PARENT GUARANTY AND INDEMNITY
THIS PARENT GUARANTY AND INDEMNITY, dated as of January 16, 2020 (as amended, restated, supplemented, or otherwise modified from time to time, this “Guaranty”), made by Ares Commercial Real Estate Corporation, a Maryland corporation (“Guarantor”), in favor of Morgan Stanley Bank, N.A., a national banking association, as buyer (“Buyer”).
A.Pursuant to that certain Master Repurchase and Securities Contract Agreement, dated as of the date hereof (as amended, supplemented or otherwise modified from time to time, the “Repurchase Agreement”), between Buyer and ACRC Lender MS LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (“Seller”), Seller has agreed to sell to Buyer, certain Purchased Assets, as defined in the Repurchase Agreement, upon the terms and subject to the conditions as set forth therein.
B. It is a condition precedent to Buyer acquiring the Purchased Assets pursuant to the Repurchase Agreement that Guarantor shall have executed and delivered this Guaranty.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the foregoing premises, to induce Buyer to enter into the Transaction Documents and to enter into the transactions contemplated thereunder, Guarantor hereby agrees with Buyer as follows:
1. Defined Terms. Unless otherwise defined herein, capitalized terms used herein shall have the respective meanings given them in the Repurchase Agreement.
“Available Borrower Capacity” means, with respect to any Person, on any date of determination, the total unrestricted borrower capacity which may be drawn upon (taking into account required reserves and discounts) by such Person or its Subsidiaries, at such Person’s or its Subsidiaries’ request, based upon approved but undrawn amounts, under committed credit facilities or repurchase agreements which provide financing to such Person or its Subsidiaries. For the avoidance of doubt, any amounts counted toward Cash Liquidity shall not also be included in Available Borrower Capacity.
“Debt Service” means for any Test Period, the sum of (a) Interest Expense for any Person for such period, determined on a consolidated basis, and (b) all regularly scheduled principal payments made with respect to Indebtedness of such Person and its Subsidiaries during such period, other than any voluntary prepayment or prepayment occasioned by the repayment of an underlying asset, or any balloon, bullet, margin or similar principal payment which repays such Indebtedness in part or in full.
“EBITDA” means with respect to any Person and for any Test Period, an amount equal to the sum of (a) Net Income (or loss) of such Person (prior to any impact from minority or non-controlling interests or joint venture net income and before deduction of any dividends on preferred
stock of such Person), plus the following (but only to the extent actually included in determination of such Net Income (or loss)): (i) depreciation and amortization expense (other than those related to capital expenditures that have not been included in the calculation of Fixed Charges), (ii) Interest Expense, (iii) income tax expense, and (iv) extraordinary or non-recurring gains, losses and expenses, including but not limited to transaction expenses relating to business combinations, other acquisitions and unconsummated transactions, (v) unrealized loan loss reserves, impairments associated with owned real estate, and other similar charges, including but not limited to reserves for loss sharing arrangement associated with mortgage servicing rights, (vi) realized losses on loans and loss sharing arrangements associated with mortgage servicing rights and (vii) unrealized gains, losses and expenses associated with (A) derivative liabilities including but not limited to convertible note issuances and (B) mortgage servicing rights (other than the initial revenue recognition of recording an asset), plus (b) such Person’s proportionate share of Net Income (prior to any impact from minority or non-controlling interests or joint venture net income and before deduction of any dividends on preferred stock of such Person) of the joint venture investments and unconsolidated Affiliates of such Person, all with respect to such period.
“Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio” means EBITDA (as determined in accordance with GAAP) for the immediately preceding twelve (12) month period ending on the last date of the applicable Test Period, divided by the Fixed Charges for the immediately preceding twelve (12) month period ending on the last date of the applicable Test Period; provided that the “Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio” and associated components thereof shall be determined without regard to the effects of consolidation of any issuer of a Specified Third Party Securitization on the financial statements of the Guarantor under Accounting Standards Codification Section 810, as amended, modified or supplemented from time to time, or otherwise under GAAP.
“Fixed Charges” means at any time, the sum of (a) Debt Service, (b) all preferred dividends that such Person is required, pursuant to the terms of the certificate of designation or other similar document governing the rights of preferred shareholders, to pay and is not permitted to defer, (c) Capital Lease Obligations paid or accrued during such period and (d) any amounts payable under any Ground Lease.
“Ground Lease” is defined in Exhibit III of the Repurchase Agreement.
“Investment Securities” shall mean any of the following:
par value of negotiable debt obligations issued by the U.S. Treasury Department having a remaining maturity of less than 1 year; or
par value of negotiable debt obligations issued by the U.S. Treasury Department having a remaining maturity of 1-10 years; or
par value of negotiable debt obligations issued by the U.S. Treasury Department having a remaining maturity of more than 10 years;
par value of single-class mortgage participation certificates in book-entry form backed by single-family residential mortgage loans, the full and timely payment of interest at the applicable certificate rate and the ultimate collection of principal of which are guaranteed by the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (excluding REMIC or other multi-class pass-through certificates, collateralized mortgage obligations, pass-through certificates backed by adjustable rate mortgages, securities paying interest or principal only and similar derivative securities); or
par value of single-class mortgage pass-through certificates in book-entry form backed by single-family residential mortgage loans, the full and timely payment of interest at the applicable certificate rate and ultimate collection of principal of which are guaranteed by the Federal National Mortgage Association (excluding REMIC or other multi-class pass-through certificates, pass-through certificates backed by adjustable rate mortgages collateralized mortgage obligations, securities paying interest or principal only and similar derivative securities); or
par value of single-class fully modified pass-through certificates in book-entry form backed by single-family residential mortgage loans, the full and timely payment of principal and interest of which is guaranteed by the Government National Mortgage Association (excluding REMIC or other multi-class pass-through certificates, collateralized mortgage obligations, pass through certificates backed by adjustable rate mortgages, securities paying interest or principal only and similar derivatives securities); or
par value of all actively and regularly traded investment- grade residential mortgage-backed securities; or
such other investments as Guarantor and Buyer may agree.
“Recourse Indebtedness” means Indebtedness of a consolidated Subsidiary of Guarantor for which Guarantor has provided a payment guarantee.
“Tangible Net Worth” means, with respect to any Person and any date, all amounts that would be included under capital or shareholder's equity (or any like caption) on the balance sheet of such Person, minus (a) amounts owing to that Person from any Affiliate thereof, or from officers, employees, partners, members, directors, shareholders or other Persons similarly affiliated with
such Person or any Affiliate thereof, (b) intangible assets, and (c) prepaid taxes and/or expenses, plus deferred origination fees, net of deferred origination costs, all on or as of such date; provided that “Tangible Net Worth” shall be determined without regard to the effects of consolidation of any issuer of a Specified Third Party Securitization on the financial statements of such Person under Accounting Standards Codification Section 810, as amended, modified or supplemented from time to time, or otherwise under GAAP. For the avoidance of doubt, mortgage servicing rights shall not be deemed to be intangible assets.
“Test Period” means the time period from the first day of each calendar quarter, through and including the last day of such calendar quarter.
“Total Liquidity” means, at any date of determination, the sum of (i) Cash Liquidity plus (ii) unencumbered Investment Securities; provided, that “Total Liquidity” and associated components thereof shall be determined without regard to the effects of consolidation of any issuer of a Specified Third Party Securitization on the financial statements of Guarantor under Accounting Standards Codification Section 810, as amended, modified or supplemented from time to time, or otherwise under GAAP.
2. Guaranty. (a) Subject to Sections 2(b), 2(c) and 2(d) below, Guarantor hereby unconditionally and irrevocably guarantees to Buyer the prompt and complete payment when due, whether at stated maturity, by acceleration of the Repurchase Date or otherwise, of all of the following: (i) all payment obligations owing by Seller to Buyer under or in connection with the Repurchase Agreement or any of the other Transaction Documents and (ii) all expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable and documented attorneys’ fees and disbursements, that are incurred by Buyer in the enforcement of any obligation of Guarantor hereunder after the occurrence and during the continuance of an Event of Default (collectively, the “Obligations”).
(b)Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, but subject to Sections 2(c) and 2(d) below, which shall control, the maximum liability of Guarantor hereunder and under the Transaction Documents shall in no event exceed (i) twenty-five percent (25%) of the then outstanding Repurchase Price of all Purchased Assets subject to Transactions as of such date plus (ii) all expenses, including, without limitation, reasonable attorneys’ fees and disbursements, that are incurred by Buyer in the enforcement of any obligation of Guarantor hereunder.
(c) Notwithstanding the foregoing, or any other provision herein to the contrary, the limitation on recourse liability as set forth in Section 2(b) above SHALL BECOME NULL AND VOID and shall be of no further force and effect, and the Obligations shall be full recourse to Seller and Guarantor, jointly and severally, upon the occurrence of any of the following:
(i) a voluntary bankruptcy or insolvency proceeding is commenced by Seller, Pledgor or Guarantor; and
(ii) an involuntary bankruptcy or insolvency proceeding is commenced against Seller, Pledgor or Guarantor in connection with which Seller, Pledgor, Guarantor, or any of their respective Affiliates has or have colluded in any way with the creditors commencing or filing such proceedings.
(d) In addition to the foregoing, and notwithstanding the limitations on recourse liability set forth in Section 2(b) above, Guarantor shall be liable to Buyer for any costs, claims, expenses or other liabilities actually incurred by Buyer resulting from any of the following matters:
(i) any breach of the covenants set forth in Article 13 of the Repurchase Agreement that results in the substantive consolidation of any of the assets and/or liabilities of Seller with the assets and/or liabilities of any other entity in a bankruptcy or insolvency proceeding;
(ii) fraud, intentional misrepresentation or willful misconduct by Seller, Pledgor or Guarantor, or any Affiliate of Seller, Pledgor or Guarantor in connection with the execution and delivery of this Guaranty, the Repurchase Agreement or any of the other Transaction Documents, or any certificate, report, financial statement or other instrument or document furnished to Buyer at the time of the closing of the Repurchase Agreement or during the term of the Repurchase Agreement;
(iii) Seller’s failure to obtain Buyer’s prior written consent to any subordinate financing or voluntary liens encumbering any or all of the Purchased Assets that are not permitted under the Transaction Documents; and
(iv) any material breach by Seller, Pledgor or Guarantor, or any of their respective Affiliates, of any representations and warranties relating to Environmental Laws, or any indemnity for costs incurred by Buyer in connection with the violation of any Environmental Law, the correction of any environmental condition, or the removal of any hazardous substances, in each case in any way affecting any or all of the Purchased Assets.
(e) Nothing herein shall be deemed a waiver of any right which Buyer may have under Sections 506(a), 506(b), 1111(b) or any other provision of the Bankruptcy Code to file a claim for the full amount of the outstanding obligations under the Repurchase Agreement or to require that all Purchased Assets shall continue to secure all of the outstanding obligations owing to Buyer in accordance with the Repurchase Agreement or any other Transaction Documents.
(f) Guarantor further agrees to pay any and all reasonable out-of-pocket expenses (including, without limitation, all reasonable fees and disbursements of counsel) which may be paid or incurred by Buyer in enforcing, or obtaining advice of counsel in respect of, any rights with respect to, or collecting, any or all of the Obligations and/or enforcing any rights with respect to, or collecting against, Guarantor under this Guaranty during the continuance of an Event
of Default. This Guaranty shall remain in full force and effect until the date upon which the Obligations are paid in full.
(g) No payment or payments made by Seller or any other Person or received or collected by Buyer from Seller or any other Person by virtue of any action or proceeding or any set-off or appropriation or application, at any time or from time to time, in reduction of or in payment of the Obligations shall be deemed to modify, reduce, release or otherwise affect the liability of Guarantor hereunder which shall, notwithstanding any such payment or payments, remain liable for the amount of the Obligations under this Agreement until the Obligations are paid in full, but subject to the limitations on Guarantor’s liability under Section 2(b) above; provided that this provision is not intended to allow Buyer to recover an amount greater than the amount of the Obligations.
(h) Guarantor agrees that whenever, at any time, or from time to time, Guarantor shall make any payment to Buyer on account of Guarantor’s liability hereunder, Guarantor will notify Buyer in writing that such payment is made under this Guaranty for such purpose.
3. Subrogation. Upon making any payment hereunder, Guarantor shall be subrogated to the rights of Buyer against Seller and any collateral for any Obligations with respect to such payment; provided, that Guarantor shall not seek to enforce any right or receive any payment by way of subrogation until all amounts due and payable by Seller to Buyer under the Transaction Documents or any related documents have been paid in full; provided, further, that such subrogation rights shall be subordinate in all respects to all amounts owing to Buyer under the Transaction Documents.
4. Amendments, etc. with Respect to the Obligations. Until the Guaranteed Obligations and the obligations of Guarantor under this Guaranty shall have been indefeasibly paid or performed in full, Guarantor shall remain obligated hereunder notwithstanding that, without any reservation of rights against Guarantor, and without notice to or further assent by Guarantor, any demand for payment of any of the Obligations made by Buyer may be rescinded by Buyer and any of the Obligations continued, and the Obligations, or the liability of any other party upon or for any part thereof, or any collateral security or guarantee therefor or right of offset with respect thereto, may, from time to time, in whole or in part, be renewed, extended, amended, modified, accelerated, compromised, waived, surrendered or released by Buyer and any Transaction Document and any other document in connection therewith may be amended, modified, supplemented or terminated, in whole or in part, as Buyer may deem advisable from time to time, and any collateral security, guarantee or right of offset at any time held by Buyer for the payment of the Obligations may be sold, exchanged, waived, surrendered or released. Buyer shall have no obligation to protect, secure, perfect or insure any lien at any time held by it as security for the Obligations or for this Guaranty or any property subject thereto. When making any demand hereunder against Guarantor, Buyer may, but shall be under no obligation to, make a similar demand on Seller or any other Person, and
any failure by Buyer to make any such demand or to collect any payments from Seller or any such other Person or any release of Seller or such other Person shall not relieve Guarantor of its Obligations or liabilities hereunder, and shall not impair or affect the rights and remedies, express or implied, or as a matter of law, of Buyer against Guarantor. For the purposes hereof “demand” shall include the commencement and continuance of any legal proceedings.
5. Guaranty Absolute and Unconditional. (a) Guarantor hereby agrees that its obligations under this Guaranty constitute a guarantee of payment when due and not of collection. Guarantor waives any and all notice of the creation, renewal, extension or accrual of any of the Obligations and notice of or proof of reliance by Buyer upon this Guaranty or acceptance of this Guaranty; the Obligations, and any of them, shall conclusively be deemed to have been created, contracted or incurred in reliance upon this Guaranty; and all dealings between Seller and Guarantor, on the one hand, and Buyer, on the other hand, shall likewise be conclusively presumed to have been had or consummated in reliance upon this Guaranty. Guarantor waives promptness, diligence, presentment, protest, demand for payment and notice of default or nonpayment to or upon Seller or the Guaranty with respect to the Obligations. This Guaranty shall be construed as a continuing, absolute and unconditional guarantee of payment without regard to (i) the validity, regularity or enforceability of any agreement, any of the Obligations or any collateral security therefor or guarantee or right of offset with respect thereto at any time or from time to time held by Buyer, (ii) any defense, set-off or counterclaim (other than a defense of payment or performance) which may at any time be available to or be asserted by Seller against Buyer, (iii) any requirement that Buyer exhaust any right to take any action against Seller, Pledgor or any other Person prior to or contemporaneously with proceeding to exercise any right against Guarantor under this Guaranty or (iv) any other circumstance whatsoever (with or without notice to or knowledge of Seller and Guarantor) which constitutes, or might be construed to constitute, an equitable or legal discharge of Seller for the Obligations or of Guarantor under this Guaranty, in bankruptcy or in any other instance. When pursuing its rights and remedies hereunder against Guarantor, Buyer may, but shall be under no obligation, to pursue such rights and remedies that Buyer may have against Seller or any other Person or against any collateral security or guarantee for the Obligations or any right of offset with respect thereto, and any failure by Buyer to pursue such other rights or remedies or to collect any payments from Seller or any such other Person or to realize upon any such collateral security or guarantee or to exercise any such right of offset, or any release of Seller or any such other Person or any such collateral security, guarantee or right of offset, shall not relieve Guarantor of any liability hereunder, and shall not impair or affect the rights and remedies, whether express, implied or available as a matter of law, of Buyer against Guarantor. This Guaranty shall remain in full force and effect and be binding in accordance with and to the extent of its terms upon Guarantor and its successors and assigns thereof, and shall inure to the benefit of Buyer and its permitted successors, endorsees, transferees and assigns, until all the Obligations and the obligations of Guarantor under this Guaranty shall have been satisfied by payment in full.
(b) Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Guarantor hereby agrees, acknowledges, and represents and warrants to Buyer as follows:
(i) Guarantor hereby waives any defense arising by reason of, and any and all right to assert against Buyer any claim or defense based upon, an election of remedies by Buyer which in any manner impairs, affects, reduces, releases, destroys and/or extinguishes Guarantor’s subrogation rights, rights to proceed against Seller or any other guarantor for reimbursement or contribution, and/or any other rights of Guarantor to proceed against Seller, any other guarantor or any other person or security.
(ii) Guarantor is presently informed of the financial condition of Seller and of all other circumstances which diligent inquiry would reveal and which bear upon the risk of nonpayment of the Obligations. Guarantor hereby covenants that it will make its own investigation and will continue to keep itself informed about the financial condition of Seller, the status of other guarantors, if any, of all other circumstances which bear upon the risk of nonpayment and that it will continue to rely upon sources other than Buyer for such information and will not rely upon Buyer for any such information. Absent a written request for such information by Guarantor to Buyer, Guarantor hereby waives the right, if any, to require Buyer to disclose to Guarantor any information which Buyer may now or hereafter acquire concerning such condition or circumstances including, but not limited to, the release of or revocation by any other guarantor.
(iii) Guarantor has independently reviewed the Transaction Documents and related agreements and has made an independent determination as to the validity and enforceability thereof, and in executing and delivering this Guaranty to Buyer, Guarantor is not in any manner relying upon the validity, and/or enforceability, and/or attachment, and/or perfection of any liens or security interests of any kind or nature granted by Seller or any other guarantor to Buyer, now or at any time and from time to time in the future.
6. Reinstatement. This Guaranty shall continue to be effective, or be reinstated, as the case may be, if at any time payment, or any part thereof, of any of the Obligations is rescinded or must otherwise be restored or returned by Buyer upon the insolvency, bankruptcy, dissolution, liquidation or reorganization of Seller or upon or as a result of the appointment of a receiver, intervenor or conservator of, or trustee or similar officer for Seller or any substantial part of the property of Seller, or otherwise, all as though such payments had not been made.
7. Payments. Guarantor hereby agrees that the Obligations will be paid to Buyer, without set-off or counterclaim in United States Dollars at the address specified in writing by Buyer.
8. Representations and Warranties. Guarantor represents and warrants that:
(a) It is duly organized, validly existing and in good standing under the laws and regulations of its jurisdiction of incorporation or organization, as the case may be. It is duly licensed, qualified, and in good standing in every state where such licensing or qualification is necessary for the transaction of its business, except to the extent that the failure to comply could not reasonably be expected to have a Material Adverse Effect. It has the power to own and hold the assets it purports to own and hold, and to carry on its business as now being conducted and proposed to be conducted, and has the power to execute, deliver, and perform its obligations under this Guaranty and the other Transaction Documents;
(b) This Guaranty has been duly executed by it, for good and valuable consideration. This Guaranty constitutes a legal, valid and binding obligation of Guarantor enforceable in accordance with its terms, except as enforceability may be limited by bankruptcy, insolvency, reorganization, moratorium or other similar laws affecting the enforcement of creditors’ rights generally and by general principles of equity (whether enforcement is sought in proceedings in equity or at law);
(c) Guarantor does not believe, nor does it have any reason or cause to believe, that it cannot perform in all respects all covenants and obligations contained in this Guaranty applicable to it;
(d) The execution, delivery and performance of this Guaranty will not violate (i) its organizational requirements, (ii) any contractual obligation to which it is now a party or constitute a default thereunder, or result thereunder in the creation or imposition of any lien upon any of its assets, (iii) any judgment or order, writ, injunction, decree or demand of any court applicable to it, or (iv) any applicable Requirement of Law;
(e) There is no action, suit, proceeding, litigation, investigation, arbitration or proceeding of or before any arbitrator or Governmental Authority is pending or, to the knowledge of Guarantor, threatened by or against Guarantor or against its assets (i) that is reasonably likely to have an adverse effect on the validity of any of the Transaction Documents or any action taken or to be taken in connection with the obligations of Guarantor under any of the Transaction Documents or (ii) that is reasonably likely to, individually or in the aggregate, result in a Material Adverse Effect. Guarantor is in compliance in all material respects with all Requirements of Law. Guarantor is not in default in any material respect with respect to any judgment, order, writ, injunction, decree, rule, or regulation of any arbitrator or Governmental Authority;
(f) except as disclosed in writing to Buyer prior to the date hereof, Guarantor has filed or caused to be filed (taking into account all applicable extensions) all federal income tax returns and all other material tax returns which, to the knowledge of Guarantor, are required to be filed and has paid all taxes shown to be due and payable on said returns and all other material taxes, fees or other charges imposed on it or any of the property of Guarantor by any Governmental
Authority (other than any such taxes, fees or charges the amount or validity of which are currently being contested in good faith by appropriate proceedings); no material tax lien has been filed against the assets of the Guarantor, and, to the knowledge of Guarantor, no material claim is being asserted in writing, with respect to any such tax, fee or other charge; and
(g) [Intentionally Omitted]
(h) No order, consent, approval, license, authorization or validation of, or filing, recording or registration with, or exemption by, any Governmental Authority or any other Person is required to authorize, or is required in connection with, (i) the execution and performance of this Guaranty, (ii) the legality, validity, binding effect or enforceability of this Guaranty against it or (iii) the consummation of the transactions contemplated by this Guaranty, except (A) filing obligations with the Securities and Exchange Commission arising in the ordinary course of Guarantor’s business as a public company, including, without limitation, 8K, 10Q and 10K filings, which have been obtained and are in full force and effect and (B) those consents or authorizations that have been obtained by Guarantor prior to or on the Closing Date.
Guarantor agrees that the foregoing representations and warranties shall be deemed to have been made by Guarantor on the date of each Transaction under the Repurchase Agreement, on and as of such date of the Transaction, as though made hereunder on and as of such date.
9. Financial Covenants.
(b) Guarantor hereby agrees that, until the Repurchase Obligations have been paid in full, Guarantor shall, at all times satisfy the following financial covenants, as tested quarterly or at such other times as required under the Repurchase Agreement:
(i) Guarantor (and its consolidated Subsidiaries) shall have Total Liquidity of not less than the lesser of (i) $10,000,000 and (ii) the greater of (x) $5,000,000 and (y) 5% of Recourse Indebtedness (such amount, “Guarantor’s Minimum Total Liquidity”); provided, in the event that Guarantor’s Total Liquidity shall equal or exceed $5,000,000 (such amount, the “Guarantor’s Actual Total Liquidity”), then Guarantor may satisfy the difference between the Guarantor’s Minimum Total Liquidity requirement and the Guarantor’s Actual Total Liquidity Amount with Available Borrower Capacity;
(ii) Guarantor (and its consolidated Subsidiaries) shall have a ratio of Indebtedness to Tangible Net Worth not more than 4.00 to 1.00;
(iii) Guarantor (and its consolidated Subsidiaries) shall have a ratio of Recourse Indebtedness to Tangible Net Worth not more than 3.00 to 1.00;
(iv) Guarantor shall have a minimum Tangible Net Worth of at least the sum of (i) eighty percent (80%) of Guarantor’s Tangible Net Worth as of September 30, 2013 plus (ii)
eighty percent (80%) of the net proceeds (after deducting transaction costs) Guarantor receives from equity issuances after September 30, 2013.
(v) Guarantor’s Fixed Charge Coverage Ratio for the immediately preceding twelve (12) month period ending on the last day of the applicable Test Period shall be at least 1.25 to 1.00, with compliance to be tested as of the end of each Test Period.
(c) Guarantor’s compliance with the covenants set forth in this Section 9 must be evidenced by the financial statements and by a Covenant Compliance Certificate furnished together therewith, as provided by Seller to Buyer (i) each fiscal quarter and (ii) pursuant to Article 3(f)(iii) of the Repurchase Agreement and compliance with all such covenants are subject to continuing verification of Buyer and Guarantor shall provide information that is reasonably requested by Buyer (to the extent such information can be obtained without undue burden to Seller) with respect to any lawsuits and/or other matters disclosed in any financial statements of Guarantor delivered to Buyer or disclosed in any Form 8-K filed by Guarantor with the Securities and Exchange Commission which would reasonably be expected to have a material adverse effect on Guarantor’s ability to comply with the covenants set forth in this Section 9; provided, that, for the avoidance of doubt, such continued verification shall not obligate Guarantor or Seller to provide additional financial statements or Covenant Compliance Certificates other than those required above, or under Article 12(g) of the Repurchase Agreement.
(d) Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in this Guaranty, in the event that Guarantor, Seller or any Affiliate thereof that is a Subsidiary of Guarantor has entered into or shall enter into or amend any other commercial real estate loan repurchase agreement, warehouse facility or credit facility with any other lender or repurchase buyer with terms more restrictive to the repurchase seller or borrower thereunder than the covenants in this Section 9, then this Section 9 shall be deemed to be automatically modified to such more restrictive terms for so long as (and only for so long as) the more restrictive terms remain in effect.
10. Further Covenants of Guarantor:
(a) Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Corruption and Economic Sanctions.
(i) Guarantor is in compliance, in all material respects, with (A) the Trading with the Enemy Act, as amended, and each of the foreign assets control regulations of the United States Treasury Department (31 CFR, Subtitle B, Chapter V, as amended) and any other applicable enabling legislation or executive order relating thereto, (B) the USA PATRIOT Act, and (C) the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended, and any other applicable anti-bribery laws and regulations. No part of the proceeds of any Transaction will be used, directly or indirectly, for any payments to any governmental official or employee, political party, official of a political party, candidate for political office, or anyone else acting in an official capacity, in order
to obtain, retain or direct business or obtain any improper advantage, in violation of the United States Foreign Corrupt Practices Act of 1977, as amended.
(ii) Guarantor agrees that, from time to time upon the prior written request of Buyer, it shall execute and deliver such further documents, provide such additional information and reports and perform such other acts as Buyer may reasonably request in order to insure compliance with the provisions hereof (including, without limitation, compliance with the USA PATRIOT Act and to fully effectuate the purposes of this Agreement); provided, however, that nothing in this Section 10(b)(ii) shall be construed as requiring Buyer to conduct any inquiry or decreasing Guarantor’s responsibility for its statements, representations, warranties or covenants hereunder. In order to enable Buyer and its Affiliates to comply with any anti-money laundering program and related responsibilities including, but not limited to, any obligations under the USA PATRIOT Act and regulations thereunder, Guarantor on behalf of itself and its Affiliates makes the following representations and covenants to Buyer and its Affiliates, that neither Guarantor, nor, any of its Affiliates, is a Prohibited Person and Guarantor is not acting on behalf of or on behalf of any Prohibited Person. Guarantor agrees to promptly notify Buyer or a person appointed by Buyer to administer their anti-money laundering program, if applicable, of any change in information affecting this representation and covenant.
(b) Office of Foreign Assets Control. Guarantor warrants, represents and covenants that neither Seller, to its Knowledge any of its Affiliates, or the Purchased Assets are or will be an entity or Person that is or is owned or controlled by a Person that is the subject of any Sanctions. Guarantor covenants and agrees that, with respect to the Transactions under this Agreement, none of Guarantor or, to Guarantor’s Knowledge, any of its Affiliates will conduct any business, nor engage in any transaction, Purchased Assets or dealings, with any Person who is the subject of Sanctions. Guarantor further covenants and agrees that it will not, directly or indirectly, use the proceeds of the facility, or lend, contribute or otherwise make available such proceeds to any subsidiary, joint venture partner or other Person to fund or facilitate any activities or business of or with any Person or in any country or territory that, at the time of such funding or facilitation, is the subject of Sanctions.
(e) Limitation on Distributions. After the occurrence and during the continuation of any monetary or material non-monetary Default or any Event of Default, Guarantor shall not declare or make any payment on account of, or set apart assets for, a sinking or other analogous fund for the purchase, redemption, defeasance, retirement or other acquisition of any equity or partnership interest of Guarantor, whether now or hereafter outstanding, or make any other distribution in respect thereof, either directly or indirectly, whether in cash or property or in obligations of Guarantor; provided that, notwithstanding the foregoing, Guarantor shall, during a nonmonetary default of Seller or Guarantor, be permitted to pay any dividends or distributions
necessary to maintain the status of the Guarantor as a real estate investment trust within the meaning of Internal Revenue Code Section 856.
11. [Intentionally Omitted]
12. Severability. Any provision of this Guaranty which is prohibited or unenforceable in any jurisdiction shall, as to such jurisdiction, be ineffective to the extent of such prohibition or unenforceability without invalidating the remaining provisions hereof, and any such prohibition or unenforceability in any jurisdiction shall not invalidate or render unenforceable such provision in any other jurisdiction.
13. Section Headings. The section headings used in this Guaranty are for convenience of reference only and are not to affect the construction hereof or be taken into consideration in the interpretation hereof.
14. No Waiver; Cumulative Remedies. Buyer shall not by any act (except by a written instrument pursuant to Section 15 hereof), delay, indulgence, omission or otherwise be deemed to have waived any right or remedy hereunder or to have acquiesced in any default or event of default or in any breach of any of the terms and conditions hereof. No failure to exercise, nor any delay in exercising, on the part of Buyer, any right, power or privilege hereunder shall operate as a waiver thereof. No single or partial exercise of any right, power or privilege hereunder shall preclude any other or further exercise thereof or the exercise of any other right, power or privilege. A waiver by Buyer of any right or remedy hereunder on any one occasion shall not be construed as a bar to any right or remedy which Buyer would otherwise have on any future occasion. The rights and remedies herein provided are cumulative, may be exercised singly or concurrently and are not exclusive of any rights or remedies provided by law.
15. Waivers and Amendments; Successors and Assigns; Governing Law. None of the terms or provisions of this Guaranty may be waived, amended, supplemented or otherwise modified except by a written instrument executed by Guarantor and Buyer. This Guaranty shall be binding upon the heirs, personal representatives, successors and assigns of Guarantor and shall inure to the benefit of Buyer, and their respective successors and permitted assigns. THIS GUARANTY SHALL BE GOVERNED BY, AND CONSTRUED AND INTERPRETED IN ACCORDANCE WITH, THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK PURSUANT TO SECTIONS 5‑1401 AND 5-1402 OF THE NEW YORK GENERAL OBLIGATIONS LAW WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO THE CONFLICT OF LAW PRINCIPLES THEREOF.
16. Notices. Unless otherwise provided in this Agreement, all notices, consents, approvals and requests required or permitted hereunder shall be given in writing and shall be effective for all purposes if hand delivered or sent by (a) hand delivery, with proof of delivery, (b) certified or registered United States mail, postage prepaid, (c) expedited prepaid delivery service, either
commercial or United States Postal Service, with proof of delivery or (d) by telecopier (with answerback acknowledged) or e-mail provided that such telecopied or e-mailed notice must also be delivered by one of the means set forth above, to the address specified below or at such other address and person as shall be designated from time to time by any party hereto, as the case may be, in a written notice to the other parties hereto in the manner provided for in this Section 16. A notice shall be deemed to have been given: (w) in the case of hand delivery, at the time of delivery, (x) in the case of registered or certified mail, when delivered or the first attempted delivery on a Business Day, (y) in the case of expedited prepaid delivery upon the first attempted delivery on a Business Day, or (z) in the case of telecopier, upon receipt of answerback confirmation, provided that such telecopied notice was also delivered as required in this Section 16. A party receiving a notice that does not comply with the technical requirements for notice under this Section 16 may elect to waive any deficiencies and treat the notice as having been properly given.
with a copy to:
Morgan Stanley Bank, N.A.
1585 Broadway, 25th Floor
New York, New York 10036
Attention: Anthony Preisano
Morgan Stanley Bank, N.A.
One Utah Center, 201 South Main Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111
Morgan Stanley Bank, N.A.
1 New York Plaza, 41st Floor
New York, New York 10004
Attention: Tom O’Donnell
Ropes & Gray LLP
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, New York 10036
Attention: Daniel L. Stanco, Esq.
Ares Commercial Real Estate Corporation
245 Park Avenue, 42nd Floor
New York, New York 10167
Attn: Sumit Sasidharan; Elaine McKay
with a copy to:
Latham & Watkins LLP
885 Third Avenue
New York, New York 10022
Attention: Loren Finegold
17. SUBMISSION TO JURISDICTION; WAIVERS. EACH OF GUARANTOR AND, BY ITS ACCEPTANCE OF THIS GUARANTY, BUYER HEREBY IRREVOCABLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY:
(A) SUBMITS TO THE NON- EXCLUSIVE GENERAL JURISDICTION OF THE COURTS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, THE COURTS OF THE UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF NEW YORK, AND APPELLATE COURTS FROM ANY THEREOF, SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF ANY SUIT, ACTION OR PROCEEDING BROUGHT TO ENFORCE ITS OBLIGATIONS UNDER THIS GUARANTY OR RELATING IN ANY WAY TO THIS GUARANTY, THE REPURCHASE AGREEMENT OR ANY TRANSACTION UNDER THE REPURCHASE AGREEMENT;
(B) CONSENTS THAT ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING MAY BE BROUGHT IN SUCH COURTS AND WAIVES, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT IT MAY EFFECTIVELY DO SO, ANY DEFENSE OF AN INCONVENIENT FORUM TO THE MAINTENANCE OF SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING IN ANY SUCH COURT AND ANY RIGHT OF JURISDICTION ON ACCOUNT OF ITS PLACE OF RESIDENCE OR DOMICILE;
(C) AGREES THAT SERVICE OF PROCESS IN ANY SUCH ACTION OR PROCEEDING MAY BE EFFECTED BY MAILING A COPY THEREOF BY REGISTERED OR CERTIFIED MAIL (OR ANY SUBSTANTIALLY SIMILAR FORM OF MAIL), POSTAGE PREPAID, TO ITS ADDRESS SET FORTH IN SECTION 14 HEREOF OR AT SUCH OTHER ADDRESS OF WHICH BUYER SHALL HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED; AND
(D) AGREES THAT NOTHING HEREIN SHALL AFFECT THE RIGHT TO EFFECT SERVICE OF PROCESS IN ANY OTHER MANNER PERMITTED BY LAW OR SHALL LIMIT THE RIGHT TO SUE IN ANY OTHER JURISDICTION.
18. Integration. This Guaranty represents the agreement of Guarantor with respect to the subject matter hereof and there are no promises or representations by Buyer relative to the subject matter hereof not reflected herein.
19. Counterparts. This Guaranty may be executed in counterparts, each of which so executed shall be deemed to be an original, but all of such counterparts shall together constitute but one and the same instrument. Delivery by telecopier or other electronic transmission (including a .pdf e-mail transmission) of an executed counterpart of a signature page to this Guaranty shall be effective as delivery of an original executed counterpart of this Guaranty.
20. Acknowledgments. Guarantor hereby acknowledges that:
(a) Guarantor has been advised by counsel in the negotiation, execution and delivery of this Guaranty and the related documents;
(b) Buyer does not have any fiduciary relationship to Guarantor, and the relationship between Buyer, on the one hand, and Guarantor, on the other, is solely that of creditor and surety; and
(c) no joint venture exists between or among any of Buyer, Guarantor and/or Seller.
21. Intent. Guarantor (a) acknowledges that each of the Repurchase Agreement and each Transaction thereunder constitutes a “securities contract” as that term is defined in Section 741(7)(A)(i) of the Bankruptcy Code and a “master netting agreement” as that term is defined in Section 101(38A)(A) of the Bankruptcy Code, (b) intends and acknowledges that this Guaranty is “a security agreement or arrangement or other credit enhancement” that is “related to” and provided “in connection with” the Repurchase Agreement and each Transaction thereunder and is within the meaning of Sections 101(38A)(A), 101(47)(a)(v) and 741(7)(A)(xi) of the Bankruptcy Code and is, therefore, (i) a “securities contract” as that term is defined in Section 741(7)(A)(xi) of the Bankruptcy Code and (ii) a “master netting agreement” as that term is defined in Section 101(38A) of the Bankruptcy Code and (c) intends and acknowledges that any party's right to cause the termination, liquidation or acceleration of, or to offset net termination values, payment amounts or other transfer obligations arising under or in connection with the Repurchase Agreement and this Guaranty is in each case a contractual right to cause the termination, liquidation or acceleration of, or to offset net termination values, payment amounts or other transfer obligations arising under or in connection with this Guaranty as described in Sections 555 and 561 of the Bankruptcy Code.
21. WAIVERS OF JURY TRIAL. EACH OF GUARANTOR AND, BY ITS ACCEPTANCE OF THIS GUARANTY, BUYER HEREBY IRREVOCABLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY WAIVES TRIAL BY JURY IN ANY LEGAL ACTION OR PROCEEDING ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THIS GUARANTY OR ANY RELATED DOCUMENT AND FOR ANY COUNTERCLAIM HEREIN OR THEREIN.
[REMAINDER OF PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK]
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the undersigned has caused this Parent Guaranty and Indemnity to be duly executed and delivered as of the date first above written.
ARES COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE CORPORATION, a Maryland corporation
By: /s/ Keith Kooper
Name: Keith Kooper
Title: Vice President