EX-10.1 8 ea126196ex10-1_bctgacq.htm FORM OF LETTER AGREEMENT AMONG THE REGISTRANT, SVB LEERINK LLC AND THE REGISTRANT'S OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND STOCKHOLDERS
September [__], 2020
BCTG Acquisition Corp.
11682 El Camino Real, Suite 320
San Diego, CA 92130
Re: Initial Public Offering
Ladies and Gentlemen:
This letter (this “Letter Agreement”) is being delivered to you in accordance with the Underwriting Agreement (the “Underwriting Agreement”) entered into by and among BCTG Acquisition Corp., a Delaware corporation (the “Company”) and SVB Leerink LLC, as representative (the “Representative”) of the several underwriters (each, an “Underwriter” and collectively, the “Underwriters”), relating to an underwritten initial public offering (the “Public Offering”), of 12,500,000 shares of the Company’s common stock (including up to 1,875,000 shares of common stock that may be purchased to cover over-allotments, if any) (the “Common Stock”). The Common Stock will be sold in the Public Offering pursuant to a registration statement on Form S-1 and prospectus (the “Prospectus”) filed by the Company with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (the “Commission”) and the Company has applied to have the shares of Common Stock listed on The Nasdaq Capital Market. Certain capitalized terms used herein are defined in paragraph 11 hereof.
In order to induce the Company and the Representative to enter into the Underwriting Agreement and to proceed with the Public Offering and for other good and valuable consideration, the receipt and sufficiency of which are hereby acknowledged, each of BCTG Holdings, LLC (the “Sponsor”) and the undersigned individuals, each of whom is a member of the Company’s board of directors and/or management team (each, an “Insider” and collectively, the “Insiders”), hereby agrees with the Company as follows:
1. The Sponsor and each Insider agrees that if the Company seeks stockholder approval of a proposed Business Combination, then in connection with such proposed Business Combination, it, he or she shall (i) vote any shares of Common Stock owned by it, him or her in favor of any proposed Business Combination and (ii) not redeem any shares of Common Stock owned by it, him or her in connection with such stockholder approval. If the Company engages in a tender offer in connection with any proposed Business Combination, the Sponsor and each Insider agrees that it, he or she will not seek to sell its, his or her shares of Common Stock to the Company in connection with such tender offer.
2. The Sponsor and each Insider agrees that in the event that the Company fails to consummate a Business Combination within 24 months from the closing of the Public Offering, or such later period approved by the Company’s stockholders in accordance with the Company’s amended and restated certificate of incorporation (the “Charter”), the Sponsor and each Insider shall take all reasonable steps to cause the Company to (i) cease all operations except for the purpose of winding up, (ii) as promptly as reasonably possible but not more than 10 Business Days thereafter, subject to lawfully available funds therefor, redeem 100% of the Common Stock sold in the Public Offering (the “Offering Shares”), at a per-share price, payable in cash, equal to the aggregate amount then on deposit in the Trust Account (as defined below), including interest earned on the funds held in the Trust Account and not previously released to the Company to pay its taxes (as described in the Prospectus), divided by the number of then outstanding Offering Shares, which redemption will completely extinguish all Public Stockholders’ rights as stockholders (including the right to receive further liquidation distributions, if any), subject to applicable law, and (iii) as promptly as reasonably possible following such redemption, subject to the approval of the Company’s remaining stockholders and the Company’s board of directors, dissolve and liquidate, subject in each case to the Company’s obligations under Delaware law to provide for claims of creditors and other requirements of applicable law. The Sponsor and each Insider agrees not to propose any amendment to the Charter to modify (i) the substance or timing of the ability of holders of Offering Shares to seek redemption in connection with a Business Combination or the Company’s obligation to redeem 100% of the Offering Shares if the Company does not complete a Business Combination by the date set forth in the Charter or (ii) the other provisions relating to stockholders’ rights or pre-initial Business Combination activities, unless the Company provides Public Stockholders with the opportunity to redeem their shares of Common Stock upon approval of any such amendment at a per-share price, payable in cash, equal to the aggregate amount then on deposit in the Trust Account, including interest earned on the funds held in the Trust Account and not previously released to the Company to pay its taxes (as described in the Prospectus), divided by the number of then outstanding Offering Shares.
The Sponsor and each Insider acknowledges that, with respect to any Founder Shares and Private Placement Shares held by it, him or her, it, he or she has no right, title, interest or claim of any kind in or to any monies held in the Trust Account as a result of any liquidation of the Company (although the Sponsor, each Insider, and its, his or her affiliates shall be entitled to redemption and liquidation rights with respect to any Offering Shares it holds if the Company fails to consummate a Business Combination within the time period set forth in the Charter). The Sponsor and each Insider further waives, with respect to any shares of Capital Stock held by it, him or her, if any, any redemption rights it, he or she may have in connection with the consummation of a Business Combination, including, without limitation, any such rights available in the context of a stockholder vote to approve such Business Combination or a stockholder vote to approve an amendment to the Charter to (i) modify the substance or timing of the Company’s obligation to redeem 100% of the Offering Shares if the Company has not consummated a Business Combination within the time period set forth in the Charter or in the context of a tender offer made by the Company to purchase shares of Capital Stock or (ii) with respect to any other provision relating to stockholders’ rights or pre-initial Business Combination activity.
3. During the period commencing on the effective date of the Underwriting Agreement and ending 180 days after such date, the Sponsor and each Insider shall not, without the prior written consent of the Representative, (i) sell, offer to sell, contract or agree to sell, hypothecate, pledge, grant any option to purchase or otherwise dispose of or agree to dispose of, directly or indirectly, any shares of Common Stock (including Private Placement Shares) or Founder Shares owned by it, him or her, (ii) establish or increase a put equivalent position or liquidate or decrease a call equivalent position within the meaning of Section 16 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended (the “Exchange Act”), and the rules and regulations of the Commission promulgated thereunder, with respect to any shares of Common Stock (including Private Placement Shares) or Founder Shares owned by it, him or her, (iii) enter into any swap or other arrangement that transfers to another, in whole or in part, any of the economic consequences of ownership of any shares of Common Stock (including Private Placement Shares) or Founder Shares owned by it, him or her, whether any such transaction is to be settled by delivery of such securities, in cash or otherwise, or (iv) publicly announce any intention to effect any transaction specified in clause (i), (ii) or (iii). Each of the Insiders and the Sponsor acknowledges and agrees that, prior to the effective date of any release or waiver of the restrictions set forth in this paragraph 3 or paragraph 7 below, the Company shall announce the impending release or waiver by press release through a major news service at least two Business Days before the effective date of the release or waiver. Any release or waiver granted shall only be effective two Business Days after the publication date of such press release. The provisions of this paragraph will not apply if the release or waiver is effected solely to permit a transfer not for consideration and the transferee has agreed in writing to be bound by the same terms described in this Letter Agreement to the extent and for the duration that such terms remain in effect at the time of the transfer.
4. In the event of the liquidation of the Trust Account upon the failure of the Company to consummate its initial Business Combination within the time period set forth in the Charter, the Sponsor (the “Indemnitor”) agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Company against any and all loss, liability, claim, damage and expense whatsoever (including, but not limited to, any and all legal or other expenses reasonably incurred in investigating, preparing or defending against any litigation, whether pending or threatened) to which the Company may become subject as a result of any claim by (i) any third party for services rendered or products sold to the Company or (ii) any prospective target business with which the Company has entered into a written letter of intent, confidentiality or other similar agreement or Business Combination agreement (a “Target”); provided, however, that such indemnification of the Company by the Indemnitor (x) shall apply only to the extent necessary to ensure that such claims by a third party or a Target do not reduce the amount of funds in the Trust Account to below the lesser of (i) $10.00 per Offering Share and (ii) the actual amount per Offering Share held in the Trust Account as of the date of the liquidation of the Trust Account, if less than $10.00 per Offering Share is then held in the Trust Account due to reductions in the value of the trust assets, less interest earned on the Trust Account which may be withdrawn to pay taxes, (y) shall not apply to any claims by a third party or a Target which executed a waiver of any and all rights to the monies held in the Trust Account (whether or not such waiver is enforceable) and (z) shall not apply to any claims under the Company’s indemnity of the Underwriters against certain liabilities, including liabilities under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended. The Indemnitor shall have the right to defend against any such claim with counsel of its choice reasonably satisfactory to the Company if, within 15 days following written receipt of notice of the claim to the Indemnitor, the Indemnitor notifies the Company in writing that it shall undertake such defense.
5. [Intentionally omitted].
6. The Sponsor and each Insider hereby agrees and acknowledges that: (i) the Company would be irreparably injured in the event of a breach by the Sponsor or an Insider of its, his or her obligations under paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7(a), 7(b) or 9, as applicable, of this Letter Agreement (ii) monetary damages may not be an adequate remedy for such breach and (iii) the non-breaching party shall be entitled to injunctive relief, in addition to any other remedy that such party may have in law or in equity, in the event of such breach.
7. (i) The Sponsor and each Insider (to the extent that such Insider holds Founder Shares) agrees that it shall not Transfer any Founder Shares until the earlier of (a) one year after the date of the consummation of the Company’s initial Business Combination and (b) the date on which the closing price of the Common Stock equals or exceeds $12.00 per share (as adjusted for stock splits, stock dividends, reorganizations and recapitalizations) for any 20 trading days within any 30-trading day period commencing after the Company’s initial Business Combination or earlier if, subsequent to the Company’s initial Business Combination, the Company consummates a subsequent liquidation, merger, stock exchange or other similar transaction which results in all of the Company’s stockholders having the right to exchange their shares of Common Stock for cash, securities or other property (the “Founder Shares Lock-up Period”).
(ii) The Sponsor agrees that it shall not transfer any Private Placement Shares until 30 days after the completion of a Business Combination (the “Private Placement Shares Lock-up Period”, together with the Founder Shares Lock-up Period, the “Lock-up Periods”).
(iii) Notwithstanding the provisions set forth in paragraph 7(i) and (ii), Transfers of the Founder Shares and Private Placement Shares that are held by the Sponsor, any Insider or any of their permitted transferees (that have complied with this paragraph 7(iii)), are permitted (a) to any persons (including their affiliates and stockholders) participating in the private placement of the Founder Shares, officers, directors, stockholders employees and members of the Sponsor and its affiliates; (b) amongst the Sponsor and Insiders or to the Company’s officers, directors and employees; (c) if the Sponsor or Insider is an entity, as a distribution to its partners, stockholders or members upon its liquidation, (d) by bona fide gift to a member of the Insider’s immediate family or to a trust, the beneficiary of which is the Insider or a member of the Insider’s immediate family for estate planning purposes, (e) by virtue of the laws of descent and distribution upon death of the Insider, (f) pursuant to a qualified domestic relations order, (g) by certain pledges to secure obligations incurred in connection with purchases of the Company’s securities, (h) by private sales at prices no greater than the price at which the Founder Shares were originally purchased or (i) for the cancellation of up to 468,750 shares of Common Stock subject to forfeiture by the Sponsor to the extent that the Underwriters’ over-allotment is not exercised in full or in part or in connection with the consummation of the Company’s initial Business Combination, in each case (except for clause (i) or with the Company’s prior consent) on the condition that such transfers may be implemented only upon the respective transferee’s written agreement to be bound by the terms and conditions of this Agreement and of the Stock Escrow Agreement entered into as of the date hereof and signed by the holder transferring such Founder Shares.
8. The Sponsor and each Insider represents and warrants that it, he or she has never been suspended or expelled from membership in any securities or commodities exchange or association or had a securities or commodities license or registration denied, suspended or revoked. Each Insider’s biographical information furnished to the Company (including any such information included in the Prospectus) is true and accurate in all respects and does not omit any material information with respect to the Insider’s background. Each Insider’s questionnaire furnished to the Company is true and accurate in all respects. Each Insider represents and warrants that: it, he or she is not subject to or a respondent in any legal action for, any injunction, cease-and-desist order or order or stipulation to desist or refrain from any act or practice relating to the offering of securities in any jurisdiction; it, he or she has never been convicted of, or pleaded guilty to, any crime (i) involving fraud, (ii) relating to any financial transaction or handling of funds of another person, or (iii) pertaining to any dealings in any securities and it, he or she is not currently a defendant in any such criminal proceeding.
9. Except as disclosed in the Prospectus, none of the Sponsor, our officers and directors, or any affiliate of the Sponsor or our officers shall receive from the Company any finder’s fee, reimbursement, consulting fee, monies in respect of any repayment of a loan or other compensation prior to, or in connection with any services rendered in order to effectuate, the consummation of the Company’s initial Business Combination (regardless of the type of transaction that it is).
10. The Sponsor and each Insider has full right and power, without violating any agreement to which it is bound (including, without limitation, any non-competition or non-solicitation agreement with any employer or former employer), to enter into this Letter Agreement and, as applicable, to serve as an officer or director of the Company and hereby consents to being named in the Prospectus as an officer or director of the Company.
11. As used herein, (i) “Business Combination” shall mean a merger, capital stock exchange, asset acquisition, stock purchase, reorganization or similar business combination, involving the Company and one or more businesses; (ii) “Business Day” means each day that is not a Saturday, Sunday or other day on which banking institutions in The City of New York, New York, are authorized or required by law to close; (iii) “Capital Stock” shall mean, collectively, the Common Stock (including the Private Placement Shares) and the Founder Shares; (iv) “Founder Shares” shall mean the 3,593,750 shares of the Company’s Common Stock, par value $0.0001 per share, (up to 468,750 shares of which are subject to complete or partial forfeiture by the Sponsor if the over-allotment option is not exercised by the Underwriters) outstanding immediately prior to the consummation of the Public Offering; (v) “Initial Stockholders” shall mean the Sponsor and any Insider that holds Founder Shares prior to the consummation of the Public Offering; (vi) “Private Placement Shares” shall mean 450,000 shares of Common Stock (or 487,500 shares of Common Stock if the Underwriters’ over-allotment option is exercised in full) that the Sponsor has agreed to purchase for an aggregate purchase price of $4,500,000 in the aggregate (or $4,875,500 in the aggregate if the Underwriters’ over-allotment option is exercised in full), in a private placement that shall occur simultaneously with the consummation of the Public Offering; (vii) “Public Stockholders” shall mean the holders of the Offering Shares; (viii) “Trust Account” shall mean the trust fund into which a portion of the net proceeds of the Public Offering and the sale of Private Placement Shares shall be deposited; and (ix) “Transfer” shall mean the (a) sale of, offer to sell, contract or agreement to sell, hypothecate, pledge, grant of any option to purchase or otherwise dispose of or agreement to dispose of, directly or indirectly, or establishment or increase of a put equivalent position or liquidation with respect to or decrease of a call equivalent position within the meaning of Section 16 of the Exchange Act, and the rules and regulations of the Commission promulgated thereunder with respect to, any security, (b) entry into any swap or other arrangement that transfers to another, in whole or in part, any of the economic consequences of ownership of any security, whether any such transaction is to be settled by delivery of such securities, in cash or otherwise, or (c) public announcement of any intention to effect any transaction specified in clause (a) or (b).
12. The Company will maintain an insurance policy or policies providing directors’ and officers’ liability insurance, and each Director shall be covered by such policy or policies, in accordance with its or their terms, to the maximum extent of the coverage available for any of the Company’s directors or officers.
13. This Letter Agreement constitutes the entire agreement and understanding of the parties hereto in respect of the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior understandings, agreements, or representations by or among the parties hereto, written or oral, to the extent they relate in any way to the subject matter hereof or the transactions contemplated hereby. This Letter Agreement may not be changed, amended, modified or waived (other than to correct a typographical error) as to any particular provision, except by a written instrument executed by all parties hereto.
14. No party hereto may assign either this Letter Agreement or any of its rights, interests, or obligations hereunder without the prior written consent of the other parties. Any purported assignment in violation of this paragraph shall be void and ineffectual and shall not operate to transfer or assign any interest or title to the purported assignee. This Letter Agreement shall be binding on the Sponsor and each Insider and their respective successors, heirs and assigns and permitted transferees.
15. Nothing in this Letter Agreement shall be construed to confer upon, or give to, any person or corporation other than the parties hereto any right, remedy or claim under or by reason of this Letter Agreement or of any covenant, condition, stipulation, promise or agreement hereof. All covenants, conditions, stipulations, promises and agreements contained in this Letter Agreement shall be for the sole and exclusive benefit of the parties hereto and their successors, heirs, personal representatives and assigns and permitted transferees.
16. This Letter Agreement may be executed in any number of original or facsimile counterparts and each of such counterparts shall for all purposes be deemed to be an original, and all such counterparts shall together constitute but one and the same instrument.
17. This Letter Agreement shall be deemed severable, and the invalidity or unenforceability of any term or provision hereof shall not affect the validity or enforceability of this Letter Agreement or of any other term or provision hereof. Furthermore, in lieu of any such invalid or unenforceable term or provision, the parties hereto intend that there shall be added as a part of this Letter Agreement a provision as similar in terms to such invalid or unenforceable provision as may be possible and be valid and enforceable.
18. This Letter Agreement shall be governed by and construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to conflicts of law principles that would result in the application of the substantive laws of another jurisdiction. The parties hereto (i) all agree that any action, proceeding, claim or dispute arising out of, or relating in any way to, this Letter Agreement shall be brought and enforced in the courts of New York City, in the State of New York, and irrevocably submit to such jurisdiction and venue, which jurisdiction and venue shall be exclusive and (ii) waive any objection to such exclusive jurisdiction and venue or that such courts represent an inconvenient forum.
19. Any notice, consent or request to be given in connection with any of the terms or provisions of this Letter Agreement shall be in writing and shall be sent by express mail or similar private courier service, by certified mail (return receipt requested), by hand delivery or facsimile transmission.
20. This Letter Agreement shall terminate on the earlier of (i) the expiration of the Lock-up Periods or (ii) the liquidation of the Company; provided, however, that this Letter Agreement shall earlier terminate in the event that the Public Offering is not consummated by December 31, 2020; provided further that paragraph 4 of this Letter Agreement shall survive such liquidation.
[Signature Page Follows]
| || || |
| ||BCTG HOLDINGS, LLC|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Name: [●]|
| || ||Title: [●]|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Aaron I. Davis|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Christopher Fuglesang, Ph.D., J.D.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Michael Beauchamp|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Andrew Ellis, M.D., J.D.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Carole L. Nuechterlein, J.D.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Richard Heyman, Ph.D.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Charles M. Baum, M.D., Ph.D.|
| || || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Jamie G. Christensen, Ph.D.|
| || || |
| ||Acknowledged and Agreed:|
| || || |
| ||BCTG ACQUISITION CORP.|
| || |
| ||By: || |
| || ||Name: Aaron I. Davis|
| || ||Title: Chief Executive Officer|