Form of Warrant to Purchase Series A Convertible Preferred Stock
CERTAIN CONFIDENTIAL PORTIONS OF THIS EXHIBIT HAVE BEEN OMITTED AND REPLACED WITH [***]. SUCH IDENTIFIED INFORMATION HAS BEEN EXCLUDED FROM THIS EXHIBIT BECAUSE IT IS (I) NOT MATERIAL AND (II) WOULD LIKELY CAUSE COMPETITIVE HARM TO THE COMPANY IF DISCLOSED.
THIS WARRANT AND THE UNDERLYING SECURITIES HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933, AS AMENDED (THE SECURITIES ACT) OR THE SECURITIES LA\-VS OF ANY STATE OF THE UNITED STATES. THE SECURITIES MAY NOT BE SOLD, OFFERED FOR SALE, PLEDGED, HYPOTHECATED, TRANSFERRED OR ASSIGNED IN THE ABSENCE OF AN EFFECTIVE REGISTRATION STATEMENT FOR THE SECURITIES UNDER APPLICABLE SECURITIES LAWS OR UNLESS OFFERED, SOLD, PLEDGED, HYPOTHECATED OR TRANSFERRED PURSUANT TO AN AVAILABLE EXEMPTION FROM THE REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS OF THOSE LAWS. THE COMPANY SHALL BE ENTITLED TO REQUIRE AN OPINION OF COUNSEL SATISFACTORY TO THE COMPANY THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED TO THE EXTENT THAT AN OPINION IS REQUIRED PURSUANT TO THE AGREEMENT UNDER WHICH THE SECURITIES WERE ISSUED.
WARRANT TO PURCHASE SERIES A CONVERTIBLE PREFERRED STOCK
No. PA -
Series A Preferred Shares
April 5, 2016
Void After April 5, 2021
THIS CERTIFIES THAT, for value received and subject to the terms and conditions set forth below, _______________, or assigns (the Holder), is entitled to subscribe for and purchase a: the Exercise Price (defined below) from Advantagene, Inc., a Delaware corporation (the Company) ( , ) shares of the Series A Convertible Preferred Stock of the Company, $0.01 par value (the Preferred Stock), subject to adjustment as provided herein.
1. DEFINITIONS. As used herein, the following terms shall have the following respective meanings:
(a) Exercise Period shall mean the period commencing on the date of issuance and ending five (5) years from such date, unless sooner terminated as provided below.
(b) Exercise Price shall mean $3.20 per share, subject to adjustment pursuant to Section 5 below.
(c) Warrant Shares shall mean the shares of the Companys Series A Convertible Preferred Stock issuable upon exercise of this Warrant, subject to adjustment pursuant to the terms herein, including but not limited to adjustment pursuant to Section 5 below.
2. EXERCISE OF WARRANT.
2.1. Method of Exercise. The rights represented by this Warrant may be exercised in whole or in part at any time during the Exercise Period, by delivery of the following to the Company:
(a) An executed Notice of Exercise in the form attached hereto;
(b) Payment of the Exercise Price in cash or by check or wire transfer of immediately available funds; and
(c) This Warrant.
Upon the exercise of the rights represented by this Warrant, shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock shall be issued for the Warrant Shares so purchased, and shall be registered in the name of the Holder or persons affiliated with the Holder, if the Holder so designates, on or before the third (3rd) business day after the rights represented by this Warrant shall have been so exercised and shall be issued in certificate form and delivered to the Holder, if so requested.
The person in whose name any Warrant Shares are to be issued upon exercise of this Warrant shall be deemed to have become the holder of record of such shares on the date on which this Warrant was surrendered and payment of the Exercise Price was made, irrespective of the date of issuance of the shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock, except that, if the date of such surrender and payment is a date when the stock transfer books of the Company are closed, such person shall be deemed to have become the holder of such shares at the close of business on the next succeeding date on which the stock transfer books are open.
2.2. Partial Exercise. If this Warrant is exercised in part only, the Company shall, upon surrender of this Warrant, execute and deliver, within 10 days of the date of exercise, a new Warrant evidencing the rights of the Holder, or such other person as shall be designated in the Notice of Exercise, to purchase the balance of the Warrant Shares purchasable hereunder. If the Holder exercises this Warrant or attempts to exercise this Warrant before the Company shall have delivered to the Holder a new Warrant as contemplated above, then the Holder shall be deemed to have validly exercised this Warrant pursuant to this Section 2 without having complied with the requirements of Section 2.1(c). In no event shall this Warrant be exercised for a fractional Warrant Share, and the Company shall not distribute a Warrant exercisable for a fractional Warrant Share. Fractional Warrant Shares shall be treated as provided in Section 7 hereof.
3. COVENANTS OF THE COMPANY.
3.1. Covenants as to Warrant Shares. If at any time the number of authorized but unissued shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock shall not be sufficient to permit exercise of this Warrant, the Company will take such corporate action as may, in the opinion of its counsel, be necessary to increase its authorized but unissued shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock (or other securities as provided herein) to such number of shares as shall be sufficient for such purposes.
3.2. No Impairment. Except and to the extent as waived or consented to by the Holder or otherwise in accordance with Section 2 hereof, the Company will not, by amendment of its Certificate of Incorporation (as such may be amended from time to time), or through any means, avoid or seek to avoid the observance or performance of any of the terms to be observed or performed hereunder by the Company, but will at all times in good faith assist in the carrying out of all the provisions of this Warrant and in the taking of all such action as may be necessary or appropriate in order to protect the exercise rights of the Holder against impairment.
3.3. Notices of Record Date. In the event of any taking by the Company of a record of the holders of any class of securities for the purpose of determining the holders thereof who are entitled to receive any dividend (other than a cash dividend which is the same as cash dividends paid in previous quarters) or other distribution, the Company shall mail to the Holder, at least ten (10) days prior to the date specified herein, a notice specifying the date on which any such record is to be taken for the purpose of such dividend or distribution.
4. REPRESENTATIONS OF HOLDER.
4.1. Acquisition of Warrant for Personal Account. The Holder represents and warrants that it is acquiring the Warrant and the Warrant Shares solely for its account for investment and not with a present view toward the public distribution of said Warrant or Warrant Shares or any part thereof and has no intention of selling or distributing said Warrant or Warrant Shares or any arrangement or understanding with any other persons regarding the sale or distribution of said Warrant, except as would not result in a violation of the Securities Act. The Holder will not, directly or indirectly, offer, sell, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of (or solicit any offers to buy, purchase or otherwise acquire or take a pledge of) the Warrant except in accordance with the Securities Act and will not, directly or indirectly, offer, sell, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of (or solicit any offers to buy, purchase or otherwise acquire or take a pledge of) the Warrant Shares except in accordance with the provisions of the Securities Act.
4.2. Securities Are Not Registered.
(a) The Holder understands that the offer and sale of the Warrant or the Warrant Shares have not been registered under the Securities Act on the basis that no distribution or public offering of the stock of the Company is to be effected. The Holder realizes that the basis for the exemption may not be present if, notwithstanding its representations, the Holder has a present intention of acquiring the securities for a fixed or determinable period in the future, selling (in connection with a distribution or otherwise), granting any participation in, or otherwise distributing the securities. The Holder has no such present intention.
(b) The Holder recognizes that the Warrant and the Warrant Shares must be held indefinitely unless they are subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available. The Holder recognizes that the Company has no obligation to register the Warrant or the Warrant Shares, or to comply with any exemption from such registration.
(c) The Holder is aware that neither the Warrant nor the Warrant Shares may be sold pursuant to Rule 144 adopted under the Securities Act unless certain conditions are met, including, among other things, the existence of a public market for the shares, the availability of certain current
public information about the Company, the resale following the required holding period under Rule 144 and the number of shares being sold during any three-month period not exceeding specified limitations. Holder is aware that any such sale made in reliance on Rule 144, if Rule 144 is available, may be made only in accordance with the terms of Rule 144.
4.3. Disposition of Warrant and Warrant Shares.
The Holder understands and agrees that all certificates evidencing the Warrant Shares to be issued to the Holder may bear a legend in substantially the following form:
THESE SECURITIES HAVE NOT BEEN REGISTERED UNDER THE SECURITIES ACT OF 1933 OR ANY APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS. THEY MAY NOT BE SOLD, OFFERED FOR SALE, PLEDGED OR HYPOTHECATED IN THE ABSENCE OF A REGISTRATION STATEMENT IN EFFECT WITH RESPECT TO THE SECURITIES UNDER SUCH ACT OR APPLICABLE STATE SECURITIES LAWS OR AN OPINION OF COUNSEL SATISFACTORY TO THE COMPANY THAT SUCH REGISTRATION IS NOT REQUIRED OR UNLESS SOLD PURSUANT TO RULE 144 OR RULE 144A OF SUCH ACT.
5. CHANGES IN OUTSTANDING SHARES. In the event of changes in the outstanding Series A Convertible Preferred Stock of the Company by reason of stock dividends, split-ups, recapitalizations, reclassifications, combinations or exchanges of shares, separations, reorganizations, liquidations, or the like, the number and class of shares available under the Warrant in the aggregate and the Exercise Price shall be correspondingly adjusted to give the Holder of the Warrant, on exercise for the same aggregate Exercise Price, the total number, class, and kind of shares as the Holder would have owned had the Warrant been exercised prior to the event and had the Holder continued to hold such shares until after the event requiring adjustment. The form of this Warrant need not be changed because of any adjustment in the number, class, and kind of shares subject to this Warrant. The Company shall promptly provide a certificate from an authorized officer notifying the Holder in writing of any adjustment in the Exercise Price and/or the total number, class, and kind of shares issuable upon exercise of this Warrant, which certificate shall specify the Exercise Price and number, class and kind of shares under this Warrant after giving effect to such adjustment.
6. FUNDAMENTAL TRANSACTIONS. If any capital reorganization, reclassification of the capital stock of the Company, consolidation or merger of the Company with another entity in which the Company is not the survivor, or sale, transfer or other disposition of all or substantially all of the Companys assets to another entity shall be effected (any such transaction being hereinafter referred to as a Fundamental Transaction), then the Company shall ensure that lawful and adequate provision shall be made whereby the Holder shall thereafter have the right to purchase and receive upon the basis and upon the terms and conditions herein specified and in lieu of the Exercise Shares immediately theretofore issuable upon exercise of this Warrant, such shares of stock, securities or assets as would have been issuable or payable with respect to or in exchange for a number of Exercise Shares equal to the number of Exercise Shares immediately theretofore issuable upon exercise of this Warrant, had such reorganization, reclassification, consolidation, merger, sale, transfer or other disposition not taken place, and in any such case appropriate provision shall be made with respect to the rights and interests of the Holder to the
end that the provisions hereof (including, without limitation, provision for adjustment of the Exercise Price) shall thereafter be applicable, as nearly equivalent as may be practicable in relation to any share of stock, securities or assets thereafter deliverable upon the exercise thereof. The Company shall not effect any such consolidation, merger, sale, transfer or other disposition unless prior to or simultaneously with the consummation thereof the successor entity (if other than the Company) resulting from such consolidation or merger, or the entity purchasing or otherwise acquiring such assets or other appropriate corporation or entity shall assume the obligation to deliver to the Holder, at the last address of the Holder appearing on the books of the Company, such shares of stock, securities or assets as, in accordance with the foregoing provisions, the Holder may be entitled to purchase, and the other obligations under this Warrant. The provisions of this Section 6 shall similarly apply to successive reorganizations, reclassifications, consolidations, mergers, sales, transfers or other dispositions, each of which transactions shall also constitute a Fundamental Transaction.
7. FRACTIONAL SHARES, ADJUSTMENT OF EXERCISE PRICE. No fractional shares shall be issued upon the exercise of this Warrant as a consequence of any adjustment pursuant hereto. All Warrant Shares (including fractions) issuable upon exercise of this Warrant may be aggregated for purposes of determining whether the exercise would result in the issuance of any fractional share. If, after aggregation, the exercise would result in the issuance of a fractional share, the Company shall, in lieu of issuance of any fractional share, pay the Holder otherwise entitled to such fraction a sum in cash equal to the product resulting from multiplying the then current fair market value of an Exercise Share by such fraction. No adjustment in the Exercise Price shall be required unless such adjustment would require an increase or decrease of at least $0.0001; provided, however, that any adjustments which by reason of this Section 7 are not required to be made shall be carried forward and taken into account in any subsequent adjustment. All calculations under this Section 7 shall be made to the $0.01 or to the nearest 1/100th of a share, as the case may be.
8. NO STOCKHOLDER RIGHTS. This Warrant in and of itself shall not entitle the Holder to any voting rights or, except as otherwise set forth herein, other rights as a stockholder of the Company.
9. TRANSFER OF WARRANT. Subject to applicable laws and compliance with Section 4.3 hereof, this Warrant and all rights hereunder are transferable, by the Holder in person or by duly authorized attorney, upon delivery of this Warrant and the form of assignment attached hereto to any transferee designated by Holder.
10. LOST, STOLEN, MUTILATED OR DESTROYED WARRANT. If this Warrant is lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed, the Company may, on such terms as to indemnity or otherwise as it may reasonably impose (which shall, in the case of a mutilated Warrant, include the surrender thereof), issue a new Warrant of like denomination and tenor as the Warrant so lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed. Any such new Warrant shall constitute an original contractual obligation of the Company, whether or not the allegedly lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed Warrant shall be at any time enforceable by anyone.
11. MODIFICATIONS AND WAIVER. Except as expressly provided herein, neither this Warrant nor any term hereof may be amended, waived, discharged or terminated other than by a written instrument signed by the party against whom enforcement of any such amendment, waiver, discharge or termination is sought.
12. NOTICES, ETC. All notices or other communications required or permitted hereunder shall be in writing and shall be deemed given or delivered: (i) when delivered personally; (ii) one business day following deposit with a recognized overnight courier service, provided such deposit occurs before the deadline imposed by that service for overnight delivery; (iii) when transmitted, if sent by facsimile copy or electronic mail, provided confirmation of receipt is received by sender, in each case provided the communication is addressed to the intended recipient thereof as set forth below:
If to Holder, to:
National Securities Corporation
410 Park Avenue, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10022
Fax: (212 ###-###-####
Tel: (212) 380-2819
If to the Company to:
440 Lexington Street
Auburndale, MA 02466
Attention: Stephen Rocamboli
or to such other address of which written notice is given to the parties.
13. ACCEPTANCE. Receipt of this Warrant by the Holder shall constitute acceptance of and agreement to all of the terms and conditions contained herein.
14. GOVERNING LAW. This Warrant and all rights, obligations and liabilities hereunder shall be governed by the laws of the State of Delaware without regard to the principles of conflict of laws.
15. DESCRIPTIVE HEADINGS. The descriptive headings of the several paragraphs of this Warrant are inserted for convenience only and do not constitute a part of this Warrant. The language in this Warrant shall be construed as to its fair meaning without regard to which party drafted this Warrant.
16. SEVERABILITY. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Warrant in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity or enforceability of such provision in any other jurisdiction, or affect any other provision of this Warrant, which shall remain in full force and effect.
17. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Warrant constitutes the entire agreement between the parties pertaining to the subject matter contained in it and supersede all prior and contemporaneous agreements, representations, and undertakings of the parties, whether oral or written, with respect to such subject matter.
[Signature Page Follows]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the Company has caused this Warrant to be executed by its duly authorized officer as of April 5, 2016.
Chief Executive Officer
NOTICE OF EXERCISE
TO: ADVANTAGENE, INC.
(1) The undersigned hereby elects to:
☐ purchase shares of the Series A Convertible Preferred Stock of Advantagene, Inc. (the Company) pursuant to the terms of the attached Warrant, and tenders herewith payment of the exercise price in full for such shares, together with all applicable transfer taxes, if any.
(2) Please issue a certificate or certificates representing said shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock in the name of the undersigned or in such other name as is specified below:
(3) The undersigned represents that (i) the aforesaid shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock are being acquired for the account of the undersigned for investment and not with a view to, or for resale in connection with, the distribution thereof and that the undersigned has no present intention of distributing or reselling such shares in violation of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended (the Securities Act); (ii) the undersigned is aware of the Companys business affairs and financial condition and has acquired sufficient information about the Company to reach an informed and knowledgeable decision regarding its investment in the Company; (iii) the undersigned is experienced in making investments of this type and has such knowledge and background in financial and business matters that the undersigned is capable of evaluating the merits and risks of this investment and protecting the undersigneds own interests; (iv) the undersigned understands that the shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock issuable upon exercise of this Warrant have not been registered under the Securities Act, by reason of a specific exemption from the registration provisions of the Securities Act, which exemption depends upon, among other things, the bona fide nature of the investment intent as expressed herein, and, because such securities have not been registered under the Securities Act, they must be held indefinitely unless subsequently registered under the Securities Act or an exemption from such registration is available; (v) the undersigned is aware that the aforesaid shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock may not be sold pursuant to Rule 144 adopted under the Securities Act unless certain conditions are met and until the undersigned has held the shares for the time period prescribed by Rule 144, that among the conditions for use of Rule 144 is the availability of current information to the public about the Company; and (vi) the undersigned agrees not to make any disposition of all or any part of the aforesaid shares of Series A Convertible Preferred Stock unless and until there is then in effect a registration statement under the Securities Act covering such proposed disposition and such disposition is made in accordance with said registration statement, or the undersigned has furnished the Company with an opinion of counsel, reasonably satisfactory to the Company, to the effect that such disposition
is not required to be registered pursuant to the Securities Act or any applicable state securities laws; provided, that no opinion shall be required for any disposition made or to be made in accordance with the provisions of Rule 144.