Form of 2020 Employee Stock Purchase Plan
ACADEMY SPORTS AND OUTDOORS, INC.
2020 EMPLOYEE STOCK PURCHASE PLAN
1. Purpose. The purpose of the Plan is to provide Eligible Employees (as defined below) with an opportunity to purchase Common Stock through accumulated Contributions. The Company intends for the Plan to have two components: a Code Section 423 Component (423 Component) and a non-Code Section 423 Component (Non-423 Component). The Company intends to have the 423 Component of the Plan qualify as an employee stock purchase plan under Section 423 of the Code. The provisions of the 423 Component, accordingly, will be construed so as to extend and limit Plan participation in a uniform and nondiscriminatory basis consistent with the requirements of Section 423 of the Code. In addition, the Plan authorizes the grant of an option to purchase shares of Common Stock under the Non-423 Component that does not qualify as an employee stock purchase plan under Section 423 of the Code; such an option will be granted pursuant to rules, procedures or sub-plans adopted by the Administrator designed to achieve tax, securities laws or other objectives for Eligible Employees and the Company. Except as otherwise provided herein, the Non-423 Component will operate and be administered in the same manner as the 423 Component.
(a) 423 Component is defined in Section 1 of the Plan.
(b) Administrator means the Committee or the Board.
(c) Affiliate means any entity, other than a Subsidiary, that is an affiliate within the meaning of Rule 12b-2 promulgated under Section 12 of the Exchange Act.
(d) Applicable Laws means the requirements relating to the administration of equity-based awards and the related issuance of shares of Common Stock under U.S. state corporate laws, U.S. federal and state securities laws, the Code, any stock exchange or quotation system on which the Common Stock is listed or quoted and the applicable securities and exchange control laws of any foreign country or jurisdiction where options are, or will be, granted under the Plan.
(e) Beneficial Owner means a beneficial owner as determined under Rule 13d-3 under the Exchange Act.
(f) Board means the Board of Directors of the Company.
(g) Change in Control shall have the meaning given such term in the Academy Sports and Outdoors, Inc. 2020 Omnibus Incentive Plan or any successor plan thereto, in each case, as amended and/or restated from time to time.
(h) Code means the U.S. Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended. References to a specific Section of the Code or U.S. Treasury Regulation thereunder will include such Section or regulation, any valid regulation or other official applicable guidance promulgated under such Section, and any comparable provision of any future legislation or regulation amending, supplementing or superseding such Section or regulation.
(i) Committee means the Compensation Committee of the Board, and any successor committee thereto or such other committee of the Board as may be designated by the Board to administer the Plan in whole or in part, including any subcommittee of the Board as designated by the Board in accordance with Section 14 hereof.
(j) Common Stock means the common stock of the Company, par value $0.01 per share (and any stock or other securities into which such Common Stock may be converted or into which it may be exchanged).
(k) Company means Academy Sports and Outdoors, Inc., a Delaware corporation, and any successor thereto.
(l) Compensation means an Eligible Employees base salary or hourly wages. The Administrator, in its discretion, may, on a uniform and nondiscriminatory basis, establish a different definition of Compensation for a subsequent Offering Period.
(m) Contributions means the payroll deductions and other additional payments that the Company may permit to be made by a Participant to fund the exercise of options granted pursuant to the Plan.
(n) Designated Company means any Subsidiary or Affiliate that has been designated by the Administrator from time to time in its sole discretion as eligible to participate in the Plan. For purposes of the 423 Component, only the Company and its Subsidiaries may be Designated Companies; provided, that at any given time, a Subsidiary that is a Designated Company under the 423 Component shall not be a Designated Company under the Non-423 Component. The Designated Companies under the Plan are set forth in Exhibit A attached hereto.
(o) Director means a member of the Board.
(p) Eligible Employee means any individual who is a common law employee providing services to the Company or a Designated Company and has completed at least twelve (12) consecutive calendar months of service since his or her last hire date (or such lesser period of time as may be determined by the Administrator in its discretion). For purposes of the Plan, the employment relationship will be treated as continuing intact while the individual is on sick leave or other leave of absence that the Employer approves or is legally protected under applicable laws. Where the period of leave exceeds three (3) months and the individuals right to reemployment is not guaranteed either by statute or by contract, the employment relationship will be deemed to have terminated three (3) months and one (1) day following the commencement of such leave. The Administrator, in its discretion, from time to time may, prior to an Enrollment Date for all options to be granted on such Enrollment Date in an Offering, determine (for each Offering under the 423 Component, on a uniform and nondiscriminatory basis or as otherwise permitted by Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2) that the definition of Eligible Employee will or will not include an individual if he or she: (i) is a highly compensated employee within the meaning of Section 414(q) of the Code, or (ii) is a highly compensated employee within the meaning of Section 414(q) of the Code with compensation above a certain level or is an officer or subject to the disclosure requirements of Section 16(a) of the Exchange Act; provided, that the exclusion is applied with respect to each Offering under the 423 Component in an identical manner to all highly compensated employees of the Employer whose employees are participating in that Offering. Each exclusion shall be applied with respect to an Offering under a 423 Component in a manner complying with U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(e)(2)(ii). Such exclusions may be applied with respect to an Offering under the Non-423 Component without regard to the limitations of Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2.
(q) Employer means the employer of the applicable Eligible Employee(s).
(r) Enrollment Date means the first Trading Day of each Offering Period.
(s) Enrollment Window is defined in Section 5(a) of the Plan.
(t) Exchange Act means the U.S. Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, including the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder.
(u) Exercise Date means the last Trading Day of each Purchase Period.
(v) Fair Market Value means, on a given date: (i) if the Common Stock is listed on a national securities exchange, the closing sales price of the Common Stock reported on the primary exchange on which the Common Stock is listed and traded on such date, or, if there are no such sales on that date, then on the last preceding date on which such sales were reported; (ii) if the Common Stock is not listed on any national securities exchange but is quoted in an inter-dealer quotation system on a last-sale basis, the average between the closing bid price and ask price reported on such date, or, if there is no such sale on that date, then on the last preceding date on which a sale was reported; or (iii) if the Common Stock is not listed on a national securities exchange or quoted in an inter-dealer quotation system on a last-sale basis, the amount determined by the Board in good faith to be the fair market value of the Common Stock.
(w) Fiscal Year means the fiscal year of the Company.
(x) Group shall have the meaning given the term for purposes of Section 13(d)(3) of the Exchange Act.
(y) New Exercise Date means a new Exercise Date if the Administrator shortens any Offering Period then in progress.
(z) Non-423 Component is defined in Section 1 of the Plan.
(aa) Offering means an offer under the Plan of an option that may be exercised during an Offering Period as further described in Section 4 of the Plan. For purposes of the Plan, the Administrator may designate separate Offerings under the Plan (the terms of which need not be identical) in which Eligible Employees of one or more Employers will participate, even if the dates of the applicable Offering Periods of each such Offering are identical and the provisions of the Plan will separately apply to each Offering. To the extent permitted by U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(a)(1), the terms of each Offering need not be identical; provided, that the terms of the Plan and an Offering together satisfy U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(a)(2) and (a)(3).
(bb) Offering Periods means the periods of approximately six (6) months or such other period or periods set by the Administrator during which an option may be granted pursuant to the Plan and may be exercised, as determined under Section 4 of the Plan. The duration and timing of Offering Periods may be changed pursuant to Sections 4 and 20 of the Plan.
(cc) Other Extraordinary Event is defined in Section 19(a) of the Plan.
(dd) Parent means a parent corporation, whether now or hereafter existing, as defined in Section 424(e) of the Code.
(ee) Participant means an Eligible Employee that participates in the Plan.
(ff) Person means an individual, entity or group.
(gg) Plan means this Academy Sports and Outdoors, Inc. 2020 Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
(hh) Proceeding is defined in Section 30 of the Plan.
(ii) Purchase Period means, unless changed by the Administrator, the approximately six (6) month period commencing after one Exercise Date and ending with the next Exercise Date. Unless otherwise determined by the Administrator, the Purchase Period will have the same duration and coincide with the length of the Offering Period.
(jj) Purchase Price means an amount equal to eighty-five percent (85%) of the Fair Market Value of a share of Common Stock on the Enrollment Date or on the Exercise Date, whichever is lower; provided, that the Purchase Price may be determined for subsequent Offering Periods by the Administrator subject to compliance with Section 423 of the Code (or any successor rule or provision or any other Applicable Law, regulation or stock exchange rule) or pursuant to Section 20 of the Plan.
(kk) Subsidiary means a subsidiary corporation, whether now or hereafter existing, as defined in Section 424(f) of the Code.
(ll) Trading Day means a day on which the national stock exchange upon which the Common Stock is listed is open for trading.
(mm) U.S. Treasury Regulations means the Treasury regulations of the Code. References to a specific Treasury Regulation or Section of the Code shall include such Treasury Regulation or Section, any valid regulation promulgated under such Section, and any comparable provision of any future legislation or regulation amending, supplementing or superseding such Section or regulation.
(a) First Offering Period. Any individual who is an Eligible Employee immediately prior to the first Offering Period will be automatically enrolled in the first Offering Period, subject to the provisions of Section 5 of the Plan.
(b) Subsequent Offering Periods. Any Eligible Employee on a given Enrollment Date following the first Offering Period will be eligible to participate in the Plan, subject to the requirements of Section 5 of the Plan.
(c) Non-U.S. Employees. Eligible Employees who are citizens or residents of a non-U.S. jurisdiction (without regard to whether they also are citizens or residents of the United States or resident aliens (within the meaning of Section 7701(b)(1)(A) of the Code)) may be excluded from participation in the Plan or an Offering if the participation of such Eligible Employees is prohibited under the laws of the applicable jurisdiction or if complying with the laws of the applicable jurisdiction would cause the Plan or an Offering to violate Section 423 of the Code. In the case of the Non-423 Component, an Eligible Employee may be excluded from participation in the Plan or an Offering if the Administrator has determined that participation of such Eligible Employee is not advisable or practicable.
(d) Limitations. Any provisions of the Plan to the contrary notwithstanding, no Eligible Employee will be granted an option under the Plan (i) to the extent that, immediately after the grant, such Eligible Employee (or any other Person whose stock would be attributed to such Eligible Employee pursuant to Section 424(d) of the Code) would own capital stock of the Company or any Parent or Subsidiary of the Company and/or hold outstanding options to purchase such stock possessing five percent (5%) or more of the total combined voting power or value of all classes of the capital stock of the Company or of any Parent or Subsidiary of the Company, or (ii) to the extent that his or her rights to purchase stock under all employee stock purchase plans (as defined in Section 423 of the Code) of the
Company or any Parent or Subsidiary of the Company accrues at a rate that exceeds twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) worth of stock (determined at the Fair Market Value of the stock at the time such option is granted) for each calendar year in which such option is outstanding at any time, as determined in accordance with Section 423 of the Code and the regulations thereunder.
4. Offering Periods.
(a) Frequency and Duration. The Administrator may establish Offering Periods of such frequency and duration as it may from time to time determine as appropriate.
(b) First Offering Period. The first Offering Period under the Plan shall commence on the date determined by the Administrator and shall end on the last Trading Day on or immediately preceding the earlier to occur of June 30 or December 31 of the year in which the first Offering Period commences.
(c) Successive Offering Periods. Unless the Administrator determines otherwise, following the completion of the first Offering Period, a new Offering Period shall commence on the first Trading Day on or following January 1 and July 1 of each calendar year and end on or following the last Trading Day on or immediately preceding June 30 and December 31, respectively, approximately six (6) months later.
(d) Additional Offering Periods. At the discretion of the Administrator, additional Offering Periods may be conducted under the Plan. Such additional Offering Periods may, but need not, qualify under Section 423 of the Code. The Administrator shall determine the commencement and duration of each additional Offering Period, and additional Offering Periods may be consecutive or overlapping. The other terms and conditions of each additional Offering Period shall be those set forth in the Plan document, with such changes or additional features as the Administrator determines necessary to comply with Section 423 of the Code (or any successor rule or provision or any other Applicable Law, regulation or stock exchange rule). The Administrator shall have the power to change the duration of Offering Periods (including the commencement dates thereof) with respect to future Offerings without stockholder approval.
(e) Offering Period Limit. No Offering Period may last more than twenty-seven (27) months.
(f) Applicable Offering Period. For purposes of calculating the Purchase Price, the applicable Offering Period shall be determined as follows: Once a Participant is enrolled in the Plan for an Offering Period, such Offering Period shall continue to apply to him or her until the earliest of (x) the end of such Offering Period, or (y) the end of his or her participation under Section 10 of the Plan.
(a) First Offering Period. An Eligible Employee will be entitled to continue to participate in the first Offering Period pursuant to Section 3(a) of the Plan only if such individual submits a subscription agreement authorizing Contributions in a form determined by the Administrator (which may be similar to the form attached hereto as Exhibit A) to the Companys designated third-party broker/plan administrator (i) no earlier than the effective date of the Form S-8 registration statement that registers the offer and sale of Common Stock under the Plan and (ii) no later than ten (10) business days following the effective date of such S-8 registration statement or such other period of time as the Administrator may determine (the Enrollment Window).
(b) Subsequent Offering Periods. Once an Eligible Employee begins participation in an Offering Period, then such Eligible Employee will automatically participate in each subsequent Offering
Period unless the Eligible Employee withdraws or is deemed to withdraw from this Plan or terminates further participation in an Offering Period as set forth in Section 10 below. An Eligible Employee who is continuing participation pursuant to the immediately preceding sentence is not required to file any additional subscription agreement in order to continue participation in this Plan; during each subsequent Offering Period an Eligible Employee who is not continuing participation pursuant to the immediately preceding sentence is required to file a subscription agreement prior to the commencement of the Offering Period (or such earlier date as the Administrator may determine) to which such agreement relates in order to participate in such Offering Period.
(a) At the time a Participant enrolls in the Plan pursuant to Section 5 of the Plan, he or she will elect to have Contributions (in the form of payroll deductions or otherwise, to the extent permitted by the Administrator) made on each pay day during the Offering Period in an amount not exceeding fifteen percent (15%) of the Compensation, which he or she receives on each pay day during the Offering Period (for illustrative purposes, should a pay day occur on an Exercise Date, a Participant will have any payroll deductions made on such day applied to his or her account under the then-current Purchase Period or Offering Period). The Administrator, in its sole discretion, may permit all Participants in a specified Offering to contribute amounts to the Plan through payment by cash, check or other means set forth in the subscription agreement prior to each Exercise Date of each Purchase Period. A Participants subscription agreement will remain in effect for successive Offering Periods unless terminated as provided in Section 10 hereof.
(b) In the event Contributions are made in the form of payroll deductions, such payroll deductions for a Participant will commence on the first day of the payroll cycle following the Enrollment Date and will end on the last pay day prior to the Exercise Date of such Offering Period to which such authorization is applicable, unless sooner terminated by the Participant as provided in Section 10 hereof; provided, that for the first Offering Period, payroll deductions will commence on the first day of the payroll cycle following the end of the Enrollment Window.
(c) All Contributions made for a Participant will be credited to his or her account under the Plan, and Contributions will be made in whole percentages of Compensation only. A Participant may not make any additional payments into such account.
(d) A Participant may discontinue his or her participation in the Plan as provided in Section 10 of the Plan. If permitted by the Administrator, as determined in its sole discretion, a Participant may, on a single occasion, reduce his or her rate of contribution during an on-going Offering Period by filing with the Companys designated third-party broker/plan administrator a new authorization for payroll deductions, with the new rate to become effective as soon as reasonably practicable and continuing for the remainder of the Offering Period.
(e) To the extent necessary to comply with Section 423(b)(8) of the Code and Section 3(d) hereof, a Participants Contributions may be decreased to zero percent (0%) at any time during a Purchase Period. Subject to Section 423(b)(8) of the Code and Section 3(d) hereof, Contributions will recommence at the rate originally elected by the Participant effective as of the beginning of the first Purchase Period scheduled to end in the following calendar year, unless terminated by the Participant as provided in Section 10 of the Plan.
(f) Notwithstanding any provisions to the contrary in the Plan, the Administrator may allow Eligible Employees to participate in the Plan via cash contributions instead of payroll deductions if (i) payroll deductions are not permitted under applicable local law, (ii) the Administrator determines that cash contributions are permissible under Section 423 of the Code or (iii) for Participants participating in the Non-423 Component.
(g) At the time the option is exercised, in whole or in part, or at the time some or all of the Common Stock issued under the Plan is disposed of (or any other time that a taxable event related to the Plan occurs), the Participant must make adequate provision for the Companys or the Employers federal, state, local or any other tax liability payable to any authority including taxes imposed by jurisdictions outside of the U.S., national insurance, social security or other tax withholding obligations, if any, which arise upon the exercise of the option or the disposition of the Common Stock (or any other time that a taxable event related to the Plan occurs). At any time, the Company or the Employer may, but will not be obligated to, withhold from the Participants compensation the amount necessary for the Company or the Employer to meet applicable withholding obligations, including any withholding required to make available to the Company or the Employer any tax deductions or benefits attributable to sale or early disposition of Common Stock by the Eligible Employee. In addition, the Company or the Employer may, but will not be obligated to, withhold from the proceeds of the sale of Common Stock or any other method of withholding the Company or the Employer deems appropriate to the extent permitted by U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(f).
7. Grant of Option. On the Enrollment Date of an applicable Offering Period, each Eligible Employee participating in such Offering Period will be granted an option to purchase on each Exercise Date during such Offering Period (at the applicable Purchase Price) up to a number of shares of Common Stock determined by dividing such Eligible Employees Contributions accumulated prior to such Exercise Date and retained in the Eligible Employees account as of the Exercise Date by the applicable Purchase Price; provided, that in no event will an Eligible Employee be permitted to purchase during each Purchase Period more than 1,500 shares of Common Stock and, during any one year period, more than 3,000 shares of Common Stock, subject, in each case, to any adjustment pursuant to Section 19 of the Plan; provided, further, that such purchase will be subject to the limitations set forth in Sections 3(d) and 13 of the Plan. The Eligible Employee may accept the grant of such option (i) with respect to the first Offering Period by submitting a properly completed subscription agreement in accordance with the requirements of Section 5 of the Plan on or before the last day of the Enrollment Window, and (ii) with respect to any subsequent Offering Period under the Plan, by continuing to (or electing to, as applicable) participate in the Plan in accordance with the requirements of Section 5 of the Plan. The Administrator may, for future Offering Periods, increase or decrease, in its absolute discretion, the maximum number of shares of Common Stock that an Eligible Employee may purchase during each Purchase Period of an Offering Period or during any one-year period. Exercise of the option will occur as provided in Section 8, unless the Participant has withdrawn pursuant to Section 10 of the Plan. To the extent not otherwise exercised in full, the option will expire on the last day of the Offering Period.
8. Exercise of Option.
(a) Unless a Participant withdraws from the Plan as provided in Section 10 of the Plan, his or her option for the purchase of shares of Common Stock will be exercised automatically on the Exercise Date, and the maximum number of full shares subject to the option will be purchased for such Participant at the applicable Purchase Price with the accumulated Contributions from his or her account. No fractional shares of Common Stock will be purchased; any Contributions accumulated in a Participants account, which are not sufficient to purchase a full share will be retained in the Participants account for the subsequent Purchase Period or Offering Period, subject to earlier withdrawal by the Participant. Any other funds left over in a Participants account after the Exercise Date will also be retained in the Participants account for the subsequent Purchase Period or Offering Period, subject to earlier withdrawal by the Participant. During a Participants lifetime, a Participants option to purchase shares hereunder is exercisable only by him or her.
(b) If the Administrator determines that, on a given Exercise Date, the number of shares of Common Stock with respect to which options are to be exercised may exceed (i) the number of shares of Common Stock that were available for sale under the Plan on the Enrollment Date of the applicable Offering Period, or (ii) the number of shares of Common Stock available for sale under the Plan on such Exercise Date, the Administrator may in its sole discretion (x) provide that the Company will make a pro rata allocation of the shares of Common Stock available for purchase on such Enrollment Date or Exercise Date, as applicable, in as uniform a manner as will be practicable and as it will determine in its sole discretion to be equitable among all Participants exercising options to purchase Common Stock on such Exercise Date, and continue all Offering Periods then in effect or (y) provide that the Company will make a pro rata allocation of the shares available for purchase on such Enrollment Date or Exercise Date, as applicable, in as uniform a manner as will be practicable and as it will determine in its sole discretion to be equitable among all participants exercising options to purchase Common Stock on such Exercise Date, and terminate any or all Offering Periods then in effect pursuant to Section 20 of the Plan. The Company may make a pro rata allocation of the shares available on the Enrollment Date of any applicable Offering Period pursuant to the preceding sentence, notwithstanding any authorization of additional shares for issuance under the Plan by the Companys stockholders subsequent to such Enrollment Date.
9. Delivery. As soon as reasonably practicable after each Exercise Date on which a purchase of shares of Common Stock occurs, the Company will arrange the delivery to each Participant of the shares purchased upon exercise of his or her option in a form determined by the Administrator (in its sole discretion) and pursuant to rules established by the Administrator. The Company may permit or require that shares be deposited directly with a broker designated by the Company or to a designated agent of the Company, and the Company may utilize electronic or automated methods of share transfer. The Company may require that shares be retained with such broker or agent for a designated period of time and/or may establish other procedures to permit tracking of disqualifying dispositions of such shares. No Participant will have any voting, dividend, or other stockholder rights with respect to shares of Common Stock subject to any option granted under the Plan until such shares have been purchased and delivered to the Participant as provided in this Section 9.
(a) A Participant may withdraw all but not less than all the Contributions credited to his or her account and not yet used to exercise his or her option under the Plan at any time prior to the last thirty (30) days of the applicable Offering Period by (i) submitting to the Companys stock administration office (or its designee) a written notice of withdrawal in the form determined by the Administrator for such purpose (which may be similar to the form attached hereto as Exhibit B), or (ii) following an electronic or other withdrawal procedure determined by the Administrator; provided, that a Participant may not withdraw during any blackout period applicable to such Participant. All of the Participants Contributions credited to his or her account will be paid to such Participant promptly and as soon as administratively feasible after receipt of notice of withdrawal by the Companys stock administration office (or its designee) and such Participants option for the Offering Period will be automatically terminated, and no further Contributions for the purchase of shares will be made for such Offering Period. If a Participant withdraws from an Offering Period, Contributions will not resume at the beginning of the succeeding Offering Period, unless the Participant re-enrolls in the Plan by submitting a subscription agreement to the Companys designated third-party broker/plan administrator prior to the commencement of such succeeding Offering Period.
(b) A Participants withdrawal from an Offering Period will not have any effect upon his or her eligibility to participate in any similar plan that may hereafter be adopted by the Company or in succeeding Offering Periods that commence after the termination of the Offering Period from which the Participant withdraws.
11. Termination of Employment. Upon a Participants ceasing to be an Eligible Employee, for any reason, he or she will be deemed to have elected to withdraw from the Plan and the Contributions credited to such Participants account during the Offering Period but not yet used to purchase shares of Common Stock under the Plan will be returned to such Participant or, in the case of his or her death, to the Person or Persons entitled thereto under Section 15 of the Plan, and such Participants option will be automatically terminated. Unless determined otherwise by the Administrator in a manner that, with respect to an Offering under the 423 Component, is permitted by, and compliant with, Section 423 of the Code, a Participant whose employment transfers between entities through a termination with an immediate rehire (with no break in service) by the Company or a Designated Company shall not be treated as terminated under the Plan; provided, however, that no Participant shall be deemed to switch from an Offering under the Non-423 Component to an Offering under the 423 Component or vice versa unless (and then only to the extent) such switch would not cause the 423 Component or any Option thereunder to fail to comply with Section 423 of the Code.
12. Interest. No interest will accrue on the Contributions of a participant in the Plan, except as may be required by Applicable Law, as determined by the Company, and if so required by the laws of a particular jurisdiction, shall, with respect to Offerings under the 423 Component, apply to all Participants in the relevant Offering, except to the extent otherwise permitted by U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(f).
(a) Subject to adjustment upon changes in capitalization of the Company as provided in Section 19 hereof, the aggregate number of shares of Common Stock available for the issuance of shares pursuant to the Plan shall be no more than 1,000,000 shares, which number shall be automatically increased on the first day of each fiscal year following the fiscal year in which the Effective Date falls in an amount equal to the least of (x) 1,000,000 shares of Common Stock, (y) 2% of the total number of all classes of the Companys common stock outstanding on the last day of the immediately preceding fiscal year and (z) a lower number of shares of Common Stock as determined by the Board.
(b) Until the shares of Common Stock are issued (as evidenced by the appropriate entry on the books of the Company or of a duly authorized transfer agent of the Company), a Participant will only have the rights of an unsecured creditor with respect to such shares, and no right to vote or receive dividends or any other rights as a stockholder will exist with respect to such shares.
(c) Shares of Common Stock to be delivered to a Participant under the Plan will be registered in the name of the Participant or in the name of the Participant and his or her spouse.
14. Administration. The Plan will be administered by the Board or a Committee appointed by the Board, which Committee will be constituted to comply with Applicable Laws. The Administrator will have full and exclusive discretionary authority to construe, interpret and apply the terms of the Plan, to designate separate Offerings under the Plan, to designate Subsidiaries and Affiliates as participating in the 423 Component or Non-423 Component, to determine eligibility, to adjudicate all disputed claims filed under the Plan and to establish such procedures that it deems necessary for the administration of the Plan (including, without limitation, to adopt such procedures and sub-plans as are necessary or appropriate to permit the participation in the Plan by employees who are foreign nationals or employed outside the U.S., the terms of which sub-plans may take precedence over other provisions of the Plan, with the exception of Section 13(a) hereof, but unless otherwise superseded by the terms of such sub-plan, the provisions of the Plan shall govern the operation of such sub-plan). Unless otherwise determined by the Administrator, the employees eligible to participate in each sub-plan will participate in a separate Offering and will be in the Non-423 Component, unless such designation would cause the 423 Component to violate the requirements
of Section 423 of the Code. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, the Administrator is specifically authorized to adopt rules and procedures regarding eligibility to participate, the definition of Compensation, handling of Contributions, making of Contributions to the Plan (including, without limitation, in forms other than payroll deductions), establishment of bank or trust accounts to hold Contributions, payment of interest, conversion of local currency, obligations to pay payroll tax, determination of beneficiary designation requirements, withholding procedures and handling of stock certificates that vary with applicable local requirements. The Administrator also is authorized to determine that, to the extent permitted by U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(f), the terms of an option granted under the Plan or an Offering to citizens or residents of a non-U.S. jurisdiction will be less favorable than the terms of options granted under the Plan or the same Offering to employees resident solely in the U.S. Every finding, decision and determination made by the Administrator will, to the full extent permitted by law, be final and binding upon all parties.
15. Designation of Beneficiary.
(a) If permitted by the Administrator, a Participant may file a designation of a beneficiary who is to receive any shares of Common Stock and cash, if any, from the Participants account under the Plan in the event of such Participants death subsequent to an Exercise Date on which the option is exercised but prior to delivery to such Participant of such shares and cash. In addition, if permitted by the Administrator, a Participant may file a designation of a beneficiary who is to receive any cash from the Participants account under the Plan in the event of such Participants death prior to exercise of the option. If a Participant is married and the designated beneficiary is not the spouse, spousal consent will be required for such designation to be effective.
(b) Such designation of beneficiary may be changed by the Participant at any time by notice to the Companys stock administration office (or its designee) in a form determined by the Administrator. In the event of the death of a Participant and in the absence of a beneficiary validly designated under the Plan who is living at the time of such Participants death, the Company will deliver such shares and/or cash to the executor or administrator of the estate of the Participant, or if no such executor or administrator has been appointed (to the knowledge of the Company), the Company, in its discretion, may deliver such shares and/or cash to the spouse or to any one or more dependents or relatives of the Participant, or if no spouse, dependent or relative is known to the Company, then to such other Person as the Company may designate.
(c) All beneficiary designations will be in such form and manner as the Administrator may designate from time to time. Notwithstanding Sections 15(a) and (b) above, the Company and/or the Administrator may decide not to permit such designations by Participants in non-U.S. jurisdictions to the extent permitted by U.S. Treasury Regulation Section 1.423-2(f).
16. Transferability. Neither Contributions credited to a Participants account nor any rights with regard to the exercise of an option or to receive shares of Common Stock under the Plan may be assigned, transferred, pledged or otherwise disposed of in any way (other than by will, the laws of descent and distribution or as provided in Section 15 hereof) by the Participant. Any such attempt at assignment, transfer, pledge or other disposition will be without effect, except that the Company may treat such act as an election to withdraw funds from an Offering Period in accordance with Section 10 hereof.
17. Use of Funds. The Company may use all Contributions received or held by it under the Plan for any corporate purpose, and the Company will not be obligated to segregate such Contributions except under Offerings or for Participants in the Non-423 Component for which Applicable Laws require that Contributions to the Plan by Participants be segregated from the Companys general corporate funds and/or deposited with an independent third party.
18. Reports. Individual accounts will be maintained for each Participant in the Plan. Statements of account will be given to participating Eligible Employees at least annually, which statements will set forth the amounts of Contributions, the Purchase Price, the number of shares of Common Stock purchased and the remaining cash balance, if any.
19. Adjustments, Dissolution, Liquidation, Merger or Change in Control.
(a) Adjustments. In the event that any subdivision or consolidation of outstanding shares of Common Stock, declaration of a dividend payable in shares of Common Stock or other stock split, other recapitalization or capital reorganization of the Company, any consolidation or merger of the Company with another corporation or entity, the adoption by the Company of any plan of exchange affecting the Common Stock or any distribution to holders of Common Stock of securities or property (other than normal cash dividends or dividends payable in Common Stock), the Administrator, in order to prevent dilution or enlargement of the benefits or potential benefits intended to be made available under the Plan, will, in such manner as it may deem equitable, adjust the number and class of Common Stock that may be delivered under the Plan, the Purchase Price per share and the number of shares of Common Stock covered by each option under the Plan that has not yet been exercised, and the numerical limits of Sections 7 and 13 of the Plan.
(b) Dissolution or Liquidation. In the event of the proposed dissolution or liquidation of the Company, any Offering Period then in progress will be shortened by setting a New Exercise Date, and will terminate immediately prior to the consummation of such proposed dissolution or liquidation, unless provided otherwise by the Administrator. The New Exercise Date will be before the date of the Companys proposed dissolution or liquidation. The Companys stock administration office (or its designee) will notify each Participant in writing or electronically, prior to the New Exercise Date, that the Exercise Date for the Participants option has been changed to the New Exercise Date and that the Participants option will be exercised automatically on the New Exercise Date, unless prior to such date the Participant has withdrawn from the Offering Period as provided in Section 10 hereof.
(c) Merger or Change in Control. In the event of a merger or Change in Control, each outstanding option will be assumed or an equivalent option substituted by the successor corporation or a Parent or Subsidiary of the successor corporation. In the event that the successor corporation refuses to assume or substitute for the option, the Offering Period with respect to which such option relates will be shortened by setting a New Exercise Date on which such Offering Period shall end. The New Exercise Date will occur before the date of the Companys proposed merger or Change in Control. The Companys stock administration office (or its designee) will notify each Participant in writing or electronically prior to the New Exercise Date, that the Exercise Date for the Participants option has been changed to the New Exercise Date and that the Participants option will be exercised automatically on the New Exercise Date, unless prior to such date the Participant has withdrawn from the Offering Period as provided in Section 10 hereof.
20. Amendment or Termination.
(a) The Board or the Administrator, in its sole discretion, may amend, suspend, or terminate the Plan, or any part thereof, at any time and for any reason. If the Plan is terminated, the Board or the Administrator, in its discretion, may elect to terminate all outstanding Offering Periods either immediately or upon completion of the purchase of shares of Common Stock on the next Exercise Date (which may be sooner than originally scheduled, if determined by the Administrator in its discretion), or may elect to permit Offering Periods to expire in accordance with their terms (and subject to any adjustment pursuant to Section 19 hereof). If the Offering Periods are terminated prior to expiration, all amounts then credited to Participants accounts that have not been used to purchase shares of Common Stock will be returned to the Participants (without interest thereon, except as otherwise required under Applicable Laws, as further set forth in Section 12 hereof) as soon as administratively practicable.
(b) Without stockholder consent and without limiting Section 20(a) hereof, the Administrator will be entitled to change the Offering Periods or Purchase Periods, designate separate Offerings, limit the frequency and/or number of changes in the amount withheld during an Offering Period, establish the exchange ratio applicable to amounts withheld in a currency other than U.S. dollars, permit Contributions in excess of the amount designated by a Participant in order to adjust for delays or mistakes in the Companys processing of properly completed Contribution elections, establish reasonable waiting and adjustment periods and/or accounting and crediting procedures to ensure that amounts applied toward the purchase of Common Stock for each Participant properly correspond with Contribution amounts, and establish such other limitations or procedures as the Administrator determines in its sole discretion advisable that are consistent with the Plan.
(c) In the event the Administrator determines that the ongoing operation of the Plan may result in unfavorable financial accounting consequences, the Administrator may, in its discretion and, to the extent necessary or desirable, modify, amend or terminate the Plan to reduce or eliminate such accounting consequence including, but not limited to:
(i) amending the Plan to conform with the safe harbor definition under the Financial Accounting Standards Board Accounting Standards Codification Topic 718 (or any successor thereto), including with respect to an Offering Period underway at the time;
(ii) altering the Purchase Price for any Offering Period or Purchase Period including an Offering Period or Purchase Period underway at the time of the change in Purchase Price;
(iii) shortening any Offering Period or Purchase Period by setting a New Exercise Date, including an Offering Period or Purchase Period underway at the time of the Administrator action;
(iv) reducing the maximum percentage of Compensation a Participant may elect to set aside as Contributions; and
(v) reducing the maximum number of shares of Common Stock a Participant may purchase during any Offering Period or Purchase Period.
Such modifications or amendments will not require stockholder approval or the consent of any Plan Participants.
21. Notices. All notices or other communications by a Participant to the Company under or in connection with the Plan will be deemed to have been duly given when received by the Companys stock administration office (or its designee) in the form and manner specified by the Companys stock administration office (or its designee)at the location, or by the Person, designated by the Companys stock administration office (or its designee) for the receipt thereof.
22. Conditions Upon Issuance of Shares.
(a) Shares of Common Stock will not be issued with respect to an option unless the exercise of such option and the issuance and delivery of such shares pursuant thereto will comply with all applicable provisions of law, domestic or foreign, including, without limitation, the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, the Exchange Act, the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, and the requirements of any stock exchange upon which the shares may then be listed, and will be further subject to the approval of counsel for the Company with respect to such compliance.
(b) As a condition to the exercise of an option, the Company may require the Person exercising such option to represent and warrant at the time of any such exercise that the shares are being purchased only for investment and without any present intention to sell or distribute such shares if, in the opinion of counsel for the Company, such a representation is required by any of the aforementioned applicable provisions of law.
23. Data Protection. By participating in the Plan or accepting any rights granted under it, each Participant consents to the collection and processing of personal data relating to the Participant so that the Company and its Affiliates can fulfill their obligations and exercise their rights under the Plan and generally administer and manage the Plan. This data will include, but may not be limited to, data about participation in the Plan and shares offered or received, purchased, or sold under the Plan from time to time and other appropriate financial and other data about the Participant and the Participants participation in the Plan.
24. Code Section 409A. The 423 Component of the Plan is exempt from the application of Code Section 409A and any ambiguities herein will be interpreted to so be exempt from Code Section 409A. In furtherance of the foregoing and notwithstanding any provision in the Plan to the contrary, if the Administrator determines that an option granted under the Plan may be subject to Code Section 409A or that any provision in the Plan would cause an option under the Plan to be subject to Code Section 409A, the Administrator may amend the terms of the Plan and/or of an outstanding option granted under the Plan, or take such other action the Administrator determines is necessary or appropriate, in each case, without the Participants consent, to exempt any outstanding option or future option that may be granted under the Plan from or to allow any such options to comply with Code Section 409A, but only to the extent any such amendments or action by the Administrator would not violate Code Section 409A. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Company shall have no liability to a Participant or any other party if the option to purchase Common Stock under the Plan that is intended to be exempt from or compliant with Code Section 409A is not so exempt or compliant or for any action taken by the Administrator with respect thereto. The Company makes no representation that the option to purchase Common Stock under the Plan is compliant with Code Section 409A.
25. Term of Plan. The Plan will become effective upon the earlier to occur of its adoption by the Board or its approval by the stockholders of the Company (the Effective Date). It will continue in effect for a term of ten (10) years, unless sooner terminated under Section 20 of the Plan.
26. Stockholder Approval. The Plan will be subject to approval by the stockholders of the Company within twelve (12) months before or after the date the Plan is adopted by the Board. Such stockholder approval will be obtained in the manner and to the degree required under Applicable Laws.
27. Governing Law. The Plan shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of Delaware (except its choice-of-law provisions).
28. No Right to Employment. Participation in the Plan by a Participant shall not be construed as giving a Participant the right to be retained as an employee of the Company or a Subsidiary or Affiliate, as applicable. Furthermore, the Employer may dismiss a Participant from employment at any time, free from any liability or any claim under the Plan.
29. Severability. If any provision of the Plan is or becomes or is deemed to be invalid, illegal, or unenforceable for any reason in any jurisdiction or as to any Participant, such invalidity, illegality or
unenforceability shall not affect the remaining parts of the Plan, and the Plan shall be construed and enforced as to such jurisdiction or Participant as if the invalid, illegal or unenforceable provision had not been included.
30. Compliance with Applicable Laws. The terms of the Plan are intended to comply with all Applicable Laws and will be construed accordingly.
31. Jurisdiction; Waiver of Jury Trial. The Plan shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the State of Delaware applicable to contracts made and performed wholly within the State of Delaware, without giving effect to the conflict of laws provisions thereof. EACH PARTICIPANT IRREVOCABLY WAIVES ALL RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY IN ANY SUIT, ACTION, OR OTHER PROCEEDING INSTITUTED BY OR AGAINST SUCH PARTICIPANT IN RESPECT OF THE PARTICIPANTS RIGHTS OR OBLIGATIONS HEREUNDER.
Form of Subscription Agreement
Form of Notice of Withdrawal