation for Tax-Related Items is satisfied by withholding in shares of Class A Common Stock, for tax purposes, you are deemed to have been issued the full number of shares of Class A Common Stock subject to the exercised Option, notwithstanding that a number of the shares of Class A Common Stock is held back solely for the purpose of paying the Tax-Related Items.
(d) You agree to pay to the Company or the Employer any amount of Tax-Related Items that the Company or the Employer may be required to withhold or account for as a result of your participation in the Plan that cannot be satisfied by the means previously described. The Company may refuse to issue or deliver the shares of Class A Common Stock, or the proceeds of the sale of shares of Class A Common Stock, if you fail to comply with your obligations in connection with the Tax-Related Items.
5. INCENTIVE STOCK OPTION DISPOSITION REQUIREMENT. If your Option is an Incentive Stock Option, you must notify the Company in writing within 15 days after the date of any disposition of any of the shares of the Class A Common Stock issued upon exercise of your Option that occurs within two years after the date of your Option grant or within one year after such shares of Class A Common Stock are transferred upon exercise of your Option.
6. NATURE OF GRANT. In accepting the Option, you acknowledge, understand and agree that:
(a) the Plan is established voluntarily by the Company, it is discretionary in nature, and may be amended, suspended or terminated by the Company at any time, to the extent permitted by the Plan;
(b) the grant of the Option is exceptional, voluntary and occasional and does not create any contractual or other right to receive future grants of options or benefits in lieu of options, even if options have been granted in the past;
(c) all decisions with respect to future Options or other grants, if any, will be at the sole discretion of the Company;
(d) the Option grant and your participation in the Plan shall not create a right to employment or be interpreted as forming or amending an employment or service contract with the Company, the Employer or any Affiliate;
(e) you are voluntarily participating in the Plan;
(f) the Option and any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired under the Plan, and the income from and value of same, are not intended to replace any pension rights or compensation;
(g) the Option and any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired under the Plan, and the income from and value of same, are not part of normal or expected compensation for any purpose, including, without limitation, calculating any severance, resignation, termination, redundancy, dismissal, end-of-service payments, holiday pay, bonuses, long-service awards, pension or retirement or welfare benefits or similar mandatory payments;
(h) the future value of the shares of Class A Common Stock underlying the Option is unknown, indeterminable, and cannot be predicted with certainty;
(i) if the underlying shares of Class A Common Stock do not increase in value, the Option will have no value;
(j) if you exercise the Option and acquire shares of Class A Common Stock, the value of such shares of Class A Common Stock may increase or decrease in value, even below the exercise price;
(k) for purposes of the Option, your Continuous Service will be considered terminated as of the date you are no longer actively providing services to the Company or one of its Affiliates (regardless of the reason for such termination and whether or not later found to be invalid or in breach of employment laws in the jurisdiction where you are employed or the terms of your employment agreement, if any), and unless otherwise expressly provided in this Agreement or determined by the Company, (i) your right to vest in the Option under the Plan, if any, and (ii) the period (if any) during which you may exercise the Option after such termination of Continuous Service will terminate as of such date; and will not be extended by any statutory notice period or any period of garden leave or similar period mandated under employment laws in the jurisdiction where you are employed or the terms of your employment agreement, if any; the Plan Administrator shall have the exclusive discretion to determine when you are no longer actively providing services for purposes of the Option (including whether you may still be considered to be providing services while on a leave of absence);
(l) no claim or entitlement to compensation or damages shall arise from forfeiture of the Option resulting from your termination of Continuous Service (for any reason whatsoever, whether or not later found to be invalid or in breach of employment laws in the jurisdiction where you are employed, or the terms of your employment agreement, if any);
(m) unless otherwise agreed with the Company in writing, the Option and any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired under the Plan, and the income from and value of same, are not granted as consideration for, or in connection with, any service you may provide as a director of the Company or any Affiliate; and
(n) neither the Company, the Employer or any Affiliate shall be liable for any foreign exchange rate fluctuation between your local currency and the United States Dollar that may affect the value of the Option or of any amounts due to you pursuant to the exercise of the Option or the subsequent sale of any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired upon exercise.
7. ELECTRONIC DELIVERY AND PARTICIPATION. The Company may, in its sole discretion, decide to deliver any documents related to current or future participation in the Plan by electronic means or request your consent to participate in the Plan by electronic means. You hereby consent to receive such documents by electronic delivery and agree to participate in the Plan through an on-line or electronic system established and maintained by the Company or a third party designated by the Company.
8. TRANSFERABILITY. Except as otherwise provided in the Plan, your Option is not transferable, except by will or by the applicable laws of descent and distribution, and is exercisable during your life only by you.
9. CORPORATE TRANSACTION. Your Option is subject to the terms of any agreement governing a Corporate Transaction involving the Company, including, without limitation, a provision for the appointment of a stockholder representative that is authorized to act on your behalf with respect to any escrow, indemnities and any contingent consideration.
10. NO LIABILITY FOR TAXES. As a condition to accepting the Option, you hereby (a) agree to not make any claim against the Company, or any of its Officers, Directors, Employees or Affiliates related to Tax-Related Items arising from the Option or other Company compensation and (b) acknowledge that you were advised to consult with your own personal tax, financial and other legal advisors regarding the tax consequences of the Option and have either done so or knowingly and voluntarily declined to do so. Additionally, you acknowledge that the Option is exempt from Section 409A for U.S. tax purposes, only if the exercise price is at least equal to the fair market value of the Class A Common Stock on the date of grant as determined by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service and there is no other impermissible deferral of compensation associated with the Option. Additionally, as a condition to accepting the Option, you agree not make any claim against the Company, or any of its Officers, Directors, Employees or Affiliates in the event that the U.S. Internal Revenue Service asserts that such exercise is less than the fair market value of the Class A Common Stock on the date of grant as subsequently determined by the Internal Revenue Service.
11. SEVERABILITY. If any part of this Option Agreement or the Plan is declared by any court or governmental authority to be unlawful or invalid, such unlawfulness or invalidity will not invalidate any portion of this Option Agreement or the Plan not declared to be unlawful or invalid. Any Section of this Option Agreement (or part of such a Section) so declared to be unlawful or invalid will, if possible, be construed in a manner which will give effect to the terms of such Section or part of a Section to the fullest extent possible while remaining lawful and valid.
12. WAIVER. You acknowledge that a waiver by the Company of a breach of any provision of this Option Agreement shall not operate or be construed as a waiver of any other provision of this Option Agreement, or of any subsequent breach of this Option Agreement.
13. NO ADVICE REGARDING GRANT. The Company is not providing any tax, legal or financial advice, nor is the Company making any recommendations regarding your participation in the Plan, or your acquisition or sale of the underlying shares of Class A Common Stock.
14. DATA PRIVACY NOTICE AND CONSENT. As a condition of your participation in the Plan and the grant of the Option, you must agree to the terms and conditions of the Data Privacy Addendum attached at the end of this Agreement by signing the Data Privacy Addendum or otherwise indicating your acceptance in the manner determined by the Company.
15. LANGUAGE. You acknowledge that you are sufficiently proficient in the English language, or have consulted with an advisor who is sufficiently proficient in English, so as to allow you to understand the terms and conditions of this Option Agreement. If you have received this Option Agreement or any other documents related to the Plan translated into a language other than English, and if the meaning of the translated version is different than the English version, the English version will control.
16. GOVERNING LAW/VENUE. The Option Agreement and any controversy arising out of or relating to the Option Agreement shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the internal laws of the State of Delaware, without regard to conflict of law principles that would result in any application of any law other than the law of the State of Delaware. For purposes of any action, lawsuit or other proceeding brought to enforce the Option Agreement, relating to it, or arising from it, the parties hereby submit to and consent to the sole and exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Santa Clara County, California, or the federal courts for the United States for the Northern District of California, and no other courts where this grant is made and/or to be performed.
17. INSIDER TRADING RESTRICTIONS / MARKET ABUSE LAW. You may be subject to insider trading restrictions and/or market abuse laws based on the exchange on which the shares of Class A Common Stock are listed and in applicable jurisdictions, including the United States, your country and the designated brokers country, which may affect your ability to accept, acquire, sell or otherwise dispose of shares of Class A Common Stock, rights to shares of Class A Common Stock (i.e., Options) or rights linked to the value of the shares of Class A Common Stock under the Plan during such times as you are considered to have inside information regarding the Company (as defined by the laws in the applicable jurisdiction(s)). Local insider trading laws and regulations may prohibit the cancellation or amendment of orders you placed before you possessed inside information. Furthermore, you could be prohibited from (i) disclosing the inside information to any third party, which may include fellow employees and (ii) tipping third parties or causing them otherwise to buy or sell securities. Any restrictions under these laws or regulations are separate from and in addition to any restrictions that may be imposed under the Companys insider trading policy, or any other applicable insider trading policy then in effect. You acknowledge that you are responsible for complying with any applicable restrictions and are encouraged to speak with your personal legal advisor for further details regarding any applicable insider-trading and/or market-abuse laws in your country.
18. FOREIGN ASSET/ACCOUNT, EXCHANGE CONTROL AND TAX REPORTING. You may be subject to foreign asset/account, exchange control and/or tax reporting requirements as a result of the acquisition, holding and/or transfer of shares of Class A Common Stock or cash (including dividends and the proceeds arising from the sale of shares of Class A Common Stock) derived from your participation in the Plan in, to and/or from a brokerage/bank account or legal entity located outside your country. The Applicable Laws in your country may require that you report such accounts, assets and balances therein, the value thereof and/or the transactions related thereto to the applicable authorities in such country. You may also be required to repatriate sale proceeds or other funds received as a result of your participation in the Plan to your country through a designated bank or broker within a certain time after receipt. You acknowledge that it is your responsibility to be compliant with such regulations and you are encouraged to consult with your personal legal advisor for any details.
19. IMPOSITION OF OTHER REQUIREMENTS. The Company reserves the right to impose other requirements on your participation in the Plan, on the Option and on any shares of Class A Common Stock acquired under the Plan, to the extent the Company determines it is necessary or advisable for legal or administrative reasons, and to require you to sign any additional agreements or undertakings that may be necessary to accomplish the foregoing.
20. OTHER DOCUMENTS. You hereby acknowledge receipt of or the right to receive a document providing the information required by Rule 428(b)(1) promulgated under the Securities Act, which includes the Prospectus. In addition, you acknowledge receipt of the Companys Trading Policy.
21. QUESTIONS. If you have questions regarding these or any other terms and conditions applicable to your Option, including a summary of the applicable federal income tax consequences please see the Prospectus.
* * *
DATA PRIVACY ADDENDUM
GLOBAL STOCK OPTION AGREEMENT
2021 EQUITY INCENTIVE PLAN
Capitalized terms not defined herein shall have the meanings ascribed to them in the Plan or the Global Stock Option Agreement.
Data Privacy Notice and Consent.
(a) Data Collection and Usage. The Company and the Employer collect, process and use certain personal information about you, including, but not limited to, your name, home address, email address and telephone number, date of birth, social insurance number, passport or other identification number, salary, nationality, job title, any shares or directorships held in the Company, details of all Options or any other entitlement to shares awarded, canceled, exercised, vested, unvested or outstanding in your favor (Data), for the purposes of implementing, administering and managing the plan. The legal basis, where required, for the processing of Data is your consent.
(b) Stock Plan Administration Service Providers. The Company transfers Data to E*TRADE Financial Corporate Services, Inc., E*TRADE Securities LLC and their affiliated companies (the Designated Broker), an independent service provider based in the United States, which is assisting the Company with the implementation, administration and management of the Plan. The Company may select a different service provider or additional service providers and share Data with such other provider serving in a similar manner. You may be asked to agree on separate terms and data processing practices with the Designated Broker or other service providers, with such agreement being a condition to the ability to participate in the Plan. The Company and the Designated Broker are based in the United States. Your country or jurisdiction may have different data privacy laws and protections than the United States. The Companys legal basis, where required, for the transfer of Data is your consent.
(c) Data Retention. The Company will hold and use the Data only as long as is necessary to implement, administer and manage your participation in the Plan, or as required to comply with legal or regulatory obligations, including under tax, exchange control, labor and securities laws. This period may extend beyond your period of employment with the Employer.
(d) Voluntariness and Consequences of Consent Denial or Withdrawal. Participation in the Plan is voluntary and you are providing the consents herein on a purely voluntary basis. If you do not consent, or if you later seek to revoke your consent, your salary from or employment or other service with the Employer will not be affected.
(e) Data Subject Rights. You may have a number of rights under data privacy laws in your jurisdiction. Depending on where you are based, such rights may include the right to (i) request access or copies of Data the Company processes, (ii) rectification of incorrect Data, (iii) deletion of Data, (iv) restrictions on processing of Data, (v) portability of Data, (vi) lodge complaints with competent authorities in your jurisdiction, and/or (vii) receive a list with the names and addresses of any potential recipients of Data. To receive clarification regarding these rights or to exercise these rights, you can contact your local human resources representative.
(f) Declaration of Consent. By signing this Data Privacy Addendum (whether in hard copy or electronically), you are declaring that you agree with the data processing practices described herein and consent to the collection, processing and use of Data by the Company and the transfer of Data to the recipients mentioned above, including recipients located in countries which do not adduce an adequate level of protection from a European (or other non-U.S.) data protection law perspective, for the purposes described above.