Incentive Stock Option Agreement dated November 16, 2018 by and between the Company and Frederick L. Glick
CHANTICLEER HOLDINGS, INC.
2014 STOCK INCENTIVE PLAN
Stock Option Agreement
THIS AGREEMENT (together with Schedule A attached hereto, this “Agreement”), made effective the 16th day of November 2018 between Chanticleer Holdings, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the “Corporation”), and Frederick L. Glick, an Employee of the Corporation or an Affiliate (the “Participant”).
R E C I T A L S
In furtherance of the purposes of the Chanticleer Holdings, Inc. 2014 Stock Incentive Plan, as it may be hereafter amended (the “Plan”), and in consideration of the services of the Participant and such other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, the Corporation and the Participant hereby agree as follows:
1. Incorporation of Plan. The rights and duties of the Corporation and the Participant under this Agreement shall in all respects be subject to and governed by the provisions of the Plan and the Employment Agreement between Participant and the Corporation dated November 16, 2018 (“Employment Agreement”), copies of which are delivered herewith or have been previously provided to the Participant, and the terms of which are incorporated herein by reference. In the event of any conflict between the provisions in the Agreement and those of the Plan or Employment Agreement, the provisions of the Plan and Employment Agreement shall govern. Unless otherwise defined herein, capitalized terms in this Agreement shall have the same definitions as set forth in the Plan.
2. Grant of Option; Term of Option. The Corporation hereby grants to the Participant, pursuant to the Plan, as a matter of separate inducement and agreement in connection with his employment with the Corporation, and not in lieu of any salary or other compensation for his services, the right and option (the “Option”) to purchase all or any part of an aggregate of the number of shares (the “Shares”) of the Common Stock (the “Common Stock”), at a purchase price (the “Option Price”) both as indicated on Schedule A of this Option Agreement , which Schedule is incorporated herein by reference. The Option to purchase Shares shall be designated as an Incentive Option. To the extent that the Option is designated as an Incentive Option and such Option does not qualify as an Incentive Option, the Option (or portion thereof) shall be treated as a Nonqualified Option. Except as otherwise provided in the Plan, the Option will expire if not exercised in full before the date indicated on Schedule A of this Option Agreement (the “Expiration Date”) (such term commencing with the Grant Date and ending on the Expiration Date being referred to as the “Option Period”).
3. Exercise of Option. The Option shall become exercisable on the date or dates and subject to such conditions set forth in the Plan, this Agreement, the Employment Agreement and Schedule A. To the extent that the Option is exercisable but is not exercised, the Option shall accumulate and be exercisable by the Participant in whole or in part at any time prior to expiration of the Option, subject to the terms of the Plan and this Agreement. Upon the exercise of an Option in whole or in part, payment of the Option Price in accordance with the provisions of the Plan and this Agreement, and satisfaction of such other conditions as may be established by the Administrator, the Corporation shall promptly deliver to the Participant a certificate or certificates for the Shares purchased. The total number of Shares that may be acquired upon exercise of the Option shall be rounded down to the nearest whole share. No fractional shares will be issued. Payment of the Option Price may be made in cash or cash equivalent; provided that, where permitted by the Administrator and Applicable Laws (and subject to such terms and conditions as may be established by the Administrator), payment may also be made (i) by delivery (by either actual delivery or attestation) of shares of Common Stock owned by the Participant at the time of exercise for a time period, if any, of at least six months (or such other time period, if any, necessary to avoid variable accounting or other accounting consequences deemed unacceptable to the Administrator); (ii) by shares of Common Stock withheld upon exercise but only if and to the extent that payment by such method does not result in variable accounting or other accounting consequences deemed unacceptable to the Administrator; (iii) with respect only to purchases upon exercise of the Option only after a public market for the Common Stock exists, by delivery of written notice of exercise to the Corporation and delivery to a broker of written notice of exercise and irrevocable instructions to promptly deliver to the Corporation the amount of sale or loan proceeds to pay the Option Price; (iv) by such other payment methods as may be approved by the Administrator and which are acceptable under Applicable Laws; or (v) by any combination of the foregoing methods. Shares tendered or withheld in payment of the Option Price shall be valued at their Fair Market Value on the date of exercise, as determined by the Administrator.
4. Effect of Change in Control.
(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of the Plan to the contrary, and except as may be otherwise provided in the Employment Agreement or required under Code Section 409A, related regulations or other guidance, in the event of a Change in Control (as defined in Section 4(c) herein), the Option, if outstanding as of the date of such Change in Control, shall become fully exercisable, whether or not then otherwise exercisable.
(b) For the purposes herein, except as may be otherwise required in order to comply with Code Section 409A, a “Change in Control” shall be deemed to have occurred on the earliest of the following dates:
(i) The date any entity or person shall have become the beneficial owner of, or shall have obtained voting control over, fifty percent (50%) or more of the outstanding Common Stock of the Corporation;
(ii) The date the shareholders of the Corporation approve a definitive agreement (A) to merge or consolidate the Corporation with or into another corporation or other business entity (each, a “corporation”), in which the Corporation is not the continuing or surviving corporation or pursuant to which any shares of Common Stock of the Corporation would be converted into cash, securities or other property of another corporation, in each case other than a merger or consolidation of the Corporation in which the holders of Common Stock immediately prior to the merger or consolidation continue to own immediately after the merger or consolidation at least fifty percent (50%) of the Common Stock, or, if the Corporation is not the surviving corporation, the common stock (or other voting securities) of the surviving corporation; provided, however, that if consummation of such merger or consolidation is subject to the approval of federal, state or other regulatory authorities, then, unless the Administrator determines otherwise, a “Change in Control” shall not be deemed to occur until the later of the date of shareholder approval of such merger or consolidation or the date of final regulatory approval of such merger or consolidation; or (B) to sell or otherwise dispose of all or substantially all the assets of the Corporation; or
(iii) The date there shall have been a change in a majority of the Board of Directors of the Corporation within a 12-month period unless the nomination for election by the Corporation’s shareholders of each new Director was approved by the vote of two-thirds of the members of the Board (or a committee of the Board, if nominations are approved by a Board committee rather than the Board) then still in office who were in office at the beginning of the 12-month period.
(c) Notwithstanding the foregoing, a Change in Control shall not be deemed to have occurred in the event the Corporation forms a holding company as a result of which the holders of the Corporation’s voting securities immediately prior to the transaction hold, in approximately the same relative proportions as they held prior to the transaction, substantially all of the voting securities of a holding company owning all of the Corporation’s voting securities after the completion of the transaction.
(For the purposes herein, the term “person” shall mean any individual, corporation, partnership, group, association or other person, as such term is defined in Section 13(d)(3) or Section 14(d)(2) of the Exchange Act, other than the Corporation, a subsidiary of the Corporation or any employee benefit plan(s) sponsored or maintained by the Corporation or any subsidiary thereof, and the term “beneficial owner” shall have the meaning given the term in Rule 13d-3 under the Exchange Act.)
The Administrator shall have full and final authority, in its discretion, to determine whether a Change in Control of the Corporation has occurred pursuant to the above definition, the date of the occurrence of such Change in Control and any incidental matters relating thereto.
5. Termination of Employment. The Option shall not be exercised unless the Participant is, at the time of exercise, an Employee and has been an Employee continuously since the date the Option was granted, subject to the following (except as may be otherwise provided in the Employment Agreement between the Participant and the Corporation):
(a) The employment relationship of the Participant shall be treated as continuing intact for any period that the Participant is on military or sick leave or other bona fide leave of absence, provided that the period of such leave does not exceed three months, or, if longer, as long as the Participant’s right to reemployment is guaranteed either by statute or by contract. The employment relationship of the Participant shall also be treated as continuing intact while the Participant is not in active service because of Disability. The Administrator shall have sole authority to determine whether the Participant has incurred a Disability, and, if applicable, the Participant’s Termination Date.
(b) If the employment of the Participant is terminated because of Disability or death, the Option may be exercised only to the extent exercisable on the Participant’s Termination Date. The Option must be exercised, if at all, prior to the first to occur of the following, whichever shall be applicable: (X) the close of the one-year period following the Termination Date; or (Y) the close of the Option Period. In the event of the Participant’s death, the Option shall be exercisable by such person or persons as shall have acquired the right to exercise the Option by will or by the laws of intestate succession.
(c) If the employment of the Participant is terminated for any reason other than Disability, death or for Cause, the Option may be exercised only to the extent exercisable on his Termination Date. The Option must be exercised, if at all, prior to the first to occur of the following, whichever shall be applicable: (X) the close of the period of three months next succeeding the Termination Date; or (Y) the close of the Option period. If the Participant dies following such termination of employment and prior to the earlier of the dates specified in (X) or (Y) of this subparagraph (c), the Participant shall be treated as having died while employed under subparagraph (b) (treating for this purpose the Participant’s date of termination of employment as the Termination Date). In the event of the Participant’s death, the Option shall be exercisable by such person or persons as shall have acquired the right to exercise the Option by will or by the laws of intestate succession.
(d) If the employment of the Participant is terminated for Cause, the Option shall lapse and no longer be exercisable as of his Termination Date, as determined by the Administrator. For the purposes of the Agreement, “Cause” shall mean the Participant’s termination of employment or service resulting from his (i) termination for “cause” as defined under the Participant’s employment, consulting or other agreement with the Corporation or an Affiliate, if any, or (ii) if the Participant has not entered into any such employment, consulting or other agreement (or if any such agreement does not address the effect of a “cause” termination), then the Participant’s termination shall be for “Cause” if termination results due to the Participant’s (A) dishonesty; (B) refusal to perform his duties for the Corporation or continued failure to perform his duties to the Corporation in a manner acceptable to the Corporation, as determined by the Administrator or its designee; (C) engaging in fraudulent conduct; or (D) engaging in conduct that could be materially damaging to the Corporation without a reasonable good faith belief that such conduct was in the best interest of the Corporation.
6. No Right of Continued Employment or Service; Forfeiture of Award. Neither the Plan, the grant of the Option nor any other action related to the Plan shall confer upon the Participant any right to continue in the employment or service of the Corporation or an Affiliate or to interfere in any way with the right of the Corporation or an Affiliate to terminate the Participant’s employment or service at any time. Except as otherwise expressly provided in the Plan, Employment Agreement or this Agreement or as determined by the Administrator, all rights of the Participant with respect to the Option shall terminate upon termination of the Participant’s employment or service.
7. Nontransferability of Option. To the extent that this Option is designated as an Incentive Option, the Option shall not be transferable (including by sale, assignment, pledge or hypothecation) other than by will or the laws or intestate succession, or, in the Administrator’s discretion, as may otherwise be permitted in accordance with Treas. Reg. Section 1.421-1(b)(2) or any successor provision thereto. To the extent that this Option is designated as a Nonqualified Option, the Option shall not be transferable (including by sale, assignment, pledge or hypothecation) other than by will or the laws of intestate succession, except as may be permitted by the Administrator in a manner consistent with the registration provisions of the Securities Act. Except as may be permitted by the preceding, the Option shall be exercisable during the Participant’s lifetime only by him or by his guardian or legal representative. The designation of a beneficiary in accordance with the Plan does not constitute a transfer.
8. Superseding Agreement; Binding Effect. This Agreement supersedes any statements, representations or agreements of the Corporation with respect to the grant of the Option or any related rights, and the Participant hereby waives any rights or claims related to any such statements, representations or agreements. This Agreement shall be binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of the parties hereto and their respective executors, administrators, next-of-kin, successors and assigns. This Agreement does not supersede or amend any non-competition agreement, non-solicitation agreement, employment agreement, consulting agreement or any other similar agreement between the Participant and the Corporation, including, but not limited to, any restrictive covenants contained in such agreements.
9. Representations and Warranties of Participant. The Participant represents and warrants to the Corporation that:
(a) Agrees to Terms of the Plan and Agreement. The Participant has received a copy of the Plan, has read and understands the terms of the Plan and this Agreement, and agrees to be bound by their terms and conditions.
(b) Access to Information. The Participant has had access to all information regarding the Corporation and its present and prospective business, assets, liabilities and financial condition that the Participant reasonably considers important in making a decision to acquire the Shares subject to the Option, and the Participant has had ample opportunity to ask questions of, and to receive answers from, the Corporation’s representatives concerning such matters and this investment.
(c) Understanding of Risks. The Participant is fully aware of: (i) the speculative nature of the investment in the Shares; (ii) the financial hazards involved in investment in the Shares; (iii) the lack of liquidity of the Shares subject to the Option and the restrictions on transferability of such Shares; (iv) the qualifications and backgrounds of the management of the Corporation; and (v) the tax consequences of investment in the Shares. The Participant is capable of evaluating the merits and risks of this investment, has the ability to protect his own interests in this transaction and is financially capable of bearing a total loss from this investment.
(d) Restrictions on Transfer. Participants agrees not to sell any Shares of Common Stock he receives under this Agreement at a time when applicable laws, regulations, Corporation trading policies (including the Corporation’s Insider Trading Policy) or an agreement between the Corporation and its underwriters prohibit a sale. This restriction will apply as long as Participant’s employment continues and for such period of time after the termination of Participant’s employment as the Corporation and its counsel reasonable determine or as may be required by applicable law.
(e) Tax Consequences. The Corporation has made no warranties or representations to the Participant with respect to the tax treatment and consequences (including but not limited to income tax consequences) related to the transactions contemplated by this Agreement, and the Participant is in no manner relying on the Corporation or its representatives for an assessment of such tax consequences. The Participant acknowledges that there may be adverse tax consequences upon exercise of the Option, and upon the sale of the Shares obtained upon exercise of the Option, and that the Participant should consult a tax advisor prior to such exercise or disposition. The Participant acknowledges that he has been advised that he should consult with his own attorney, accountant and/or tax advisor regarding the decision to enter into this Agreement and the consequences thereof. The Participant also acknowledges that the Corporation has no responsibility to take or refrain from taking any actions in order to achieve a certain tax result for the Participant. The Participant acknowledges that exercise of an Incentive Option must generally occur within three months of termination of employment, regardless of any longer period allowed by this Agreement.
10. Compliance with Applicable Laws, Rules and Regulations. The Corporation may impose such restrictions on the Option, the Shares and any other benefits underlying the Option as it may deem advisable, including without limitation restrictions under the federal securities laws, the requirements of any stock exchange or similar organization and any blue sky, state or foreign securities laws applicable to such securities. Notwithstanding any other provision in the Plan or the Agreement to the contrary, the Corporation shall not be obligated to issue, deliver or transfer shares of Common Stock, make any other distribution of benefits under the Plan, or take any other action, unless such delivery, distribution or action is in compliance with Applicable Laws (including but not limited to the requirements of the Securities Act). The Corporation may cause a restrictive legend to be placed on any certificate issued pursuant to the Option hereunder in such form as may be prescribed from time to time by Applicable Laws or as may be advised by legal counsel.
11. Changes in Status. Unless the Administrator determines otherwise, the Option shall not be affected by any change in the terms, conditions or status of the Participant’s employment or service, provided that the Participant continues to be an employee of, or in service to, the Corporation or an Affiliate.
12. Governing Law; Jurisdiction. Except as otherwise provided in the Plan, this Agreement shall be construed and enforced according to the laws of the State of Delaware, without regard to the principles of conflicts of laws, and in accordance with applicable federal laws of the United States. Each party agrees and submits to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state and federal courts sitting in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, in any action or proceeding arising out of or relating to this Agreement and agree that all claims in respect of the action or proceeding may be heard and determined in any such court.
13. Amendment and Termination; Waiver. Subject to the terms of the Plan, this Agreement may be amended, altered and/or terminated at any time by the Administrator; provided, however, that any such amendment, alteration or termination of the Option shall not, without the consent of the Participant, materially adversely affect the rights of the Participant with respect to the Option. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Administrator shall have unilateral authority to amend the Plan and this Agreement (without Participant consent and without shareholder approval, unless such approval is required by Applicable Laws) to the extent necessary to comply with Applicable Laws or changes to Applicable Laws (including but not limited to Code Section 409A and Code Section 422 or related regulations or other guidance and federal securities laws). The Administrator shall have unilateral authority to make adjustments to the terms and conditions of the Option in recognition of unusual or nonrecurring events affecting the Corporation or any Affiliate, or the financial statements of the Corporation or any Affiliate, or of changes in accounting principles, if the Administrator determines that such adjustments are appropriate in order to prevent dilution or enlargement of the benefits or potential benefits intended to be made available under the Plan or necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable accounting principles. The waiver by the Corporation of a breach of any provision of the Agreement by the Participant shall not operate or be construed as a waiver of any subsequent breach by the Participant.
14. No Rights as a Shareholder and Adjustments for Changes in Capital and Corporate Structure. The Participant and his legal representatives, legatees, distributees or transferees shall not be deemed to be the holder of any Shares subject to the Option and shall not have any rights of a shareholder unless and until certificates for such Shares have been issued and delivered to him or them. The Option granted hereunder and Shares subject to the Option shall be subject to the provisions of Section 5(d) of the Plan relating to adjustments for recapitalizations, reclassifications and other changes in the Corporation’s corporate structure and for material corporate transactions.
15. Withholding. The Participant acknowledges that the Corporation shall require the Participant to pay the Corporation in cash the amount of any tax or other amount required by any governmental authority to be withheld and paid over by the Corporation to such authority for the account of the Participant, and the Participant agrees, as a condition to the grant of the Option and delivery of the Shares, to satisfy such obligations. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Administrator may establish procedures to permit the Participant to satisfy such obligations in whole or in part, and any other local, state, federal or foreign income tax obligations relating to the Option, by electing (the “election”) to have the Corporation withhold shares of Common Stock from the Shares to which the Participant is entitled. The number of shares to be withheld shall have a Fair Market Value as of the date that the amount of tax to be withheld is determined as nearly equal as possible to (but not exceeding) the amount of such obligations being satisfied. Each election must be made in writing to the Administrator in accordance with election procedures established by the Administrator.
16. Administration. The authority to construe and interpret this Agreement and the Plan, and to administer all aspects of the Plan, shall be vested in the Administrator, and the Administrator shall have all powers with respect to this Agreement as are provided in the Plan. Any interpretation of the Agreement by the Administrator and any decision made by it with respect to the Agreement shall be final and binding.
17. Notices. Except as may be otherwise provided by the Plan or determined by the Administrator, any written notices provided for in this Agreement or the Plan shall be in writing and shall be deemed sufficiently given if either hand delivered or if sent by fax or overnight courier, or by postage paid first class mail. Notices sent by mail shall be deemed received three business days after mailed but in no event later than the date of actual receipt. Notices shall be directed, if to the Participant, at the Participant’s address indicated by the Corporation’s records, or if to the Corporation, at the Corporation’s principal office.
18. Severability. If any provision of the Agreement shall be held illegal or invalid for any reason, such illegality or invalidity shall not affect the remaining parts of the Agreement, and the Agreement shall be construed and enforced as if the illegal or invalid provision had not been included.
19. Notice of Disposition. To the extent that the Option is designated as an Incentive Option, if Shares of Common Stock acquired upon exercise of the Option are disposed of within two years following the date of grant or one year following the transfer of such Shares to the Participant upon exercise, the Participant shall, promptly following such disposition, notify the Corporation in writing of the date and terms of such disposition and provide such other information regarding the disposition as the Administrator may reasonably require.
20. Right of Offset. Notwithstanding any other provision of the Plan or the Agreement, the Corporation may reduce the amount of any payment otherwise payable to or on behalf of the Participant by the amount of any obligation of the Participant to the Corporation, and the Participant shall be deemed to have consented to such reduction.
21. Cash Settlement. Notwithstanding any provision of the Plan or this Agreement to the contrary, the Administrator may (subject to any requirements imposed under Code Section 409A, related regulations or other guidance) cause the Option (or portion thereof) to be cancelled in consideration of an alternative award or cash payment of an equivalent cash value, as determined by the Administrator in its sole discretion, made to the Participant.
22. Counterparts; Further Instruments. This Agreement may be executed in two or more counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, but all of which together shall constitute one and the same instrument. The parties hereto agree to execute such further instruments and to take such further action as may be reasonably necessary to carry out the purposes and intent of this Agreement.
[Signature Page to Follow]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, this Agreement has been executed in behalf of the Corporation and by the Participant effective as of the day and year first above written.
|CHANTICLEER HOLDINGS, INC.|
|By:||/s/ Michael D. Pruitt|
|Michael D. Pruitt, CEO|
|Kathi Fath, Secretary|
|By:||/s/ Frederick L. Glick|
|Frederick L. Glick|
CHANTICLEER HOLDINGS, INC.
2014 STOCK INCENTIVE PLAN
Stock Option Agreement
|Frederick L. Glick|
|Number granted:||5-year Incentive Stock Option to purchase 10,000 shares of common stock , $.0001 par value per share, (“Shares”) with an exercise price of $3.50; and|
|5-year Incentive Stock Option to purchase 10,000 Shares with an exercise price of $4.50|
|Date of Grant:||November 16, 2018|
|Schedule for Time-related Vesting and Settlement||Except as provided under the Agreement, Option vests as to one-eighth of the underlying Shares of common stock in eight installments on the first day of each fiscal quarter during Optionee’s continued employment with the Corporation commencing January 1, 2019|
|Expiration Date||November 16, 2023 unless earlier terminated as provided in Governing Documents|